As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have dice, will [game design].

1121314151618»

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    1) I think you might be right on cleaning up some language. In my prior post ingredients are cards, yes.
    2) Some of the stuff I have right now is things like "target witch discards a card" as a power. Nothing game breaking, but I wanted to have something written in case people do the people thing and dogpile someone.
    3) You pick any card from the trick taken, not just what you played. The idea is to keep an eye out for hands you want to win.
    4) You are trying to finish the one potion over the course of a couple hands.

I am expecting some level of sabotage from discards, throwing stuff into an enemy's pot/cauldron (I probably need to define this) and things like that. I have a big list of powers to try out, and I think seeing if people like the idea in play is the big test this weekend. From there I will have to do some kind of math to figure out how frequently to give "fixer" options. Currently the 1 of every suit lets you remove an ingredient from your potion since you're not going to win the trick.

As far as recipes everyone can complete, it might be worth considering having some kind of mulligan or choices for everyone to pick from instead of pure random. I get what you mean by having too much luck involved. I want roughly as many fixer as sabotage options in my initial draft, just to see how things play out. The powers are only on odd cards currently, which is something a couple other games have done like Fox in the Forest. Since some get removed from the pool when they're put into a pot, I'm not using as wide of a number range and there's more copies. My test deck has 1-7, two face cards x 2 per suit plus 4 jokers.

I am toying around with Jokers being wild but are removed from your cauldron when you have a chemical reaction.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    One big concern: what happens if everyone targets the same player? In a lot of games where you can mess with the other player's resources, its usual that whoever comes out in the lead early gets dogpiled. A certain amount of resistance is good for balance, but the far extreme ends up like Munchkin where "first to 9 never wins".

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora