As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Really sets the bar for “fake it until you make it”.
    Yeah. Maybe I'll make it onto the Forbes list someday too.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I kinda met my Trump saturation point about a month ago and it makes it considerably harder to watch Sam Bee and Trevor Noah as a result.

I'm not saying they should stop, or change a damn thing to accommodate me at all, it's just what it is. Same kinda happened with John Oliver sometime last year. I think they're all great and I enjoy them but fuck I'm exhausted.

I imagine it's like this for a lot of other people, too. It doesn't help that almost every problem they raise to my attention is something I can do fuckall about until November, and maybe not even then. So I go from uninformed, to informed and laughing, to distressed. I just can't process this shit in a healthy way anymore.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I kinda met my Trump saturation point about a month ago and it makes it considerably harder to watch Sam Bee and Trevor Noah as a result.

I'm not saying they should stop, or change a damn thing to accommodate me at all, it's just what it is. Same kinda happened with John Oliver sometime last year. I think they're all great and I enjoy them but fuck I'm exhausted.

I imagine it's like this for a lot of other people, too. It doesn't help that almost every problem they raise to my attention is something I can do fuckall about until November, and maybe not even then. So I go from uninformed, to informed and laughing, to distressed. I just can't process this shit in a healthy way anymore.

Then you might like Wyatt Cenac's show. I recall the first one starting with something like "I know I'm supposed to talk about how Trump is terrible and everything is fucked, but we all know that, and I sure as hell don't know how to fix it. So lets talk about some other stuff I don't know how to fix!"

(Also because I liked it and want to share)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Not a funny thing, but interesting story.

Today, police made an arrest in the the 30+ year cold case of the Golden State Killer (among other names this particular serial killer received). 12 murders, 50+ rapes over a ten year period from '76 to '86. This is the case that Patton Oswalt's wife was pursuing when she died a couple years ago and was writing a book about. She's credited with renewing interest in the case, though police say it wasn't directly responsible for solving the case.

Anyway, he's on Seth Meyers' show tonight by coincidence.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I assume you mean Patton Oswald, not to murderer/rapist.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    I assume you mean Patton Oswald, not to murderer/rapist.

Given that the latter is being held without bail and is not a famous person, yes.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Really sets the bar for “fake it until you make it”.

Fake it until your billionaire dad dies

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Then you might like Wyatt Cenac's show. I recall the first one starting with something like "I know I'm supposed to talk about how Trump is terrible and everything is fucked, but we all know that, and I sure as hell don't know how to fix it. So lets talk about some other stuff I don't know how to fix!"

(Also because I liked it and want to share)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7C8OUZFas

HBO put the full premier on Youtube

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Matt Negrin from the Daily Show edited some of the trump administration departures to We Didn't Start the Fire, and now I want the whole list.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Colbert and the Daily Show react to Kanye West's antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoINhH4gNw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLygCfxeSIg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I suppose this might belong in a thread about the White House Correspondent's Dinner, or maybe even something administration related?

But I think it definitely belongs here, because Michelle Wolf just went on a god damned tear.

A strip off pretty much everyone in that room, and I only wish Trump had been there, because it'd probably have been twice as rough. Based on this, I think she'd have taken Colbert's remarks to Bush and said "Hold my beer."

https://youtu.be/DDbx1uArVOM

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Naturally, our corrupt and sycophantic media hated it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm shocked by the amount of people saying that it was "too mean." Fuck you it was "too mean." Betsy DeVos is destroying our education system, the EPA's funds are being abused for personal use and the environment is getting fucked, the people of Flint still don't have clean water, Republicans are putting party power over integrity of the country, and our president is a fucking lazy idiot ass.

But their problem with mean jokes ;_;

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm shocked by the amount of people saying that it was "too mean." Fuck you it was "too mean." Betsy DeVos is destroying our education system, the EPA's funds are being abused for personal use and the environment is getting fucked, the people of Flint still don't have clean water, Republicans are putting party power over integrity of the country, and our president is a fucking lazy idiot ass.

But their problem with mean jokes ;_;

The Republicans told them to, and all Haberman, Cilizza, etc know is to repeat what their masters say.

• Options
    I hadn't watched the whole thing front to back yet, doing so now. And damn she is hysterical.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Haven't been in a place where I can hear audio, but I've read some. Seems half the stuff isn't jokes, just truthful insults.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Naturally, our corrupt and sycophantic media hated it.

I know we're supposed to support journalists but god damn do they not make it easy

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    CNN has a video on YouTube titled, "Panel: Wolf's one-sided jokes deliver win for Trump"

Yyyyyyyyyyyep. Played right into Wolf's joke.

Edit - Here you go!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wdRTRDgC2U

Henroid on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    "one-sided"?

Do they mean when she called Congress--not the Republicans, but as a whole--a bunch of do-nothings?

