As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So hey, there's this [!!!ZOMG ELECTION!!!] thing going on...

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Once upon a time, some guys turned a small body of water into the world's largest cup of tea, and now - long story short - some folks are running for president.

Somehow, this involves giant walls, email, and a movie about a Scandinavian girl with magic ice powers, because fuck, I don't even know anymore.

This thread has a two drink minimum. Discuss.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This teetotaler erasure

If I can withstand Brexit sober, I can read this thread sober!

I think if Trump had his way, the only person suitable for his cabinet would be Donald Trump

And I'm not talking Trump clones, Trump wouldn't tolerate such talkback, I'm saying he'd probably appoint himself* to everything

*Or totally spineless yesmen

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Is America great again yet?

This is taking too long.

Can I talk to the manager?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

This is taking too long.

Great in the way Voldemort did great things

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This thread has a two drink minimum. Discuss.

Hang on, let me get ready.

2pfguggxuiu7.gif

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

This is taking too long.

Great in the way Voldemort did great things

Heh, that's actually a pretty good great contrast between Trump, Voldemort, and what their vision of a utopia is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Go Gary Johnson! You give 'em Hell!

(I have no idea who Gary Johnson is)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Former Republican Governor of New Mexico, Libertarian Party candidate, crazy person.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Actually sad that this thread isn't titled: "the perpetual dumpster fire: Election 2016"

Still think thats the best tagline ever made.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2016
    So last night montel williams said trump and hillary are the same because they haven't talked about the vets and the care they need.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/11/11/supporting-our-veterans-troops-and-their-families/

I mean, first off...

So not only a false equivalency but a false equivalency based on a false premise. Montel and msnbc pls.

Sometimes I wish there was a left leaninng network that didn't run terrible segments like this all the time.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Former Republican Governor of New Mexico, Libertarian Party candidate, crazy person.

Wants to you to know he can cure ebola with his weed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klnU9CLsBoE

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So last night montel williams said trump and hillary are the same because they haven't talked about the vets and the care they need.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/11/11/supporting-our-veterans-troops-and-their-families/

I mean, first off...

So not only a false equivalency but a false equivalency based on a false premise. Montel and msnbc pls.

Sometimes I wish there was a left leaninng network that didn't run terrible segments like this all the time.

Fusion's pretty good, and MSNBC used to be.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I mean, first off...

The only thing MSNBC is good for is giving Rachel Maddow airtime. And it really should just be 24 hours of her.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Wow, Trump essentially told Flake he'd rather have a Congress full of Democrats than have Republicans who disagree with him.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Kinda takes the "will you respect article 1" question into context again.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I mean, first off...

The only thing MSNBC is good for is giving Rachel Maddow airtime. And it really should just be 24 hours of her.

Her rotating cast of fill-ins is pretty good, too. I'll happily watch them wherever they show up.

Otherwise, it's basically been going downhill since 2008.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I mean, first off...

Chris Hayes is pretty good. Sometimes he has a Trumper on and he just gets the best wrf faces at everything they say. Also Last Word is alright, I appreciate Laurence's anger and lack of fucks to give. Oh and AM Joy is great

Otherwise yeah the station is pretty meh.

I'm gonna check out Fusion and see how I like it

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    TV news is useless for non-breaking stuff. Cronkite managed to express about a page and a half of the New York Times level of information in half an hour. And most TV news isn't on par with Cronkite.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    moniker wrote: »
    TV news is useless for non-breaking stuff. Cronkite managed to express about a page and a half of the New York Times level of information in half an hour. And most TV news isn't on par with Cronkite.

And nowadays things can break even faster on the internet. And even then, reading it is much faster. At this point, if I click a link and am taken to a video, I just hit back and look elsewhere.

jothki on
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

I mean...do you know anybody who smokes a lot of pot who ALSO has ebola?

I don't!

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

I mean, first off...

Chris Hayes is pretty good. Sometimes he has a Trumper on and he just gets the best wrf faces at everything they say. Also Last Word is alright, I appreciate Laurence's anger and lack of fucks to give. Oh and AM Joy is great

Otherwise yeah the station is pretty meh.

