As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    At a certain point, they stopped having a full guest panel, and it was just 2 show contributors and a single guest. So for the past few months, it was really just "Larry and 2 contributors discuss shit, and occasionally the guest will chime in".

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Felt like the team was firmly in "no more fucks to give" mode from what I saw/heard last night before falling alseep. I don't usually make it to the panel discussion, but have been enjoying the first one or two segments each week for a while now.

Mike Yard won last night. It was great.

Also I really felt that the nightly show gave me a look at the minority viewpoint on shit that is going on. Samantha Bee is great, as are John and Jon, but as far as being black or another minority they were still reporting on the outside of the issue (Less so Samantha since being a woman there is still a ton of marginalizing and discrimination going on). I'll miss that voice and insight that Larry and his crew brought.

As a minority Larry and his crew had very little appeal to me. They certainly don't speak for all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    At a certain point, they stopped having a full guest panel, and it was just 2 show contributors and a single guest. So for the past few months, it was really just "Larry and 2 contributors discuss shit, and occasionally the guest will chime in".

Which was for the best, since at least most of the Nightly people were dependably funny, while being no less informed than the random celebs. Still annoying when Rory or Ricky would whine about Hillary being a liar or some other low-hanging false equivalence jokes, but Larry actually shut that shit down the last time. He needed to do more of that.

I liked it, I will miss it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I had originally thought it would've more of a My Dinner with Andre sort of thing. People just sitting and talking about whatever topic.

The monologue/skit at the open and the Keep It 100 at the end took too much a way from the panel format. And then them trying to be funny in the panel was always a bit awkward for a show trying to be about 'keeping it 100'.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I am inordinately pleased that last night's LWT did an extended riff on Trump and the book The Kid Who Ran For President, a comparison I made a few weeks ago in the presidential campaign thread.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    There's a subtle brilliance to that segment too: because there's always been a non-zero chance Trump would get to September, see his polls, and bail so he wouldn't "lose". Now LWT has called it out.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which, here is last night's segment.

I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but that's no reason to hold it up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_htSPGAY7I

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shitting on cheese steaks? God damn Oliver.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I am inordinately pleased that last night's LWT did an extended riff on Trump and the book The Kid Who Ran For President, a comparison I made a few weeks ago in the presidential campaign thread.

I have to admit to being tempted to buy the book as a gift and have it shipped to Trump's campaign headquarters (or whatever passes for an HQ), but that would require me looking up the address.
    But, I'm sure I'm not the only one so tempted. I imagine they'll get a fair stack of them in the coming week.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    As someone who otherwise has a lot of love for Philadelphia: The cheez wiz cheesesteak is terrible. It's basically a prank the locals play on themselves.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    As someone who otherwise has a lot of love for Philadelphia: The cheez wiz cheesesteak is terrible. It's basically a prank the locals play on themselves.

Seriously. The "original, authentic" version of some local food is traditionally supposed to be the BEST version, not the worst.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

How much do you want to bet they'll find a way to enter?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Maybe its just me, but when you are accused of being a for profit fuck the children group, maybe offering some contest with a 100k winner is not the best idea...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Nothing in the rules appears to exclude them. Just need to rep a charter school that arguably exists.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the link, sent it to my wife that teaches in a non-profit public (owned and operated by the local school district) charter school. It truly is one of the good ones, but that is in part due to the generally well regarded charter school laws that Wisconsin has.

Now, if I could get the state to stop sending public funds to private schools through it's stupid voucher program that would be great.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also how does that prove him wrong? His argument was that there are good schools, but due to awful regulation there are also many failures which shouldn't be possible with the education of children on the line.

• Options
    Also that schools are a shitty thing to gamble on because its not like kids can just take their business elsewhere, nor should parents have to be worrying if the school they are funding with tax dollars will turn out to be a fucking scam.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

To be honest, I'm still surprised that that segment didn't end with a "...and so we opened our own charter school".

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

To be honest, I'm still surprised that that segment didn't end with a "...and so we opened our own charter school".

While I agree that it'd be funny in principle.

I don't think John would want to fuck with a kid's future just to prove a point.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

While I agree that it'd be funny in principle.

I don't think John would want to fuck with a kid's future just to prove a point.

Hey, they'd only need the kids there for attendance count day. Rent a community center, advertise free ice cream for that day. Do they even check to see the IDs or ages of the kids? Could just be a building of adults that like ice cream.
    Charter School!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Learned something new from TDS--apparently, Americans thought Vladimir Putin was taller than he actually is?

For 16 years now, Russians have jokingly called him, "That short, bald (or boring) colonel." I assumed everyone knew he wasn't a tall guy. And of course, as a short person, I recognize one of my own, so to speak.

Also I've never seen a judo practitioner who wasn't considered "short" by American standards. That might be a coincidence though....

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Learned something new from TDS--apparently, Americans thought Vladimir Putin was taller than he actually is?

For 16 years now, Russians have jokingly called him, "That short, bald (or boring) colonel." I assumed everyone knew he wasn't a tall guy. And of course, as a short person, I recognize one of my own, so to speak.

