Options

[Virtual Reality] StepN2theGAME

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Rec Room is the same.

They really need to make the anti-harassment options the default rather than just putting them in a menu. Put the onus on people who want to be juvenile to each other to seek out ways to enable it, rather than requiring the happy majority to seek out ways to block it.

No, that just creates a ghost town of no interactions and that's the fastest way to kill a social experience.

Opt-in and opt-out are *both* the wrong solutions.

The proper way to do it is have no default. Just have two doors out of the dorm room for the two options, explaining what they each entail, and force the user to choose the experience they want.

That...is pretty much choosing opting in or opting out?

And leads to as much of a ghost town. Either the userbase is split in half and feels small on either side, or one side has almost nobody on it and the people who want to play that way get demoralized and give up.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Rec Room is the same.

They really need to make the anti-harassment options the default rather than just putting them in a menu. Put the onus on people who want to be juvenile to each other to seek out ways to enable it, rather than requiring the happy majority to seek out ways to block it.

No, that just creates a ghost town of no interactions and that's the fastest way to kill a social experience.

The proper way to do it is have no default. Just have two doors out of the dorm room for the two options, explaining what they each entail, and force the user to choose the experience they want.

Fragmenting the community is the fastest way to kill social experiences.

It comes down to this - do you want make life easiest for harassers who want to make life unpleasant for as many people as possible, or for normal people? The answer should be obvious.

The unfortunate fact is that there is a lot of crossover between harassers and those who are most active and loud in gaming communities, so developers hear the wrong messages. The silent majority just wants to play the games in peace, the vocal minority sobs and wrings their hands about censorship.

VR cannot afford to have the rules that other online games do. It's too immersive. The rules need to be closer to that of real life, except even stricter, because in real life the option of getting punched in the face for being a dickhead means people don't go up to random strangers and fondle them.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Rec Room is the same.

That...is pretty much choosing opting in or opting out?

And leads to as much of a ghost town. Either the userbase is split in half and feels small on either side, or one side has almost nobody on it and the people who want to play that way get demoralized and give up.

Um, no? Here's a common analogy in software/websites. You're clicking through the install/signup screen and you come to a page with with a checkbox asking you to allow them to sell your email address for massive SPAM. Opt-in would be a checkbox that is default to unchecked. Opt-out would be the checkbox that is checked by default. The 3rd alternative, i.e. what I'm proposing, is two radio buttons agreeing or declining the spam that the user must choose one of before they can continue. In other words, don't force *any* option by default on the user. Make them consciously choose one.

Also you and @Dhalphir both seem to misunderstand what I'm proposing. I'm not saying have two different instances. It's still the same thing as we have now, a single instance. All it does is every single time you exit through your dorm room you effectively set yourself to exit under human or ghost mode. And just as it is now, you can also switch on the fly. No default opt-in (what @Dhalphir's proposing) or opt-out (what it is right now). Make the user choose how they join the locker room.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    It comes down to this - do you want make life easiest for harassers who want to make life unpleasant for as many people as possible, or for normal people? The answer should be obvious.

They should probably cater to whatever people expect to get out of the game, and whichever thing seems to earn them more goodwill with their primary market and thus more sales (which isn't as much a concern in the case of Rec Room, which is free). It's likely that this will coincide with anti-harassment options, but it's just as viable to make an experience intended to be no-holds-barred, and making sure to advertise it as such on the store page. After all, many people already buy into experiences designed to make them frightened or uncomfortable in various ways. There's got to be a market for people who simply don't care about their personal space in VR, or relish the opportunity to take part in weird shenanigans.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dracil wrote:
    Also you and @Dhalphir both seem to misunderstand what I'm proposing. I'm not saying have two different instances. It's still the same thing as we have now, a single instance. All it does is every single time you exit through your dorm room you effectively set yourself to exit under human or ghost mode. And just as it is now, you can also switch on the fly. No default opt-in (what @Dhalphir's proposing) or opt-out (what it is right now). Make the user choose how they join the locker room.

I'm not saying people should default to ghost mode. I'm saying it should default to having an exclusion zone around everybody. If people want to turn that exclusion zone off so they can fondle each other, more power to them, but expecting people to wait until after it's happened to them and then saying "oh you should have just dug through the menu looking for options first" is absurd.

