As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trails/Kiseki] - Trails through Daybreak, July 5, PS4/5, Switch and PC

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Still no news on 4 coming out in the west tho right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You can play the Geofront version of Zero with the EVO version added full voice overs, soundtrack, and movies. But you have to get the files yourself. Because they're extracted form the Vita remake version of the game.
    Evolution additions go in:
    /data/talk/ - Voices (at9)
    /data/bgm_evo/ - BGM (ogg)
    /data/movie_evo/ - OP/ED (h264 encoding is fine)

So this release is really the best of all worlds.

Hope this effort is done to the 2nd game. It's playable and has a serviceable translation, but doesn't have this amount of love.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    You can play the Geofront version of Zero with the EVO version added full voice overs, soundtrack, and movies. But you have to get the files yourself. Because they're extracted form the Vita remake version of the game.

Hope this effort is done to the 2nd game. It's playable and has a serviceable translation, but doesn't have this amount of love.

Does that lose the speedup ability they added, though?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Does that lose the speedup ability they added, though?

No. The voice lines just play at normal speed. And a new line load will cut off the old one if you're going through dialog fast.

But yeah, with the EVO files mostly all of the main game is voiced.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Trails 3 is out today on PC, available on Steam, GOG, Humble, and a few other places. Any word on how the port is? I've been holding out for the Switch version but I thought it was coming the same day for some reason and now I am disappoint.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Trails 3 is out today on PC, available on Steam, GOG, Humble, and a few other places. Any word on how the port is? I've been holding out for the Switch version but I thought it was coming the same day for some reason and now I am disappoint.

It's pretty much 100% true to the ps4 version. Bugs/typos and all.

It's a bit prettier.

It's fine. The bugs and things aren't gameplay breaking, and the typos are mostly item descriptions that are minor annoyances.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct, Cold Steel 3 hits Switch on June 30

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct, Cold Steel 3 hits Switch on June 30

I missed that entirely! Back to waiting!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    ToCS 4 has been announced for NA PS4 release in "Fall 2020", with Switch/PC release to follow sometime later in 2021.

Minor ToCS3 spoilers in that announcement trailer.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Fall 2020is earlier than expected, Nice!

Now i wish they would tell us if there are plans for zero/ao or if I should bite the bullet and buy japanese versions and use the fan translation.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    YAY! ToCS3 left off on such a cliffhanger, and with no clear announcement for ToCS4, its still bugging me. I'm glad we've got a confirmation.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Woo finally! I've been hoping for a release this year. Should give me enough time to play the Crossbell games too if I can figure out where to buy the second one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Currently working my way slowly through Trails 3 and not encountered anything gamebreaking so far. Only annoyance was the same thing I had with 1 and 2: you want to save and leave the game, but you enter a cutscene and even in turbo and skip mode you have to wait for several minutes before the scene has ended and you get control back to save and quit.

Story/game impressions for Cold Steel 3 so far (I'm at level 10 now, no grinding, which is at the end of the 2nd dungeon). Spoilers to that point:
    - Happy with the smaller classes/less students. Trails series tend to have very big casts and introducing a whole new year of students and some teachers, I'm happy they kept the number of characters relatively limited especially as a lot of former characters keep showing up.
    - I feel like I'm earning a lot less Sepith than in previous games? By now in previous games I had enough to at least unlock an extra slot for multiple characters.
    - I spend way too much time looking how to import my save from CS2 (hint: you can't, because CS3 was made for a different platform) instead of looking online like a normal person.
    - Story is pretty much by the numbers so far, but we're so early in the game that I can't really judge yet.
    - For a completely different town and university, it feels as the same town in previous games.
    - New card game looks a lot more complex than in the previous games.

Random thoughts:
    - Professor Schmidt is such a dick. And Rean is a doormat and just smiles and does whatever he asks. Estelle wouldn't put up with this.

- Do you want to spend your day with this student who has been making a lot of thinly veiled sexual comments towards you, one of the teachers? Nah, I'll spend my time with the people actually in my class who need some help with their studies and avoid the incoming lawsuit.

