As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Steven's Universe, We All Just Live in It

• Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Time travel only makes things worse until you Learn Your Lesson

So clearly it was useless to Homeworld

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    dumb question that's probably thinking too hard about something that happens in a one-off

if homeworld has access to time travel, which steven and the stevens would suggest that they do, then how the heck did they ever lose

you're asking how did they ever lose if they had access to time travel

you're asking us, how, did people who use time travel, ever mess up bad enough to fail

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    dumb question that's probably thinking too hard about something that happens in a one-off

if homeworld has access to time travel, which steven and the stevens would suggest that they do, then how the heck did they ever lose

you're asking how did they ever lose if they had access to time travel

you're asking us, how, did people who use time travel, ever mess up bad enough to fail

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm not sure which of you -Tals is further along in your timeline, but whichever is, don't forget that they have Sapphires. Having gems that can see the timeline would probably make exploiting time travel much safer.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Kharnor wrote: »
    Time travel only makes things worse until you Learn Your Lesson

So clearly it was useless to Homeworld

time travel inevitably ends like this

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They think time travel is useless because Sapphires only see one result of time, so changing the past is either impossible or unnecessary. Garnet sees possibilities, but that's because of Ruby's influence.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Sapphires can see possibilities as well, but the gem empire is just so organized that for the most part there's only one reasonably possible future to see.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm not sure which of you -Tals is further along in your timeline, but whichever is, don't forget that they have Sapphires. Having gems that can see the timeline would probably make exploiting time travel much safer.

Oh no that only makes it more clear how dangerous it is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Remember that Sapphires are very rare, according to Garnet.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Remember that Sapphires are very rare, according to Garnet.
    Yeah, but they have them, and time manipulation would be a pretty good use of them.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    They think time travel is useless because Sapphires only see one result of time, so changing the past is either impossible or unnecessary. Garnet sees possibilities, but that's because of Ruby's influence.

Nah. Sapphire said she had foreseen the possibility of playing baseball but didn't think it likely.

• Options
    Well, our Sapphire has had centuries as Garnet to rethink things.

Another example is in The Heist, where she says that the plan isn't going to work, but they should try to change the future anyway.

• Options

Another example is in The Heist, where she says that the plan isn't going to work, but they should try to change the future anyway.

Well yeah they beat impossible odds. Cause they're great.

It's entirely possible Ruby has an influence on Sapphire's abilities when they're fused but I don't recall there ever being a point when they've said so.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

It's entirely possible Ruby has an influence on Sapphire's abilities when they're fused but I don't recall there ever being a point when they've said so.

Not explicit, but There's a definite contrast in how Garnet explains future vision and how Sapphire explains it.

• Options

Not explicit, but There's a definite contrast in how Garnet explains future vision and how Sapphire explains it.

How so? I recall both using absolutes and possiblities.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Since I've been talking about time dilation a lot is it possible that being A galaxy spanning empire sort of mutes the ability? Maybe they do use it. Maybe it was on earth to ship the battle towards home world when the crystal gems started to get the upper hand but it became Lost before it could be effectively used. Maybe was used for a while and sapphires innate ability's or garnets expansion of those abilities allowed the crystal gems to fight it?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Keystone Motel would be the most straightforward example. Sapphire is openly fatalistic (and passive in the face of fatalism) in a way that Garnet rarely is. Garnet thinks more in terms of actively navigating between possibilities, with the future as a puzzle to be solved.

If Garnet shares Sapphire's fatalist predilections she at minimum hides it most of the time to be polite.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

Keystone Motel would be the most straightforward example. Sapphire is openly fatalistic (and passive in the face of fatalism) in a way that Garnet rarely is. Garnet thinks more in terms of actively navigating between possibilities, with the future as a puzzle to be solved.

If Garnet shares Sapphire's fatalist predilections she at minimum hides it most of the time to be polite.

She wasn't wrong about the most likely outcome either though. Her biggest error was mostly just being indifferent to Ruby's feelings about it.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I was thinking about Keystone Motel, and contrasting with... Future Vision, I think it was?

Specifically her "I have the map, and I steer the ship" metaphor.

Enlong on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I love the idea that your vision (or idea) of the future changes how you see it. So Sapphire sees one guaranteed future (The Answer) but Sapphire+Ruby=Garnet who sees multiple possible futures (Future Vision). And now that Sapphire has grown over the years, she still sees one future, but knows that the future has not been written and that there is no fate but what we make for ourselves. Which is cool because it ties into the whole Homeworld VS Crystal Gems ideas, a regimented life vs a free one.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Man I wished I could have binge-watched all the episodes for this special when it was available because the cliff hangers and the waiting between days is agony and I want to click all the spoilers.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Time travel is inherently fragile. Say you hit the reset enough to win the war. Everything now resides in the power of hourglass. All it takes is someone to steal it, return to a specific point, and destroy the hourglass. Poof, everything after this moment is gone and moot and the war is back on after sifting thru so much sand.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I assume the hourglass wasn't used because the Diamonds were, as far as they were concerned, perfect and didn't make mistakes that needed correcting. And they obviously wouldn't let the other gems use one because who else but a person with "perfect" judgement would know when to use it. Never mind the occasional opposition outlier I'm sure they were aware of that would be willing to work their way to such power.

Still makes sense for them to develop it for just in case and maybe even the FTL travel possibilities.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I think a lot of little things in the first half of season 1 weren't made with the show's long-term story in mind.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options

It might have been a one-off object, and the whole building apparatus it's trapped in might have been created by the Gems as a vault to hold it. And of course they forgot exactly what it looked like once the war was over.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    If the diamonds used time travel, wouldn't they have copies who'd then presumably have to fight for dominance?

And aside from diamonds, who else would they ever trust with such monumental power?

• Options

Sapphire is more passive than Ruby. The former is more likely to just accept the timeline as it is, leaving it as mostly a straight line. Ruby is more active, however, so as Garnet they more often act on their future knowledge, complicating the timeline, splitting it into rivers and eddies and etc of possibility.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    blue diamond sounds like a dark souls npc.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    blue diamond sounds like a dark souls npc.

That was my immediate thought as well.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Geez, I thought the Choosening was going to go in a completely different direction.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Geez, I thought the Choosening was going to go in a completely different direction.

Death?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah. As a kid, I read... you know, I was going to name the book, but naming it in this context would spoil its story.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yeah. As a kid, I read... you know, I was going to name the book, but naming it in this context would spoil its story.

I'm 80% sure everyone know that The Hunger Games is about pitting kids against each other to the death, by now.

• Options
    Nah, different book.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nah, different book.

Everybody Poops

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Nah, different book.

Everybody Poops

Shhh...don't ruin it for me

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Nah, different book.

Everybody Poops

Shhh...don't ruin it for me

I'm waiting for the Broadway version, myself.

• Options
    Ah screw it. The book is old.

It was The Giver.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I assumed it was The Giver. But the Giver's only kind of superficially like what's in that episode.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    whew, what a bomb.

by the way, we wont have to wait forever for the next steven episodes.

as set of four of them are coming out on a weekly basis starting on Feb 10 with "The New Crystal Gems"

Get hype

latest?cb=20150416023019

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
This discussion has been closed.