[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

1457910101

Posts

  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I am also very happy with my Corsair AF120's, though I SHOULD have bought AF140's. Just get the biggest fans your case will support, more air for less noise.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    emp123Aretèchrishallett83
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    AF120s, duly noted. Thanks!

    pasig.jpg
    Steam | PSN||ninjafrizz| BNET SaucySensei#1721
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Using a SATA2 cable from before SATA3 was a thing shouldnt impact speeds when connecting a SATA3 drive to a SATA3 port? I'm pretty sure the SATA revisions have been at the controller level and not the ribbon level, but honestly I'd rather double check.

    camo_sig2.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Not really a huge difference, but there is a bit of difference in them just like there's a difference between cat5, cat5e, and cat6.

    A good quality SATA3Gb/s cable should be able to handle 6GB/s no problem.

    Cheapo cables obviously will still be cheap.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    emp123
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Welp, heres hoping Asus included decent cables 8 years ago.

    camo_sig2.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    AF140s have like a 66cfm airflow right

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    AF140s have like a 66cfm airflow right

    Technically there are slight differences in AF140 models, but when you're looking at the gap between [email protected] and [email protected] the difference is the definition of "academic".

    What's more important is this: what bitchin' LED colors are you going with? This is the most important decision in any build.

    SmokeStacks on
    gRAhjXV.gif
    Zxerol
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Cat6 is a pain to terminate. Outdoor cat6 doubly so. Running through the middle of every cat6 cable is a small nylon cord and a plastic "t" to separate each of the twisted pairs with a double outer layer on the outdoor variety. God forbid they would bundle the pairs in b standard. No, you have to cut the cord and plastic t back and wrestle the right pairs together. If you didn't cut the t far enough back you won't get the strands to line up right. At work we use these nifty 2 piece rj45 connectors that have a fantastic wire guide. I've gotten pretty good at lining the strands up just right to wiggle them in place since doing this massive wiring job for one of my clients.

    camo_sig.png
    jdarksun
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Cat6 is a pain to terminate. Outdoor cat6 doubly so. Running through the middle of every cat6 cable is a small nylon cord and a plastic "t" to separate each of the twisted pairs with a double outer layer on the outdoor variety. God forbid they would bundle the pairs in b standard. No, you have to cut the cord and plastic t back and wrestle the right pairs together. If you didn't cut the t far enough back you won't get the strands to line up right. At work we use these nifty 2 piece rj45 connectors that have a fantastic wire guide. I've gotten pretty good at lining the strands up just right to wiggle them in place since doing this massive wiring job for one of my clients.

    Ugh, god, I wish I had those when I was wiring my house for internet. Cat6 is a total pain in the ass. Its nice to not have to worry about wireless signals though.

    camo_sig2.png
    jdarksun
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    making patch cables with solid core outdoor cat6 is madness

    always terminate to jacks on solid runs that aren't going to be moved

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the best is the cables that not only have all that, are also lined internally with whatever that grease is that helps insulate. After terminating a few of those it felt like I had been playing in lard.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    on the plus side it has the faintest hint of bacon fat

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    making patch cables with solid core outdoor cat6 is madness

    always terminate to jacks on solid runs that aren't going to be moved

    It was for the outdoor point to point wireless system. Had a dozen of them to link up all the buildings.

    camo_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    making patch cables with solid core outdoor cat6 is madness

    always terminate to jacks on solid runs that aren't going to be moved

    It was for the outdoor point to point wireless system. Had a dozen of them to link up all the buildings.

    not using wireless bridges instead?

    Were they daisy-chained or something?

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a 1080. I already have a 980ti but have the budget and just enough boredom to do it.

    I need help.

  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a 1080. I already have a 980ti but have the budget and just enough boredom to do it.

    I need help.

    Don't buy the 1080, it's not that big of an upgrade.

    Wait for the inevitable 1080ti and THEN upgrade.

    Seriously though, are there any games you're playing that you aren't maxing out on graphics?

    Elvenshaechasmschussjdarksun
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a 1080. I already have a 980ti but have the budget and just enough boredom to do it.

    I need help.

    do it

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    So now we know who the good / evil angels in this thread are...

    :hydra:

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Someone talk me out of buying a 1080. I already have a 980ti but have the budget and just enough boredom to do it.

    I need help.

