As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

Scott Kelly readjusting to gravity after 1 year in space

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ugh. You got to be so pissed that gravity is a thing again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    wellwalla

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

until you poop

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    the instinct to bound to the ceiling and bound off that must be supremely disappointing

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TheStig wrote: »

until you poop

i don't think I would ever poop in space
    i have enough trouble after travelling in a plane

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tynic, please poop in space whenever you end up going.

No, don't just build a robot that will "poop for you."

You can't fool me with that sort of thing again.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've held my poop in public places, I will hold my poop for this 6 month space mission.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

i'll try chico
    but i'm gonna warn you now, there's a good chance the first human footprint on Mars will be quickly followed by the first monstrous human bowel unloading.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

i'll try chico
    but i'm gonna warn you now, there's a good chance the first human footprint on Mars will be quickly followed by the first monstrous human bowel unloading.

Well, I suppose terraforming has to start somewhere.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What if the robot is a robotic colon and bowels, that robot could poop for you

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

i'll try chico

I am curious though since they would compost it while on the surface but would they leave it behind or take it back with them? send it floating toward the sun? let it burn up in our atmosphere?

• Options
    Nah. A thousand years from now, after the terraforming, the spot would still be known as Listen Don't Go In That Crater. And nobody will know why.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Take only photographs

Leave only poop

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    please do not poop in low earth orbit-- we're already close enough to an ablation cascade as it is

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Unless, of course, your poop would naturally deorbit from atmospheric drag on a reasonable time scale.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Surely a big greasy turd would burn up on atmospheric re-entry? The only damage caused would be almost everybody in the country below wrinkling their noses and checkin their pet's litter tray?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    91lgtnhjou88.jpg

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh shit everyone, Gozer has a dinosaur minion!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/new-dinosaur-discovered-zuul-1.4105047

tdy4uljx62xt.jpg
    Paleontologist Victoria Arbour noticed a resemblance between the skull of the dinosaur and Ghostbuster villain Zuul, and the name stuck. (Danielle Dufault/Royal Ontario Museum, Ghostbusters Wiki)
    "Me and my co-author David Evans were batting around ideas for what to name it, and I just half-jokingly said, 'It looks like Zuul from Ghostbusters,'" she said. "Once we put that out there we couldn't not name it that."

Fucking nerds.

https://youtu.be/wadNi6mpeKc

TankHammer on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Do you know Steve? Steve is pretty interesting and mysterious! Also Steve's Canadian.

The European Space Agency even had a satelite look at Steve because Steve is so fascinating. It got pretty hot.

When Swarm met Steve

honovere on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hey so this happened?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/dinosaur-nodosaur-fossil-discovery/

They found a good part of a fossilized dinosaur. not just the bones but skin and stuff.

• Options
    They're going to figure out what color it was! Right now they think it was red! What a rad looking dinosaur!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Shit I saw that picture around elsewhere but I thought it the usual cgi reconstruction. I gotta start reading past the headlines.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Last night I was out at a friend's place and their daughter had a cheap telescope out trying to look at some star or other. I have never gotten to use one before so I was excited to get a chance to help them hone in on one.

Took me a while and I didn't realize until I noticed it moving but the one I was aiming for was actually a planet. (the daughter thought it must be jupiter after looking at it, so I installed sky map on my phone and confirmed she was right haha)

It would have been easier with a nicer telescope or if I knew how to use it before starting. For fuck sake I had it zoomed in all the way trying to aim at a moving planet.

I think I want to get one now myself. Someone help me shop for starter telescopes...

Someone on craigslist near the university is selling a used Levenhuk refractor for 100 bucks which is like a third of what it goes for on amazon. I wonder if that would do good for me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Living in the core of the city plus lol Seattle clouds means I don't remember the last time I saw the stars.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Weaver wrote: »
    Living in the core of the city plus lol Seattle clouds means I don't remember the last time I saw the stars.

