As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cue up The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"

majanzmajanz Registered User regular
Trip to Tokyo this month, I've been here many times before but never for three whole weeks like this trip. I have a few notes on the place:

1) Women play RPGs over here! Go into a games store and check out the smelly back room filled with folding tables and cheap plastic chairs. There will be women playing RPGs in there! I watched one table of all women playing ‘Call of Cthulhu’ and they were loving it! Couldn't understand a word they were saying, I'm not employed for my ability to speak Japanese, but they were laughing and having a great time! And they were into it! They had all the books spread out, the DM had her screen up over her corner of the table, tons of dice, etc. Anyway, they weren't doing it on a lark - they were into it. And they weren’t the only women in the shop.

2) Japanese men are into some freaky shit - and I am too afraid to ask my local coworkers what the heck is going on because as the father of teenage girls I'm not really certain that I want to know!

And I'm not even talking about the naked XXX cartoons – I’ve known about that stuff for ages. Granted, I was NOT aware that even in respectable looking books stores the top floor (or sometimes the basement) is a cornucopia of naked cartoon girls, cartoon boys, furries, tentacle monsters, regular monsters, and OH MY GOD I’VE NOW SEEN ENOUGH OF THIS TO LAST ME THROUGH THE NEXT DECADE!

But no, what I don't get / don't want to know about / are the shops where they have racks and racks of pictures of Japanese girl's, kind of like 5X6 high school yearbook pictures, and the pictures all have a price tag on them. Imagine going into a Hallmark store, but instead of sappy greeting cards it is all pictures of girls in school uniforms. It just reeks of creepy. Super, super, super creepy. Heck, I can’t understand much of the local lingo, so it could be something totally above board and I would never know it! “Help out this young innocent looking girl by buying her school textbooks!”, but from the look of the store's customers - I'm still thinking it’s something super creepy.

3) Maid Cafes – aka Hooters for Nerds. Okay full disclosure; I haven’t actually been inside one - but I have stopped outside a couple to check out the crowd milling about waiting to go inside (thus I’m a lurker not a participant). Asking my coworkers about the cafes it does strike me as the same sort of scam to separate men from cash as used by Hooters. Attractive perky females in titillating costumes sell overpriced food and drinks to horny males. It’s the oldest scam in the book – I myself have fallen for it hundreds of times.

However my favorite Maid Cafe experience was not the cafes themselves but running across two ‘off duty’ maids in a fast food joint after work. Imagine having a job where you are forced to be un-naturally happy for eight hours a day. Then imagine how after work you would drop the act and revert to a more negative persona to bring some balance back into your life. These two maids sharing a serving of French fries in the Lotteteria had the body language and demeanor of two Hell’s Angels hanging out in a dirty biker bar! It was hilarious!

Oh well, time to get some more Sushi!

And if you know what's up with the stores selling picture of teenage girls - and it is something creepy - I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT!

I love Japan, so I am trying to think happy thoughts.

ezz3umlc85nc.jpg

k1jbfluue8d6.jpg

o8z6iayozgm5.jpg

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the high school girl picture thing is definitely...a thing.

Luckily all that stuff you mentioned exists pretty much exclusively in Akihabara, so it's pretty easy to get away from the worst corners of that part of the culture.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    if I were in Japan I think I would want to go see some cool old temples and castles and stuff like that and not creepy pictures of underage cartoon girls

Centipede Damascus on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    no anime threads

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I want to touch the Gundam. I dream the statue will come to life, and I will enter it. A pilot will be chosen, and it will be me.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am in Japan right now waiting for the next leg of my flight to Singapore.

Hello, Japan.

Thank you for having civilized airports with amenities like shower rooms.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    BUY ME GUNDAM

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    BUY ME GUNDAMBLUEBERRY KITKATS

uc3ufTB.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I just wish I could remember if any of the food places at Narita were decent, but it's been a few years.

The airplane food makes my tummy upset.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    no anime threads

I very specifically did not use either the A**** word or the M**** word as they are passe in these parts. :biggrin:

And I've been to the Meiji temple, Emperor's compound, etc., so its not all creepy stuff here.

