As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Any Critiques on this build?
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FJCbxY

open to critiques

Go for 2 x 8gb RAM. While 8GB is sufficient, we're not far off it not being, and 16GB isn't that expensive.

What GPU is going into it?

Haven't researched, and therefore not decided. Will buy a few months later to allow for budget.

Shelf life, gaming, multiple gigs vram critical

GTX1070 meets your requirements.

If you can't swing that much, the GTX1060 6GB (the vram amount is very important) is a reasonable substitute.

6600k work well with that?

Be easier just to go for a 7600k, but if there's a price difference they aren't too far apart.

Newegg has them at the same price, weird.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Component manufacturers are pretty good at controlling supply as they get close to new releases so that they don't have to drop the price on old chips.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Did the 1080 Tis sell out unbelievably fast or did they just make like twelve or what happened

The benchmarks came out and then I went to buy one because it's looking like that's the last GPU I'll need until my 4670K gives up the ghost and literally no one has a single one in stock

halp

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Did the 1080 Tis sell out unbelievably fast or did they just make like twelve or what happened

The benchmarks came out and then I went to buy one because it's looking like that's the last GPU I'll need until my 4670K gives up the ghost and literally no one has a single one in stock

halp

The exact same thing happened with the 1080. Everyone always laps them up. Give it a couple weeks.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

halp

The exact same thing happened with the 1080. Everyone always laps them up. Give it a couple weeks.

BUT MUH ANDROMEDA SETTINGS

honestly though the smart money is probably on waiting until the vendor specific ones come out, like the EVGA ones with upgrading cooling. so this is for the best.

• Options
    Yes, I'm still not sure if I want a 1080Ti, but if I do, it won't be a Founder's.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah i dont even have mine yet and im wishing that i waited to get one with better cooling. Oh well!

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any laptop recommendations? My girlfriend needs a new one, and wants to spend between 300-800€. She's not really a gamer, but she said if she can also play some games with it that might not be the worst thing. (<3)

I've been looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 series, but I figure you guys probably have some personal preferences you wouldn't mind sharing?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    1) 8GB of RAM is not ideal for editing, I would go with at least 16GB. If the budget can't manage it, then I would suggest buying 1 x 8 GB RAM instead of 2 x 4GB. The Hyper 212 Evo, on my motherboards, blocks one of the RAM slots when installed, and prevents access. Having 1 x 8 GB stick will enable him to upgrade to 16GB at a later date without having to take out the cooler to install it. Single channel vs dual channel RAM is not a huge difference.

This is not a terrible idea if you intend to upgrade soon; the usual reason not to do something like that, though, is that after a (sometimes fairly short) time it can be hard to buy the matched RAM stick to do the upgrade (as you may have to go looking for an out-of-stock re-sale stick as opposed to whatever's new & cheapest)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yes, I'm still not sure if I want a 1080Ti, but if I do, it won't be a Founder's.

I'm waiting for third-party hardware, too. Mainly to see the prices before making my final decision.

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    The i7 is not a waste of money for gaming. Established wisdom around that is very outdated. So if you would benefit from it for video editing, it will still provide an extra benefit for gaming over the i5.

The system as a whole looks great. Two points to make.

1) 8GB of RAM is not ideal for editing, I would go with at least 16GB. If the budget can't manage it, then I would suggest buying 1 x 8 GB RAM instead of 2 x 4GB. The Hyper 212 Evo, on my motherboards, blocks one of the RAM slots when installed, and prevents access. Having 1 x 8 GB stick will enable him to upgrade to 16GB at a later date without having to take out the cooler to install it. Single channel vs dual channel RAM is not a huge difference.

2) The system's power balance skews very heavily towards the CPU overall, which is good in a way, because in a couple of years time he can drop in a new graphics card for $300 and the machine will continue being beastly for another 2-3 years.

Your reasoning behind the CPU is exactly what I was thinking as well, might as well spend money to get a solid CPU for a great system now, then go a little cheaper (but still good) on some of the other components that can be upgraded in the future. Thanks for the advice, especially on the RAM. I was definitely thinking about the Hyper 212 size relative to the case, but I wasn't thinking about it blocking components on the motherboard. I do think I'll either go single channel, or maybe see if we can scrounge together a few more dollars and just upgrade to 16 GB dual channel now.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Woo my 1080 Ti is showing as out for delivery today! Luckily I got a Zotac branded card so they are just as forgiving as EVGA with their warranty. I can slap on the Watercool Heatkiller IV waterblock that I bought for it. That should be in on Thursday, so I will only have to live with the FE cooler for a couple of days!

I'm pretty excited here!

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey guys. Going to be building a thing and not sure how to feel/how much to care about certain components?
    Budget is around 1000 for everything in case. I also want to get 2 new monitors later down the road (which no idea what I'm doing there either).

I currently have a Dell XPS something. It has i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz, 8 Gigs of Ram. I don't think its worthwhile upgrading as current plan is to move that to be the kids computer. I could pull the optical drive to save some money or not use one at all.
    I'd rather not liquid cool. I'm sure I could do it, but overall don't think I'd care.
    Computer is mostly used for some lighter gaming, but would like to do fun stuff on newest titles.

I'd really like your input. I've kind of thrown together a thing, but would scale down or up as needed: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qGVcyf

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey guys. Going to be building a thing and not sure how to feel/how much to care about certain components?
    Budget is around 1000 for everything in case. I also want to get 2 new monitors later down the road (which no idea what I'm doing there either).

I currently have a Dell XPS something. It has i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz, 8 Gigs of Ram. I don't think its worthwhile upgrading as current plan is to move that to be the kids computer. I could pull the optical drive to save some money or not use one at all.
    I'd rather not liquid cool. I'm sure I could do it, but overall don't think I'd care.
    Computer is mostly used for some lighter gaming, but would like to do fun stuff on newest titles.

I'd really like your input. I've kind of thrown together a thing, but would scale down or up as needed: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qGVcyf

If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell you the case I wound up not using at a reasonable price.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

@Radiation
    Go with a z270 motherboard if you can, the z170 chipset is designed for the 6X00 series. It'll still work but it won't have some of the same features and the cost difference won't be much.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

halp

They sold out in about 20 minutes. This is pretty normal for a new high end video card release. There is always limited supply to begin with (the chips have to bin incredibly high to make it in to a 1080 Ti, so a lot of the wafer ends up being recycled because the chips aren't good enough). Combined with the fact that people who buy only top end cards want the new card RIGHT NOW and you get a very fast sell out effect.

Aftermarket boards will be out next month, and those will sell out very fast as well in their first run. If you want one I'd do some Googling to find out when your manufacturer of choice plans to drop their aftermarket board and get one ASAP when they hit stores.

We'll see what I end up doing with my FE. Factory overlocks are never so huge as to justify replacing my FE with an aftermarket board, but the better coolers are nice. I may just stick with my FE until I feel like it's falling behind and then stick an aftermarket cooler on it and OC it to tide me over until the 1180 Ti (or whatever the Volta Ti ends up being called) hits the market.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Any big difference on motherboards and what am I looking for?
    Also Graphics card recommendations? Really okay with last gen stuff.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Mmm something just showed up at my door step, but my pup was protecting it and didn't want me to open it up :D

thrjcg5z6d0f.jpg
    t6x7cpvrlq4i.jpg

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    grrr jelly, want that card

even though I'm still on 1080p

which is fixed simply by also getting a higher res screen

clearly these are wise fiscal choices

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Mine will be here tomorrow. It's sitting in Troutdale and they could have delivered it today, but Fedex isn't about to give you 2-day delivery at the 3-day price, so in Troutedale it sits until tomorrow :|

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

I'm sure you could use a dog, too!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Mine will be here tomorrow. It's sitting in Troutdale and they could have delivered it today, but Fedex isn't about to give you 2-day delivery at the 3-day price, so in Troutedale it sits until tomorrow :|

Why provide excellent customer service when they can sit on their hands and say, "well, you should have payed a little more if you wanted it THAT fast."

