As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Even Sicker Tat, Brah

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Olympic archer buddy of mine got one of these tattooed on his calf. It's pretty awesome.

78420x.jpg

I'd be afraid to tat anything geometric because it's eventually going to warp and look weird.

To me it has the same problem as getting one of those symbols from Shadow of the Colossus tattooed on you, which is that it's just an open invitation for someone to stab you there ;_;

Then don't let mentally unstable people see them?

Well, if he's an Olympic archer, it's going to be hard to have his calves hidden at all times. I mean, IIRC, Archery isn't a winter event.
    And you got all them rabid Olympians just sitting around, just waiting for a target to pop up... Just asking for trouble there.

I mean, I wear pants 24/7 so it's not hard to keep my calves hidden all the time.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to everyone for the advice

I didn't have anything to use as a reference point for a price

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    For future reference, there is usually a minimum setup fee (60-80) and then theoretically its hourly after that, usually ~100+ dollars. Like others said it's simple but a lot of ink, and getting those edges perfect is hard.

also you typically tip 20% on top of their estimate.

also if you go back to the same artist multiple times they'll often give you a discount / not really care about the hourly rate as much just do a flat estimate.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    They did mention a $40 deposit when making an appointment.

Thanks for the info

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Even more advice! Don't be afraid to go back and get a touch up. Large inked areas can end up a bit patchy, due to numerous reasons, and a good artist won't have any issue touching up work they've just done once it heals and you get a good look at it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    :( My artist hurt his wrist so my tattoo session had to be cancelled, and he's flying out of town tomorrow.

I am super super genuinely depressed about this.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That sucks!

Do you have a new date yet?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Sure why not: linework done 3 weeks ago, back for shading and other details in 2 weeks.
    IlLTbx4.jpg
    lzKSC3h.jpg
    For an idea of the shading and detail:
    NzcUYnF_d.jpg

Edit: never ever doing this from a phone again...

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    That sucks!

No, he was visiting from Korea, he doesn't have any plans to come back here right now.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    That sucks!

No, he was visiting from Korea, he doesn't have any plans to come back here right now.

Dang, thats unfortunate man. Hope he eventually does.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Ugh, serious buzz kill. Bro fist for reals.

Not to upstage ya, but I’m having a hell of a time nailing down a spot to finish my Ripley sleeve. It’s getting to the point where I’m just gonna have to wait until after my next deployment. Which is super upsetting because I’m incredibly impatient and unreasonable etc etc

I could potentially do it right before I leave, but it would take a god damn eternity to heal on a submarine with the oxygen being lower than normal. I once left with a fairly fresh sun burn and it took just forever to heal

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Bwanie that's really cool, I've been thinking about a wrap thing.

I like to ART
  • Options
    thanks man, appreciated.

Wanted to incorporate the coverart of my favourite sublime album in some way but not have it be too obvious.

I really like way it turned out so far, has a nice organic flow to it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    bwanie wrote: »
    thanks man, appreciated.

Wanted to incorporate the coverart of my favourite sublime album in some way but not have it be too obvious.

I really like way it turned out so far, has a nice organic flow to it.

ooh, I see it now. That is very subtle and cool.
    Two things I never I never though I would say about a sublime tattoo.

To be clear, I love the band...but I also grew up in the south bay and have seen lots of bad sun tattoos in my day.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Oh god they are so hideous yes.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Was able to finish up this part of Ripley. The rest will probably have to happen towards the end of the year. Was also able to get my wrist bone and elbow touched up on my xenomorph. Good stuffs.

mosssnack on
  • Options
    GOD that looks great

I found out a Korean artist I follow was doing last minute guestwork here in HK while I'm here on holiday so I made up for the cancellation last month

No pics yet because she's sending me real photos and whoops it's extra impossible to take a good photo of your own lower shoulderblade, but this is the first time I've gotten to use Dermalize and this shit is amazing

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    p5wFrmwl.jpg

There 'tis

Too bad she didn't put on beautyface... for my back

but whatever

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    That's really cool!

