Options

[Virtual Reality] StepN2theGAME

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The Oculus runtime needs some serious work.

For one thing, my computer won't go to sleep anymore, because it requires drive writing to stop at some point to go to sleep, and the runtime Oculus released is acting like a debug build and is writing to my SSD at all times. So I gave killing the process(es) a try, and it was able to sleep again. But the runtime couldn't start itself back up when I tried to launch Oculus. It also couldn't start itself back up after a reset. Only after finding the runtime launcher exe and running that was it able to work again, but then the audio was gone, and wouldn't come back. And again, resetting did nothing (even though it seemed to be able to launch on startup again for no reason). So I ran the installer and chose "repair", which downloads the entire installer from their slow CDN all over again. No caching.

So I can either just live with the runtime preventing my computer from going into sleep mode and shortening the life of my SSD, or I can sit through the full download of the installer every time I want to use my Rift.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    I've just given Quake VR a try, and after a bit of fiddling with the setup it's pretty cool. By default, it locks your view to the gun, which I'm not too keen on - while it doesn't make me feel queasy, it does feel uncomfortable. Once I decoupled the view direction from aim/movement, I was fine. (There's also a hybrid mode, but I haven't played around with this one much.) I love the sense of scale you get, which is obviously not comparable when you play on a normal screen. Also, performance isn't an issue, which is always nice. :)

I could imagine this won't work for those prone to VR nausea, and I don't know what it'd be like if I played this for more than 15-20 minutes, but it suggests that there are ways to make FPSes work, at least for some players. I realise that as soon as I've got *anything* in my field of vision that's linked to my character but doesn't move with my view, I'm pretty much fine, whether that's a whole cockpit or a 1990s, low-resolution, low-poly gun.

Check out some single player map packs. The old single player campaign is pretty boring these days even in VR, but modders have made some pretty cool stuff over the years.
    I think it's mainly the recent RPS writeup of Arcane Dimensions that reminded me of the Quake VR article they did, so I'll be checking out that one... constantly reminding myself that this was made before games would auto-save. In fact, I'm now off for 1 1/2 hours of VR: some Quake followed by some Elite: Dangerous. Followed by an hour of my wife laughing at me for looking like a weirdo raccoon thanks to Riftface.

I've given up on not getting Riftface.

My head is just too big. :( The straps just do not extend far enough to not have the Rift pressing just slightly uncomfortably against my face.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    While trawling for any news on a release for the Oculus Touch:

- Maybe December! 'Cause one of the Touch release games has a launch date in the Oculus Store of Dec 2016 -- but maybe the release games are in a "release window"
    - Maybe September! 'Cause some guy saw a mockup display at Best Buy with a picture of the Touch controllers indicating a release "around September"

...September seems preeetty unlikely.

At Oculus Connect 3:

Palmer Luckey: Release it? Members of the tech and gaming press, we released the Oculus Touch two weeks ago.
    Press: (shock)

===

Those VR Cover dealies take way longer than I thought they would. A friend bought one for me, and I think it took 2 weeks to process the order, and then they ship from Thailand -- after processing, 6 days in on their way to San Diego, they've made it as far as Germany. For some reason I thought this was some Etsy sort of thing that someone was running out of their garage, rather than manufactured out of a military junta-ruled country on the other side of the planet.

===

I made myself sit through The Visitor and some horror videos on VRideo. Holy crap but this stuff is a lot creepier in VR than on a computer monitor.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I feel like my years of wearing firefighting gear adequately prepared me for donning/doffing the rift :P

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    e: wrong thread

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I really want to set up some categories for the stuff I bought from the Oculus Store, something like 1) Games, 2) VR Movies, 3) Media, 4) Social VR, 5) Other. Do the Oculus Store titles have executables that can be set up as non-Steam games in Steam?

• Options
      GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
      Orogogus wrote: »
      While trawling for any news on a release for the Oculus Touch:

- Maybe December! 'Cause one of the Touch release games has a launch date in the Oculus Store of Dec 2016 -- but maybe the release games are in a "release window"
      - Maybe September! 'Cause some guy saw a mockup display at Best Buy with a picture of the Touch controllers indicating a release "around September"

...September seems preeetty unlikely.

