As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: A Ring of Liar

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    With Obama and now Trudeau is this the beginning of a "hottest head of government" arms race?

As an American

It's not even really a contest, right

I love you Barry, but I don't want to eat sushi off your ripped abs like I do Justin Trudeau

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Trudeau has the edge in that he hasn't been aggressively aged by eight years of being the first black president.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hottest head of government?

count my vote out until we elect a Tank Girl lookalike

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I wonder if Barack Obama is just going to go into movies

Kind of like Ronald Reagan but in reverse

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Jesus has a fucking badass role in the Islamic apocalypse. Like, badass. It is the most metal shit imaginable.

All right you gonna have to lay this one out

From memory, sorry if this is wrong in a disrespectful way but the broad strokes are correct as I learned them:

The army of the adversary will eventually drive the armies of Islam back to Dabiq, where there will be a final cataclysmic battle. The adversary will win, and almost destroy the army of Islam when at the last possible moment BWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH Jesus will appear and fucking BAM run the adversary through with his spear before leading the army of Islam to victory. Like just straight up stabs Satan with a spear and then messes up all his shit.

*I can't remember if this is the actual term, but the bad guys basically. The kafir. I think Isis believe America will play this role.
    **I'm pretty sure this is where I read about it so if it's wrong so am I: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/
    I am by no means well versed in Islam.

In the book of Revelations, I'm pretty sure Jesus does something similar but with a greatsword he draws from his own mouth

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

And McKinnon as VP?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like there are a bunch of cool debates I should go back and watch

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    I wonder if Barack Obama is just going to go into movies

Kind of like Ronald Reagan but in reverse

Maybe stand up comedy?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    If you needed more stuff about Jill Stein here you go

tbh not really sure if it's wholly legit, but there seem to be other pictures from a google search

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    the people who accuse him of being part of the gay agenda-- and directly responsible for gay marriage in the United States by failing to represent "the real America."

What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to accuse Dick Fucking Cheney as part of 'the gay agenda' and how much acid do I need to take to get there?

He has a lesbian daughter he didn't disown, I think he does some active gay rights support now.

Oh god, I forgot about this

When he was doing his talking points about the sanctity of marriage and whatnot but meanwhile his daughter was gay and he refused to say a bad word about her

I wonder how much he hated that

He didn't hate it at all. What he DID hate was when someone else tried to use that fact for political gain. In fact, it's one of the most incredible what the fucks in American Politics, as the Kerry campaign's attempt to use his daughter against him led him to use the Iraq war against John Kerry. Yes. Dick Cheney uses the Iraq war against John Kerry in this story, with a humble assist from W.

In 2000 he was pretty straight up "yeah gay marriage should be ok because obviously it should be ok, but states should do that not the federal government."

Or more specifically here was his quote in the 2000 VP debate:
    The fact of the matter is, we live in a free society and freedom means freedom for everybody. We don’t get to choose, and shouldn’t be able to choose, and say, “You get to live free, but you don’t.” And I think that means that people should be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to enter into.

It’s really no one else’s business in terms of trying to regulate or prohibit behavior in that regard. The next step then, of course, is the question you asked of whether or not there ought to be some kind of official sanction, if you will, of the relationship or if these relationships should be treated the same way a conventional marriage is. That’s a tougher problem. That’s not a slam dunk.

I think the fact of the matter, of course, is that matter is regulated by the states. I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions and that’s appropriate. I don’t think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area. I try to be open-minded about it as much as I can and tolerant of those relationships.

And like Joe [Lieberman], I also wrestle with the extent to which there ought to be legal sanction of those relationships. I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into.

Cheney took a lot of shit for that and had no problems doing so. This was sort of the start of Dick-Cheney-Secret-Liberal slander.

Then in the 2004 debate Gwen Ifill and John Edwards sort-of kind-of tried to make hay of his daughter being a lesbian in a very round about way and he responded with probably the most class you can imagine.
    Dick Cheney basically said what he said in the first spoiler and that he supports the Bush administration. Then John Edwards brings up Cheney's daughter (who he had not mentioned at all) and said It's great that they can talk about her with love and support.

And Dick Cheney responded: Thanks I appreciate that. Gwen Ifill is like, "So that's it?" And Cheney is like "Yup."

Of course, at this point Dick Cheney was more or less mailing it in. His role in the administration seems to have diminished after it was apparent that he had sent Colin Powell's credibility on a suicide mission at the UN, but I'm not going to get into that.

But in the second pres debate John Kerry brought up Mary Cheney and talked about "how she would feel" if questioned about her sexuality, and Dick Cheney basically got mad but did nothing. He said John Kerry would do anything to get elected. His wife said that was a dirty political trick. And THEN, Elizabeth Edwards said probably one of the worst things you can say.
    "It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response. I think that indicates a certain degree of shame with the respect to her daughter's sexual preferences."