There is absolutely no way that more than half of all players want to be able to harass each other and get into people's personal space in uncomfortable ways. No fucking way. You cannot sit there and tell me with a straight face that you get a greater population of users by catering to geese than catering to normal people who just want to hang out and play ping pong and paintball.

A "half metre" (I put that in quotes because I'm not sure how VR games measure distance) exclusion zone around everybody's torso would rule out most methods of uncomfortable harassment without interfering with normal socializing. People don't stand that close to each other in real life anyway.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    However if that were the default then I wouldn't have been able to experience the wonder of jumping in for the first time, putting a bucket over a guy's head and hearing him voice his confusion.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    However if that were the default then I wouldn't have been able to experience the wonder of jumping in for the first time, putting a bucket over a guy's head and hearing him voice his confusion.

You know what, you're right, that's definitely a valuable enough interaction to make sure the default options allow any harassment. I retract all my points and will cease arguing that we should be making a more pleasant gaming space for VR.

Don't be ridiculous. Trading off a few interactions in exchange for keeping people comfortable is a tiny price to pay.

The harassment protections should be proactive in preventing it, not reactive in having to enable options.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Nobody is going to join a game like Rec Room and immediately start searching for anti-harassment options. Instead, they'll only start looking for those options after it's happened to them, by which point it's too late, the devs already fucked up. That person may not even bother looking for options, they'll just conclude that the game is hostile and leave immediately.

The goal for the devs should be for it to not happen at all. If it happens even once, their design has failed. VR is too immersive to accept regular online gaming protections like muting, blocking, and kicking.

• Options
    edited January 2017

You know what, you're right, that's definitely a valuable enough interaction to make sure the default options allow any harassment. I retract all my points and will cease arguing that we should be making a more pleasant gaming space for VR.

You can retract your points, just understand that taking a lot of personal interaction out of game whose primary attraction involves personal interaction doesn't necessarily make it more pleasant. It may in this case, but it's not a given. Don't conflate specific features that reduce the amount of interactivity with a more pleasant experience for everyone. They are neither mutually exclusive nor necessarily in service to the same goal.

Nobody is going to join a game like Rec Room and immediately start searching for anti-harassment options. Instead, they'll only start looking for those options after it's happened to them, by which point it's too late, the devs already fucked up. That person may not even bother looking for options, they'll just conclude that the game is hostile and leave immediately.

The goal for the devs should be for it to not happen at all. If it happens even once, their design has failed. VR is too immersive to accept regular online gaming protections like muting, blocking, and kicking.

It is important to specify "a game like Rec Room," which is a free, impromptu, light-hearted sort of thing.

The goal for the devs of Rec Room might be for everyone to always feel comfortable. For others, as long as they make it clear up front their experience offers no such consideration, I don't see a problem with leaving out those options. There's no need for a one-size-fits-all solution.

Think of it like choosing to ride the teacups vs. the Intimidator roller coaster, or choosing a regular haunted house vs. one of those full contact insane ones. If the problem is that people think Rec Room is teacups and find out it's a roller coaster, then you've got a disconnect that can be solved. Otherwise, people can make their own decisions - especially when they're paying for the experience and can be expected to read the store page ahead of time, check out previews etc.

People are already voluntarily opting out of VR experiences they feel might be too intense for whatever reason. I haven't bought any real horror games.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dracil wrote:

I'm not saying people should default to ghost mode. I'm saying it should default to having an exclusion zone around everybody. If people want to turn that exclusion zone off so they can fondle each other, more power to them, but expecting people to wait until after it's happened to them and then saying "oh you should have just dug through the menu looking for options first" is absurd.

There is absolutely no way that more than half of all players want to be able to harass each other and get into people's personal space in uncomfortable ways. No fucking way. You cannot sit there and tell me with a straight face that you get a greater population of users by catering to geese than catering to normal people who just want to hang out and play ping pong and paintball.

A "half metre" (I put that in quotes because I'm not sure how VR games measure distance) exclusion zone around everybody's torso would rule out most methods of uncomfortable harassment without interfering with normal socializing. People don't stand that close to each other in real life anyway.

Even if we go with exclusion zones instead of ghost mode, that still doesn't really change what I'm proposing. Make it a damn option people must choose when they exit the room (do you want an exclusion zone around you or not?) every time, via two doors.

Fundamentally, my problem with your arguments is that at its core, it seems rather patronizing. So instead of assuming you know better than other people what they want, assume they know better than you what they want. So give them the option and let them choose.

