As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That sandwich looked delicious

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of videos from that discussion up on the late show YouTube page. If you grew up watching those folks deadpan their way though conversations with terrible people like I did, it's definitely worth checking out.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    There are a bunch of videos from that discussion up on the late show YouTube page. If you grew up watching those folks deadpan their way though conversations with terrible people like I did, it's definitely worth checking out.

The story that kinda surprised me was Samantha Bee reminiscing about fleeing a pack of angry klansmen. For some reason, that reminded me a lot of a Top Gear episode where Clarkson, Hammond, and May were driving through Alabama.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The story that kinda surprised me was Samantha Bee reminiscing about fleeing a pack of angry klansmen. For some reason, that reminded me a lot of a Top Gear episode where Clarkson, Hammond, and May were driving through Alabama.

Wouldn't they be on the Klan's side?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Wait, who would be on the Klan's side? If you're talking about the Top Gear guys, it should be mentioned that the challenge was "Don't get shot; bonus points if you get your co-hosts shot." The decorations they painted on their co-host's cars were:

Clarkson - "Country Western is rubbish"
    May - "Hillary For President" and "NASCAR sucks"
    Hammond - "Man-Love Rules OK" and "I am bi"

edit - it should also be mentioned that this episode aired in 2007

edit2 - and now that I'm thinking back on it...I don't think it was Bee who was relating the story. I'll have to re-watch the episode (I'm so glad I DVR'd it), but I'm kind of leaning towards it being Colbert who was doing that segment.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Wait, who would be on the Klan's side? If you're talking about the Top Gear guys, it should be mentioned that the challenge was "Don't get shot; bonus points if you get your co-hosts shot." The decorations they painted on their co-host's cars were:

IIRC Clarkson is a huge right wing asshole.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Eh he plays a character that's a huge right wing asshole, and has mentioned that Clarkson the presenter is different than Clarkson the actual person. I doubt he's a fan of Trump or Brexit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2017

He may be an huge asshole. He may be a right-winger. But being both of those does not entail him being sympathetic to the Klan. And, for what it's worth, from what I can find, he was firmly against Brexit.
    Preacher wrote: »

Eh he plays a character that's a huge right wing asshole, and has mentioned that Clarkson the presenter is different than Clarkson the actual person. I doubt he's a fan of Trump or Brexit.

Heh...right after I started writing my response. Yes, he is against Brexit.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

Nope. I remember reading in the press he's like that in real life, too.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/opinion-jeremy-clarksons-time-at-top-gear-is-over-good-riddance/
    In the same way, inappropriate Uncle Clarkson brings the stupidest shit out of those around him. His inappropriate, right-wing, racist, sexist nonsense was kind funny to watch every now and then, but its frequency became troubling, and harder to pass off as harmless fun.

Between abusing former UK PM Gordon Brown over his disability, making light of a woman's murder, causing an international incident between himself and the country of Mexico, being generally racist in India, allegedly using the N-word during filming, more racism and the Argentina thing (which they all claim was an accident), it's probably time Clarkson was on his way, isn't it?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Preacher wrote:

Nope. I remember reading in the press he's like that in real life, too.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/opinion-jeremy-clarksons-time-at-top-gear-is-over-good-riddance/
    In the same way, inappropriate Uncle Clarkson brings the stupidest shit out of those around him. His inappropriate, right-wing, racist, sexist nonsense was kind funny to watch every now and then, but its frequency became troubling, and harder to pass off as harmless fun.

Between abusing former UK PM Gordon Brown over his disability, making light of a woman's murder, causing an international incident between himself and the country of Mexico, being generally racist in India, allegedly using the N-word during filming, more racism and the Argentina thing (which they all claim was an accident), it's probably time Clarkson was on his way, isn't it?

Sorry to keep this derailment going...but just wanted to point out a few things about the first three points that was in that opinion piece:
    1. What disability did Clarkson call out? Being an "idiot" or being "one-eyed" (or being Scottish)? I mean, if it's the one-eyed thing, that seems to be a bit of a descriptor instead of abusing a person over a disability.
    2. "Making light of a woman's murder" by saying that "murdering prostitutes" is a part of the routine job description of a truck/lorry driver? This isn't the first place I've heard that "joke" (which, while crass, isn't exactly "making light of a woman's murder"...would it have been better if he said "pick up and murder homeless men"?)
    3. The Mexico thing was Hammond, not Clarkson.