Drop me a line if you're ever in the mood for a road trip. The farm I grew up on is at 5000 feet elevation on the high plains of New Mexico, and if you see better stars they'll be from the International Space Station. I can recommend some very tolerable hotels and world-class stuffed sopapillas in the area.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    Last night I was out at a friend's place and their daughter had a cheap telescope out trying to look at some star or other. I have never gotten to use one before so I was excited to get a chance to help them hone in on one.

Took me a while and I didn't realize until I noticed it moving but the one I was aiming for was actually a planet. (the daughter thought it must be jupiter after looking at it, so I installed sky map on my phone and confirmed she was right haha)

It would have been easier with a nicer telescope or if I knew how to use it before starting. For fuck sake I had it zoomed in all the way trying to aim at a moving planet.

I think I want to get one now myself. Someone help me shop for starter telescopes...

Someone on craigslist near the university is selling a used Levenhuk refractor for 100 bucks which is like a third of what it goes for on amazon. I wonder if that would do good for me.

So I did quite a bit a research a couple of years ago when I was trying to get telescopes added to the circulating collection of my library. I will say that Levenhuk is the Porche of telescopes, in that they are generally better quality, but for more money than that increase in quality is really worth. If you can get your hands on a cheap one, I would recommend it if you're looking for a manual telescope.

The thing is, you can get a really good manual telescope for a decent amount of money. Anything over 90mm will get you a relatively crisp, clear picture of Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, and Venus, which are the four planets you'll be able to see with a consumer-grade reflector. You'll also be able to get some pretty good images of some local galaxies and some of the brighter nebulae, but good luck finding them.

For more money, you'll be able to get a decent telescope attached to a go-to motor, which will automatically find any object in the sky you tell it to. For $400, you can get an entry-level computer controlled telescope that will let you view objects you will never find with a manual telescope, but the picture probably won't be as clear as the $100 telescope you're looking at.

Edit: Make that "certainly won't be as clear." I can't even find a Levenhuk telescope that wouldn't be a whole lot better than the 80mm computer rig I linked you to. I haven't really done any astronomy since the smartphone revolution, so manual telescopes may well be much more useful than they used to be.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    On a clear night you can resolve the Galilean moons with a decent pair of binoculars, even. Helps to use a ladder to stabilize your view.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

So I did quite a bit a research a couple of years ago when I was trying to get telescopes added to the circulating collection of my library. I will say that Levenhuk is the Porche of telescopes, in that they are generally better quality, but for more money than that increase in quality is really worth. If you can get your hands on a cheap one, I would recommend it if you're looking for a manual telescope.

The thing is, you can get a really good manual telescope for a decent amount of money. Anything over 90mm will get you a relatively crisp, clear picture of Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, and Venus, which are the four planets you'll be able to see with a consumer-grade reflector. You'll also be able to get some pretty good images of some local galaxies and some of the brighter nebulae, but good luck finding them.

For more money, you'll be able to get a decent telescope attached to a go-to motor, which will automatically find any object in the sky you tell it to. For $400, you can get an entry-level computer controlled telescope that will let you view objects you will never find with a manual telescope, but the picture probably won't be as clear as the $100 telescope you're looking at.

Edit: Make that "certainly won't be as clear." I can't even find a Levenhuk telescope that wouldn't be a whole lot better than the 80mm computer rig I linked you to. I haven't really done any astronomy since the smartphone revolution, so manual telescopes may well be much more useful than they used to be.

Tracking down anything besides the brightest objects hasn't gotten much better. There are hacks+apps that let you turn about any scope into a push-to, but it isn't an ideal solution. Some of the newer Celestron mounts will let you control the go-to motor with a phone/tablet instead of the hand controller, but those aren't really beginner products (unless you have a huge budget).

The cheapest new-in-box telescope I can honestly recommend is the AWB OneSky, which gets you a 130mm tabletop reflector for $200.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    On a clear night you can resolve the Galilean moons with a decent pair of binoculars, even. Helps to use a ladder to stabilize your view.