At Oculus Connect 3:

Palmer Luckey: Release it? Members of the tech and gaming press, we released the Oculus Touch two weeks ago.
      Press: (shock)

It is a little bit weird that we haven't really heard anything about timing on the Touch considering it's supposed to be this year. Thank god my spot in the preorder line is reserved though.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    • Options
      CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
      I am wondering what the holdup is on the Touch because it seems like when people get the dev version they really like them.

• Options
      Since they're still making physical changes I'm guessing they're still in their optimization stage and haven't committed to design freeze prior to manufacturing scale-up. But if that's the case it's hard not to see it as a severe misstep.

• Options
      Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
      I have to say, Rec Room is amazing. And it's free! So much fun too, Paintball, tiltbrush charades, great times.

FTC: honk.
      FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
      PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    • Options
      I really want to set up some categories for the stuff I bought from the Oculus Store, something like 1) Games, 2) VR Movies, 3) Media, 4) Social VR, 5) Other. Do the Oculus Store titles have executables that can be set up as non-Steam games in Steam?

I added my Oculus titles as non-Steam games last night, and all the ones I tested worked fine, plus I was able to put them in the categories I wanted. I'd prefer to keep this all in Oculus Home, and I've complained often about Steam's UI, but Oculus Home's total lack of customization makes it a non-starter. Most of the games I imported didn't have the right names, which I was able to fix, and a bunch of them have the default Unreal icon (Pinball FX2 VR has the generic Windows application icon).

Is Windows supposed to switch the default sound device from the Rift to your second choice when you take the headset off? I thought it used to do that when I first set it up, but now I have to go into my sound settings if I want to play a game on the screen instead of the Rift.

Also, is there any way to turn off the blue circle in SteamVR games? Is that part of Chaperone?

• Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      Yeah it's part of your seated bounds. You should be able to turn it off.

• Options
      ThirithThirith Registered User regular
      Last weekend I tried out the Dota VR mode... only to realise that it requires VR-specific controllers. I felt a bit silly being stuck in place, seeing the menu behind me (why behind me?!), but not being able to do anything else. Ah well, I'm not into Dota anyway, so I can well wait to check this out in practice when the Touch controllers arrive in a few months.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    • Options
      StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
      I saw a hack that was using the PS Move controllers with Oculus. If you're impatient and have $20 to waste it might be an nice interim option.

26904.png
    • Options
      edited August 2016
      Edit: What does a sheep look like in VR? Pretty much like me, right now. Or is that an emu? (In other words, please disregard this post.)

Thirith on
      webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    • Options
      NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
      Can anyone recommend any Google Cardboard apps?

• Options
      GSMGSM Registered User regular
      Week before last I was playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in VR, and I got to the point with the mysterious glowing blue doorways, and I figured out what I needed to do to solve the puzzle, but didn't solve it and quit.

I haven't loaded it up since. If you had told me in 1996 that someday I'd have my very own Virtual Reality System that I could use any time I wanted, but would only end up using once every other week, I would have looked at you very strangely.

Though really, the problem is still movement controls. Literally none of the solutions right now are good enough. Not comfort turning, not blinking, not roomscale, etc. Either we need vestibular stimulation through magnets or someone very clever needs to make a much more subtle workaround than any of the current options.

We'll get back there someday.
    • Options
      It's very individual, though - which doesn't help the overall problem, mind you, but if some things work for some people, then those might be starting points. Take the Quake VR mod, for example: I didn't like it at all in the default setup, but the moment I activated the function that *mostly* decouples the direction you look in from the direction you move in and point your gun, it worked well. Not *reasonably* well, but as well as playing the game in regular KB+M mode.

There are things that can mitigate people getting queasy or dizzy: adaptive FOV, decoupling movement from view, the latter especially in combination with elements that aren't stuck to your view (take Quake again: it may not work as well as a cockpit, but seeing a gun that moves independently from where you're looking provides a sort of visual anchor).