To bring this derailment back to The Late Show, did anybody else notice that it seemed like there was an abundance of commercial breaks in that episode? I'm finding a LOT of segments to the show on YouTube that weren't on the televised broadcast.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Clarkson is a legitimately terrible person outside the context of the show
    the difference between Clarkson the character and Clarkson the real person is that the character sometimes acts as if he's joking

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    You can be a jerk no matter what your political belief is

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Do you mean Colbert?

• Options

Do you mean Colbert?

Yeah, I corrected in my next post down.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Samantha instead reminisced about stealing a baby and making a mother cry.
    Goodtimes. :D

• Options
    Samantha Bee comments on the Comey circus this week.

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NxenCGfxEk

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Samantha instead reminisced about stealing a baby and making a mother cry.
    Goodtimes. :D

See, I keep hearing references to that, but it wasn't on the televised broadcast. On the aired episode, she talked about 1) gay and lesbian penguins, and 2) her being propositioned to a 4-way with a homophobic racist (the other two members would've been Bee's segment producer (who is a woman) and the homophobe's friend).

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Late Show YouTube has it.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Donald and Colbert are now in some more direct kind of slapfight.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Trump: *publicly goes after Colbert*
    Colbert: Woohoo, I WIN!

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

And the ending is amazing.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

And that's what I was saying in my last post about Top Gear to try to bring it back to TDS:
    To bring this derailment back to The Late Show, did anybody else notice that it seemed like there was an abundance of commercial breaks in that episode? I'm finding a LOT of segments to the show on YouTube that weren't on the televised broadcast.

I mean, I get that there's going to be ad breaks...but out of an hour block, I'd say fully half of that hour was spent on ads. I dunno, it just felt like they truncated the show for us television-watching plebes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Trump: *publicly goes after Colbert*
    Colbert: Woohoo, I WIN!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMvItIDMPU

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Colbert isn't the only one who's reaping the benefits (what little there is) of a Trump presidency:

‘Daily Show With Trevor Noah’ Enjoys Most-Watched Week Ever as Trump Bombshells Mount

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Trevor's "Trump is going to jail" joke.

• Options

Unsurprising, but still good to get the confirmation that the FCC isn't weaponized yet.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVFdsl29s_Q

I am absolutely in stitches.

Great piece.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The Full Frontal crew found the first draft of Gianforte's statement:

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The Daily Show is pretty good at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvWXstffJBQ

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
  • Options

Wow. There's stupid, and then there's that. Did their lawyers explain the concept of discovery to them?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    They're a corporation with money. I think they think they can just bully people into silence and/or retractions.

And it's possible they think HBO is small enough they can bully them, too.

• Options
    Yes please engage in a war against Last Week Tonight. It's not like they didn't specifically bait you into this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They're a corporation with money. I think they think they can just bully people into silence and/or retractions.

And it's possible they think HBO is small enough they can bully them, too.

Well, they know they can just bully people into silence with their money. They've done it before, they'll likely do it again.
    But this time they've targeted people who are (I'm guessing) financially able to fight back, and know they'll get a lot of attention for doing so.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    UPDATED: HBO’s standing by its Englishman, Deadline reports. The premium-cable network issued the following statement: “We have confidence in the staff of Last Week Tonight and do not believe anything in the show this week violated Mr. Murray’s or Murray Energy’s rights.”

Yesssss.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    UPDATED: HBO’s standing by its Englishman, Deadline reports. The premium-cable network issued the following statement: “We have confidence in the staff of Last Week Tonight and do not believe anything in the show this week violated Mr. Murray’s or Murray Energy’s rights.”

Yesssss.

Given that John Oliver SPECIFICALLY mentioned this tactic and that Murray would be doing it, I'm 100% sure he ran it by HBO first.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    "Please program that thrives on publicity, please have a lot more publicity."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    "Please program that thrives on publicity, please have a lot more publicity."

Oh, it goes beyond that. Oliver most likely tailored his claims so that once Massey came swinging, he would be ready with a discovery request.