As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Home and How to Handle My Mother's Smoking

witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
We are buying our first home (yay!) and moving to the same state as my mother (yay!) - she will be just over an hour away. The challenge is that my husband and I don't want our home to smell like cigarette smoke and don't want smoking anywhere on the property. My mother has been smoking for 40 plus years and has no desire to stop, even though she has received a lot of encouragement to do so over the years (even having kids with pretty severe asthma - me included). She typically smokes outside, but because she smokes so much, she smells like and carries a lot of smoke around her (it's become more intense over the years than the aura that surrounds other smokers - think Pig Pen). When she stayed with us recently, our house smelled like smoke for 3 days after she left. Our new place is a bit into the woods and there are no sidewalks to walk along, so she can't really even go for a walk while she smokes, not to mention having her blow her smoke on our neighbors' property isnt ideal. My husband, who worked on lung cancer drugs for years, is pretty adamant that even going down to the road and smoking at the edge of the property isn't acceptable. We are okay with her smoking e-cigarettes outside. She has one and says it isn't good enough and doesn't hit the spot. What can we do to make her - and not her smoking welcome? Does anyone have any suggestions for e-cigarettes that might "hit the spot" better?

witch_ie on

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Is there a reason that going to the edge of the property isn't acceptable?
    I generally make any smokers that stay at my house go outside.

• Options
    She will carry the smoke back inside with her and also, since we are in a forest, my husband is worried about fire. While I think that is at best a remote possibility since she is careful, it doesn't change his stance on it. I really wish she had quit smoking when I first asked her to do so when I was 3. I don't have any hope of her doing so now since she doesn't want to.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    No smoking inside is more than reasonable, but no smoking on the property outside, and being concerned about smoke blowing towards you neighbors house(which being a wooded area I assume is more than like 10 feet away), is getting into phobic territory.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    No smoking inside is more than reasonable, but no smoking on the property outside, and being concerned about smoke blowing towards you neighbors house(which being a wooded area I assume is more than like 10 feet away), is getting into phobic territory.

While this is true, it is also your property and your rules. If you want to tell your mom "don't smoke at my place unless you vape, and then only outside" you can certainly do so and it is not unreasonable.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular

This.

If I understood it right, her smoking outside and then your house smelling like cigarettes for 3 days after she left, you and your husband must have extremely sensitive olfactory receptors.
    witch_ie wrote: »
    I really wish she had quit smoking when I first asked her to do so when I was 3. I don't have any hope of her doing so now since she doesn't want to.

You are right, you cannot get someone to quit smoking unless they want to. My mother was a smoker for 35 years and quit 2 years ago because she wanted to. She got outside help though, just one session of bioresonance therapy did the trick.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Enc wrote: »

While this is true, it is also your property and your rules. If you want to tell your mom "don't smoke at my place unless you vape, and then only outside" you can certainly do so and it is not unreasonable.

Eh. At a certain point you are saying "You must endure physical and psychological pain if you want to visit us" and engaging in the ultimatum game. Combined with the travel time she would likely be spending more time traveling than visiting with your average smokers addiction if she must literally leave to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not saying this is wrong, bad or whatever. I'm saying be realistic about the effect of the restrictions you're imposing. You don't get to do this and then complain she never visits. You're choosing a completely smoke free home over your mother visiting. She is also choosing to not break an addiction over being able to visit your home. This absolutely cuts both ways and is the out come of any relationship that devolves into ultimatums.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It is completely fine to ask someone not to smoke in your home. Don't feel that you have to negotiate, or relent.

You cannot force someone to stop smoking, and trying will not end well, depending on the person.

Worrying about smoke entering a neighbours property is a bit silly. It's also a discussion that won't end well, depending on the person.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    While finding a vaping product that she likes is a possibility, some smokers just enjoy the actual smoke too much. If I were in your situation, I'd just set up a nice little smoking area for her somewhere near the edge of the property and try to get used to the smell that comes with her. Trying to tolerate our parents' bad habits tends to make life easier in the long run.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    If it is nice out when she visits try to limit the amount of time you are all inside. Have drinks/food on the patio, go for walks, etc. That way your house won't smell as bad after she leaves.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Certain cigarettes will carry their smell around on the person in general. Don't let her smoke in the house, make her go outside. Spray with an air freshener when she leaves to help get rid of the smell. Your neighbors aren't going to be close enough to smell her cigarettes though, unless she's right outside their windows.

Heavy smokers of stuff like newports will absolutely make your house stink of cigarette smoke for a day or so. Also, I know this from experience, but don't let her wash her clothes in your washer either, for some reason that sticks around and gets on your clothes for a few days too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the constructive comments everyone. I'm wondering if she switched her cigarettes, if it would reduce the smell - I don't remember it being as bad as it is until she switched to rolling her own. She says she uses pipe tobacco. Does anyone have any experience with pipe tobacco cigarettes being more potent?

witch_ie on
  • Options
    Thanks for the constructive comments everyone. I'm wondering if she switched her cigarettes, if it would reduce the smell - I don't remember it being as bad as it is until she switched to rolling her own. She says she uses pipe tobacco. Does anyone have any experience with pipe tobacco cigarettes being more potent?

