As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a chat for today

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hm I just wrote a PM about this but I just wanted to say that if I'm legit too bad to play Overwatch with you guys (because I've been too busy playing league to practice overwatch very much, and because I'm just kinda fps-challenged) just tell me and instead of being salty at me, and I will not be offended and go practice by myself or with my Amherst bros until I can aim and have a modicum of map awareness /sense of tactics.

Cred, are you playing ranked Overwatch?

No, just quickplay. I'm not sure I'll ever play ranked overwatch, and if I did I'd play solo.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I didn't play Overwatch for a week and all my skills disappeared. Rip Overwatch.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    chat I want more lunch options but I don't have anything but chains and wegmans for sushi/pizza

what do I do

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    For fun, I'm trying to hash out the code behind a basic program that counts votes in an STV range and determines the winners.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hm I just wrote a PM about this but I just wanted to say that if I'm legit too bad to play Overwatch with you guys (because I've been too busy playing league to practice overwatch very much, and because I'm just kinda fps-challenged) just tell me and instead of being salty at me, and I will not be offended and go practice by myself or with my Amherst bros until I can aim and have a modicum of map awareness /sense of tactics.

Cred you were fine last night. Not sure if something happened after I left. We only really get on Nexus for being bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    *EXHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE*

hi guys

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

No, just quickplay. I'm not sure I'll ever play ranked overwatch, and if I did I'd play solo.

it's garbage and makes you feel like shit

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Hey folks in this thread who do weight-lifty stuff.

If I am trying to be a good muscle-person but also I'm worried about knee... wobbliness? Not pain per-se but like the sensation that you'd probably not put a ton of weight on this knee or something weird is going to happen... what do I do to replace squatting for leg/booty exercising?

I've got a couple that I'm doing at the moment that seem effective but like literally everyone's like "secret to legs is just squat a million times a day with a billion pounds" and I'd like to make sure I am replacing it with something equivalent.

I'd ask about exercises to strengthen the knee but frankly that seems like something that an actual PT person would have the right advice about.

am not a weight lifty expert but does the sensation go away if you do more reps at less weight?

Not necessarily, like I work out at home so I'm never actually loading up a bar with a ton of weight since I don't want to be found by my roommate crushed under my own hubris. But also I do unweighted squats sometimes and it's still occasionally there.

Also the threshold for "it feels weird" is set kind of low because well I absolutely don't want to bork up my knees. My whole family has done some ungodly thing to their legs at some point and I want to avoid that.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    You guys did work? Man you are some fair weather slackers. I read so much Twitter
    i would have done work but i am waiting to hear back on which thing i need to scramble to have done before next week
    (work sucks, i know/ )

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Bastion
    birb
    Bastion
    birb

*sparks fly out of airs*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    chat I want more lunch options but I don't have anything but chains and wegmans for sushi/pizza

what do I do

get sushi from wegman's and then mcd's chicky nugs and make your own lunch

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

If I am trying to be a good muscle-person but also I'm worried about knee... wobbliness? Not pain per-se but like the sensation that you'd probably not put a ton of weight on this knee or something weird is going to happen... what do I do to replace squatting for leg/booty exercising?

I've got a couple that I'm doing at the moment that seem effective but like literally everyone's like "secret to legs is just squat a million times a day with a billion pounds" and I'd like to make sure I am replacing it with something equivalent.

I'd ask about exercises to strengthen the knee but frankly that seems like something that an actual PT person would have the right advice about.

Beasto always told me that if I'm feeling it (the squat) in my knees, my form is wrong. His solution was: Watch more cut dudes on youtube do it right.

Also yes starting at lower weights and focusing on improving form at higher reps to strengthen muscle and improve posture until it becomes second nature is the best and safest way to begin. You don't want to get all ambitious and end up with an injury that puts out out of the gym for months

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

what do I do

Move

• Options

am not a weight lifty expert but does the sensation go away if you do more reps at less weight?

Not necessarily, like I work out at home so I'm never actually loading up a bar with a ton of weight since I don't want to be found by my roommate crushed under my own hubris. But also I do unweighted squats sometimes and it's still occasionally there.