Yeah. The woman who would be second lady of the United States threw down the "You don't love your daughter." card.

Dick Cheney went from mailing it in to having a very specific set of skills, calling out John Kerry on every level he could do so, but mostly by making John Kerry look insufficiently liberal for a democrat to even bother voting for. The most pressing example of that being when Bush got Kerry to say in the very last second of the second debate, that Maybe he wouldn't have invaded Iraq. Dick Cheney hammered the fuck out of that
    And that's the story of how and why one of the primary architects of the Iraq war ended up destroying a candidate by making him look like he didn't oppose the war enough.

Bush and Cheney ran in 2004 against gay marriage hard. Republicans pushed gay marriage bans and constitutional amendments across the country in an attempt to drive up turnout by conservatives. The rhetoric was despicable.

Cheney himself was quiet on the issue iirc but the campaign itself was anything but. Pointing out that he was willing to throw his daughter under the bus for re-election hardly strikes me as beyond the pale.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'm with Wyborn. There will theoretically be intelligent life orbiting one of the last red dwarves, who see into the deep infrared, whose daylight is dim red and night sky is completely devoid of anything. If they have a moon, they won't even see it because their sun is too dim. There will be no obvious evidence to them that there ever existed anything other than their world and their red sun. They will live and eventually fade with no concept of "elsewhere".

Tell me that's not metal.

That's reminds me that a while ago it hit me that there are Solar Systems in the void between galaxies, and on one of them there is life.

Life smart enough to study the cosmos, to see the galaxies, to under stand how alone they are in the universe.

That's quite a series of assumptions

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    so I've seen about 5 or 6 clinton campaign ads here in Texas at the random intervals I turned on the TV today

uh, I guess the campaign thinks Texas is actually in play. which is, like...nuts

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Even if it's not, it's close enough and she's so ahead in fundraising that she can afford to make Trump spend money in otherwise more secure states

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I never understood their fondness for Mormonism.

Like...they're not actually Mormons, so it's just weird.

Ethnic Mormons are fucking despised by Ethnic Baptists. Middle America and the Middle East have shit in common.

Mormons are my kin, Mormons are my family. If I ever go live in the Southwest or Midwest again, Mormons are there. Say the words, pay back what I get, and if my children date a Baptist either kill or rescue them from their awful awful family.

It's a different culture, and a different set of norms. It is dirty and sectarian, but the nature of political polarization makes the Mormons only rarely the villains in Baptist V Mormon culture wars. In the end, you can't forget who your family is.

• Options
    I feel like there are a bunch of cool debates I should go back and watch

I mis-remembered the kerry/bush moment because Cheney tricked me, but Kerry still got baited into a very weak response. It seemed fine at the time but it morphed into something it might not have been when Kerry dropped the "not necessarily."-- There was some degree of success to making people see that as a half hearted endorsement of going into Iraq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fXfTmv-aQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1h28m58s
    Ardol wrote: »

Bush and Cheney ran in 2004 against gay marriage hard. Republicans pushed gay marriage bans and constitutional amendments across the country in an attempt to drive up turnout by conservatives. The rhetoric was despicable.

Cheney himself was quiet on the issue iirc but the campaign itself was anything but. Pointing out that he was willing to throw his daughter under the bus for re-election hardly strikes me as beyond the pale.

Yes, attacking someone's family is beyond the pale. I'm not sure how you could come to the opposite conclusion. As far as your other points
    I remember the 2004 campaign decently, but I don't remember everything. Still, Cheney had no obligation to bring up his daughter as a campaign issue and he let it slide the first two times. I do remember that continually raising the issue and tripling down on his daughter ultimately made the election incredibly more vitriolic than it had been up to that point. The Kerry campaign purposefully opened up the administration to a renewed attack from the right-- which was the point of tripling down on Cheney's daughter.

There was some degree throughout 2004 during which they had tried to repair the damage when they pissed off conservatives by being way too moderate for them-- the administration supported a constitutional amendment to define marriage while also suggesting that states should be able to legalize civil unions (again, "secret liberal"). Conservative groups were livid, and honestly the fact that gay marriage doesn't appear to have increased turnout (I *think* GOP turnout increased the same amount in states without a gay marriage amendment as those with one)-- suggests that they were never able to sell conservatives on being against gay marriage.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

Prez-2-0.jpg

?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There's no way she's over 35?

Also is her name Prez Rikard?

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    There's no way she's over 35?

Also is her name Prez Rikard?

I actually just got around to reading all of Sandman a few days ago. That whole story was great.