Yes, it's the worst.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options

Ah, now we know why :) Yeah those definitely do smell more. Hope you find a way to convince her to go back to her old ones or maybe find a more potent vape. I wouldn't waste any time arguing with her about quiting though.

Good luck!

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Eh. At a certain point you are saying "You must endure physical and psychological pain if you want to visit us" and engaging in the ultimatum game. Combined with the travel time she would likely be spending more time traveling than visiting with your average smokers addiction if she must literally leave to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not saying this is wrong, bad or whatever. I'm saying be realistic about the effect of the restrictions you're imposing. You don't get to do this and then complain she never visits. You're choosing a completely smoke free home over your mother visiting. She is also choosing to not break an addiction over being able to visit your home. This absolutely cuts both ways and is the out come of any relationship that devolves into ultimatums.

I agree with the "don't complain if she doesn't visit" piece but the bolded part feels an awful lot like emotional blackmail to justify a disgusting habit. She doesn't have a right to smoke or the moral highground to demand it simply because she made the poor decisions to use tobacco products over her life. Yes there are a range of reasons people smoke and, once started, it is incredibly difficult to quit. But people can control it and do so.

My stepfather and sister are both chain smokers and both have resolved to never smoke in places where my sister's son can see them or smell them. My sister only smokes when out on the job and stepfather only smokes at specific times in specific places each day because of this. It is an adjustment, but one the smoker should make not everyone else around them.

• Options
    Regarding less smelly alternatives, quality filter cigarettes would be a huge improvement over pipe tobacco. Some brands have special smell-reducing filters, like Marlboro Gold Touch (although it might be a bit mild for your mother if she's used to rolling her own from pipe tobacco).

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I agree with the "don't complain if she doesn't visit" piece but the bolded part feels an awful lot like emotional blackmail to justify a disgusting habit. She doesn't have a right to smoke or the moral highground to demand it simply because she made the poor decisions to use tobacco products over her life. Yes there are a range of reasons people smoke and, once started, it is incredibly difficult to quit. But people can control it and do so.

My stepfather and sister are both chain smokers and both have resolved to never smoke in places where my sister's son can see them or smell them. My sister only smokes when out on the job and stepfather only smokes at specific times in specific places each day because of this. It is an adjustment, but one the smoker should make not everyone else around them.

It's also important to highlight that visiting your children doesn't give you the right to impose your will on them. If they tell you not to smoke, you don't smoke. If this causes you physical or psychological pain, perhaps don't visit them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Agreed. I smoke and it is on me to not make it a burden on everyone else

The mother here can adhere to the OP's rules.

I would recommend setting up a chair and a butt can somewhere out of the way for her, if so inclined.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have a buddy whose dad is like this. If he takes a nap on your couch, it will smell for days.

We never came up with any good solutions other than febreze.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

Do remember that the sentence is talking about the OP where she expressed concern about her mother smoking anywhere on their property or while walking down her street. I find it a tough argument to make that the mother is being the controlling one there.

With the later details there certainly seems like there is room for compromise on both sides here. (Unfiltered hand rolls with pipe tobacco? UGH.) My point wasn't to argue for one side or the other in excluding someone for their habits but rather to be aware that is what they're doing. We all choose our lines.

• Options
    Thanks again - it's good to know that it's her new choice of cigarette that is exacerbating the problem. She started rolling her own to save money, so I don't know that she's particularly keen on that kind of tobacco. And while I do appreciate pointing out the impact of the situation on her and am sensitive to it, which is why I created this thread, it's not because I just don't like her habit that this is a concern - I have to use my rescue inhaler four times as much when I'm around her, even when she's not actively smoking.

• Options
    Again, you make your own choices but I would say "literally makes it so I can't breathe" is a pretty solid basis for a tightly drawn line. I would hope that she would understand an explanation that included that as a reason.

Regardless, best of luck and I hope you figure out someway to work this out.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Depending on the temperature, either a very light, or semi heavy coat, with a flannel-ish fabric might help.

Just she can only wear it when outside smoking, and it hangs up outside before coming in. It could help at least be a shield to absorbing the smoke that attaches to her upon re-entering the house.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I have to use my rescue inhaler four times as much when I'm around her, even when she's not actively smoking.

I wish you had mentioned this in the OP. It would be ideal if she did not smoke at all when she visits but as that's most likely not going to happen, she should stick to the vape at least when she is on your property. She can go back to rolling tobacco at her own house.

• Options
    Depending on the temperature, either a very light, or semi heavy coat, with a flannel-ish fabric might help.

Just she can only wear it when outside smoking, and it hangs up outside before coming in. It could help at least be a shield to absorbing the smoke that attaches to her upon re-entering the house.

And suddenly I understood why the smoking jacket was invented.

Seconding this suggestion!

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My dad started rolling his own, even was growing the tobacco plants but the gov't seem to have caught wise and begin taxing it more.

He's since switched to a vaporizer and likes it. Buys different fluids and has a fairly small 'rig', not much bigger than an ecig.

MichaelLC on