And I've been to the giant Gundam statue. Its was actually disappointing... :bigfrown: They need to give Disney a big pile of money so they can give it the animatronic treatment just like the Hall of Presidents.

majanz on
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I would play more tabletop in public if it wasn't Such A Thing, yknow

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    come to seattle, tabletop games are all over the place here. If its not a bar dedicated to tabletop games you will more than occasionally see people playing them in coffee shops and even breweries. Yet to see it in a winery though but I bet it happens.

For japan, i would just go to each sushi restraunt and ramen shop I saw until i ran out of money. I would raid the ramen shops.

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    EDIT: Realized what I was saying may be a bit misconstrued and taken as something else. Please ignore.

Sir Platypus on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Japan has a lot of beautiful places to visit. Old castles, temples, parks full of sakura trees in full bloom during April, gardens with those brilliant red leaves in autumn, a clear look at Mt. Fuji, the night lights of the bustling metropolis in Osaka and Tokyo... good times. Food's also great if you're into Japanese.

Haven't been to the northern areas, though, specifically during winter.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    if I were in Japan I think I would want to go see some cool old temples and castles and stuff like that and not creepy pictures of underage cartoon girls

But the creepy pictures of underage girl places are the temples.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Tokyo is... fine.

Central Japan 4eva.
    Kyoto. Nara. Takayama. Sado ga Shima. Osaka.

Dotonbori. Dotonbori, six meals a day.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I just wish I could remember if any of the food places at Narita were decent, but it's been a few years.

Because they overspice it so you can taste it
    The difference in air pressure does interesting things to the human body

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I liked Japan quite a lot during my two-month stay. I'd love to find a job out there and go back for a while.

I went to Japan {really Okinawa] often in the Corps. for either gas to dump off people to pick people up or a number of other reasons mostly we stayed for at most a week and back unto our voyage of the south Pacific.
    The sad part is because we were under the everwatchful eye of either our commander or the MPs because we were just visiting for some reason or another I knew better not to mess up.
    What really the bonkers thing is how often people mess up bad there and at other places.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Hey look, all I know is The Hand wants to awaken some demon-warrior buried underneath Hell's Kitchen.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Because they overspice it so you can taste it
    The difference in air pressure does interesting things to the human body

I saw a TV episode of a cook who had to come up with a menu for an airline company, and that's exactly the thing he's up against - high altitudes reduces the sense of smell and taste. Especially hard when it came to wines.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    It's The Foot you gotta watch out for

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    WHAT.

sig.gif
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I am in Japan right now waiting for the next leg of my flight to Singapore.

Hello, Japan.

Oh crap you've already left?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Where's that ketchem ash guy

Can you join the yakuza

What about the pocky

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pocky is just bad, more expensive Pirouettes.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

they don't make the mint pirouettes anymore though.

So screw those stupid stick cookies.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Anyway you can snag a JR rail pass before you get there? Tokyo is rad and all but if you've been to Tokyo before there is really so much more of the country to see. Kyoto has so many wonderful buildings and so much history, Osaka is just fun, Sapporo is a wonderful city with amazing food and booze. I really should sit down and try to make like, a basic tourist guide to Miyagi or something based off my two years living there. I feel like the Japanese countryside is a really beautiful thing that is really unappreciated by tourists. You could easily spend an amazingly relaxing couple weeks simply going from one relaxing mountainside hotel and hotspring to another in that neck of Japan, mix in some wonderful nature hikes and visits to the hidden tucked away food gems and cafes... Gah I need to plan a return visit.

Inquisitor on
    Where's that ketchem ash guy

Can you join the yakuza

What about the pocky

He was a well thought out and acted troll account
    Lord of Lizardman was his real warhammer army very well painted and modified
    99% of the stuff you saw was just his act his only flaw was using the same photobucket id to post his pics

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anyway you can snag a JR rail pass before you get there? Tokyo is rad and all but if you've been to Tokyo before there is really so much more of the country to see. Kyoto has so many wonderful buildings and so much history, Osaka is just fun, Sapporo is a wonderful city with amazing food and booze. I really should sit down and try to make like, a basic tourist guide to Miyagi or something based off my two years living there. I feel like the Japanese countryside is a really beautiful thing that is really unappreciated by tourists. You could easily spend an amazingly relaxing couple weeks simply going from one relaxing mountainside hotel and hotspring to another in that neck of Japan, mix in some wonderful nature hikes and visits to the hidden tucked away food gems and cafes... Gah I need to plan a return visit.

