As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a midrange gaming system that comes with Windows 8.1

jothkijothki Registered User regular
For the past half a decade, I've been using a Dell XPS for gaming, and it has served me well. It was never particularly fancy, but it ran pretty much everything I threw at it with minimal issues. It's been getting on in age, though, and I've been planning on replacing it in a few weeks. And then the graphics card died yesterday. So that's that.

Normally I'd just get another XPS, but I want to run Windows 8.1 on it for now and Dell doesn't offer it any more, just Windows 10. I've verified that the system that I'm looking at (the XPS 8900) has working Windows 8.1 drivers available, so I could always just buy a copy of 8.1 and install it. On the other hand, I'm thinking that maybe I might be able to save the $100 by finding an equivalent system elsewhere that comes with 8.1 natively.

I'm not sure where I should be looking to compare things, though. Does anyone have any advice on where I should be looking, or if there's another system out there that's blatantly better than the Dell one?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It'll be pretty hard to find an OEM system with Win 8 on it anymore. Probably not impossible, but usually MS pushes pretty hard to keep them on the latest.
    Win XP and Win 7 stuck around for a while because they were immensely popular and their immediate successors were not, but that's not the case here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Wow...I've never heard of someone desperately wanting windows 8 before.

Honestly tho, 10 isnt any worse, and in some ways, better. I don't think you are going to lose anything without it. However you could go with an OEM system that does not have a harddrive in it, then just take the one out of your old computer and put it in your new one. I think that still works?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Honestly tho, 10 isnt any worse, and in some ways, better. I don't think you are going to lose anything without it. However you could go with an OEM system that does not have a harddrive in it, then just take the one out of your old computer and put it in your new one. I think that still works?

What can I say, I like Windows 7's interface and would like to have the option to continue to use it after 2020. I'm not even confident that Windows 10 won't eventually permanently break Classic Shell, since the underlying interface components are being slowly rebuilt.

Transferring the hard drive won't work, since OS activations are generally locked to motherboards rather than hard drives. Even if it worked it'd just give me Windows 7, which won't last through the intended lifetime of the system.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

What can I say, I like Windows 7's interface and would like to have the option to continue to use it after 2020. I'm not even confident that Windows 10 won't eventually permanently break Classic Shell, since the underlying interface components are being slowly rebuilt.

Transferring the hard drive won't work, since OS activations are generally locked to motherboards rather than hard drives. Even if it worked it'd just give me Windows 7, which won't last through the intended lifetime of the system.

Then why are you going after 8/8.1?

Windows 10 is Windows 7 but with Windows 8's OS improvements (booting + SSD stuff).

You don't need classic shell with 10, it is the classic windows experience. Everyone's issues with 10 are almost entirely "Ah forced update that I completely ignored for months instead of declining!"

My system performs well, better even, than it every did on 7.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think your only option is to buy refurbished.

Lenovo has some Win8/8 Pro systems in their outlet right now. Their inventory turns over fast though so you may have to act fast, or wait until one pops up.

Dell doesn't have any 8900's with Win8 right now (which makes me think they are just imaging them with Win10 automatically).

For HP I've only seen their Business outlet, and you can get systems with Win7, but not sure how you'll upgrade to 8/8.1 cause all my searches send me to "upgrade to Windows 10" links. Also they won't be gaming rigs. Maybe you can order up a midgrade graphics workstation that has a decent power supply, but it won't be optimized for gaming.

Edit: Also, you're going to be married to that system for awhile as Microsoft says it's ending support for Win 7/8.1 as of Kaby Lake and killing off Win 7/8.1 support for Skylake though critical security updates will be available for several years later. Though MS has caved before on dates like these. If I really wanted Windows 8.1 and for the system to have legs in gaming I might build it from scratch, not use Skylake (maybe use AMD's best right now), and get a mobo that supports SLI/Crossfire. It'd be tough for me to justify the expense of spending the same for previous generation hardware though.

Djeet on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There is literally no reason to pick anything but Windows 10 for a brand new system. It's interface is more like Windows 7 than Windows 8.1 is, and it has far more performance improvements than W7.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Spend $5 and get Start10 to make the Start menu like 7 or 8 and call it a day.

Win 10 does have some of the oddities of 8; like mixing of metro apps with the classic programs, but overall they toned down the tile crap considerably.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There is literally no reason to pick anything but Windows 10 for a brand new system. It's interface is more like Windows 7 than Windows 8.1 is, and it has far more performance improvements than W7.

I've used Windows 8.1 for years. I've used Windows 10 for a week and a half before deciding that I didn't like it and switching back to 7. Windows 8.1 is much closer to 7 than 10 is.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I've used Windows 8.1 for years. I've used Windows 10 for a week and a half before deciding that I didn't like it and switching back to 7. Windows 8.1 is much closer to 7 than 10 is.

I have no idea what you're saying right now.

8.1 and 7 are completely unlike each other. 8.1 differs from 8 in that they added a "windows" button on the task bar when you're in desktop mode that brings you back to metro. It's still windows 8.

