Options

The [Movies] Thread in Which We Don't Accidentally Spoil Movies, Goddammit

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I think it's wrong to think that "just fun stuff" doesn't need to be shot better, because that equals fun and disposable. Raiders of the Lost Ark isn't deep, it's a ride of a movie, yet it's shot more or less perfectly. The MCU has nice moments and it's generally competently shot at least, but just because it's fun doesn't mean it couldn't be better, and cinematography is one of the ways in which this is true.

Raiders is the movie my mind always goes to when I hear someone use the "it's just an action movie, it doesn't need to be great" line. It's beautifully made and while none of the characters are particularly deep they were perfect on a fundamental level. The heroes are likable and relatable, and the villains are hatable and provide a compelling foil for the protagonists, circling around each other in a way that's almost Disneylike in its simplicity.

And, of course, they action is superb, as good as the genre has to offer IMO. Many modern action flicks cost ten times the price of Raiders and still come off as a boring, anodyne mess.

I'm not even going to pretend to be an objective observer of that film, but every time I see it, it amazes me how well it just works on cylinder.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Watched Bone Tomahawk. That is one hell of an opening scene.

There are a lot great performances in the movie, but the true star is Kurt Russels mustache

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think it's wrong to think that "just fun stuff" doesn't need to be shot better, because that equals fun and disposable. Raiders of the Lost Ark isn't deep, it's a ride of a movie, yet it's shot more or less perfectly. The MCU has nice moments and it's generally competently shot at least, but just because it's fun doesn't mean it couldn't be better, and cinematography is one of the ways in which this is true.

Raiders is the movie my mind always goes to when I hear someone use the "it's just an action movie, it doesn't need to be great" line. It's beautifully made and while none of the characters are particularly deep they were perfect on a fundamental level. The heroes are likable and relatable, and the villains are hatable and provide a compelling foil for the protagonists, circling around each other in a way that's almost Disneylike in its simplicity.

And, of course, they action is superb, as good as the genre has to offer IMO. Many modern action flicks cost ten times the price of Raiders and still come off as a boring, anodyne mess.

I'm not even going to pretend to be an objective observer of that film, but every time I see it, it amazes me how well it just works on cylinder.

Back to the Future is probably my favorite example of a "fun" movie that is excellently shot and tightly written.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. In my opinion, it's an awesome movie, and better than Kingsman in every way.

... and apparently almost no one went to see it when it was in cinemas, while Kingsman will get unnecessary sequel. Of course.

Once again, i am dissapointed by humanity.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It's one of the reasons why I'm not too unhappy Whedon isn't directing these any more. I think he works well with actors, and he's got occasional ideas that are cool and work pretty well, but he's by no means a consistently good director, at least when it comes to action and VFX.

Seeing as how the director they tend to hire aren't action movie director it's not likely to change the look and style of these films of Whedon stops making them. The new guys will just focus on the interpersonal stuff and hand the rest over to the house action effects team.

I guess that's how the 2010's movie style is going to be remembered. Hundreds of movies with all their effects done by the same effects studio with no real input from the directors that leads to a real homogenous look in almost every movie.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Seeing as how the director they tend to hire aren't action movie director it's not likely to change the look and style of these films of Whedon stops making them.
    I'd say the Russos have already been an improvement in that respect. Not sure I believe Harry's point that they have so much of an influence on story and characterisation, but they're better at making the MCU style work consistently for action scenes.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Spielberg in his prime is kind of a high bar. Putting aside the MCU for a moment, is there anybody of that caliber in the entire industry right now?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'd put Alejandro Inarritu, Quentin Tarantino, Coen Bros and Alfonso Cuaron above Spielberg, in that even their weakest movies never really approach anything less than great.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Spielberg in his prime is kind of a high bar. Putting aside the MCU for a moment, is there anybody of that caliber in the entire industry right now?