• Options
    her name is Beth Ross and she is 19 years old

the series takes place in the not-too-distance future

27-prez-003.w529.h352.jpg

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/why-prez-is-the-best-comic-you-arent-reading.html

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Cool trans vaginal mesh shirt

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Trans-vaginal mesh? Didn't that end up causing a whole bunch of post-surgical complications?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different surgical mesh.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Trans-vaginal mesh? Didn't that end up causing a whole bunch of post-surgical complications?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different surgical mesh.

No you're not. There've been quite few class actions over them.

The article says that in the comic that's a band name.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    has nobody made an SE++ Olympics thread?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    has nobody made an SE++ Olympics thread?

The SE++ Olympics aren't for two more years.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    everything surrounding the olympics this year has turned me off pretty bad. like people having to swim in disease infested sewage

• Options
    With Obama and now Trudeau is this the beginning of a "hottest head of government" arms race?

As an American

It's not even really a contest, right

I love you Barry, but I don't want to eat sushi off your ripped abs like I do Justin Trudeau

No but see Barry is an experienced lover.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    everything surrounding the olympics this year has turned me off pretty bad. like people having to swim in disease infested sewage

There is almost always something shitty going on with the Olympics.

I basically boycott them by default now.
    The fact that I find them super boring and boycotting them gives me a convenient excuse to not watch or talk about them may or may not be a contributing factor.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Also yeah the Olympics have really turned me off for... honestly awhile now. Like great for the athletes I guess but I'm not gonna watch it.

Of course I also find them boring so there's that.

Gundi on
  • Options

I don't even know what to think about this

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    it's almost like Jill Stein is the real shill

• Options
    Why would they be sitting together?

Like Putin's a fucking monster but who though Jill Stein was important enough to sit opposite him?

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    The only Olympic sport I care about is curling

• Options
    I feel like she's just getting as many big names as she gain in an attempt to get media attention.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I doubt she holds any illusions of winning at this point, but demonstrating a Trumpian need for attention at any cost isn't going to help her cause in the long run, either.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    okay wait are any candidates not actually Russian agents

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I doubt she holds any illusions of winning at this point, but demonstrating a Trumpian need for attention at any cost isn't going to help her cause in the long run, either.
    No, but this is really the best chance third parties have had at relevance, and that can snowball into legitimacy and funding. Johnson in particular is doing quite well in the polls all considered.

Now is the time to strike, because you can't wait another four years and hope for two more candidates that are this unlikable.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I mean I'm not trying to be prejudicial here

we have to consider the possibility that a Russian agent may simply be the best candidate to lead our great republic

• Options
    Careful, the KGB will be screening these posts once the new administration takes over.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hey, putin, hey, heh, buddy, why don't you take a look at this opinion - fuck you putin!!!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Why would they be sitting together?

Like Putin's a fucking monster but who though Jill Stein was important enough to sit opposite him?

Vladimir Putin's country, Russia, is a fascist state. Fascism is a rising force in world affairs. Putin is gathering people who believe in Secret International Fill In The Blank Conspiracies at dinners where he charms them and ply them with drink. He is meeting with these people, these Assanges and Snowdens and etc, and he is taking them into his confidence, providing them with small secrets, for secrecy is it's own reward. This is how he runs things. This is how you get Baptists. Gossip and lies and bullshit. Were you not involved in protestant church feuding?

After World War 2, there were attempts to try to diagnose whatever the fuck happened in Germany. It created disparate bodies of lore which were immediately subverted for political propaganda and purges during the Cold War, but, "absolutism", "totalitarianism", conspiracy theorists, anti-intellectualism, racism, religious fundamentalism, belief that all of one's perceived enemies are working together, all of these are things which can assemble themselves into fascism.

I had an uncle, crazy uncle, mostly harmless, turn into a Putin worshipping nazisymp race theorist after specifically warning me about Putin and the expanding global russofascism. He was a religious nut, vaguely mystical, always wanted me to read The Key by Whitley Strieber. And he wasn't a fascist until Gay Marriage happened, and then he became a Trump Trooper. But, there was always the tendency, the weakness, inside him.

Jill Stein goes on about "Screens" and how they rot the brains of children as part of a deliberate plot by BIG PHARMA, BIG TECH, Monsanto, et all. She is a weak person, susceptible in that way, to fascism. This is the new political reality. I'm sorry.

In the end, these fuckers create their own enemies. In the end, they'll all get together and, once they get the bulk, the vast majority of that specific kind of weak person behind them, and they've alienated or converted every last normal person in their midst it'll happen.

Peak Derp is not a myth, my friends. Peak Derp is coming.

This discussion has been closed.