Do they mean how the only woman whose features she made fun of were her own?

Do they mean when she knocked Clinton for not going to several key battleground states where she lost?

Do they mean when she referenced Weinstein (yes, he is a horrid sex criminal but he was also strongly in favor of Clinton over Trump)?

Do they mean when she pivoted from beating on liberals sad about Al Franken having to resign to directly referencing Chappaquiddick?

Do they mean when she called the Democrats losers who'll likely get swamped in November by overt white supremacists and documented pedophiles?

Do they mean when she closed with reminding them that Flint Michigan still doesn't have clean water?

Do they mean when she said that CNN has literally broken the news, that the only useful information they provide is Anthony Bourdain telling people where to get good food, that she needled the weird over-earnestness of MSNBC, that Trump has been good for the media because of the amount of money he's made--oh, yes, of course, that's what they mean. They're actually angry that she took them to task. Everything else is a smokescreen. Perhaps a smokey eye screen.

(Also there's this weird subconscious thing where I think a lot of white Americans think Wolf is a black woman and that informs their subconscious reaction to her work.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    It means she didn't worship power at the night designed to do just that.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    What the hell is with the US these days?

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »

This abomination has existed for years, it's not a new thing. It's where Bush made the entire press corps laugh at how uproariously funny it was that he started a war on false pretenses and just couldn't find those WMDs in Iraq. HAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Inertia.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    hippofant on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular

Remember when the GOP office had ballots illegally stored in it and said office burned down? Instead of demanding that something be done, the Democrats urged people to be the bigger man and donate to the people who burned ballots.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Remember when the GOP office had ballots illegally stored in it and said office burned down? Instead of demanding that something be done, the Democrats urged people to be the bigger man and donate to the people who burned ballots.

That really isn't an accurate description of that event.

An incendiary was thrown through the main window of their office at night and swastikas were spraypainted on the building with stuff like "leave town nazi republicans"

As a sign of unity and hopes that these historic tensions could be mitigated, local dems asked folks to chip in to their neighbors in need. Not donate to republican candidates.

Also this was in October before the election and absolutely none of the news coverage talks about ballots because again, before the election.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It was voter registrations as I recall.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The GOP's own statement regarding the event mentioned completed absentee ballots and it was voter registration season. They were trying to give themselves an excuse.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I kept reading about people’s reactions to some joke all weekend and could only imagine “Jesus Christ what could she have said!?”

Then I find out it’s because she said Sanders burns facts and uses the ash to make the perfect Smokey Eye.

How... is that supposed to be a knock about her appearence? Saying sanders wears a Smokey eye eyeliner technique is not derogatory.

This is insane.

This is all just goddamn insane.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    She pointed out that they're all collaborators and they gave us Trump and continue to empower him, so the subhuman courtier press has her marked as an enemy for the rest of time. They're going to go for every single goddamn thing they can against her even if it doesn't make sense. Then, when they have something they actually did and said come up they'll have all of their worthless Villager lanyard asshole friends defend them and say that callout culture has finally gone too far before diving right back into it.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    This is eminently predictable projection

This is all just goddamn projection.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Ah shit there was no Last Week Tonight? I was really looking forward to that this morning, damn it all.

• Options
    They posted on Facebook that they weren't on tonight, so I guess they were trying to get ahead of just that response (to mixed success).

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    My opinions on Michelle Wolf at the correspondents' dinner:

- well-aimed barbs
    - her delivery is painful to me, I really dislike the thing where she constantly does mini joke-explains
    - reaction shots from Kellyanne Conway and Sarah Huckabee Sanders were priceless

• Options
    It is funny our press will attack a comedian who hurt their feelings more than a lawless admin locking people up indefinitely.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    What I've read/seen of her at the Dinner has been mostly unfunny, went places that actually made me feel sympathy for people I didn't think I ever could...

And was Truth to Power, as frankly, most of them deserved it. Still, I'm not sure I'm comfortable rooting for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It is funny our press will attack a comedian who hurt their feelings more than a lawless admin locking people up indefinitely.

Our press is a fucking embarrassment

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And it was awfully cathartic to have someone tell them just how fucking embarrassing they are right to their faces.

Forar on
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Complicit really. They are just as complicit with this admin and the covering for it as the rest of this admin.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Which admin would that be; Bush, Obama, or Trump? Because as far as I can tell, they all (and probably others) fit. I'm also not sure where you're finding positive coverage about Trump, outside of Fox, because the other cable news networks are just barely shy of outright mockery/contempt, at nearly all times. And the big papers hit him and his associates every week, multiple times, with things that would be administration-ending in previous times.

I really don't understand people who think the current problem with our country is that the media just isn't critical enough of Trump. Because they're crazy critical of him. To the point that he's been successful in convincing his base that the MSM is a conspiratorial plot to overthrow him. Which is hilarious, because he's been great for them, frankly.

Senna1 on