As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I just wish I had forgotten about this game for another month or so.

Oh well. Breath of the Wild, Horizon, and Nier will keep me busy, I suppose.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Honestly, what they fucked up most with DA:I, for me, was the netcode.

Rubberbanding all over the fucking place, infecting half the games I played. Even when I checked in months later it was still an issue for many players. Ugh.

So yeah. As someone that would have happily kept paying out money for expansions to ME3's multiplayer if they had kept making it, I will be perfectly happy if they can deliver the core experience and fluidity intact.

DA:I had multiple Sins that doomed the multiplayer. Bad netcode, a mediocre combat engine, and the godawful item drop system. If progression was actually progression instead of gacha-level rarity chases then it would have been a lot better.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I think that fear demon boss that lept out of the ground was one of the most aggravating online experiences and I've had.

Very tight timing on running out of his attack + shit netcode?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that if Bioware ever releases a remastered trilogy they could add references to the Andromeda Initiative in all three games.

Along with the hardest of endgame story backdowns.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    I was playing me3 multi with a friend today

I was paladin spamming freeze with geth scanner

he was like I didn't even know snap freeze went through walls

I was like PRAISE THE ICE *presses 3 forever*

For more crazy time try incendiary grenade class + overload class. Triple fire detonation every cast is just crazy.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Did Microsoft ever get that thing straight where people on Xbone could play multi with people on PC? I remember reading about that but I haven't heard about it in a while.

EDIT: Asking because I plan to play on PC but I have a friend who'd go Xbone. Would be nice if Microsoft finally let us play together.

God I hope not, would be almost impossible to get gun kills with mouse users in the mix.

DreadBert on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Did Microsoft ever get that thing straight where people on Xbone could play multi with people on PC? I remember reading about that but I haven't heard about it in a while.

EDIT: Asking because I plan to play on PC but I have a friend who'd go Xbone. Would be nice if Microsoft finally let us play together.

God I hope not, would be almost impossible to get gun kills with mouse users in the mix.

The list of games that support "Play Anywhere" crossplatform stuff is pretty small. I believe Gears of War 4 is the only shooter available.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, yeah. preordered through Amazon.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on vehicles in multiplayer or map size?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I can't imagine how vehicles would fit in multiplayer.

I would imagine that, while the maps may be larger than ME3's due to the increase in mobility that jetpacks provide, it won't be a huge increase - maybe doubling the effective play area.

Dac on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I could see there being more verticality in the maps because of the jetpack, but not necessarily a larger map.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So we've seen the player charge enemies on the ground while your still in the air, but I wonder if you will be able to charge enemies in the air...

...And then plummet to your death

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

some games have had it, but not many yet. It's still in trial runs.

253J736.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I hope there are some Earth/Milky galaxy prototypes that are continually developed. I like those style of guns, and generic "alien blipblop" guns aren't the best.

More guns like this:

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So we've seen the player charge enemies on the ground while your still in the air, but I wonder if you will be able to charge enemies in the air...

...And then plummet to your death

I have to wonder if fall damage will even be a thing. They could easily just do away with it entirely, justifying it in lore that a jetpack always keeps enough juice in reserve to automatically cushion a fall from a multi-story height, assuming Earth-like gravity and atmosphere.

• Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Speaking of, I wonder what the bonus ability for Vangod is going to be?

Something to do with close range combat, I assume.

"Whenever you kill an enemy with a melee weapon, your skill cooldowns reset."

I mean for like an actual power. Like if Sentinel was getting an active power tech armor I would imagine Vangod would get something like that not a passive boost.

Every class-specific bonus we've seen so far has been a passive though.

Soldier - Temporary damage bonus after killing an enemy (stacks with itself).

Engineer - Decreased cooldowns on tech skills and damage to enemies that get within close range.

Infiltrator - Something to do with detecting enemies, possibly seeing them through walls or on the mini-map.

Explorer - Something to do with versatility, possibly faster weapon swap speed and skill casting speed.

The only classes whose descriptions we haven't seen are Adept, Vanguard, and Sentinel.