If you want to hit the countryside, I suggest something around the Central Japan itinerary I did:
    Hotel in Nagano, and stay there for a few days. The city itself is small and explorable in 1-2 days, but quite pretty and relaxed.

From there, a day trip to Matsumoto to see a cool castle (which you can go inside and see a bunch of interesting artifacts, like Edo muskets and shot casting).

Another day trip is Magome, which is a small historical town that requires a bit of work to get to (tain to Nakatsugawa Station, then regular buses to Magome). The town itself is nice, but the main attraction is a reasonably level ~10km hike to the historic town of Tsumago that takes you through the wilderness of Central Japan along an old walking trail used by Edo-era pilgrims. Wonderful forests and creeks, some nice birds, mountains in the distance, it's just wonderful, and this is from someone who always hated hiking. You can set off from Nagano at daybreak and be back in the evening if your pace is good.

Lastly, a little old train can get you from Nagano to Obuse. It's a cute little town that's mostly agricultural, known for its (really nice) apples. Some lovely countryside, and a couple of nice little shrines buried in the hillside forest. Very quiet, with its own charm.

Rural Japan is really nice, and thanks to the train system, you can get pretty remote without much issue. The only place I'd like to visit if not for accessibility problems is central Shikkoku, where you pretty much need a rental car to get around.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

they don't make the mint pirouettes anymore though.

So screw those stupid stick cookies.

Man like...4 years ago they had chocolate and salted caramel pirouettes and they were basically the best so I bought like 5 tins and ate them all in a week. I really, really like the hazelnut ones with some kahlua.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

If you want to hit the countryside, I suggest something around the Central Japan itinerary I did:
    Hotel in Nagano, and stay there for a few days. The city itself is small and explorable in 1-2 days, but quite pretty and relaxed.

From there, a day trip to Matsumoto to see a cool castle (which you can go inside and see a bunch of interesting artifacts, like Edo muskets and shot casting).

Another day trip is Magome, which is a small historical town that requires a bit of work to get to (tain to Nakatsugawa Station, then regular buses to Magome). The town itself is nice, but the main attraction is a reasonably level ~10km hike to the historic town of Tsumago that takes you through the wilderness of Central Japan along an old walking trail used by Edo-era pilgrims. Wonderful forests and creeks, some nice birds, mountains in the distance, it's just wonderful, and this is from someone who always hated hiking. You can set off from Nagano at daybreak and be back in the evening if your pace is good.

Lastly, a little old train can get you from Nagano to Obuse. It's a cute little town that's mostly agricultural, known for its (really nice) apples. Some lovely countryside, and a couple of nice little shrines buried in the hillside forest. Very quiet, with its own charm.

Rural Japan is really nice, and thanks to the train system, you can get pretty remote without much issue. The only place I'd like to visit if not for accessibility problems is central Shikkoku, where you pretty much need a rental car to get around.

Yeah you'd really need a rental car to get around a place like Miyagi, the rail system is only so great in the North and most of the best places are hidden up tiny, winding mountain roads that can barely fit a single car.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Tokyo is... fine.

Central Japan 4eva.
    Kyoto. Nara. Takayama. Sado ga Shima. Osaka.

Dotonbori. Dotonbori, six meals a day.

Yup! All the best parts of Japan are not in Tokyo.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Mother

Fucking

izumo taisha.

The coolest.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Does anyone know anything about skiing in Japan? Is the snow heavy like the pacific northwest or light like Colorado? I really want to go ski where they had the winter Olympics.

Also how much would it cost to go to Japan for say... 2 weeks?

Barcardi on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

I'm not a huge fan of the regular Pocky. but the extra thin ones:
    476_pocky_gokuboso_large.jpg

And the extra fat ones:
    pocky+midi+choc.jpg

Are both delicious.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, so this isn't the masturbation thread?

BLM - ACAB
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Wait, so this isn't the masturbation thread?

I mean, isn't every thread?

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But seriously though, am I the only one for whom the OP struck them as:

"1) girls play games? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? who ever heard of such a thing?

2) ethnocentrism ahoy!"

BLM - ACAB
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    what the hell is that pic of the girl with the pig even

like aren't people embarrassed to have that there