In less contentious postings, Sword Master VR is a serious workout. Way better than Holopoint now I think. Because there's a lot more lunging and stepping around and arm flailing, whereas Holopoint was more about spinning around rapidly and dodging shots with your head.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Not to detract from all the social dos and don'ts of VR but are there any decent wave shooters for PSVR?

I know they're ten a penny on PC, and everyone is sick of them but I can't see as many on PSR and I feel I need at least one. Was thinking Brookhaven Experiment, are there any others?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Space Pirate Trainer

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Space Pirate Trainer

No PSVR version yet sadly.

• Options
      Mr_Grinch wrote: »
      Space Pirate Trainer

Sorry, I need to learn how to read apparently.

• Options
        Space Pirate Trainer

Sorry, I need to learn how to read apparently.

To be fair I stealth edited it to make it clearer :smile:

• Options
        Tube wrote: »

I use one just like it and reading the description says it mounts a standard camera (1/4" I believe) so should be perfect for the sensor

• Options
          warder808warder808 Registered User regular
          Had a friend over to check the Oculus out.

We played:
          Keep Talking. ..
          The Lab
          Space Pirate Trainer
          Dead and Buried

We had a great time.

Battle Dome; is it good?

steam_sig.png
        • Options
          Played like a solid hour of Arizona Sunshine. Pretty damn awesome!

steam_sig.png
        • Options
          LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
          Not to detract from all the social dos and don'ts of VR but are there any decent wave shooters for PSVR?

I know they're ten a penny on PC, and everyone is sick of them but I can't see as many on PSR and I feel I need at least one. Was thinking Brookhaven Experiment, are there any others?

Lethal VR might fit the bill? I haven't played it personally however.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
          Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
        • Options
          Yeah I was looking at that, I loved Dangerous Golf too by the same devs. Just the bland environment that doesn't do much for me.

• Options
          warder808 wrote: »
          Played like a solid hour of Arizona Sunshine. Pretty damn awesome!

Played for first time yesterday (coop at that!) and it was really awesome to play!

• Options
            Last night played 2 matches of CoOp Dead & Buried. This was a lot of fun too. I need to get a bigger apartment so I can duck and dodge for cover!

steam_sig.png
          • Options
            UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
            I finally posted that VR drinking games video I put together with a buddy of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZBk1PgP58

I get... sloppy.

• Options
            PrAyTeLLaPrAyTeLLa Registered User regular
            edited January 2017
            My dreams have come true and soon my Vive will be complete.

https://youtu.be/BS2S2SFP1r0

Releasing Q2 and no price announced yet.

Also the wireless kit will be out around same time, price is $250.

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14172296/htc-vive-wireless-adapter-tpcast-ces-2017

PrAyTeLLa on
          • Options
            FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
            I finally went full VR nerd and bought the replacement, slightly lighter and smaller Vive 3-in-1 cable.

It's pretty cool! It doesn't really reduce the weight of the headset much if you had it fitted properly before, but it's definitely less obtrusive and easier to avoid.

steam_sig.png
          • Options
            crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
            people are going to smash so many TVs with golf clubs

I can't wait

(seriously though, that's awesome stuff!)

• Options
            OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
            Argh. It's kind of baffling that Google Daydream has a Lego game but there's nothing on SteamVR or Oculus. Why?

• Options
            darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
            The Vive tracker has me very interested, a solution to issues with melee weapons that have no weight (of course smashing ceilings and walls will happen... doooh ) Tracked feet so you can kick things in game?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
          • Options
            FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
            darkmayo wrote: »
            The Vive tracker has me very interested, a solution to issues with melee weapons that have no weight (of course smashing ceilings and walls will happen... doooh ) Tracked feet so you can kick things in game?

I honestly have no idea how a VR tennis racquet or baseball bat will ever be practical. You need high ceilings and a lot of space when you start using full size stuff like that, and it would be a total mess in my house. It's neat that the option exists though.

steam_sig.png
          • Options
            darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
            Fiatil wrote: »
            darkmayo wrote: »

I honestly have no idea how a VR tennis racquet or baseball bat will ever be practical. You need high ceilings and a lot of space when you start using full size stuff like that, and it would be a total mess in my house. It's neat that the option exists though.

yea my VR space has room in width and length but my ceiling is lower... I could see this be good to attach to a 360 controller so you can find it when you need it in game (in my case for New Retro Arcade Neon)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
          • Options
            crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
            I'm guessing a lot of it is going to be focused toward the commercial space. Golf clinics maybe? Batting "cages"? More gun-like peripherals, etc.

