As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Wait what does Netflix have to do with it? I thought this was going to be the seller for CBS's own streaming service nobody wants? Did I miss something?

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Wait what does Netflix have to do with it? I thought this was going to be the seller for CBS's own streaming service nobody wants? Did I miss something?

Its in the video. Netflix has international (non-us) rights to the show and are basically bankrolling the entire show.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    ultimately i want disney to buy trek, probably could get it for half a billion easy. Muppets, Marvel star wars please own muh soul disney!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    ultimately i want disney to buy trek, probably could get it for half a billion easy. Muppets, Marvel star wars please own muh soul disney!

Oh god, if Disney buys Star Trek we just might get that crossover film we've all been waiting for. Disney proved with Rogue One that they are totally on board with making awesome fanservice films.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    The Muppets vs. Star Trek vs. Star Wars meets MCU?
    :confused:

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Sure, but they're retelling A Christmas Carol. And this time it's in spaaaace.

see317 on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Pigs In Space: The Motion Picture.

Yeah, ok, I'm in.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Why do I feel like all that will happen is Netflix and those with product licenses will pull the plug, and CBS will attempt to make some money back via advertising by airing a heavily edited version of the pilot plus whatever other footage may fit into a two hour movie of the week?

I mean, Trek tried action packed and sexy with Enterprise. It didn't work. And, really, the Kelvin universe movies are basically just a few notches above the Transformers franchise. Sure, they make money, but it's not a style that fits with TV.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well the writing on Enterprise was just godawful for the great majority of it, so that certainly didn't help them out.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    And the funny thing is that Ron Moore predicted like 90% of the problems Enterprise was going to have and how they could have avoided them.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Oh god, if Disney buys Star Trek we just might get that crossover film we've all been waiting for. Disney proved with Rogue One that they are totally on board with making awesome fanservice films.

What's the scenario here? Iron Man and Star Lord join the Enterprise to blow up Death Star 3.04.0? Or Thor helps the Millennium Falcon do the Kessel Run in 11 parsecs to stop Loki from helping the Borg invade Fraggle Rock?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

What's the scenario here? Iron Man and Star Lord join the Enterprise to blow up Death Star 3.04.0? Or Thor helps the Millennium Falcon do the Kessel Run in 11 parsecs to stop Loki from helping the Borg invade Fraggle Rock?

Two words: assimilated Ultron.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Sure, but they're retelling A Christmas Carol. But this time it's in spaaaace.

A Life Day Carol!
    Senator Palpatine is visited by three Force Ghosts, Young Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Supreme Leader Snoke.
    He eventually decides that ruling the galaxy for 20 years is totally worth it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeo3ISj8DaQ

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So I was watching SFDebris's new video about Spock, and I had a realization: Star Trek really likes the outcast paragon character archetype. By this I don't mean someone who's really awesome but exiled from their people (e.g. Drizzt), but someone who's sort of an outcast from the culture of their birth despite embodying its greatest virtues. Spock, Worf, Odo, even 7 of 9 in a meta sense, with Voyager not really gelling until she showed up (of course you could make the argument it still didn't work after, but there was something of an improvement).

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's an interesting character perspective, but it became too formulaic. Every show had to have their "spock/data". I think Odo was pretty different. Seven annoyed me because it was just such a blatant "we need a data!" move.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    also a "we need two big breasts in a skintight catsuit!" move.

Though to be fair, it is a shame we never got to see a scene with 7 and Data

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Yeah, it's an interesting character perspective, but it became too formulaic. Every show had to have their "spock/data". I think Odo was pretty different. Seven annoyed me because it was just such a blatant "we need a data!" move.

I dislike the motivation but I'm still glad it happened because they (accidentally?) hired a fantastic actress for the role, who went on to smash it right out of the park. Like, I shudder to think what, say, Jolene Blalock would have done with the part….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I dislike the motivation but I'm still glad it happened because they (accidentally?) hired a fantastic actress for the role, who went on to smash it right out of the park. Like, I shudder to think what, say, Jolene Blalock would have done with the part….

I thought Blalock was an excellent T'Pol. Supposedly she's a huge Trek fan and displeased by how the series turned out.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Since we're speaking of Chuck, I always liked his take on Worf and his relationship with the Klingon ideals; that most Klingons have "external" honour, the code of honour that their society has agreed upon and generally follows to avoid being ostracized, among other things. Meanwhile Worf, who never had to deal with that society until adulthood, has "internal" honour. He's so thoroughly embraced and internalised what the ideals are supposed to be that he follows them for his own sake alone. And that being said, the influence of Starfleet means he hasn't just carbon copied the Klingon ideals, he's forged his own beliefs as well, and this has empowered him to stand up for stuff even when his internal honour conflicts with what the external honour has agreed. I think in terms of "outcast beating the culture at their own game", Worf is probably the winner on that front, even if you think the other characters are overall better.

And yes, Seven turned out to be a pretty good character in spite of the motives behind her creation.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

I thought Blalock was an excellent T'Pol. Supposedly she's a huge Trek fan and displeased by how the series turned out.

She seemed to get "emotionless detachment" confused with "seething contempt" for quite a lot of the first season. But then that seems to be how all the Vulcans rolled in Enterprise so maybe she was doing better than I thought?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Since we're speaking of Chuck, I always liked his take on Worf and his relationship with the Klingon ideals; that most Klingons have "external" honour, the code of honour that their society has agreed upon and generally follows to avoid being ostracized, among other things. Meanwhile Worf, who never had to deal with that society until adulthood, has "internal" honour. He's so thoroughly embraced and internalised what the ideals are supposed to be that he follows them for his own sake alone. And that being said, the influence of Starfleet means he hasn't just carbon copied the Klingon ideals, he's forged his own beliefs as well, and this has empowered him to stand up for stuff even when his internal honour conflicts with what the external honour has agreed. I think in terms of "outcast beating the culture at their own game", Worf is probably the winner on that front, even if you think the other characters are overall better.