I'd really suggest to anyone who's got Quake to try out Quake VR and see whether/how the different view options work for them - if only to see how relatively small changes can make a significant difference.

... or perhaps I'm one of the lucky few who doesn't have problems with VR sickness, and everyone else will throw up violently after five minutes of Quake VR...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
      edited August 2016
      I'm actually in the opposite camp - I am surprised at how often I'm using VR. I expected it to be once a week or so, but it's more like every other night.

I recently watched Stranger Things in the Big Screen Void mode, and wow. Not only was the blocking out of external stimuli cool, or being able to lean back in my recliner and watch it almost but not quite on the "ceiling", or watching it on a way bigger screen than I actually own, but the way the borders of the screen fell away... the "dark place" become this void that myself as a viewer was also in. It was really cool! And the best part was that I didn't have to watch it alone, I was watching it with other people who were sitting in the same virtual void as me!

The night before last, I spent like an hour painting an awesome dragon thing in Tiltbrush. I also had some friends over to play with the thing at one point and we played Keep Talking.

Last night I discovered Minecraft (well, Vivecraft) is a really cool experience. I could see myself dumping plenty of time into that if I'm not careful...

If it wasn't for the blurriness of reading text, I'm not actually sure I'd ever bother taking the thing off while I'm at the computer, simply because having as many monitors as I'd like at whatever size and distance as I need them is great. And that's a problem that will hopefully be largely fixed in the next gen.

Also Rec Room is still the best game on the Vive, and it's free, so if you haven't played it yet, grab it!

GlyphGryph on
    • Options
      wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
      GSM wrote: »
      Though really, the problem is still movement controls. Literally none of the solutions right now are good enough. Not comfort turning, not blinking, not roomscale, etc. Either we need vestibular stimulation through magnets or someone very clever needs to make a much more subtle workaround than any of the current options.

The issues with movement are the biggest surprise for me regarding VR, or I guess motion sickness issues in general. Before owning a VR headset, I thought a game like No Man's Sky would be perfect for VR, but now I just think of how awful the on-foot movement would translate.

Like you, I haven't been using my Rift nearly as often as I expected I would. For me at least, my VR time is pretty much on hold until the Touch controllers come out.

• Options
      TubeTube Registered User admin
      The movement thing is locking up a ton of potential games. Like, no Skyrim until it's fixed. That's a big deal!

• Options
      GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
      The new DO4M movement for VR seems like it's working pretty well, and that's a fast paced game where you cover a lot of ground.

But then, I don't really mind just moving around with a D-pad or whatever, hell I enjoyed Windlands after a minute or two of acclimation, so I spend most of my time grumpy that other people's shortcomings are holding me back!

(A friend of mine with an Omni said if you want the easy but expensive solution, that thing works basically flawlessly)

• Options
      Is there a reason Oculus hasn't found some way to make Gear VR apps run on the Rift? Is it a contract issue with Samsung, or is Android stuff too demanding for PCs? Does all the software take advantage of the untetheredness, so it just won't work on Rift? I feel like the Rift is lagging badly in content. New VR games and applications are coming out on Steam every day, but most of them require motion controllers, while something new pops up on the Rift store maybe once or twice a week. But then the Gear VR store is getting content like Olympics coverage, and, what, are Rift owners not interested in that?

Something new did just pop up on the Rift store, though, Steel Combat. Fighting game, made in Japan, and the natural comparison seems to be One Must Fall 2097:

www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1060223174095785/
      Take control of giant robots and engage in steel-to-steel combat! Steel Combat is a robot fighting game built from the ground up for VR. Choose from a roster of metallic warriors each with unique abilities and go on heated battles with rival ‘bots!

Features:
      • 360° Arena: Matches take place in a circular 360° battlefield. Keep alert on all directions to survive!
      • Dual-mode Combat System: Switch between combat modes and execute short- and long-range moves on the fly.
      • Online Multiplayer: Connect to the internet and fight against players from around the world. Or if watching is more to your taste, spectator mode allows you to view matches between other players in real time.
      • Feature-Rich Training Mode: The training mode lets players tweak and adjust every aspect of the battle to practice moves and combos. Hone your skills to take on unseen adversaries!