- So this school is the trashcan with unwanted students? Not buying it with the likes of Tita running around here and the missions you want to send them on.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    - Professor Schmidt is such a dick. And Rean is a doormat and just smiles and does whatever he asks. Estelle wouldn't put up with this.
    The Trails series has been gearshifting into hard anime for a while now, doormat protagonist sounds pretty par for the course.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    O boy if you think those comments are thinly veiled so far, strap yourself in - at least the other students start calling her out on it

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    The Trails series has been gearshifting into hard anime for a while now, doormat protagonist sounds pretty par for the course.

At least Rean being a doormat is considered an actual character trait that he should be working on...

Muse is awful, full stop, imo.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Currently up till halfway through the first field mission (or near the end, I have no idea how long this mission is going to last. To be exact, I'm on April 23rd and characters are around level 20.

Story/game impressions + spoilers till end of April 23rd in game.
    Let's just skip immediately to the big ugly elephant in the room: Did we really need a scene with one of the villains molesting the other? Congratulations Musse, you're no longer the worst character in the game... for now. The series already had some problematic writing when it came to gay or bi characters, but at least they never went into full-on sexual assault.

With that out of the way:
    - I'm liking the kids in Class VII, they are still a bit too tropey, but they are growing.
    - Finally getting some resources and able to unlock some slots for each character. I'm playing on normal, but some boss fights were pretty difficult. Maybe I need to grind more.
    - They are overdoing it a bit with the collecting stuff. Between the seeds and the stories and the records and the photos (and possibly more in the future) I'm having a lot to look out for. Not even counting all the card players in the world that give you cards on defeat.
    - I really like the second master quartz mechanic and I really, really like Kurt's master quartz (counterattack after a dodge does +300% damage) and the moment I got Fie back in the party, she immediately got that one. Currently she is stabbing any creature that even tries to attack her to death.
    - I'm confirmed in my opinion that having a smaller school this time is an improvement, because we keep tripping over ex-classmates.
    - I like Laura, Elliot and Fie rolling their eyes at Rean when he goes on how Sara was such a better teacher than him and he has no idea how she was able to do all the stuff she was doing.
    - So currently rolling with the old class VII, but they are temporary characters, so better enjoy it while it lasts.
    - Where can the Society be hiding? We most go ask the military except... I don't know.. investigate the gate and path that were not on any maps that you found yesterday?

• Options
    Finally finished the first crossbell game, was a pretty good time. So now the only game I haven't played is Ao. Is it true its basically impossible to actually play in the west? I heard theres no where to actually buy a copy of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    If you mean PC, then I think you're right. But there's always PSP.

And the Crossbell games are coming to PS4 in Japan this year, and Falcom know that opens it up for official localization/release outside Japan.

But I doubt you want to wait for a possibility like that.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    My buddy has been working Cold Steel and I haven't seen him get so into a JRPG so hard. Makes me want to pick them up bad. I need a good JRPG after FF7R (not that it was bad).

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    My buddy has been working Cold Steel and I haven't seen him get so into a JRPG so hard. Makes me want to pick them up bad. I need a good JRPG after FF7R (not that it was bad).

The cold steel games are pretty damn good. They also work as a pretty good introduction to the world. You'll get a whole bunch of small references if you have played the sky games, but they make sure you don't actually have to have played them.

And on the topic of the crossbell games I'm sorely tempted to play the fanpatch of Zero, but playing Ao seems like a giant pain atm. Might as well hope for both to get official translations.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

The cold steel games are pretty damn good. They also work as a pretty good introduction to the world. You'll get a whole bunch of small references if you have played the sky games, but they make sure you don't actually have to have played them.

And on the topic of the crossbell games I'm sorely tempted to play the fanpatch of Zero, but playing Ao seems like a giant pain atm. Might as well hope for both to get official translations.

They're good, but the first one is a super slow burn. It takes a long time to really get going, but it's also an intro for four games.