Also the threshold for "it feels weird" is set kind of low because well I absolutely don't want to bork up my knees. My whole family has done some ungodly thing to their legs at some point and I want to avoid that.

you should maybe do some PT for your knees

I've never had wobbly knees like that when squatting or lifting in general

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I finished season 1 overwatch a middling rank 53

I think I will aim to hit g1 in league over the next couple weeks and dedicate some time to actually learning that chopin etude I said i was gonna learn

then dive back into overwatch season 2

then grind out plat in league in the gap between s2 and s3 most likely

*nod nod good plan shark let's do it*

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    i have nothing to say to any of you

except this

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/18/12530732/overwatch-gremlin-dva-emote

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Who needs Taco Bell? We have the whopperito now

I have not yet tried it but there is a BK by our apartment advertising it and every day I wonder...

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Cred you play fine. I mean I won't name names but you're not even the worst player we play with!

(It's me)

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Okay, well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not "too bad" at overwatch and aren't ruining anyone's evening. HOWEVER, if overwatch makes you feel that way, like it made me feel, you should probably take a break. The point of video games is to have fun and if you're not having fun because you feel your lack of skill is ruining everyone's evening (it isn't unless you're playing ranked), the game is probably bad for you.

Source: I had to stop playing most MOBAs because of that.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

what do I do

get sushi from wegman's and then mcd's chicky nugs and make your own lunch

I might as well just skip the effort and get something from KFC or DQ

• Options

getting salty over quickplay is extra lame

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Beasto always told me that if I'm feeling it (the squat) in my knees, my form is wrong. His solution was: Watch more cut dudes on youtube do it right.

Also yes starting at lower weights and focusing on improving form at higher reps to strengthen muscle and improve posture until it becomes second nature is the best and safest way to begin. You don't want to get all ambitious and end up with an injury that puts out out of the gym for months

you could also try assisted bodyweight squats like holding on to the back of a chair or a door frame

if you're feeling it in your knees it may be your legs aren't strong enough for full squats with weights yet

or you're just trying too much weight. there's no shame in starting with the bar and then adding on if you're comfortable

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage of course as with most of the big questions in life the answer is to watch cut dudes on youtube

Yeah though I guess that makes sense, that it's more a matter of my knees being an indicator of bad form rather than necessarily that I'm doing too many with good form.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    *yawn*

hello I just woke up on the first of five days of vacation

and chat is back yay!

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

it's garbage and makes you feel like shit

Maybe I'll try it some day if I feel more competent, but I'm not interested in seeing a number that shows me that I'm in the bottom n% of OW players. I'm a fan of competitive play in general, but I'm not there yet for this game.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ilpala wrote: »
    omg guys I have so many sex stories and I WANTED TO SHARE BUT THERE WAS NO CHAT

Do you?

1) somebody got a slave leia costume
    2) somebody got a new kimono
    3) somebody got bent over the kitchen counter

(the somebody was me ofc)

But...but you cook on there

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I am looking forward to the new Competitive system in Overwatch.

They're changing the tiebreaker rules, and they're introducing actual tiers (bronze, silver, gold, etc) like all their other games (except Hearthstone, which is admittedly a bit of an outlier). I could definitely see myself trying to make Gold or whatever each season instead of shooting for an arbitrary rank between 1 and 100. I mean, obviously their tiers are arbitrary too, but they're the official arbitrary thresholds!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I'm not even really enjoying quickplays in OW anymore. Every time I end up in a game where I get fucking demolished. I can't seem to kill people with tracer/soldier76, even if they're mercy or some other weakling. It feels like I'm not doing any damage at all to anyone anymore.

It actually kind of feels a lot like PvP in wow when you're playing people who are massively out gearing you.

But I still end up with like silver or gold in damage done, so I don't get it.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Also, and let me stress I genuinely enjoyed the humor of this and it is not a complaint.

It would figure MY chat would be the one that got shut down.