    Don't buy the 1080, it's not that big of an upgrade.

    Wait for the inevitable 1080ti and THEN upgrade.

    Seriously though, are there any games you're playing that you aren't maxing out on graphics?

    This sounds just responsibly irresponsible enough to be the right course of action.

  • ZxerolZxerol bat tail beaver /w a measuring tape Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Why 1080 tho when the Titan X is right there.

    Zxerol on
    jdarksun
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Instead of buying a 1080, I really looked at it and realized that there's really not anything out that I can't play at 60+ FPS with everything cranked to Ultra at 1440p. But I did pickup an MSI Ghost GS60 with that Prime Day Amazon Warehouse coupon for $915. Pretty awesome to have a portable machine that can maintain 60FPS on Medium at 1080p in GTA V.

    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The only justification I can see for more than the 1070 is to do 4k gaming at maxed 60Hz, and since not even the Titan can quite do that, why bother.

    Also note I don't play games that see benefits from >60FPS like cs go.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only justification I can see for more than the 1070 is to do 4k gaming at maxed 60Hz, and since not even the Titan can quite do that, why bother.

    Also note I don't play games that see benefits from >60FPS like cs go.
    144hz monitor though.

  • ZxerolZxerol bat tail beaver /w a measuring tape Registered User regular
    High refresh is pretty sweet even if you're not requiring the most extreme twitch latency. A recent, specific example is Doom, where the camera motion blur looks fantastic at higher framerates but is an overbearing smear at 60, IMO.

    Actually camera rotations in general are the most noticeable improvements at high refresh. They look super chunky to me now at 60hz.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Even with my GTX 1080 I still have a few titles that fall well short of 60 FPS (especially CPU-dependent games) at 4K, but frankly it's appreciated to be at 40 FPS than 20 FPS or lower.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a 1080. I already have a 980ti but have the budget and just enough boredom to do it.

    I need help.

    buy the 1080. Then give me your 980Ti, I'll pay the shipping!, for giving you such good advice.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    So I had some downtime and I popped this little vid in:




    So, aside from the fact there's some Thunderbolt magic involved, would it be possible to build some sort of Mini-ITX solution that could interface with a laptop and do similar things? I looked up the prices for the Stealth + Core recently (like, a month ago maybe), and I want to say the Core itself was on the order of $600 *before adding a vidcard*.

  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So I had some downtime and I popped this little vid in:




    So, aside from the fact there's some Thunderbolt magic involved, would it be possible to build some sort of Mini-ITX solution that could interface with a laptop and do similar things? I looked up the prices for the Stealth + Core recently (like, a month ago maybe), and I want to say the Core itself was on the order of $600 *before adding a vidcard*.

    The "Thunderbolt magic" is what makes the whole thing work, period. It is literally some PCI-e lanes going over the cable, and the box on the other ends splits it up.

    You would be talking about, like, a KVM switch? But that wouldn't be automatic.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it's probably USB-C which is basically the whole reason USB-C is being purported as next gen technology.

    You can have mostly dumb terminals, then carry devices like that to increase graphics and give you storage and all that. Or a laptop that is a laptop and when you get home, you dock it and it becomes a gaming desktop with full GPU power.

    I'm hoping USB-C takes off like mad.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    jdarksun
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    people have been making there own external gpus using pcie cards for years now. So you can totally do it yourself for less than $600, or there are other companies selling boxes that do it as well.

    like for example here's one for $200: https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-AMZ-T2PC-TIA-AKTU-Thunder2-PCIe/dp/B00LTAUTHE and then add a pcie riser and psu.

    or if you google around you can find a few different pc diy forums where they go over the options.

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, intel was really smart to make thunderbolt 3 a USB-C connector. It will take a few years but USB-C is going to really change how we compute.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    making patch cables with solid core outdoor cat6 is madness

    always terminate to jacks on solid runs that aren't going to be moved

    It was for the outdoor point to point wireless system. Had a dozen of them to link up all the buildings.

    not using wireless bridges instead?

    Were they daisy-chained or something?

