As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't season 1 have a scene where Will's mom got tickets to Poltergeist? That came out mid-1982.

Movies lasted longer and would have multiple runs back then

Bah they should have just bought it on 4K on iTunes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    amzounslideslideamzounslideslide Registered User new member
    I think Mike lost his temper with Will's "stupid girl " comment, referring to El. Mike regretted his words though and went rushing out in the rain to apologize. Mike didn't even do that for El, so it showed how much he cared for Will.

I don't get why Will gets a pass from so many people for saying El was a stupid girl though. It was like he didn't consider El a friend. He never took that statement back too or apologized.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Finished the season yesterday. It was good but not as enjoyable as the previous seasons.
    They showed way too much right from the start. I would've prefered being suprised by the flayed. Also, having to figure out who is flayed or not would have been fun. Certainly more interesting than gory monsters that somehow
    always stop and wait when they have pretty much secured a kill, leaving way too much time for someone to save the day.

The mindflayer has the power to control people, yet in the end it was mostly just a physical threat that also suddenly happened to be slow and stupid. It could"ve simply crushed the cabin right away seeing it knew the kids were in there. In the mall when getting hit by fireworks I don't see why it was just standing there when it should've trashed and flailed around if it cared at all about it's own survival (which obvioulsy it does).

I know it's typical monster tropes but in this season they were frequent and very obvious concessions because a bunch of kids can't realisticly do anything against a 30feet tall monster.

If season 4 is gonna be yet another gate with demogorgons and the mindflayer I can already say that I don't have much excitement for that.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    A lot of people forget the weirdness that is early teenage-hood. I think Hopper was fine, especially given how deeply misogynistic a lot of culture was at the time and his own struggle with raising someone solo. I felt the season was a little too action-y compared to past, but overall pretty solid. One thing to remember - as an homage to 80's culture and movies, there's a TON of logical gaps/issues with behavior.
    Slightly disappointed that Steve sort of went nowhere (and he did win the fight with the demagorgon in the past)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Finished the season yesterday. It was good but not as enjoyable as the previous seasons.
    They showed way too much right from the start. I would've prefered being suprised by the flayed. Also, having to figure out who is flayed or not would have been fun. Certainly more interesting than gory monsters that somehow
    always stop and wait when they have pretty much secured a kill, leaving way too much time for someone to save the day.

The mindflayer has the power to control people, yet in the end it was mostly just a physical threat that also suddenly happened to be slow and stupid. It could"ve simply crushed the cabin right away seeing it knew the kids were in there. In the mall when getting hit by fireworks I don't see why it was just standing there when it should've trashed and flailed around if it cared at all about it's own survival (which obvioulsy it does).

I know it's typical monster tropes but in this season they were frequent and very obvious concessions because a bunch of kids can't realisticly do anything against a 30feet tall monster.

If season 4 is gonna be yet another gate with demogorgons and the mindflayer I can already say that I don't have much excitement for that.

I feel like the Mindflayer was specifically targeting El because then she becomes a part of him. I wonder if that meant it'd get more powerful after that.

• Options
    Them barricading themselves in the cabin was so stupid though.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I made it to the beginning of the last episode, but I must sleep for work tomorrow.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Them barricading themselves in the cabin was so stupid though.

Yeah, you run from the giant thing that is knocking trees around. As pointed out it was just plot armor that saved them all.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah. They should have ran instead of waiting in the cabin.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    It's exactly what a kid would think was a good idea. Pull the covers over your head.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    I always wonder about the cleanup after these monster attacks.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Physical cleanup? Lots of hoses and biohazard suits. Bury it in the desert.

PR cleanup? Magnets. Weather balloons.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Physical cleanup? Lots of hoses and biohazard suits. Bury it in the desert.

PR cleanup? Magnets. Weather balloons.

The nostalgia critic has a review of the matrix movies and they have cuts to the news reporting on the bat shit crazy stuff people in the matrix would see. Very funny part of the review. The cause of most things.

The wind of course

• Options
    I finally finished it. Purty gud.

• Options
    About the end. Spoilering just in case.
    Good thing the monster didn't turn into a bunch of dead people.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    About the end. Spoilering just in case.
    Good thing the monster didn't turn into a bunch of dead people.