The Coens
    Tarantino
    maaaaybe Chris Nolan

I mean, Spielberg isn't even as good as Spielberg anymore. He's made like 10 movies this century and zero of them were on my Top 100 list for the Kraken, and I kinda got the impression Astaereth's list was similarly bereft

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get the impression (and I may be wrong) that Nolan is very much a one trick pony. All his films look the same, it's easy to look at TDK series/Inception/Interstellar and know they're all by the same person, and it's all very dour.

I can't really think of any BIG directors anymore, like a Spielberg film used to carry weight. Some people get a lot of rope because of their past, but Spielberg has had so many uninteresting films in the interim that I just don't care about him at all anymore, much like I don't think he cares anymore.

I'd give Ridley Scott, Cameron, and Zemeckis a lot of chances because of their past successes, and I'd love to see some of their better days rub off on current films. Or Richard Donner or ...John McTiernan? The Die Hard guy?

I think the day of the director being the big part of the film are over. The marvel films do well but I couldn't tell you who directed the bulk of them. We know Whedon because of his constant promotion, and the Russos because they made the best films in the series.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    The overall visuals of the MCU are quite homogenous, even with the different little subgenres they try and fit into. Doctor Strange could be very different, depending on how much of the movie actually is crazy kaleidoscope cities and other various magic trance stuff. Could be the whole movie is one wild ride like that, or maybe it's the same visual style as the others with some great gimmick shots thrown in...

I get the impression that, even if some of the visuals are much more inventive than past Marvel films, the plot is going to seem very familiar and that will bog it down somewhat.

• Options
    Inarritu is a worse single-gimmick equine than Nolan, I'd argue

At least Nolan remembers that films are supposed to tell stories

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Atomika wrote: »

:snap::surprised:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Matthew Vaughn is the next Spielberg.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Matthew Vaughn is the next Spielberg.

It's like you've invented a whole new way to be wrong

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I'm at the top of the Layer Cake what I say goes.

• Options

I've read some criticism of Inarritu that I could subscribe to, but this doesn't ring true to me. For one thing, I'd say that Amores Perros is a very different film from Birdman, which in turn is very different from The Revenant (which, mind you, I wasn't a huge fan of). Yes, he does use certain stylistic features repeatedly, but IMO he puts them to different use, and that's no different from a huge number of other directors. In addition, all of the films I've mentioned do tell stories. I'm sure those stories can be criticised, but the films aren't storyless. I'm sure you have points to back up your criticism, Atomika, but right now I understand what you've just said about as much as I understand the average TexiKen post.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    The overall visuals of the MCU are quite homogenous, even with the different little subgenres they try and fit into. Doctor Strange could be very different, depending on how much of the movie actually is crazy kaleidoscope cities and other various magic trance stuff. Could be the whole movie is one wild ride like that, or maybe it's the same visual style as the others with some great gimmick shots thrown in...

I get the impression that, even if some of the visuals are much more inventive than past Marvel films, the plot is going to seem very familiar and that will bog it down somewhat.

I was mildly annoyed to see a thing appear in one of the posters for it.
    His Eye of Agamotto amulet appears to have the green Infinity Stone in it. Which makes me a lil' apprehensive that the plot is gonna be a fight over that. Buuut. They gotta have 2 more show up before the end anyway, and there's always the chance that Infinity Stone is just one of the items Doc Strange uses in the movie, and the plot doesn't revolve around it.

The plot otherwise seems to be a fight with Mads Mikkelsen across multiple dimensions, which has a lot of potential. I'm hoping he's a herald for a beyond comprehension nightmare demon. I just don't really want it to be a fight over the Infinity Stone, y'know? :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I mainly just want them to not waste Mads Mikkelsen. He's to cool a guy to waste.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZY5sEr31M

absolutely spot on that " '90s cool" has aged the worst out of any kind of visual style in modern times.

I don't know what's particularly 90s cool about Blade, its an action film, and it's a damn fun film overall. Plus I liked Deakin Frost. The RLM guys are pretty pretentious when they want to be. It's like when they complained that Harley Quinn suddenly has a mobile phone, ignoring the scene where she is handed a mobile phone.