Also I've never seen a judo practitioner who wasn't considered "short" by American standards. That might be a coincidence though....

Since the taller candidate wins like 70% (I may have made that up, but it feels true and is thus thread appropriate) of our elections, we assume all leaders are tall.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Since the taller candidate wins like 70% (I may have made that up, but it feels true and is thus thread appropriate) of our elections, we assume all leaders are tall.

Really? That often?

I know like...100% of American presidents are not bald since...President Eisenhower, I think. There is, of course, a gag about Imperial Russian and Soviet communist leaders alternating between bald and hairy for almost 300 years.

You learn something new every day.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Trump or False!

Really? That often?

I know like...100% of American presidents are not bald since...President Eisenhower, I think. There is, of course, a gag about Imperial Russian and Soviet communist leaders alternating between bald and hairy for almost 300 years.

Also, facial hair-less for over 100 years now!

• Options
    I know we're off for another couple weeks, but we missed a few of their webisodes, so please enjoy a two-fer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzCgVltuzEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apumpVGBpP8

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Trump or False!

Really? That often?

Also, facial hair-less for over 100 years now!

Well, that's just being cautious. It moderately lowers the chance of electing a dictator.

cairo-conference-from-left-to-right-chiang-kaishek-roosevelt-and-mrs-picture-id152245234

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Westerners almost certainly don't know shit about what Russians call Putin or think of him beyond "They seem to really like him". And photos of him in the news media and such never seem framed to highlight his height so people just kinda assume he's at least average. It's just not a thing that comes up ever really.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Yo I really wish these shows woulsn't take breaks at the same time.

I need my fiiix.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Heh, I know almost only tall judo practioners (Anton Geesink probably the first that comes to my mind), then again Netherlands. I myself was pretty terrible at it though, because I had the wrong build: tall and thin.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    shryke wrote: »

Westerners almost certainly don't know shit about what Russians call Putin or think of him beyond "They seem to really like him". And photos of him in the news media and such never seem framed to highlight his height so people just kinda assume he's at least average. It's just not a thing that comes up ever really.

Given the American fascination with him as a foreign politician (he is by far the best known I think), I'm surprised Americans would be surprised by this. Lots of public photos show the difference. I guess Americans only see very specific photos of him, since in China and Taiwan, it's a known fact that he's "closer to our size." Then again, we short people are probably not as enamored with it as Trevor Noah (and his childlike glee--which is part of his charm? :D ).

Now I have to wonder...do we "shorter" countries trust foreign leaders more or less if they're particularly taller than we are? Are we suspicious of tall foreign leaders? Hmmmm....
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Heh, I know almost only tall judo practioners (Anton Geesink probably the first that comes to my mind), then again Netherlands. I myself was pretty terrible at it though, because I had the wrong build: tall and thin.

I've heard that the Scandinavian countries are, on average, taller than North Americans, so I imagine that's the cause. And I don't think being tall is much help with it, though I only practice Taekwondo, the most mocked of martial arts.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Oh no, my luggage!

*scurries away*

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

When Putin not Putin was on House of Cards he seemed very tall.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited September 2016
    38thDoe wrote: »

When Putin not Putin was on House of Cards he seemed very tall.

Viktor "Not Putin" Petrov is the weird synthesis amalgamation of three different Russian leaders. Biology says he has to be taller than all three.

Also, by the series' own rules, he must've come to power after Pres. Mevedev (hair), who replaced Pres. Putin (bald) around 2004 for whatever reason.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Don't forget the only picture most Westerner's have even seen of Putin is him riding a bear, riding a bear makes you look tall.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    This weekend's LWT short;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2Y6Z-maAU

Can't wait for them to come back, it's going to be another long couple of weeks.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

We will all reminisce about the before time...

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm not sure if this is a sign of a end of congenial, "trying to be a network late show host who treats both sides sort of the same" Colbert, or if Trump just temporarily broke his brain, but Colbert laid the fuck into Trump last night. Not, "oh, look at the latest wackiness, isn't it funny?", but flat out "Fuck you for exploiting this racist Birther shit for years, and now trying to unload it on Hilary during a media-supported hotel commercial". It was kinda amazing.

Him, Samantha Bee, and Seth Meyers all did really angry pieces about the Birther thing last night. Not that surprising from Bee or Meyers, but it was the angriest I've seen Colbert for awhile.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is a sign of a end of congenial, "trying to be a network late show host who treats both sides sort of the same" Colbert, or if Trump just temporarily broke his brain, but Colbert laid the fuck into Trump last night. Not, "oh, look at the latest wackiness, isn't it funny?", but flat out "Fuck you for exploiting this racist Birther shit for years, and now trying to unload it on Hilary during a media-supported hotel commercial". It was kinda amazing.

Him, Samantha Bee, and Seth Meyers all did really angry pieces about the Birther thing last night. Not that surprising from Bee or even Meyers to an extent, but it was the angriest I've seen Colbert for awhile.

Don't just talk about it, show it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byP7XvzFqRc

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I wonder how Bakula feels being upstaged by a horse.