And yes, Seven turned out to be a pretty good character in spite of the motives behind her creation.

Worf is just the standard thing where parts of a culture that end up broken off or isolated from their source become much more concerned with purity and preservation then the place that culture comes from and end up basing their ideas of what constitutes that culture on a bunch of stereotypes and things seen from a distance.

Other Klingons are just trying to be themselves and get on with their normal lives. Worf is desperately obsessively concerned with being the Ur-Klingon and molds himself around the stereotypical view of what that means.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Other Klingons are just trying to be themselves and get on with their normal lives. Worf is desperately obsessively concerned with being the Ur-Klingon and molds himself around the stereotypical view of what that means.

And often much to his detriment. It was always striking to see his interactions with other Klingons since they weren't so concerned with honor and weren't the humorless wall he always seemed to be. His inability to move beyond Klingon dogma (on a Federation starship no less..) basically got K'Ehleyr murdered and orphaned a son who he would never connect with. Over and over his sense of honor got in the way of just getting shit done, and often ended up with him getting used because the minute you started quoting Kahless, you could pretty much get him to do whatever you wanted.

There's certainly something to be said for standing up for what you believe in, even when it would be extremely convenient not to, but I was always annoyed that the writers couldn't ever let him out of that box.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

She seemed to get "emotionless detachment" confused with "seething contempt" for quite a lot of the first season. But then that seems to be how all the Vulcans rolled in Enterprise so maybe she was doing better than I thought?

Yea I actually think that that's what she was going for. Vulcans in Enterprise were very different than the ones from later on, on purpose.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Enterprise was trying way too hard to make the Vulcans the bad guys by having them act like condescending jerks seething with contempt. But it kept backfiring since the humans were written to be so dumb that they inadvertently proved the Vulcans right about how the Enterprise and Starfleet weren't ready to explore the galaxy on their own.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    The Human/Vulcan/Andorian love triangle was one of the best things about Enterprise. It honked me off a bit that it took so long for Andorians, a founding species of the Federation, to be fleshed out after being almost completely ingnored over all of the various series except for one episode of TOS. Same with Tellarites, even though they just had a few token appearances in Enterprise.

I get why it is that way because hey, a couple of prosthetic pointy ears are probably a hell of a lot cheaper than the makeup required for an Andorian/Tellarite.

But it made just perfect sense. Even in TOS, The Federation had been around...150? years so that's plenty of time for integration of the cultures and a long time of living and working together side by side. But yeah, in the Enterprise era, all that shit is new and you've got bigotry towards aliens and smug, douchebag vulcans and relations are obviously going to be rocky or just outright hostile and the idea of Vulcans and Andorians being enemies just worked out so well.

It's just so ironic that this came from Berman and Braga when many people credit them with ruining Star Trek

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The thing that bugged me about the Andorians in Enterprise was that they were made to be the Vulcans' opposite.

Vulcans are logical and patient, whereas Andorians are impulsive and emotional.
    Vulcans are largely scholarly, scientific types whereas Andorians are militaristic.
    Vulcans come from a desert planet whereas Andorians come from an ice planet.

They were, largely, not-Vulcans. And while Jeffrey Combs chewed the shit out of the scenery as Shran, I couldn't help but feel that the race was portrayed in a really lazy way.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Um. All of that has been at least soft canon/fanon for a long time. A LOOOOONG time.

(I think it also worth noting that from what we've seen, every 'major' species in Trek had a period in their past where they came very close to utterly destroying themselves before getting their stuff together.)

• Options
    Yeah, but B&B didn't even give a crap about actual canon.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Also, the Andorians calling humans pinkskins. No, it wasn't just Shran needling Archer.

• Options
    Um. All of that has been at least soft canon/fanon for a long time. A LOOOOONG time.

That doesn't make it good.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

(I think it also worth noting that from what we've seen, every 'major' species in Trek had a period in their past where they came very close to utterly destroying themselves before getting their stuff together.)

i'd be real curious what this was for the Q.

for the Klingons, seems like it was last Thursday.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

for the Klingons, seems like it was last every Thursday.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Q live in an existential hell and are completely dead on the inside so it's debatable whether they really have their shit together.

Now that I think about it, the Q are basically what humanity will become once we have nothing left to explore and are now burning ants with a magnifying glass for fleeting amusement and a temporary break from the boredom of existence. They are our end state.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    There is that fan theory that the Q actually are humanity billions of years into the future and they're trying to change their past so they don't end up in the Continuum.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

for the Klingons, seems like it was last Thursday.

They had the Eugenics thing in Enterprise, cold war with the Federation in TOS, Praxis in Star Trek 6, assorted leadership issues throughout the entirety of TNG and DS9...

If all this is happening after they got their shit together enough (as a race) to found an interplanetary empire, I'd love to see how fucking nuts they were before that.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The Q live in an existential hell and are completely dead on the inside so it's debatable whether they really have their shit together.

Now that I think about it, the Q are basically what humanity will become once we have nothing left to explore and are now burning ants with a magnifying glass for fleeting amusement and a temporary break from the boredom of existence. They are our end state.

An entire race of Kefkas?

I would have taken this over that Confederate-sympathizing Civil War crap any day.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

An entire race of Kefkas?

I would have taken this over that Confederate-sympathizing Civil War crap any day.

Wasn't that all from Voyager? I'll just pretend it never happened.
    Between the Borg and Q, Voyager crapped on everything it touched.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.