    Ok, bad choice of words. To be more spesific, we linked all the buildings at the campus with these nifty Ubiquity Nanobeam bridges. I started with a hub and spoke sort of layout to link the central building to several buildings within line of sight. The problem was, not all the buildings were line of sight. 2 were blocked by hilly terrain. We had to relay the Nanobeams through switches to get all the buildings linked up. The system is incredible, though. Those Nanobeams are rated for 10+km as long as there's line of sight. All the buildings were within 500m of each other so I didn't even need to bust out the alignment tool. In fact, I have them broadcasting at half power and I'm still seeing a solid ~-60dbm with all the summer foliage grown in. We ran outdoor cable to each of them. Getting through both the outer layers and not cutting into the twisted pairs in tough. On one I had literally one more try left before we'd have to rerun the cable.

    camo_sig.png
    bowen
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea, intel was really smart to make thunderbolt 3 a USB-C connector. It will take a few years but USB-C is going to really change how we compute.

    Excellent. Now I know when to replace my motherboard.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only justification I can see for more than the 1070 is to do 4k gaming at maxed 60Hz, and since not even the Titan can quite do that, why bother.

    Also note I don't play games that see benefits from >60FPS like cs go.

    All games see visual benefit from greater than 60 FPS if you have the refresh rate to actually display it.

    jdarksunElvenshae
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only justification I can see for more than the 1070 is to do 4k gaming at maxed 60Hz, and since not even the Titan can quite do that, why bother.

    Also note I don't play games that see benefits from >60FPS like cs go.

    All games see visual benefit from greater than 60 FPS if you have the refresh rate to actually display it.

    Yeah okay but 1) I doubt my capacity to discern between 60 and 144 FPS and 2) I don't think Civ 5 will be notably improved by the difference even if I could see it.

    Synthesis
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah okay but 1) I doubt my capacity to discern between 60 and 144 FPS and 2) I don't think Civ 5 will be notably improved by the difference even if I could see it.

    1) So did I until I got my ROG Swift. Just trust me. I think the move from 60hz to 144hz is actually better for overall enjoyment of visuals than the move from 1080p to 1440p.

    2) Agree on that much.

    What I want to stress though is that the difference is very noticeable.

    Even moving my mouse around on my two side 1080p (60hz) monitors feels janky and jerky on the Windows desktop compared to my primary 144hz monitor.

    Dhalphir on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Can the 980980ti do 1080 @ 144hz?

    Casually Hardcore on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah okay but 1) I doubt my capacity to discern between 60 and 144 FPS and 2) I don't think Civ 5 will be notably improved by the difference even if I could see it.

    1) So did I until I got my ROG Swift. Just trust me. I think the move from 60hz to 144hz is actually better for overall enjoyment of visuals than the move from 1080p to 1440p.

    2) Agree on that much.

    What I want to stress though is that the difference is very noticeable.

    Even moving my mouse around on my two side 1080p (60hz) monitors feels janky and jerky on the Windows desktop compared to my primary 144hz monitor.

    I will have to get back to you after this weekend. I haven't had a chance to really test my new monitor yet, other than "yep this makes Fallout 4 look a lot better" which could also be the G Sync or the 1440p, too many changes over my old monitor to know which ones are making the difference. My money is still on

    1440p>gsync>>higher FPS

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah okay but 1) I doubt my capacity to discern between 60 and 144 FPS and 2) I don't think Civ 5 will be notably improved by the difference even if I could see it.

    1) So did I until I got my ROG Swift. Just trust me. I think the move from 60hz to 144hz is actually better for overall enjoyment of visuals than the move from 1080p to 1440p.

    2) Agree on that much.

    What I want to stress though is that the difference is very noticeable.

    Even moving my mouse around on my two side 1080p (60hz) monitors feels janky and jerky on the Windows desktop compared to my primary 144hz monitor.

    I will have to get back to you after this weekend. I haven't had a chance to really test my new monitor yet, other than "yep this makes Fallout 4 look a lot better" which could also be the G Sync or the 1440p, too many changes over my old monitor to know which ones are making the difference. My money is still on

    1440p>gsync>>higher FPS

    Cost is also a factor there. G-sync is great, but it can also be the single most expensive element in the equation--G-sync can literally double the price of an above-average monitor.

    Going 4K was, kind of ironically, a lot cheaper than G-Sync in my case.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    my current plan is to try to ride out my 7870 and 1980x1200 monitor until the cost of a GPU and monitor that can do 4k acceptably is less than a rent/mortgage payment. That's the jump I want to do.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.