• Options
            I was daydreaming earlier about an actual mall outfitted as a VR arena. Ideally it could be used for a variety of things, like each store space a different virtual experience, but even just turning it into high tech sci-fi lasertag/paintball FPS would be great.

Imagine tossing stuff like grenades or deployable cover/shields, that other people could pick up and throw. That's what something like this could be great for.

There could even be secret passages inside...VR shows a solid wall but if you feel for it you discover that it's illusory in real life and can hide there! And I guess you trust people not to lift their goggles.

• Options
            Does anyone know what the range is on the TPCast wireless attachment? It seems like the Vive's in a pretty good place with a wireless headset and not needing to plug the Lighthouses into the computer. If it's powerful enough to go through walls and floors it seems like there would be enormous flexibility to set up the sensors in whatever room you want and go to town.

Incidentally, I brought my Rift over to a friend's house, and was struck again by how unfriendly the sensor repositioning scheme is with Touch + a third sensor. Your sensor configuration isn't in a working arrangement and it doesn't tell you why or which sensors need to be repositioned -- you just move them closer and closer, making your play area smaller, until it starts working. It's also kind of weird that you can use the Touch controllers to get through the onscreen prompts in the SteamVR setup but not in the Oculus setup. I'm sure they're just mapping over the Vive controls, but still.

We played some of that fishing game that's either free or a Touch pre-order bonus. Really wanted to like it, but it's enormously janky. It would benefit a lot from letting you turn with a stick, instead of teleport only. Immediately after the tutorial the fishing rod glitched out and didn't appear on the boat -- it wasn't really clear that it was going wrong, and we spent a long time trying to figure out just how you were supposed to get the rod out to the lake. We figured out this was a bug when restarting the tutorial didn't spawn the rod, and then this got the game into a stuck state even through reboots until we quit and deleted the save. Like I said, janky.

I'm really kind of sad that Dead & Buried, The Unspoken and Eve Valkyrie are all multiplayer games, they all seem like they'd be really fun single player. Had a lot of fun with Space Pirate Trainer. I don't know how people are doing so well with the Quarkcannon or whatever that charging gun is. Without tracing fire or a target laser all I do is miss unless the target is right in front of me or there are six bots clustered all together.

• Options
            RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
            The TPCast wireless thing needs to communicate via line of sight to a module you put on your ceiling.

• Options
            Rius wrote: »
            The TPCast wireless thing needs to communicate via line of sight to a module you put on your ceiling.

Ah, that's too bad. What kind of cabling does that module use to connect to the computer? I'm having a hard time finding these details online.

• Options
            BremenBremen Registered User regular
            Orogogus wrote: »

Ah, that's too bad. What kind of cabling does that module use to connect to the computer? I'm having a hard time finding these details online.

I imagine it will probably use an HDMI cable, and possibly a power connection as well.

As far as range, like Rius mentioned it's reliant on LoS; unlike a normal wireless signal the TPCast setup uses an extremely high frequency to reduce latency, which means it can't penetrate most solid objects. According to one of the reviews it's supposed to cover a 5 meter by 5 meter area in ideal conditions.

• Options
            GSMGSM Registered User regular
            edited January 2017
            Repurposing dead malls as communal digital hallucination plazas sounds pretty great. Somewhere between cyberpunk and vaporwave. Walk around buying incredible imaginary products from imaginary shelves, but the actual physical location is run-down and dingy, full of empty storefronts and flickering fluorescent lighting.

GSM on
            We'll get back there someday.
          • Options
            RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
            Orogogus wrote: »

http://uploadvr.com/tpcast-wireless-vive-kit-works/
            Along with the usual two lighthouse stations, there was a TPCAST video transmitter which was said to have a 160 degree field of view mounted high in the room facing the play area. The company said the transmitter is best set above the play space in the middle pointed downward. For our testing, the play space was 4 meters by 2.6 meters. TPCAST claims it can cover a 5 meter by 5 meter area with ideal conditions.

There was also a router connected to the PC which we were told was for the transmission of movement data. TPCAST says for the consumer version that unit will be reduced down to a dongle attached to the PC.

There's a video which shows the transmitter, looks like it has power and (presumably) an HDMI cable. Gonna be some cords running up to and across ceilings.