7 and 10 both have the classic start button and menu (just organized a bit differently than 7) and windows 10 gets rid of metro completely (merges metro into windowed apps on the desktop instead).

If you dislike the metro tiles or the way the start menu is organized, start10 or classic shell should return it to the windows 7/xp look.

But as far as "Windows 8.1 is much closer to 7 than 10 is" that's just a wrong statement.

I'm not trying to jump or make you feel bad here, but, it's hard to help someone that is looking for the wrong thing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I don't know of any OEM's that are actively using 8.1 any more. Like others have said, 7 stuck around because people wanted it, but 99% of people were much happier with 10 than 8/8.1, so they just don't offer it any more. You are a very niche market.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    In any case, I'm probably just going to go with the Dell and a separately purchased copy of Windows 8.1.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In any case, I'm probably just going to go with the Dell and a separately purchased copy of Windows 8.1.

Hello, yes. If you google "make windows 10 look like 7" you actually get an automated response from google because doing so is both so simple and so easy that it doesn't require more than a paragraph.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Let me join on the bandwagon and say that my current system is Windows 10, but looks pretty much like Windows 7, with only a couple of differences. I even reskinned it to look like a classic Windows XP interface. Windows 10 allows you to keep a Windows 7 look and feel while completely ditching Metro (which Windows 8.1 can't do).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I know that I can make Windows 10 look more like 7. I can make Windows 8 look even more like 7, and there's no risk of any of that ever being disabled. The only non-removable aspect of Metro is the settings app, and that doesn't matter that much and wouldn't be that much better in a window anyway.

And if Windows 10 does ever become worth using over 8.1, I can just switch over for free anyway.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    There is no risk of it being disabled in 10, but in 8 you have several security leaks, slower performance, and increasingly bloated storage space and capacity. 8.1, once updated to present security, is downright huge, clunky, and slow. You also don't have guaranteed security upgrades over time as Windows has openly stated they are moving everyone to 10 to have only one universal system they can be upgrading and supporting.

There is literally no quantitative reason to stick with 8.1 unless you have some sort of irrational love of those two numbers. If you choose to do that, good on you. It's just silly, will be more expensive, will perform worse, and won't get you your money's worth on a new system. It's a very odd thing to be clannish about.

• Options
    I know that I can make Windows 10 look more like 7. I can make Windows 8 look even more like 7, and there's no risk of any of that ever being disabled. The only non-removable aspect of Metro is the settings app, and that doesn't matter that much and wouldn't be that much better in a window anyway.

And if Windows 10 does ever become worth using over 8.1, I can just switch over for free anyway.

I feel like you haven't actually physically used 10.

None of what you are saying is describing is Windows 8.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

I feel like you haven't actually physically used 10.

None of what you are saying is describing is Windows 8.

To me, it feels like no one else here has actually physically used 8.1. The desktop is almost exactly the same as 7, Microsoft just added some stuff on the side that I don't care about and never have to look at. The start menu needs to be replaced, but it also needs to be replaced in 10 as well. There are other issues I don't like about 8.1, but 10 fixes none of them and probably won't ever unless Microsoft undergoes significant changes in direction.

Windows 8 was bad, sure, especially directly out of the box. 8.1 is not 8.

• Options
    8.1 added a button to the start menu that opens metro

There's no start menu (though you can fake it in with classic start).

10 has a start menu (you can have metro tiles on it, but is not required)

Metro is still tightly wound around 8.1 to the point that you can't really remove it. Sure, the metro apps show up on your task bar, and they have a title bar now, but otherwise you're still in a windows 8 ecosystem.

For all intents and purposes, Windows 10 is the classic windows experience, while 8.1 is not (just a modified 8).

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Don't see the point in trying to convince someone out of a preference that doesn't hurt anyone.

Personally I'd like to see an option in Win10 to enable hot corners and make search work the way it did in Win8.1.

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    Don't see the point in trying to convince someone out of a preference that doesn't hurt anyone.

Personally I'd like to see an option in Win10 to enable hot corners and make search work the way it did in Win8.1.

@Djeet

http://apps.codigobit.info/2015/10/winxcorners-hot-corners-for-windows-10.html

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    {snip}And if Windows 10 does ever become worth using over 8.1, I can just switch over for free anyway.

I just wanted to add that in a month, this is no longer going to be an option.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I also think all of Microsoft's new Xbox-PC unified architecture stuff requires Windows 10. I'm not sure if that'll go anywhere or not, but it is something to keep in mind.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    {snip}And if Windows 10 does ever become worth using over 8.1, I can just switch over for free anyway.

I just wanted to add that in a month, this is no longer going to be an option.

Yeah, but even if my system didn't come with Windows 10 built in I'd still have a month to pop the upgrade on and back off, so that was never an issue. Though it was why I was originally planning on getting a system in the next few weeks before entropy forced my hand.
    Djeet wrote: »

Great, now if I criticize your poor taste in interface design I'll feel bad.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    This whole thread has got me confused.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    This whole thread has got me confused.

Clearly Ubuntu is the answer.