As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [presidential election] is decadent and depraved

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    When that 102 year old Arizona woman was born, Arizona had been a state for two years.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I see a protest sign with the state right before Delaware.
    4gVfVpT.jpg

Wow, you sure are fighting The Man, buddy.

At least he's not just using the marker to draw dicks on the seating.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh my God!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Wow.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I see a protest sign with the state right before Delaware.
    4gVfVpT.jpg

Crossing out "most" and writing in "least" rather than making a new sign is literally the least you can do.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    That was really sweet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Context for those of us with sleeping toddlers in the TV room?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    @lonelyahava your delegation brought Bernie to tears. It was wonderful!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    No Taxation without Representation woooo

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Wow.

Context?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Horus wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Is there a real time site with delegate vote count?

Don't think so, since this is basically entirely a rah rah showpiece.

Ohh, I was lead to believe that Bernie had a chance. Dam Reddit misleading me.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Delegates are bound to vote as their primaries dictated. Ergo, we've known the count since the end of the last state primary.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    You go, DC.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    That Bernie moment gave me chills.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Bernie's brother gave a speech through the Americans abroad delegation. Made Bernie cry.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    They keep jumping the gun and talking over the secretary.

• Options

Was Sanders' older brother giving the last vote for Sanders from Democrats Abroad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Wow.

Context?

Bernie's brother talking about their parents, as a part of the Democrats Abroad delegation. I didn't know he had a brother.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Yeah but I can imagine myself doing that 100%. Nerves.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Is there a real time site with delegate vote count?
    Don't think so, since this is basically entirely a rah rah showpiece.
    Ohh, I was lead to believe that Bernie had a chance. Dam Reddit misleading me.
    He did, back when we were casting primary votes.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    was John Lewis napping just there before the chair of the Georgia delegation said his name?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    was John Lewis napping just there before the chair of the Georgia delegation said his name?

Trying to catch 'em all

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just a reminder, Im not a mod but weve had people here ask to provide some context with posts because not everyone is watching the convention.

Just as a courtesy!

• Options

Bernie's brother gave a speech through the Americans abroad delegation. Made Bernie cry.

Video of Bernie tearing up:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bill and Barack speak tonight, correct?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yes I am commuting right now and am sitting on thread for news and would appreciate a bit of context since Pokemon go is fucking down again

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Yeah but I can imagine myself doing that 100%. Nerves.

I imagine it's also so loud in there that it's hard to hear when the secretary is done, too.

• Options
    edited July 2016

President speaks Wednesday. Same day as Kaine, I believe.

Couscous on
  • Options
    azwy03yuhc7y.jpg

heyyyyyy

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Just Bill I think

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Just Bill. Biden, Barack, and Kaine tomorrow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

Bill yes, Obama no. Obama is tomorrow.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mothers of the Movement is tonight

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Those Idaho hats are pretty sweet.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Video of Bernie tearing up:

A little dusty in here...

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Here's today's list.
    https://www.demconvention.com/event-categories/july-26/

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    (An old friend of Hillary and her parents vote for Hillary for Illinois)
    Hillary's mother's story is such a tragic and triumphant one, and makes this an even better story

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Spoilering this because I posted it at the end of the last thread, but for anyone who missed it please click for a message from your dear friends in Ireland.
    Hi there, Americans! I'm jumping into your election thread to pass on a quick message from your dear friends in Ireland.

It appears in the wake of your First Lady's speech (which was epic by the way) a storm of rage has been unleashed upon the internets. The main thrust of this collective teeth gnashing seems to be the following assertions:

1) The Irish built the White House
    2) The Irish were kept as slaves as well as Black slaves (some say the Irish were enslaved first)
    3) Irish slaves were treated far worse than Black slaves

As someone born, raised and currently living in Ireland who was taught Irish history in detail as part of our national school curriculum growing up and has kept on an interest in it in the years since, I would like to offer the following minor clarification on these points.

IRISH PEOPLE WERE NOT SLAVES!

EVER!

THAT IS BULLSHIT!

*cough* ...and alas, while we built many fine buildings in the US and other countries, we can't claim the White House as the fruits of our labour. It was indeed built primarily by Black labourers, some free, most not.

Now, I have no doubt that there are historical sources out there claiming that there was a slave trade in Irish slaves. I've come across a couple myself - always online, never in a library. Invariably, when these sources are examined in any detail, they turn out to be bullshit wildly inaccurate. This hasn't stopped a great many people mistakingly accepting the notion of "Irish Slaves" as historical fact. You might even, on occasion, come across a true born Irish person like myself who has read about it / heard about it and assumes it to be true.

There is a quick two second method for debunking this fact.

Ask them "What did your teacher tell you about it in school?"

Irish history is long, rich and varied and is taught to us from Primary School (I think you call it Middle School?) onwards. We don't shy away from any shitty things that have happened to us, and a more than a few shitty things have happened to us (not naming any Great Famines and not looking at any British people who have wandered into the thread) but I can promise you that you will NEVER find an Irish history textbook with a single chapter on Irish Slavery. Except possibly in Texas. But that's not our problem. Irish people weren't slaves.

We WERE slavers, however. I'm not just talking about the Irish emigrants who bought plantations and owned black slaves in the US, I'm talking early Irish history. Fun fact! Slavery is how we got our national Saint, our beloved Saint Patrick himself. He wasn't actually Irish. He was a Breton who was kidnapped by pirates and sold to an Irish farmer as a slave. You can read more about his whacky adventures as a slave in 5th century Ireland at your local library. He wrote quite a detailed account of it himself.

I'm bringing all this up because the collective wailing on Twitter has given birth to an #IrishLivesMatter hashtag.

No. I'm not kidding.

So, as an Irish person, my message is this: If you truly believe that Irish lives matter, please do not elect a man who is quite clearly stupid enough to nuke Ireland because he's mixed us up with Iran.

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to pass this post along to any racist idiots mistaken souls you may encounter online.

Getting way off topic, but...
    There's actually one facinating way in which the Irish occaisionally did end up as slaves, and that's through the Barbary Slave trade. For example, the village of Baltimore in North Ireland was attacked in 1631, with over 100 settlers captured. The Barbary pirates made the mistake of attacking American ships - while America initially agreed to pay ransom for the taken men (the US paid out 10% of its budget in tribute to the Barbary pirates for over a decade), it led to the creation of the American navy, followed by the First Barbary War.

On an interesting note, one of the ships that America sent to the First Barbary War was the Enterprise - it won a battle against a 14-gun ship from Tripoli. The Constitution also fought in that war. The First Barbary War marked the first time that the American flag was raised in victory on foreign soil. The Barbary Coast pirates and slavers were bad dudes, who literally enslaved millions of people over the centuries. And it was basically America that put an end to them - though it took a second Barbary War to make it happen.

And of course, those Irish slaves would have ended up building the White House.

Seriously though, the First Barbary War is such a fascinating conflict that involved a young, scrappy and hungry nation kicking ass, it had evil pirate slavers, it had famous ships, exotic locations, Thomas Jefferson being played by a white guy, all sorts of crazy things like that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Its rhyme time from Indiana

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    I liked Indiana's poem there.

for context, the big punchline was "Pence, you're fired"

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    This guy likes rhyming.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.