And you're also closer on the ladder, so they'll look bigger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Heck, get a tall enough ladder and you won't even need the binoculars

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Heck, get a tall enough ladder and you won't even need the binoculars

watch out for that one:

8231vd3.jpg

http://pbfcomics.com/comics/peak-performance/

• Options
    I would really want to get a telescope and to take out to my mom's place. She lives in the boonies of Wood County Ohio. Probably as close to 0 light pollution I'm bound to get close to here.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I would really want to get a telescope and to take out to my mom's place. She lives in the boonies of Wood County Ohio. Probably as close to 0 light pollution I'm bound to get close to here.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/travel-scope-portable-telescope/travel-scope-70-portable-telescope

I have this as a travel telescope and I highly recommend it as a starter telescope. The eyepieces it comes with will give you a 20x and 40x magnification which will let you see the gallean moons with ease, and it's great to just look at the moon with it.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/omni-4-mm-eyepiece

This eye piece will give you around a 100x magnification which should be enough magnification to see Saturn's rings and possibly Jupiter's bands.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/barlow-lenses/x-cel-lx-125in-3x-barlow-lens

Add in one of these bad boys and it'll triple the magnification, or so they say since I haven't had the chance to try one myself.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Rad! Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really am leaning towards this craigslist scope still.

I think it's a strike 90 model? (90mm aperture 600mm focal length?) It also seems to come with a little camera you can attach to the eyepiece thing and do astrophotography which seems rad a hell.

If I end up picking it up I will come here asking for resources on learning to use it!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Veevee wrote: »

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/travel-scope-portable-telescope/travel-scope-70-portable-telescope

I have this as a travel telescope and I highly recommend it as a starter telescope. The eyepieces it comes with will give you a 20x and 40x magnification which will let you see the gallean moons with ease, and it's great to just look at the moon with it.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/omni-4-mm-eyepiece

This eye piece will give you around a 100x magnification which should be enough magnification to see Saturn's rings and possibly Jupiter's bands.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/barlow-lenses/x-cel-lx-125in-3x-barlow-lens

Add in one of these bad boys and it'll triple the magnification, or so they say since I haven't had the chance to try one myself.

Barlows work pretty well. I have a 2x to help cover some gaps in my eyepiece lineup.
    Rad! Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really am leaning towards this craigslist scope still.

I think it's a strike 90 model? (90mm aperture 600mm focal length?) It also seems to come with a little camera you can attach to the eyepiece thing and do astrophotography which seems rad a hell.

If I end up picking it up I will come here asking for resources on learning to use it!

One thing I'll say about the Strike 90 (just from looking at pictures) is that the eyepieces it comes with are not super-great, even if a 90mm refractor for $100 is a pretty good deal on it. If you end up getting into it, I would toss all the included EPs and replace with something like this. You'll also probably want to supplement the red-dot finder with a small (30-50mm) finder scope to spend less time trying to find stuff in the main scope.

Serious astrophotography gets into crazytown money really fast (like a "cheap" mount for deep-sky AP is $1000 with no optics). Be careful :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Haha, what the hell, Oklahoma? Round two tomorrow, I guess.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I've wondered for years, how do photographers do that?
    Be aiming at the right place, at the right time, and take the picture in the split second the lightning flashes?
    If there's something that helps them, shouldn't that be used to help avoid lightning?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I've wondered for years, how do photographers do that?
    Be aiming at the right place, at the right time, and take the picture in the split second the lightning flashes?
    If there's something that helps them, shouldn't that be used to help avoid lightning?

There are handheld devices you can get that can tell you reasonably accurately how far away and from what direction lightning is going to come. The minesite I used to work at used them for all their drilling teams so they'd know to pack down the rig and come back to camp if they were in danger of copping a strike.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Generally it's a long exposure - everything else is pretty dark, so you can leave the iris open for a lot longer than usual without overexposing, but the split second of brightness is recorded clearly.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
This discussion has been closed.