It's the aesthetic they're talking about, not the nature of the film (which balances itself perfectly and is stylish and kewl and doesn't get the recognition it should for ushering in some now standard action stuff).

The trenchcoats, Oakleys, leather look, wet styled hair, chicks with pale makeup and dark lip liner often accompanied with some sort of tank top and bell bottom look all to the tune of Smack My Bitch up all the time always, it's very, very dated compared to something like the 80's or early 90's, the latter's biggest problem being the cars at the time.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    In other movie news, went and saw "Bad Moms"

I think the writing could have been a bit better, as it gave me a lot of tonal whiplash. Also, as a person without any children, some of the moments didn't resonate with me.

Otherwise an enjoyable movie, that risked a bit more and tried a bit harder than some of the other movies that came out this year, (Hello Ghostbusters and Star Trek), and for that, I'm willing to grade it on a curve and recommend it to others.

EDIT: Also, do not start running out of the theater at the end of the movie, before the credits roll there are some poignant interviews with the actresses and their moms about raising children.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I mainly just want them to not waste Mads Mikkelsen. He's to cool a guy to waste.

They've gotta have heard the criticism about villains not sticking around. Here's hoping. And with Doctor Strange at least they're keeping one around (comic thpoilerth but they're kinda basic and obvious)
    Chiwetel Ejiofor is playing Mordo in the movie, Strange's nemesis. But he appears to be a good guy who's teaching Strange the magical ropes! So they're probably developing him as a multi movie villain, at least. I can't imagine they'll have him pull a heel turn and kill him off in this one.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    If Mads isn't dead, probably exploded or disintegrated, by the end of the film, I will be very surprised.

Iron Man - villain dead
    The Incredible Hulk - villain alive
    Iron Man 2 - villain dead
    Thor - villain alive but more of a tweener
    Captain America: The First Avenger - dead/teleported away
    Marvel's The Avengers - alive
    Iron Man 3 - dead
    Thor: The Dark World - dead
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - alive but a hero
    Guardians of the Galaxy - dead
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - dead probably
    Ant-Man dead
    Captain America: Civil War - alive but its Russos so they know what they're doing
    Doctor Strange - ?

Basically the only ones alive are the Abomination, and then Loki, the super popular tweener who skews the figures by virtue of being in multiple films.

Only 4 unique villains are alive and one is an anti hero and the other is a tragic villain. The only actual villains are the forgotten Abomination and Zemo, the guy without any powers.

Although that list says more about Iron Man than anyone else. Captain America has (potentially) teleported one villain away, saved another and then defended the same one against a nutjob serial killer in robot armor, while leaving Zemo alive.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The way Marvel deals with both protagonists and villains means that their most consistent thematic lesson is that achieving your personal destiny requires an act of murder. Ultron, Red Skull, Stane/Whiplash/Killian, etc, each villain symbolically or literally is shown to embody some aspect of the hero, and this implicit critique/comparison is refuted through a violent killing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Although that list says more about Iron Man than anyone else. Captain America has (potentially) teleported one villain away, saved another and then defended the same one against a nutjob serial killer in robot armor, while leaving Zemo alive.

At some point they transitioned from having Cap gun people down to not even holding firearms. He's not used a gun in either Civil War or Winter Soldier IIRC. Meanwhile Iron Man's arsenal has been skewing more towards non lethal in the more recent movies, but he did outfit Rhodey with a wall of death...

Also, Ant-Man's villain
    might fall in the same technicality hole as Red Skull. There's a slim chance he survived, just got sucked into the microverse.

that reminds me I should make a new MCU thread. This one went quick! :O

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I think, unfortunately, you're going to be disappointed.

• Options
    X-Men Apocalypse is still great upon rewatch, but the special effects for the Quicksilver scene look really good on a smaller screen. There's only one person in that whole slo-mo bit that looks weird or stands out (the girl who he saves before he surfs the table out of the mansion).

