As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mistburn

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Mistburn

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    Back to Sanderson bashing huh? I guess it's especially funny considering how bad the DnD books are.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Sanderson is excruciatingly bad at:
    -witticisms
    -funny dialogue
    and decent-to-mediocre when it comes to:
    -natural dialogue
    -building unpredictable, non-stereotypical characters.

Apart from that, there is nothing that should be that agonizing. He obviously thinks far ahead, values moral ambiguity and good-versus-evil dynamics equally and knows how to inject pathos and ethos into the struggles and motivations of the main characters. There are many memorable moments and unexpected turns.

Absalon on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like to both read Sanderson and bash Sanderson

both are fun activities

in contrast I haven't read a Raistlin book since high school... not sure I could take it now

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This here is a strip full of fighting words. WTF is wrong with Mistborn...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    I believe this is what my reaction would have been if I saw Mike Krahulik at his booth.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    i-mSjPtVz-XL.jpg

How could he have not bought that masterpiece? I would buy that thing and put it in my guest bathroom.

• Options
    kyptankyptan Registered User new member
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with Sanderson?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sanderson: At least he's not Goodkind

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    There is nothing wrong with Sanderson. PA "bashing" him is due to - I suspect - his overzealous fans (possibly among the PA staff) constantly recommending his books to Mike/Jerry. The Sanderson strips lean more towards trolling his fans than saying the books themselves are bad.

• Options
    SazankSazank Registered User new member
    The last comic that bashed Sanderson is actually what got me into reading his books. I now own quite a lot of them. So even if I don't like seeing Mistborn or Sanderson insulted, I can't really be too upset.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with Sanderson. PA "bashing" him is due to - I suspect - his overzealous fans (possibly among the PA staff) constantly recommending his books to Mike/Jerry. The Sanderson strips lean more towards trolling his fans than saying the books themselves are bad.

I know in the podcast they mentioned that Jamie is a huge Sanderfanderson.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    i-mSjPtVz-XL.jpg

How could he have not bought that masterpiece? I would buy that thing and put it in my guest bathroom.

Seems more like the perfect piece to put in one's guest bedroom, imo.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    i-mSjPtVz-XL.jpg

Seems more like the perfect piece to put in one's guest bedroom, imo.

No way. Right across from the toilet. In a bedroom, you can at least turn and face the other walls.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'm sticking through the second Mistborn series out of... loyalty? I guess? The first three were interesting. The second three were natural logical extensions of the world he'd built, but the actual plot hindered my enjoyment. Now, having finished 4, 5, and 6 with Wax, there's supposed to be one more that will finish it all up, and I'll read it just to cross it off my list more than out of actual anticipation for where the story goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Don't know about Mistborn, but his Stormlight Archive books are awesome. Really enjoying them so far.

• Options
    megnanimousmegnanimous Registered User regular
    I may possibly have done the ol' sink-below-the-table-and-slither-away routine with Mike and Jerry once upon a time at a book signing. It's strangely hard to use real life words to speak to the real life versions of people you've been virtually following for years!

• Options
    knochnkopfknochnkopf Registered User new member
    Man, here I was stoked thinking maybe there was another Raistlin story in the works!

• Options
    BRASKYthatSOBBRASKYthatSOB Master (of Physics) AlaskaRegistered User regular
    In my opinion Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is by far his best stuff, though I've enjoyed everything of his that I've read to varying degrees. I thought the first Mistborn was pretty great, and that the second and third books were good but not to the same level. Haven't tackled the second trilogy yet but I've heard good things.

• Options
    Jaymer 161Jaymer 161 Registered User new member
    I made an account just to finally say this. I love Dragonlance so much. I've been reading them for years, ups and downs, and want to one day own every book (except those kids ones.)

So all this Dragonlance love has been making me proud and smiley.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My father once described Sanderson as a toddler showing off his toys, like how they just keep handing them to you or something. I could kind of see where he was coming from, but I really like the Stormlight Archives so far.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Huh, Atlas Reactor actually sounds kind of interesting. I was getting e-mails about it while I was playing ArcheAge a while back, but I had it written off as an Overwatch clone. Surprising to read it's actually a completely different kind of game.

• Options
    Tanner AndersTanner Anders Registered User new member
    I'd never read any Sanderson until his work on concluding the Wheel of Time. Before I even began reading them, I knew that he must be a good writer, because RJ wouldn't pick a bad author to finish his epic.

That said, I recently read all of the Mistborn books (except Secret History, since the ebooks were pulled from all sellers, pending its addition to the Tor collection), and I'm now on the first book of the Stormlight Archives, and I'm really liking his stuff. He has created a very interesting universe in the Cosmere.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Huh, Atlas Reactor actually sounds kind of interesting. I was getting e-mails about it while I was playing ArcheAge a while back, but I had it written off as an Overwatch clone. Surprising to read it's actually a completely different kind of game.

Cool idea, but only controlling one unit is a huge bummer personally.

Not enough decisions to make and way too much downtime between turns.

• Options
    Off KilterOff Kilter Registered User new member
    Stormlight Archive is awesome just for how ridiculous it gets. Words of Radiance is practically DBZ

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Margaret is a friend of mine. She's a really sweet person who owns awesome dogs. If you're ever at a Gencon or con or something and want to say hi you shouldn't be afraid of going up and saying hello. She's a wonderful person and appreciates when people tell her how much her work has meant to them.

ziddersroofurry on