I'm gonna check out Fusion and see how I like it

This is pretty much my list, too. Maddow, Kornachie or however it's spelled, Reid, O'Donnel and most of the time Hayes are pretty good. I used to like Chuck Todd, back when he was willing to do things like call the '08 race at 7 pm Eastern due to the numbers and not drag it out all night for drama, but he's pretty worthless nowadays.

I have to admit that I miss Olbermann every once in a while.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Now its not 20% too high, its 22% too high

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

And nowadays things can break even faster on the internet. And even then, reading it is much faster. At this point, if I click a link and am taken to a video, I just hit back and look elsewhere.

Yeah and the Internet allows easier access to primary sources other than video so you can make up your own mind rather than get it filtered

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Trump campaign has released a statement on the shootings.

I really hope he at least keeps the tone of the ghost written statement.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think we might need to send someone around to check on Trump. That sounds an awful lot like a Duress Code from him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Trump campaign has released a statement on the shootings.

I really hope he at least keeps the tone of the ghost written statement.

"Two motorists" except Alton Sterling wasn't driving anywhere.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Bullshit he wrote/said that

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »

I mean...do you know anybody who smokes a lot of pot who ALSO has ebola?

I don't!

Well, I'm sold.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Also, wasn't the shooting of the Dallas police officers done pretty much the opposite of "execution-style"?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trump's a bit of a fixer-upper

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    If people are opposed to the fabled and oft-cited threat of a "race war" breaking out then Trump is probably the worst candidate you could support as he has essentially promised to use state power to abuse minorities in every avenue it is possible to abuse them

but of course that means I await the inevitable polls showing a bump in his meager-ass favorables following these horrific events

Also probably some alt-right, reddit-mined image RT'd on Trump's Twitter that, as he will later defend vociferously, "definitely not a noose, who would think that's a noose, it can't be a noose, it's a lasso, you know, like cowboys, it's a lasso"

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Of course Trump politicizes the shootings in a really shitty way

Because of course he does

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I give it about an hour until Trump says or tweets something making this all about himself

• Options

Trump's tweet is more about the vague horrors going on than anything else to me.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Not going to lie that statement is terrifying due especially to paragraph 2 mainly because I'm not sure I'd like how he'd want to go about restoring law and order to the streets.

Also, yeah, clearly written by not him.

But like nice try on using a tragedy to attempt to pivot DT.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Odds John Walsh gets offered a speaking spot at the RNC after last night's bullshit?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Odds John Walsh gets offered a speaking spot at the RNC after last night's bullshit?

20% but only because I thought they already had the lineup.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Not going to lie that statement is terrifying due especially to paragraph 2 mainly because I'm not sure I'd like how he'd want to go about restoring law and order to the streets.
    Not sure? Trump favors brutality, no rights for non-law abiding citizens with that not being determined by the courts, and has repeatedly talked about how political correctness prevents the police from doing their job and how protesters would be beated in the good old days.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    If people are opposed to the fabled and oft-cited threat of a "race war" breaking out then Trump is probably the worst candidate you could support as he has essentially promised to use state power to abuse minorities in every avenue it is possible to abuse them

but of course that means I await the inevitable polls showing a bump in his meager-ass favorables following these horrific events

Also probably some alt-right, reddit-mined image RT'd on Trump's Twitter that, as he will later defend vociferously, "definitely not a noose, who would think that's a noose, it can't be a noose, it's a lasso, you know, like cowboys, it's a lasso"

I kinda wanna mock something up and seed it now. Something like a "lasso" on a rustic western backdrop. A cross with some fire behind it. Text overlay that says "We must bring all enemies of our country to justice."

Prolly throw in an actual sheriff star for good measure since Donald is fond of them and to hammer home that this is about cowboy justice, not a lynching.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Of course Trump politicizes the shootings in a really shitty way

Because of course he does

At least this time he isn't saying he predicted it and why won't any give him credit for it?....Of course it's still early...

This discussion has been closed.