Well you can't turn into what you already are

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    schuss wrote: »
    A lot of people forget the weirdness that is early teenage-hood. I think Hopper was fine, especially given how deeply misogynistic a lot of culture was at the time and his own struggle with raising someone solo. I felt the season was a little too action-y compared to past, but overall pretty solid. One thing to remember - as an homage to 80's culture and movies, there's a TON of logical gaps/issues with behavior.
    Slightly disappointed that Steve sort of went nowhere (and he did win the fight with the demagorgon in the past)

I feel like Steve did go somewhere there. He had more personal growth. He moved further down his path of understanding others and caring about them and further from his self absorbed douchey self from way back when.

His ending with Robin really sorta cemented how far he has come.

The whole Steve, Robin and Dustin dynamic was definitely my personal favorite grouping of the season.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Yes. Steve is growing as a person. Making friends and working for a living.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It's exactly what a kid would think was a good idea. Pull the covers over your head.

No the characters must perform 100% logical decisions at all times and not the decision a, say, scared kid would make.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yes. Steve is growing as a person. Making friends and working for a living.

He also endured a serious beating to protect his friends. I don't think season one Steve would do that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

No the characters must perform 100% logical decisions at all times and not the decision a, say, scared kid would make.

It wasn't just the kids and they're aren't 8 anymore, either.

It was bad writing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It wasn't just the kids and they're aren't 8 anymore, either.

It was bad writing.

I disagree.

Any kind of cover is better than being in the open.

• Options
    edited July 2019

But Nancy and Jonathan were there with them. Plus these kids play D&D all the time. If you've got a monster chasing you, barricading yourselves in a cabin is probably the best thing to do if you want your DM to cleverly kill everyone.

Plus they weren't really all that scared in that scene, they were preparing for battle.

urahonky on
  • Options

But Nancy and Jonathan were there with them. Plus these kids play D&D all the time. If you've got a monster chasing you, barricading yourselves in a cabin is probably the best thing to do if you want your DM to cleverly kill everyone.

I am not sure I would be thinking about D&D at that particular moment.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

Well, we can't all be Will Byers

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options

Their entire knowledge of what's going on is because of D&D. It's not that they have to think in terms of the game, but they've been playing it since they were younger. They've all dealt with scenarios just like this before.

• Options

Their entire knowledge of what's going on is because of D&D. It's not that they have to think in terms of the game, but they've been playing it since they were younger. They've all dealt with scenarios just like this before.

That's kind of not how your brain works when you're in panic mode, though. At least not anyone I've ever met.

• Options

That's kind of not how your brain works when you're in panic mode, though. At least not anyone I've ever met.

Were they in panic mode though? They've been through armies of demogorgans at this point lol. It was just something out of character for all of them.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Even if it makes sense for them to make a bad decision out of panic, that doesn't explain why the Mind Flayer didn't just sit on the house and crush them all.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »
    Even if it makes sense for them to make a bad decision out of panic, that doesn't explain why the Mind Flayer didn't just sit on the house and crush them all.

Because it wanted El alive and as a puppet.

• Options
    That'd make for boring TV too, haha.

• Options

Were they in panic mode though? They've been through armies of demogorgans at this point lol. It was just something out of character for all of them.

I'll admit that I'm not the best when it comes to reading others, but the screaming and sweating and twitching and freaking out suggests they may have been fearful.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Can we even say for certain it was strong enough to have done that at that point in time?

Wind can sway trees without making a sturdy house budge at the same level of force.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

I'll admit that I'm not the best when it comes to reading others, but the screaming and sweating and twitching and freaking out suggests they may have been fearful.

Alright well we'll have to agree to disagree at this point so we don't clutter up the thread anymore.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Well, we can't all be Will Byers

But we can all be Venkman. (S2 callback!)

• Options
    They barricaded themselves as an homage to all the horror etc. Movies that have that trope, just as Alexi getting a center shot and immediately dying.

• Options
    They barricaded themselves as an homage to all the horror etc. Movies that have that trope, just as Alexi getting a center shot and immediately dying.

You know what? I can accept this.

• Options

You know what? I can accept this.

Yep, I was in the middle of railing against it to my wife when I put it in context. Half the show is nostalgia callbacks, no reason for this not to be.

Another thing I realized: this season was one of cementing transitions. The kids are now teens, for real (see Wills outburst, Hopper death, girlfriends etc), the teens are now adults (jobs, end of HS social standards), the adult is now very broken. They can't go back, they have to go forward.

• Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Holy fuck I found Erica irritating last season and she's more irritating this season, I really hope they've gotten that out of their system and she isn't a central focus going forward. Oh wow, she's 10 and calling people bald bastards and keeps asking for free ice cream, isn't she hilarious?!