• Options
    Yooo that is pretty dope. Looks super clean, too! That piece on your oblique is rad as well!

• Options
    Goddamned having to buy clothes instead of getting a tattoo

Complete bullshit imo

• Options
    I want a "the mountains are calling" tattoo but I also know I'm not actually a "hike the pacific crest trail" kind of person, so I'm thinking something more like a bear in a green dumpster with a 395 sticker on it.

I like to ART
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Goddamned having to buy clothes instead of getting a tattoo

Complete bullshit imo

You get enough tattoos and you won't need clothes.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I have several ideas for tattoos, but I still haven't made the jump for the first one

I talked to a couple of shops and picked which one I would make an appointment at, but I don't have a ton of disposable income, now I have to buy a blazer/sportcoat

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://i.imgur.com/o5Ctpgv.mp4

this is a really cool style

Linking because I'm not sure if the file is too big

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Can you link that, please, I can't see a goddamned thing on mobile

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok that is fucking awesome.

I've seen some stuff lately about 'embroidery' style looking tattoos that look really neat.

Edging me closer to an idea for a tattoo, but with knitting stitches, or something. I don't know

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I would absolutely assume that was just thread running through the skin if I saw it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I know I have two tattoos that area going to struggle to keep detail over time. But I'd really question how long that one will hold detail for.

It looks amazing right now though.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I want a "the mountains are calling" tattoo but I also know I'm not actually a "hike the pacific crest trail" kind of person, so I'm thinking something more like a bear in a green dumpster with a 395 sticker on it.

I can't tell if this is a joke idea but I genuinely think it's awesome and hilarious

Of course I'm also planning with my best friend to get tattoos respectively of a shark and a bear, because we're Nature's Best Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24ZWw5ZVXI

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Haha, well most of my tattoos are very much not serious so...it's not a complete joke. I'm going to sit on it for a few months and see how I feel.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Well can I get a giant killer bee?

• Options
    Also because I'm a crazy person and have a "plan" my next piece is going to be on the inside of my thigh just above the knee. Which is kind of a weird spot, but might be perfect for my trash bear?

I like to ART
  • Options
    god, I can't imagine anything on the inside of my thigh being anything other than fire and agony. just above the knee though may not be so bad

• Options
    mosssnack wrote: »
    god, I can't imagine anything on the inside of my thigh being anything other than fire and agony. just above the knee though may not be so bad

I already have one high on my calf in that behind the knee area.

It was awful.

I like to ART
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So I was real gungho bout getting some ink a while back and then it cooled and now I'm gungho again.

Problem is I cannot find an artist near me that specializes in solid linework. Like, the line up here is... not good. The one person who fit the bill and I was seriously looking at moved back to her original shop like, 3+ hours away which is a drive but I guess worth it if I decide to pull the trigger.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    mosssnack wrote: »

I already have one high on my calf in that behind the knee area.

It was awful.

Oof, yeah, that sounds awful. My worst so far has been the top of the foot.

Project I’m looking to start in a year or two is
    gonna involve blacking out my nipples. Should be a good time

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    So I was real gungho bout getting some ink a while back and then it cooled and now I'm gungho again.

Problem is I cannot find an artist near me that specializes in solid linework. Like, the line up here is... not good. The one person who fit the bill and I was seriously looking at moved back to her original shop like, 3+ hours away which is a drive but I guess worth it if I decide to pull the trigger.

That's a better excuse for a road trip than what I usually come up with.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I figure if I have to drive that far then I'll probably stay over the weekend. Which means I need to go big and get like, a half sleeve. I have a vague notion of what I want I just need to either nail down the concept or call the place, shout my idea and then hang up cause I'm a nervous baby boy.

• Options
    That’s really the hardest part for me. Taking this vague idea in my head and trying to use, like, words to explain it to another person well enough to sit down and go ok, start dippin and rippin!