Zen Studios also announced a 5-table pack for Pinball FX2 VR, will cost $25.

I've seen a bunch of press about new VR-oriented laptops based on Nvidia's Pascal GPUs. Was the whole Optimus GPU switching issue completely and quietly solved and it's no longer an issue in new laptops?

• Options
      TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
      Is there a reason Oculus hasn't found some way to make Gear VR apps run on the Rift? Is it a contract issue with Samsung, or is Android stuff too demanding for PCs? Does all the software take advantage of the untetheredness, so it just won't work on Rift? I feel like the Rift is lagging badly in content. New VR games and applications are coming out on Steam every day, but most of them require motion controllers, while something new pops up on the Rift store maybe once or twice a week. But then the Gear VR store is getting content like Olympics coverage, and, what, are Rift owners not interested in that?

Something new did just pop up on the Rift store, though, Steel Combat. Fighting game, made in Japan, and the natural comparison seems to be One Must Fall 2097:

www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1060223174095785/
      Take control of giant robots and engage in steel-to-steel combat! Steel Combat is a robot fighting game built from the ground up for VR. Choose from a roster of metallic warriors each with unique abilities and go on heated battles with rival ‘bots!

Features:
      • 360° Arena: Matches take place in a circular 360° battlefield. Keep alert on all directions to survive!
      • Dual-mode Combat System: Switch between combat modes and execute short- and long-range moves on the fly.
      • Online Multiplayer: Connect to the internet and fight against players from around the world. Or if watching is more to your taste, spectator mode allows you to view matches between other players in real time.
      • Feature-Rich Training Mode: The training mode lets players tweak and adjust every aspect of the battle to practice moves and combos. Hone your skills to take on unseen adversaries!

Zen Studios also announced a 5-table pack for Pinball FX2 VR, will cost $25.

I've seen a bunch of press about new VR-oriented laptops based on Nvidia's Pascal GPUs. Was the whole Optimus GPU switching issue completely and quietly solved and it's no longer an issue in new laptops?

I believe it's full on desktop gpus.

• Options
      Still no news on Touch:

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/08/oculus-vrs-jason-rubin-at-gamescom-2016-we-will-announce-a-lot-around-touch/
      Oculus VR seems to be just warming up, and with the Oculus Touch having no release date but so much potential and build up there is a lot of excitement and plenty of great implication when a hint is dropped. During this year’s Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, Oculus VR has teased more information on Oculus Touch.

Jason Rubin, Head of Content at Oculus VR, dropped a few more hints as to when we can hear more about Oculus Touch – although whether it would be about content or Oculus Touch itself is unclear. “You can probably imagine that at a trade show we will be hosting we will announce a lot around Touch.”

Rubin then also confirmed what had already been announced in Oculus VR’s blog: “We will be announcing 30 more titles for Touch before the end of the year.”

Great. More teasing about the trade show where they'll announce sure-to-be-exciting news about the product that will have been 6 months behind the competition by that point. 30 more titles is great and all, but there's plenty of stuff that we can't play right now. Although I guess it will be nice if they can get some of the Playstation exclusives on PC. For Oculus' sake I hope their exciting news isn't a $300 price tag.

• Options
      DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Huh?
      what a weird post. Well to answer your question: Oculus doesn't own the apps... so it's really up to the developer to publish it on PC. If they do decide it literally requires no extra work as any PC with the minimum requirements of the Rift can run any Gear VR game in it's sleep and in addition the SDK to build to the Gear VR is identical to the one you'd use for the Rift.

there may be a few bits of mobile specific code but other than that there's nothing stopping them.

• Options
      Well, I mean, this stuff is all on Oculus' store, and it seems like the Rift's marketing at this point is basically, "Touch is going to be really cool, it's going to have a bunch of games and just wait until we talk about it in October." It's kind of lacking in content at the same time that their store has a bunch of Gear VR-only apps, and it just seems weird that at the same time they're locking up exclusives from the Vive, they can't incentivize content providers to port stuff to the Rift. The Rift got a robot fighting game today and that free goat thing last week, while the Gear VR store features VR Olympics coverage and a Suicide Squad tie-in, which seem a lot more relevant and exciting. Is it a different demographic, are the graphics just too bad, or what? Or is the same Olympics coverage already available in one of those video players?

• Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
      wonderpug wrote: »
      GSM wrote: »

The issues with movement are the biggest surprise for me regarding VR, or I guess motion sickness issues in general. Before owning a VR headset, I thought a game like No Man's Sky would be perfect for VR, but now I just think of how awful the on-foot movement would translate.

Like you, I haven't been using my Rift nearly as often as I expected I would. For me at least, my VR time is pretty much on hold until the Touch controllers come out.

Yeah, and I'll say as owning a Vive I'm surprised how much I prefer games that use the touch controls. It's just so much more intuitive, and the UIs are so much better, than trying to play a game with hacked-in VR. I've messed around with VorpX and all of that, but I don't have the motivation to try to tweak it and figure out all of the wacky controls when I could just pop the headset on and do touch-based roomscale stuff, with absolutely no fear of motion sickness. As as been mentioned lots, just getting a twinge of motion sickness is going to make you feel pretty blah for awhile.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      Minecraft now has official Rift support, you can find it in Oculus Home. Requires the W10 edition.

• Options
      Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
      Who here wants to join a team for the Rec Room world champs? I'm lovin Rec Room, and the chance to paintball it up would be a lot of fun.

FTC: honk.
      FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
      PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    • Options
      Have any of the OR users already tried out Minecraft with official support? I was about to check out the Minecrift mod, but now I think I'll try this one instead.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      Have any of the OR users already tried out Minecraft with official support? I was about to check out the Minecrift mod, but now I think I'll try this one instead.

Be warned that it's the Win10 version of the game, which is just a ported over version of the mobile/tablet version of the game.

JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      Darmak wrote: »

Be warned that it's the Win10 version of the game, which is just a ported over version of the mobile/tablet version of the game.

Fuck really? That's terrible. Why would they make the win 10 version stripped down?

• Options
      edited August 2016
      Tube wrote: »

Fuck really? That's terrible. Why would they make the win 10 version stripped down?

It's not stripped down at all, except in the sense that it doesn't have mod support yet. In all respects it's fully featured Minecraft, otherwise.

And as for why they use the W10 edition rather than Java Minecraft, it's for super obvious reasons - Java is a garbage language for gaming and most people would struggle to get 90 FPS on a monitor, let alone with VR enabled. That's why so many people got sick from Minecrift.

The performance of the Windows 10 edition is wonderful. Silky smooth at all times.

Once they add mod support to W10 Minecraft I guarantee they will drop Java Minecraft for good and good riddance to it, piece of garbage.

Dhalphir on
    • Options
      What are the main differences?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      edited August 2016
      What are the main differences?

Java Minecraft has mod support.

Windows 10 Minecraft does not, but has massively improved performance while offering much greater draw distances and shorter load times.

That's it.

Dhalphir on
    • Options
      That sounds like an okay tradeoff to me - but then I'm new to Minecraft, so I don't really care much about mods (yet).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      Also good to note that Windows 10 edition will eventually have mod support, it just doesn't right now.

• Options
      Dhalphir wrote: »
      Tube wrote: »

It's not stripped down at all, except in the sense that it doesn't have mod support yet. In all respects it's fully featured Minecraft, otherwise.

And as for why they use the W10 edition rather than Java Minecraft, it's for super obvious reasons - Java is a garbage language for gaming and most people would struggle to get 90 FPS on a monitor, let alone with VR enabled. That's why so many people got sick from Minecrift.

The performance of the Windows 10 edition is wonderful. Silky smooth at all times.

Once they add mod support to W10 Minecraft I guarantee they will drop Java Minecraft for good and good riddance to it, piece of garbage.

Aah, ok. Last time I played the tablet version it was super stripped down. I guess they caught it up.

• Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      I didn't have a single problem with Vivecraft.

From reading some impressions it sounds like it's still superior to this Win 10 version.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky