As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Professional Courtesy

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Professional Courtesy

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I always thought that it was like the Sailor Moon Transformations. Techinically, according to their rpg book, the transformations are alot faster. Just drawn out slower for the audience. I figure The voltron transformation must be lil quicker, too.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Gabe missed the chance to say he'd be lyin' if he had a good answer.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    chuchundrachuchundra Registered User new member
    My daughter is seven and had never seen any Voltron before we watched the Netflix series. This was literally the first thing she said to me the first time they formed Voltron.

She sill loved it though.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Coincidentally, it's from the same people.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    This current incarnation seems to do a good job of making it appear that Voltron flies off to some alternate dimension to combine then zaps back when the transformation is complete.

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    IIRC in the original series they actually tried that at one point, and it turns out the lions were surrounded by some kind of force field while forming Voltron.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like The Wonderful 101, in which there's a throwaway line that the hero transformations only take 0.0003 seconds in real time.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    chuchundra wrote: »
    My daughter is seven and had never seen any Voltron before we watched the Netflix series. This was literally the first thing she said to me the first time they formed Voltron.

I had a similar question back when I first watched Power Rangers when I was a kid. Why don't they just go straight to the giant robot and step on the monster before before Rita makes it huge?

Because television.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    wallywest wrote: »
    IIRC in the original series they actually tried that at one point, and it turns out the lions were surrounded by some kind of force field while forming Voltron.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oOCydGRcv1A

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that this question/joke is literally as old as tokusatsu, sentai, and/or magical girls.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Coincidentally, it's from the same people.

Oh yeah forgot about that. I'll be surprised if this doesn't come up at some point then.

• Options
    CEOIIICEOIII Registered User regular
    That actually happened once. It was the vehicle Voltron, though. The beast attacked one leg before it could join up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I had a similar question back when I first watched Power Rangers when I was a kid. Why don't they just go straight to the giant robot and step on the monster before before Rita makes it huge?

Because television.

I used to wonder about this too, but if you go back to the first episode the talking face whose mouth never moves quite right makes them all promise not to escalate their powers beyond what is necessary for each situation.

It was still kind of bullshit though. It's not like Rita/Zedd were super fair with them, and the consequences for failure were basically the enslavement/mass killing of all humanity with an evil dictator ruling the world. You'd think they would be allowed a little flexibility in deciding how to prevent that.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Villains do actually let the protagonist power up for a long time and finish their speeches and to return the kindness, the protagonists announced what attack they're going to pull before hand.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Villains do actually let the protagonist power up for a long time and finish their speeches and to return the kindness, the protagonists announced what attack they're going to pull before hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjHJBE5j3qA

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    wallywest wrote: »

Reminds me of the airplane joke, "Why don't they just make the whole plane out of the black box?"

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I liked how the new Voltron show took the time to find out the difference between a second and a tick. Then, later on they say something will be destroyed in 5 ticks, but it takes like 20 seconds for the forming Voltron scene to complete, which is WAY more than the 5 ticks.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not having kids, if it were not for PA I would be completely uninformed on the current state of children's television. I'm not sure if I would consider these revelations important, but they are at least interesting.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    MarkD1159MarkD1159 Registered User regular
    I have a theory that the formation of Voltron is, to some degree, a supernatural event that exists beyond time as we understand it. While there is an obviously mechanical and technological aspect to it, once the Robot is formed he seems to be far greater than the sum of his parts. To this I would postulate that the union of the five lions is as much an act of magic as it is of science.

When we watch Voltron coming together, we witness what the team does, we see the parts of the lions folding together and transforming into feet and legs and arms and body and the head. It seems like it takes upwards of a half minute to complete the transformation, during which time the lions are left open to attack.

To the external observer, I wonder if they see the lions being wrapped in glowing luminescence associated with their color as they fly towards one another, the five lights unifying in mere moments to one near-blinding coruscation from which emerges the fully formed Voltron in a seemingly effortless unification of the individual units.

If this is the case, then it would seem that an enemy would have to move incredibly fast to interrupt the transformation. While this may seem like a stretch, in the case of a 10,000 year old legendary defender of the universe that is loved by good and feared by evil, I don't think it's too much to believe. ;)

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    I look at it the same way I look at a magical girl transformation sequence. The viewer might be seeing it happening very slowly, and that's done for our benefit. But it's pretty obvious that it doesn't ACTUALLY take that long. Or, it's a piece of fluff animation that is done in lieu of showing the actual transformation, which is almost instantaneous. It's quite possibly more symbolic than literal.

• Options

Because television.

I used to wonder about this too, but if you go back to the first episode the talking face whose mouth never moves quite right makes them all promise not to escalate their powers beyond what is necessary for each situation.

It was still kind of bullshit though. It's not like Rita/Zedd were super fair with them, and the consequences for failure were basically the enslavement/mass killing of all humanity with an evil dictator ruling the world. You'd think they would be allowed a little flexibility in deciding how to prevent that.

Also a duel of giant robot vs giant monster inevitably results in said giants getting thrown into (presumably) populated or at the very least, costly, buildings.
    Giant robot turning regular sized monster into something sticky on the bottom of its robot foot, might be excessive use of force, but it probably results in far lass collateral damage.
    Basically, Zord is a weenie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Zordon*

• Options
    Oh that's right. Zord/Megazords were the robots or something? It's been like 20 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjkblueDjkblue Registered User new member
    Voltron Force The nicktoons series , that was canceled way to soon it kicked ass. Ahem back on topic they addressed this had a Robeast that kept interrupting them and so they couldn't form voltron eventualy they learned a new faster way.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Oh that's right. Zord/Megazords were the robots or something? It's been like 20 years.

Not 20 years enough. Did you know there are like a dozen power ranger series on Netflix? My son does!

(Also some profoundly shitty dinosaur cartoons. Not Dinosaur Train, though. We're cool, Dinosaur Train.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Roadblock97Roadblock97 Registered User new member
    the original show addressed this. One tried attacking while they were forming and got electrocuted. why no one else tried is beyond me.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Did they ever establish a limit on how long Captain Planet could stick around? Or a cool down time for summoning him? Or did they just lock him up between fights so he didn't decide to turn the whole world into trees?

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I recall one episode where Captain Planet couldn't completely de-summon himself due to two of the rings being out of range and got stuck as a discoloured version of himself with only Earth and Heart powers. He fell flat on his face when he tried to fly.

• Options

Not 20 years enough. Did you know there are like a dozen power ranger series on Netflix? My son does!

(Also some profoundly shitty dinosaur cartoons. Not Dinosaur Train, though. We're cool, Dinosaur Train.)

You know what was my other guilty pleasure around then? Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad.
    Oh to be young and stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Don't forget the Wal-Mart brand of Power Rangers: VR Troopers.