Not many PC tournaments this year or last year. What gives?

Dr.NickDr.Nick Registered User new member
edited August 2016 in PAX West
Maybe it's nostalgia glasses but I seem to recall 2013 and 2014 PAX Prime having a much broader PC free play selection as well as PC tournaments. This year and last year there has hardly been anything :\ Plants vs Zombies 4 years in a row? QWOP and CLOP? TF2 as the only FPS tournament? No strategy games either besides PvZ.

Compare this to console tournaments and even handheld tournaments.
PC: 12
Handheld: 17 Tournaments
Console: 42

PC is literally being beaten out by handheld despite having the biggest library of games. Is it just nature of conventions like this?

Does anyone else remember there being more diversity? What happened?

Dr.Nick on

Posts

  • DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    Thanks Obama!

    In all seriousness, it probably comes down to logistics. Consoles and handhelds are cheaper and easier to set up. A player using a PC takes up more space since they require a tabletop for mouse and keyboard.

    For an event that is trying to squeeze the most out of every square foot they can, that economy of space is probably what makes the most difference.

    Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • lampylampy Registered User new member
    Had a similar question:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206700/overwatch-tournament-at-pax-west

    One of the replies to my thread made sense:
    To the best of my knowledge they haven't announced what the PAX Arena game(s) will be... I think it was an Arena game at East and wouldn't be surprised to see it be in the Arena at West too.

    So holding out hope that there is still a list of PC tourneys yet to be announced/added to the schedule (specifically Overwatch).

  • Dr.NickDr.Nick Registered User new member
    lampy wrote: »
    Had a similar question:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206700/overwatch-tournament-at-pax-west

    One of the replies to my thread made sense:
    To the best of my knowledge they haven't announced what the PAX Arena game(s) will be... I think it was an Arena game at East and wouldn't be surprised to see it be in the Arena at West too.

    So holding out hope that there is still a list of PC tourneys yet to be announced/added to the schedule (specifically Overwatch).

    I hope so but I am pessimistic because I was expecting the same thing as you last year :\

    Deimir wrote: »
    Thanks Obama!

    In all seriousness, it probably comes down to logistics. Consoles and handhelds are cheaper and easier to set up. A player using a PC takes up more space since they require a tabletop for mouse and keyboard.

    For an event that is trying to squeeze the most out of every square foot they can, that economy of space is probably what makes the most difference.

    But they already have the logistics in the PC freeplay area do they not?

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Dr.Nick wrote: »
    Deimir wrote: »
    Thanks Obama!

    In all seriousness, it probably comes down to logistics. Consoles and handhelds are cheaper and easier to set up. A player using a PC takes up more space since they require a tabletop for mouse and keyboard.

    For an event that is trying to squeeze the most out of every square foot they can, that economy of space is probably what makes the most difference.

    But they already have the logistics in the PC freeplay area do they not?
    It's not freeplay if the machines are being dedicated to a tournament. It would mean turning off freeplay during the day. As opposed to what they do now, adding tournament machines to freeplay at night.

Sign In or Register to comment.