Ludious on
  • Options
    oh and durandal when I was lifting last year (*pours one out for past Hakks*) the best improvement came when a dude who was muscles stacked on muscles made friends with me after I saw his squirtle socks and helped me correct my form even further

I was really embarrassed and shy and self-conscious at my newbiness and shittiness for a long time and never talked to anyone but loosened up when I started needing spotters for bench press. It pays off to make gym friends. People who are good at lifting tend to like helping other people get good at lifting.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm emailing a thank you note to the professor of the machine learning course I took. He's super great, the course is super great, etc, and I almost cried during his last video, which was thanking everyone for the class. What's the proper way to sign that? "Best" is my normal go-to, but "thanks" seems so weird and stuffy and weird.

• Options
    ATTENTION PEOPLE

YOU ARE NOT THE WORST OVERWATCH PLAYER EVER IF YOU DO NOT JUST PLAY HANZO OR WIDOWMAKER AND DO NOTHING AND ACTUALLY PLAY OTHER CHARACTERS YOU ARE NOT THE WORST. NO YOU CANNOT AIM, NEITHER CAN ANYONE BUT LIKE THE TOP 10% OF PLAYERS.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Oh hi chat

I had a really fun gig last night which is nice because my gf was in the audience and it was only like the third time she's seen me do standup and last time I ate shit

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Had to get a new credit card because of fraud charges. Looking back this past weekend I'm thinking my card was skimmed at a shady looking gas station I filled up at, the pump didn't even ask for my ZIP code now that I remember. Or it was a food truck that took cards, I saw the cashier had a little reader thing that can apparently read chips, didn't know they had portable versions of chip readers.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Just blame someone else

WE LOST BECAUSE OUR SOLO OFFLANE FACELESS WENT 0-8 AND LET PA FARM A BFURY IN LESS THAN FIFTEEN MINUTES

• Options
    a
    I'm not even really enjoying quickplays in OW anymore. Every time I end up in a game where I get fucking demolished. I can't seem to kill people with tracer/soldier76, even if they're mercy or some other weakling. It feels like I'm not doing any damage at all to anyone anymore.

It actually kind of feels a lot like PvP in wow when you're playing people who are massively out gearing you.

I played a bunch of QP last night with porp and it seemed like there was a lot of people getting dumped back into QP after grinding CP all season and so their QP MMR was way lower than it should be but also they were mostly dicking around and going for kills and not really playing the objective so it was kinda eh

i personally was just focusing on practicing champs i don't play as much (mcree and zarya) to get their achievements and also just get better at them for future CP use

• Options
    ATTENTION PEOPLE

YOU ARE NOT THE WORST OVERWATCH PLAYER EVER IF YOU DO NOT JUST PLAY HANZO OR WIDOWMAKER AND DO NOTHING AND ACTUALLY PLAY OTHER CHARACTERS YOU ARE NOT THE WORST. NO YOU CANNOT AIM, NEITHER CAN ANYONE BUT LIKE THE TOP 10% OF PLAYERS.

speaking of aiming

I'm watching some hanzo and reaper players and it's like the replay stutters about when they move around and they snap to people's body's

is this a aimbot?

like it's not a smooth transition of aiming it's sort of like moves 25% of the screen, then snaps to the other side, then back to the other 25%

• Options
    Had to get a new credit card because of fraud charges. Looking back this past weekend I'm thinking my card was skimmed at a shady looking gas station I filled up at, the pump didn't even ask for my ZIP code now that I remember. Or it was a food truck that took cards, I saw the cashier had a little reader thing that can apparently read chips, didn't know they had portable versions of chip readers.

it's more likely a skimmer was installed at a gas station by someone who doesn't work at the gas station than someone running a business skimmed your card but you never know i guess

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Tav People never laugh when i tell jokes and always think i'm serious when sarcastic.

Can this be fixed or should i cross out jokes from my life?

• Options
    a

I played a bunch of QP last night with porp and it seemed like there was a lot of people getting dumped back into QP after grinding CP all season and so their QP MMR was way lower than it should be but also they were mostly dicking around and going for kills and not really playing the objective so it was kinda eh

i personally was just focusing on practicing champs i don't play as much (mcree and zarya) to get their achievements and also just get better at them for future CP use

it's annoying

at least in a game like counter-strike it's entirely skill dependent and not a matter of rock vs paper vs maybe a bit of your skill

if I want to be frustrated I'll just go play cs instead

This discussion has been closed.