• Options

At some point they transitioned from having Cap gun people down to not even holding firearms. He's not used a gun in either Civil War or Winter Soldier IIRC. Meanwhile Iron Man's arsenal has been skewing more towards non lethal in the more recent movies, but he did outfit Rhodey with a wall of death...

Also, Ant-Man's villain
    might fall in the same technicality hole as Red Skull. There's a slim chance he survived, just got sucked into the microverse.

Didn't he get turned inside out or something?

• Options

Also, Ant-Man's villain

Ant-Man trashed his suit, making him shrink down in pieces, probably tearing him apart. But ultimately he just disappeared in a lil blip, kinda implying he just lost all regulation and shrank down into nothing just like Ant-Man did.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I've read some criticism of Inarritu that I could subscribe to, but this doesn't ring true to me. For one thing, I'd say that Amores Perros is a very different film from Birdman, which in turn is very different from The Revenant (which, mind you, I wasn't a huge fan of). Yes, he does use certain stylistic features repeatedly, but IMO he puts them to different use, and that's no different from a huge number of other directors. In addition, all of the films I've mentioned do tell stories. I'm sure those stories can be criticised, but the films aren't storyless. I'm sure you have points to back up your criticism, Atomika, but right now I understand what you've just said about as much as I understand the average TexiKen post.

In short (because I'm at work), Inarritu's work comes across as made by someone with a great amount of self-satisfaction with his visual strengths, which in effort to put them more prominently on display results in shaggly, poorly-paced, self-important films.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

In short (because I'm at work), Inarritu's work comes across as made by someone with a great amount of self-satisfaction with his visual strengths, which in effort to put them more prominently on display results in shaggly, poorly-paced, self-important films.

The word you're looking for is pretentious.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Also, Ant-Man's villain

B16AlpnIcAEKMT2.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If Mads isn't dead, probably exploded or disintegrated, by the end of the film, I will be very surprised.

Iron Man - villain dead
    Iron Man 3 - dead
    Ant-Man dead
    Captain America: Civil War - alive but its Russos so they know what they're doing
    Doctor Strange - ?

Basically the only ones alive are the Abomination, and then Loki, the super popular tweener who skews the figures by virtue of being in multiple films.

Only 4 unique villains are alive and one is an anti hero and the other is a tragic villain. The only actual villains are the forgotten Abomination and Zemo, the guy without any powers.

In regards to Iron Man 2 while Ivan Vanko did die, they just carted off Justin Hammer to jail.

I would LOVE to see Sam Rockwell come back to reprise that role, but a lot more bitter, jaded and capable, but still able to do a jaunty little dance when he succeeds.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

The word you're looking for is pretentious.

I don't think I know that word

<_<

>_>

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Iron Man - villain dead
    Iron Man 3 - dead
    Ant-Man dead
    Doctor Strange - ?

In regards to Iron Man 2 while Ivan Vanko did die, they just carted off Justin Hammer to jail.

I would LOVE to see Sam Rockwell come back to reprise that role, but a lot more bitter, jaded and capable, but still able to do a jaunty little dance when he succeeds.

Yes

https://youtu.be/6fmV-EudZhg

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    However, ctrl+f on this article tells me FCH uses that word to describe Inarritu 3 different times

I gotta get a dictionary, I guess

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    All this talk about directors and visual styles makes me want to learn more. Are there any good resources (preferably books) on the subject?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    BTW, I just saw an encyclopedia of post-apocalyptic films at the book store. It's called "World Gone Wild: A Survivor's Guide to Post-Apocalyptic Movies" for those interested.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    BTW, I just saw an encyclopedia of post-apocalyptic films at the book store. It's called "World Gone Wild: A Survivor's Guide to Post-Apocalyptic Movies" for those interested.

Gonna get yerself some guzzoline, eh? ;)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Iron Man - villain dead
    Iron Man 3 - dead
    Ant-Man dead
    Doctor Strange - ?

If you can say only one thing good for DC films, they keep their villains around.

wVEsyIc.png