As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Democracy: Presidential Edition - Vote Your Conscience!

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Wait what does passing mean?

That the state is waiting to read its votes. The reason is because they want NY to be the state that puts Trump on top (this is a routine practice. )
    And here I thought Michigan had decided it had enough of this shit and was going home.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Wait...what

Again, lining up New York to deliver the over the top votes. They aren't there yet.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Variable wrote: »
    New Jersey ain't the greatest anything. Geeeeeeet the fuck out.

I'm sure if you think about it you'll realize we're the greatest something

I dunno, Illinois and Louisiana have Jersey beat in corruption.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wait...what

Again, lining up New York to deliver the over the top votes. They aren't there yet.

No, I know they're lining up...just figured they had enough by NY roll call.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

i wish i believed this was going to be the biggest fuckup tonight.

• Options
    Did she say South Carolina was founded by blacks and whites? I admittedly tuned it out a bit.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So they'll just have to have everyone after they get close pass all in a row and then come back to New York again.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait...what

No, I know they're lining up...just figured they had enough by NY roll call.

Math didn't quite work out. They have 70something for Trump.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    It's like watching a zamboni crash at half speed.

It was already slow and bad, it just makes it slower and worse when they try to add drama.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

So, they've moved from "this wasn't plagiarism and you're a cog in the Crooked Hillary Machine if you think it is"

to

"It was totes plagiarism and isn't she great for doing it for you all?"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Yeah seriously why was Lewandowski the one reading the New Hampshire roll call? I had to do a double take on that one.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

It's like every spokesperson has a different story to tell...

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Thoughts on RNC:

So apparently my state (Colorado) decided to throw a fit and leave when the RNC wouldn't honor the signatures / roll call. Part of me wants to be pissed at the RNC for this, but then I learned what Colorado wanted to vote on.

Apparently, Colorado wants to change rules so that delegates are *not* bound to vote for who the state voted for.

Am I reading this wrong? Because to me, it seems like that would be extremely bad. Allowing delegates to vote for whoever they want just seems contrary to the point of a primary system, because then the people aren't voting, party members are voting, which is just some scary ass shit.

Or is there a nuance that I'm missing to this?

Anyway, watched the beginning of this with my Grandparents at their place. I knew they voted Red at least as recently as 2004. About 45 minutes into the speakers drilling on about Benghazi, and revealing that Melania was going to be the speaker, my Grandma swore for the first time I've ever heard her, said "Fuck this shit, fuck the Republican party." I guess they've both been extremely disenchanted by the party for about 10 years now, and my Grandpa, an avid outdoorsmen, told the NRA to get bent. Both my Grandparents are voting blue. Interesting turn of events that I didn't expect!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Thoughts on RNC:

So apparently my state (Colorado) decided to throw a fit and leave when the RNC wouldn't honor the signatures / roll call. Part of me wants to be pissed at the RNC for this, but then I learned what Colorado wanted to vote on.

Apparently, Colorado wants to change rules so that delegates are *not* bound to vote for who the state voted for.

Am I reading this wrong? Because to me, it seems like that would be extremely bad. Allowing delegates to vote for whoever they want just seems contrary to the point of a primary system, because then the people aren't voting, party members are voting, which is just some scary ass shit.

Anyway, watched the beginning of this with my Grandparents at their place. I knew they voted Red at least as recently as 2004. About 45 minutes into the speakers drilling on about Benghazi, and revealing that Melania was going to be the speaker, my Grandma swore for the first time I've ever heard her, said "Fuck this shit, fuck the Republican party." I guess they've both been extremely disenchanted by the party for about 10 years now, and my Grandpa, an avid outdoorsmen, told the NRA to get bent. Both my Grandparents are voting blue. Interesting turn of events that I didn't expect!

The nuance is FUCK TRUMP as I recall.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Well #nevertrump because at least that subtext hasn't become text proper yet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hearing "Crooked Hillary" said outloud is weird.

Also - I know it is a hype machine, but to boast that every single county will go to the Republican candidate seems quite.. a high standard.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fuck you, Oregon Republicans

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Well at least they just go straight back to New York instead of passing over and over again.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fuck you, Oregon Republicans

What'd they do this time?

And they live in a desert anyway.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Thoughts on RNC:

They wanted a roll call vote on the rules so we would have had to do this yesterday. And then the rules where the delegates had to reflect the votes of the primaries would have been adopted. Hooray.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Put New York into play? Haha.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Utah has 40 bound cruz votes and zero trump votes

does anyone else have that?

it's gonna be kinda nice when they emphasize zero trump votes

i mean fuck Cruz

but none the less

They'll presumably suspend in a minute when he goes over the top.

Also, Kansas City is in Missouri, jackass.

Kansas City is also in Kansas.

According to the mail I receive, anyways

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Did DJ Trump Jr. list Melania's name?

Edit: Whomever is running the stream, let the cheering into the feed! You need to make this feel like a big moment!

Athenor on
  • Options

Even Quinnipiac could only get it to 12 this morning.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on RNC:

The nuance is that the Republican Party is a private entity, rather than a governmental institution, even though it seems like a government institution.

So really, the party can choose to hold primary votes, caucuses, whatever, and can then choose to disregard those votes and run whoever the hell they want. They wouldn't be locking Trump out of running, they just would be deciding that he couldn't run on their name and with their funding.

Practically speaking, that would be a death sentence for both the party and Trump, but they're under no obligation other than their own rules to support the candidate that was voted for in the primaries.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    This is surreal.

• Options

So that's a real world 4 then?

• Options

So that's a real world 4 then?

You're adding in the wrong direction.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Yeah seriously why was Lewandowski the one reading the New Hampshire roll call? I had to do a double take on that one.

Because he's also some mucky-muck for NH delegates.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    To be fair Car Talk is pretty great

• Options
    Shouldn't someone move to call it at this point?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Utah has 40 bound cruz votes and zero trump votes

does anyone else have that?

it's gonna be kinda nice when they emphasize zero trump votes

i mean fuck Cruz

but none the less

They'll presumably suspend in a minute when he goes over the top.

Also, Kansas City is in Missouri, jackass.

Kansas City is also in Kansas.

According to the mail I receive, anyways

Not the one that matters.

• Options
    Puerto Rico, who voted to become the 51st state, but would never be allowed to actually join because of the people in this room...

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    In other news, a person who normally attends pub quiz (which has a single anagram question) informed me that "CON VULNERABLE NATION INTO PANIC" is an anagram of "REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION."

• Options
    Holy crap, shut up.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

That's pretty close, hopefully they invest significant time, resources, and money into getting that number closer

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't someone move to call it at this point?

And cut off all of these states from bragging about themselves and/or blaming all their problems on Democrats?

This discussion has been closed.