As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Personally, I prefer a season dump to weekly episodes. I like to watch an entire season/series before moving on to the next. I can watch one episode a night for a couple weeks or months, depending on how much I've got to catch up on, be done and move on to the next show.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dumps are very satisfying

Usually

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I don't think I have a strong preference either way but I do have one problem with weekly streaming shows: remembering they exist.

If it's one show I'm keeping up with or a show I'm really excited about sure, I'll remember it comes out on Fridays or whatever, but I have...9? streaming services and shows I'm nominally watching being released weekly on I think 6 of them, with releases on different days of the week. Back in the cable days I could always just look at my DVR saved shows and the upcoming recordings schedule and know what was available to watch and when whatever show would be available in one place. If I want to do that now I've got to make my own spreadsheet - assuming I can even figure out what day a given show is released each week other than by experiment since not every service makes it obvious.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This idea the shorter season removes bloat is demonstrably false all the time. It could, sure. But longer runs could remove as much too. More episodes means more time to tell the story (a constant problem with this sub 10 episodes shows) and have more entertainment out of it. Or not, it really just all depends on the writers if it's 8 episodes or 22. I'd like to think if writers of old pulled off longer seasons off and mostly hit the mark they could now.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think weekly episodes are better at building buzz and encouraging people to share any cultural impact, but there are examples of whole shows dropping having similar or related effects, like Squid Game. Word of mouth was about the show as a whole, not the latest episode.

I certainly prefer weekly episodes.

Buzz about Squid Game came and went so fast that I wasn't even sure if it was a series or a movie. I saw stuff about Squid Game but never so much as saw discussion of it; just a quick puff of attention, then it's old news.

In comparison, I've seen loads of discussion about Peacemaker, the Boba Fett series, and The Mandalorian. Those weekly drops are definitely how you keep people engaged and give people a reason to hang around on your service. Not to mention it avoids this absurd half-season crap that Netflix does which forces a show to either write for a long gap mid-season or have a weird, clumsy gap right in the middle of the story.

I mean, I was 100% not interested in Peacemaker and it was entirely the weekly release and discussion around the episodes that changed my mind to try it. In comparison, I have yet to bother with Squid Game because I know so little about it besides "sinister game in dystopian future" and there's no discussion of it anywhere.

Slight point of order, Squid Game’s about the dystopian now of South Korean culture in a similar vein to Parasite, if you dumped Parasite in a blender with Battle Royale and zest of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

But very much agree that the weekly model is better for letting content sit and digest, and I think encourages writers to actually make individual episodes matter more, instead of having 3 or so draggy middle things that spin the wheels in a plot cause people will just watch it all at once.

The half season split has the disadvantages of both formats while only getting some of the advantages of each.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Full drop is best for the consumer, that's what I want. I just saw an article where 2 friends from little league baseball are making a subscription bat company and I'm wondering if anybody else is paying attention. We are going to have separate subs for ketchup and mustard soon unless people push for consumer friendly companies. We can have discussions about binge shows, we just have to put in some effort.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This stuff with dropping half-seasons always annoys me because weekly drops are immensely superior. People actually get a whole week to discuss and share about the episode instead of this nonsense where you've either seen the entirety of the new material or nothing at all.

Netflix needs to just drop releasing seasons in chunks and go over to weekly episode releases as standard.

I vastly prefer mini drops or entire season drops.

Weekly drops are just extra time for people who are hate watching things to whine about them.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    This stuff with dropping half-seasons always annoys me because weekly drops are immensely superior. People actually get a whole week to discuss and share about the episode instead of this nonsense where you've either seen the entirety of the new material or nothing at all.

Netflix needs to just drop releasing seasons in chunks and go over to weekly episode releases as standard.

Weekly drops are just extra time for people who are hate watching things to whine about them.

Yeah, this is 100% not been my experience in the slightest. The people hate watching tend to drop out after a few episodes at worst, the people invested in the show hang around the whole time and get to enjoy actually processing the show when it's a weekly release. Even the people hate-watching have far less to actually say about the actual show and it's dead easy to just filter them out of whatever discussions you're interested in.

And with weekly drops, I don't have to worry about having the whole series spoiled for me within days of release. I have to wait for the end just like anybody else and a week is tons of time to catch up on a single episode so I'm not behind the curve. Conversely, folks who want a whole season dropped can literally just wait for the whole season to release if they want to watch the show that way. They lose nothing, and the weekly release approach gives people enough time to properly enjoy the show with other people and for its own sake rather than having to race to catch up to be current. You can go watch the whole first season of Peacemaker right now if that's your preference for watching, but I also got to discuss the show a bunch with other fans weekly until it finished up. The latter was a markedly improved experience over binging the whole show myself weeks down the line after all the discussion has basically died.

• Options
    If you waited to watch Peacemaker until it was all released, you lost the entire DCEU thread for 2 months. When you say they lose nothing, you haven't thought it all the way through.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If you waited to watch Peacemaker until it was all released, you lost the entire DCEU thread for 2 months. When you say they lose nothing, you haven't thought it all the way through.

And if dumped at one time, it's there for a week, maybe two, of discussion, massively reducing the time for getting to enjoy discussing it. And the thread would've put stuff in spoilers if people wanted to, so the folks wanting to binge could do it afterwards and not be spoiled.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I mean, I feel like "of value" was implied. They lose nothing [of value].
    I kid, I kid. Mostly. Giving up the DCEU thread for 2 months is not exactly a hardship, but I know some folks would find it difficult to avoid a thread they enjoy.