Also, Troutdale sounds like a made up town. I like it.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Why provide excellent customer service when they can sit on their hands and say, "well, you should have payed a little more if you wanted it THAT fast."

It's across the pond from Fishberg.

• Options

It's across the pond from Fishberg.

In the Hudson Valley, there's a town named Fishkill, being a reminder of the region's history as a Dutch colony (the 'kill' part comes from the Dutch word for stream.) At one point, PETA got it into their heads that this was horrific and that the name should be changed to - I am not making this up - "Fishsaved".

Yes, the locals were amazed at the sheer goosery of the argument.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    There is a town in canada called Dildo

• Options
    PETA sucks anyway.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Alright, new list with changes.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BMmxPs
    Videocard price seems crazy to me, though I usually buy them like out of value bin or something.

Would appreciate more critiques/advice.
    I should point out that this will be a purchase about 2 months from now or so. If there are sales on I can watch for dips in prices and stuff.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Videocard price seems crazy to me, though I usually buy them like out of value bin or something.

That's about what a 1070 goes for, though I've been eying this EVGA card myself. If you're willing to compromise, then you can go to a 1060 and save some money, but the card will become obsolete faster.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

... actually yeah, this is something I've legit thought of doing too

amazon isn't doing 2-day shipping on puppers yet though

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

... I think I'd prefer same-day if I was going the Amazon route for a doggo.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Obligatory

217531322_9SYYN-2100x20000.jpg

217531714_jZNVe-2100x20000.jpg

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

... I think I'd prefer same-day if I was going the Amazon route for a doggo.

hey woah I ain't Warren Buffet here

I ain't made of dollaroos mang

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So, is there any way to discern which 1070 card is good? I'm asking because currently, recommended 1070 cards are only 50 eurodollars off from one of the cheaper 1080s, which...hmmmm.

Planning on building a rig in about two weeks, things are getting real!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Do you mean manufacturers or something else?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    EVGA is pretty popular around here because of their warranty and customer service, but it really comes down to which card has the best mix of looks, factory overclock, and price. Realistically, they're all going to perform within a few percent of one another regardless of overclock.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Do you mean manufacturers or something else?
    manufacturers, yeah. I...would there be other differences?
    Cormac wrote: »
    EVGA is pretty popular around here because of their warranty and customer service, but it really comes down to which card has the best mix of looks, factory overclock, and price. Realistically, they're all going to perform within a few percent of one another regardless of overclock.

That's what I'm thinking. There are a few manufacturers that I personally have not heard of before, but then again, I only really check this stuff out when I build something new / upgrade, so...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

I should point out that this will be a purchase about 2 months from now or so. If there are sales on I can watch for dips in prices and stuff.

This is very similar to the PC build I am currently running, and I am very happy with it. The CPU cooler is fine but if you want more than a mild overclock you may wish to buy something a little more robust.

What resolution/framerate are you looking for? The 1070 will handle 1440p at 60fps and max settings, or 1080p @ 144fps.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

This is very similar to the PC build I am currently running, and I am very happy with it. The CPU cooler is fine but if you want more than a mild overclock you may wish to buy something a little more robust.

What resolution/framerate are you looking for? The 1070 will handle 1440p at 60fps and max settings, or 1080p @ 144fps.

Not real sure on that area. I have two old ass monitors now, and the plan is to get dual monitors that are worth a damn down the road (like 6 months from now). Because I'm not doing bleeding edge gaming I don't really know whats going on in that realm. I was mulling over dropping to a 1060 6GB to get the build a bit cheaper as it is a bit more expensive than I'd like. No big deal as either I purchase it 3 months from now or purchase things in smaller chunks. Also having to buy Windows.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Are Palit or Zotac branded graphics cards good or bad?

Google says they're alright but I trust you lot much more

This discussion has been closed.