• Options
    Are the sky games harder to play if you played cold steel?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Are the sky games harder to play if you played cold steel?

Not really, the combat system has for practical purposes changed very little between the two series.

• Options
    Not really, but they are harder to get into overall. While cold steel 1 is a slow burn it has more excitement than Sky 1 by far. Cold steel also has a more fun combat system.

Unless you really enjoy an incredibly slow burn with an incredibly slow combat system for about 1.5 games until you get actual payoff the sky games can be annoying. (And don't get me wrong, the payoff is superbly amazing, but 1.5 games getting there is a bit of a pain). The turbo function in the PC releases helps a lot for sky, but they are still veeeeeery slow.

And whatever you do, if you play the sky games do not play on hard. They are not fun on hard most of the game unless you got a pretty good grasp of the game systems and avoid using the bad characters. It's more fun on normal where you can use whoever you want.

• Options
    Honestly I would say its kinda hard to go back to Sky and the crossbell games for me just because of the gameplay differences, mostly in the orbment system. While I enjoyed Zero, having to remember which quartz I need in which combination to get whatever spells I need is always annoying to me so its hard to go back to that system after cold steel.

I would say its still worthwhile to play the older games cause the stories and such in them are great but it was harder to go back and finish them for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yeah that's why I'm wondering if I should start with them.

• Options
    I would. I enjoyed the first two alot and I enjoyed the gameplay when I first played through them even if its abit slow. Just hard to go back, which is why I still haven't beat the third game in that series since its alot more combat focused.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Keep in mind though.. how much time do you have? These are all massive RPGs, and the time commitment is huge especially if you want to do them all.

• Options
    I like Sky actually more than Cold Steel (not that I dislike Cold Steel, though the 3rd had several design decisions I was less enthused by) I prefer the smaller stakes, the focus on more character driven events and the slower pace.

The way magic works in the first 2 is a more complicated though (at least if you want to use the more powerful spells)

Also keep in mind re time commitment: many of the games (both in Sky and Cold Steel) end on cliffhangers.

• Options
    Keep in mind though.. how much time do you have? These are all massive RPGs, and the time commitment is huge especially if you want to do them all.

Very little if I'm being honest lol.

• Options
    One nice thing about these games is that they have a pretty good diary function that tracks progress so you can review events and get refreshed on what's up next.

It's always nice when RPGs have that in case you have to take an extended break.

• Options
    I'm sorry to hog all of the conversation but another thing I miss is grinding. Is it possible in these games? Sometimes when I get stressed I like to shut off a part of my brain and just run around and kill shit in an RPG. Please tell me I can do that.

• Options
    Yes, you can wander back and forth within the “field” areas and just jam fights wantonly.

• Options
    It's worth nothing that even if the games allow grinding they never require grinding. All the games have very heavy exp scaling, and catching people up is fast if you want to.

• Options
    That's good to hear! I'm not opposed to grinding at all. In fact I sometimes prefer it if the game gets too hard that grinding takes away some of the challenge.

• Options
    That's good to hear! I'm not opposed to grinding at all. In fact I sometimes prefer it if the game gets too hard that grinding takes away some of the challenge.

As long as you play the sky games on normal they nail the difficulty really well in my opinion.

Just save often, there are some chest encounters that will wreck you unless you know their gimmick.

• Options
    When you die in battle, they also have a nice, non-judgmental feature that asks if you want to restart the fight and lower the difficulty a bit or just restart the fight as-is. It doesn't change the difficulty setting, it just makes that fight a little easier. And if you lower it and die again, it'll ask again and lower it even more, etc.

The Trails games are super player-friendly.

• Options
    I am kinda curious if Cold Steel 4 will end up delayed. I think they said fall 2020 but with the whole covid stuff going on I kinda doubt they will be able to keep that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I am kinda curious if Cold Steel 4 will end up delayed. I think they said fall 2020 but with the whole covid stuff going on I kinda doubt they will be able to keep that.

Localization processes seem like they would be fairly resilient to production disruption from Covid, but I could certainly see them having to postpone or diminish physical production.