I don't think I would have ended up watching Peacemaker if it weren't for the continued conversation that stemmed from weekly episode releases though. I had no interest in a show about that character after The Suicide Squad, and if the conversation about how good the show turned out to be faded after a week or two as is typical for a binge release, I never would have changed my mind. I've been thinking about it lately, and I do think weekly releases are better for shows like this that capture a lot of interest. There is so much more conversation when the episodes are spread out, it's easier to participate in that conversation rather than miss it all if you can't binge a show immediately, and the quality of discussion is just better.

• Options

And if dumped at one time, it's there for a week, maybe two, of discussion, massively reducing the time for getting to enjoy discussing it. And the thread would've put stuff in spoilers if people wanted to, so the folks wanting to binge could do it afterwards and not be spoiled.

You could organize a watch group and discuss it for eternity. Both ways have winners and losers, both ways have work arounds to maximize your enjoyment. We've had these discussions about streaming multiple times, it's my opinion that it's a balanced equation with an equal amount of loss in enjoyment either way you release it. It's not balanced economically.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Yeah, this is 100% not been my experience in the slightest. The people hate watching tend to drop out after a few episodes at worst, the people invested in the show hang around the whole time and get to enjoy actually processing the show when it's a weekly release. Even the people hate-watching have far less to actually say about the actual show and it's dead easy to just filter them out of whatever discussions you're interested in.

And with weekly drops, I don't have to worry about having the whole series spoiled for me within days of release. I have to wait for the end just like anybody else and a week is tons of time to catch up on a single episode so I'm not behind the curve. Conversely, folks who want a whole season dropped can literally just wait for the whole season to release if they want to watch the show that way. They lose nothing, and the weekly release approach gives people enough time to properly enjoy the show with other people and for its own sake rather than having to race to catch up to be current. You can go watch the whole first season of Peacemaker right now if that's your preference for watching, but I also got to discuss the show a bunch with other fans weekly until it finished up. The latter was a markedly improved experience over binging the whole show myself weeks down the line after all the discussion has basically died.

The people who wait have the exact same spoiler problems you talk about though. Just waiting means avoiding a lot of the internet weeks to manage that with no guarantee of success. There is no one best solution. Both groups cannot be happy, and I kind of wish both sides would stop pretending only their way has any benefit for people.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Some people like weekly releases. Some don’t.

Weekly releases are 100% a better revenue play when you have less content though.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Part 1 of season 4 will be 7 episodes. Part 2 will be two episodes. Interesting.

Jeez, I forgot that season 4 starts a week from today.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ain't they staggering that for awards eligibility reasons? Lameo, drop it all at once ya fuckin' nerds.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ain't they staggering that for awards eligibility reasons? Lameo, drop it all at once ya fuckin' nerds.

I mean, Netflix's business model is in a questionable state since they are hemorrhaging subs and market price. I wouldn't blame them for changing things up a bit.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Their plan to put in ads has me thinking of dropping my subscription.

After Stranger Things.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I don’t think it’s for awards, I think it’s to get at least 2 months of subs out of people coming back for it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Mm, do I find that more or less pathetic than the awards thing...?

Less, I think! It's more coldly cynical and less desperate feeling. A'ight, well done Netflix.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

After Stranger Things.

If it wasn't for my four-year-old being addicted to Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig, I'd have cancelled my Netflix subscription long ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

After Stranger Things.

I thought it was just a separate ad supported tier?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    It's probably just Netflix compromising on their way to admitting that weekly releases are better than season dumps, both to keep users interested and to keep subs going. Wouldn't be surprised if they're doing weekly releases of new episodes by the end of the year.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think the only things I've actually enjoyed watching from Netflix in the past three years has been Arcane and Castlevania.

RT800 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    RT800 wrote: »
    I think the only things I've actually enjoyed watching from Netflix in the past three years has been Arcane and Castlevania.

Bojack Horseman is incredible

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

After Stranger Things.

The only reason I haven't dropped Netflix already over their shitty views and practices so far is so my kiddo has something to find decent things to watch on that's not an even worse streaming company or youtube.

If ads get put into our already paid subscription I'm 100% dropping it, though.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Bojack Horseman is incredible

As is better call Saul.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Season 4 is a go

I don't know whether it's excellent performances or I've just got more sensitive in my old age, but the bullying scenes in episode 1 make me incredibly angry

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There are some real 47 year old people playing high schooler vibes going on here to make the main cast look younger.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    This season is a trip
    So many of the plots have long passed the threshold of being farcical. Namely Joyce/Murray, but really everything involved in the 'Where's Hopper?' plot.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    There are some real 47 year old people playing high schooler vibes going on here to make the main cast look younger.

Yeah! Like just do a big time skip? Everyone's in college, Hopper has been missing for years or something.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dear Misters Duffer,

There are too many plots these days. Please eliminate three.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Yeah! Like just do a big time skip? Everyone's in college, Hopper has been missing for years or something.

This would be much cooler yeah.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    i really liked the first 7 episodes!

how many are in pt2?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

how many are in pt2?

I think just 2? But they are both movie length, so more like 4 if you go by run time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

how many are in pt2?

Two but they're stupidly long. The finale is like 2.5 hours.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Awesome! I binged through all 7 new ones, and the closer the end of episode seven I came the more I thought "wait, how are they going to resolve that in X minutes", X growing ever smaller.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hoo boy. That ending to that first episode of season 4.
    Poor DM guy. How is he going to explain that?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Hoo boy. That ending to that first episode of season 4.
    Poor DM guy. How is he going to explain that?
    Yea I've just watched the first episode and that dude is fucked. They already pretty much waved in our faces the satanic panic, and now this dude is going to have a mangled girl on his hands. Ain't no hope.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The weird part is looking up the actors ages you wouldn't even need to bounce them into college. They were all roughly high school senior age for original 5 kids. It would probably push season 5 to the end of the 80s as well which would be very fitting considering that is the final season.