As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two opportunities. Need methods for making up my mind.

PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
I've recently had 2 career opportunities offered to me. One expires soon.

It boils down to

1) safe, very well paid in an industry I know. But unfulfilling and dull. Its a company i know well and i Could probably carve out a career in department management eventually.

2) new venture into new industy using similar skills, well paid (but £8k less then above). Work that genuinely has me both curious and excited. Requires lots of learning (a plus for me), a very large company (£billions) owns it but it itself is quite small.

I'm really struggling to choose a path. Anyone had to make potential career changing choices? How did you end up choosing?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would take (2) without super compelling external reasons to take the safe option, like immediate plans to make a bunch of babies.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Simple answer:

1) Safe Job
    2) Cool Job

Geth roll 1d2 for decision.
    How did that make you feel? Relieved? Then trust the Geth. Disappointed? Then clearly Geth was pointing out you know the answer you want.

decision:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    The main thing I ask myself when making a decision like this is which decision would I end up regretting most - then chose the opposite. It's really a simple way to make difficult decisions - no pros or cons, no analysis paralysis. After thinking about it for a little bit and the potential consequences of a choice, I typically know pretty quickly which choice is the right one.

The career changing choice that highlighted this approach to me was the decision to drop out of graduate school and follow a completely different path. It was scary, but it felt really good and I ended up in a much better place. I ended up going to a different graduate program in a different field elsewhere and have been very happy in my career. Years later, I have no regrets about the decision.

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Option 2 was taken, feels right so I'm happy with my choice.
    witch_ie wrote: »
    The main thing I ask myself when making a decision like this is which decision would I end up regretting most - then chose the opposite

This was good advice and helped me make up my mind. Thanks!

Prime on