Just to point out, the ability names for the Soldier and Engineer passives are "Marksman Focus" and "Combat Drone" respectively.

Also, where are you getting the ones for the Infiltrator? All we've seen of it so far are its general passives which include +Weapon Accuracy, +Weapon Stability, +Recharge Speed and +Headshot/Weakpoint Damage Bonus, we've yet to see what its unique passive is. As for Explorer we only know for the moment that it has +Weapon Damage and +Damage Resistance.

It's more likely that given the lead designer's statement below that Tech Armor will be the Sentinel Profile's unique passive.
    Yes, people have said that each one has a passive thingy and a specific POWER. I'm talking about the power part. And if that's not true that means that Tech Armor is not even in the game at all.

Ian Frazier (Lead Designer for Andromeda) already confirmed that Tech Armor is still in the game.

For people who want to have as many morsels of info on the game leading up to release, Ian's twitter page has lots of info about the game's mechanics, and he's open to answering questions about them. Obviously he can't answer all of them, whether due to time or pre-release confidentiality, but we know a lot more now from his replies.

SayuriUliana on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Have they spoken at length of any further squadmates that you can unlock in the game (like a late-game Legion entrance)?

If not, I'm having trouble with the combat companions thus far. Primarily because Bioware has trouble writing interesting humans within Mass Effect. Or these character take a longer amount of time to become even close to as interesting as any of the alien squaddies. Or their VO is horrendous.

Kaiden was interesting because he introduced us to a lot of concepts of What Humans Are circa the 2180s, and he's like an older brother who has some wry wisdom. But I already spent 100 hours with him in Knights of The Old Republic. Bioware literally copy-pasted him, and that's a shame. Get a new VO and it becomes less noticeable, but still.

Ashley is an archetype you seem coming a mile away, but she blooms into her own and gains self confidence and expertise and is like a badass Soldier, but she only became interesting by the third game when she moves post-artchetype. And even then, I liked her far less, because I could talk to her more and learn more about her opinions and realize they are all bad.

Miranda and Jacob had the far greater disconnect of being part of an ultranationalist movement, but it was cool because Bioware wrote Renegade's as subtly tilting human-first throughout the games. They literally start the first game with huge Turian/Human racial tension, and a Renegade Shep can swim in it. They could have done a lot with that sort of racial/species tension, but they did not do a lot with that, and these characters are lame. Jacob has a cool side story with his dad, but the rest of your interest in these two requires a cognitive dissonance.

Jack is neat, but again, you see everything she is and get a good bead on her quickly. She's a foil to certain Shepard's and is the opposite biotic story to Kaidens, and while that's interesting it does not go very far. She's a thin character.

Ironically, the two characters with the LEAST backstory/content on them in-game from ME2, Kasumi and Zaeed, are also the most interesting. Is it because they remain engimatic, whereas we barrel down whatever hokey narrative Bioware creates for the rest of the humans? Or was the effort in making sure the parts of these two that were explored/developed were REALLY developed.

And then ME3 had, categorically, the worst companions: Ashley again, another 50 hours with Carth, Liara again (her VO sounds asleep, and every Asari introduced before and after Liara has been infinitely better written, has a better VO, is more alive).

And is redeemed with what is effectively a sex robot of your ship, a better written male version of Ashley (vega), Tali and Garrus.

It feels like Bioware forgot that one of the best aspects of Mass Effect isn't just interacting with a bunch of alien species and weird planets, but also building cool relationships with them. I'd much rather interact with and make part of my team some diverse set of cool aliens, not mediocre human characters.

So far I've seen a female version of Anderson, my dad, my space explorer man/woman (continuing the trend of whitest main characters ever!), a more interesting Asari (thank god), and our third Krogan in 4 games.

They fucked off to a new galaxy before exploring a Volus squadmember, only having one Salarian, one Drell, no Batarians, and completely flubbing whatever goddamn comedy gold that having an elcor or a hanharr on your ship would have created.

They destroyed the Milky Way before they had a chance to really explore it. That's why the end of ME3 was bad.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There are definitely more companions coming down the pipe, one of which is an Andromeda native, but obviously they are not talking about specifics really because of spoilers,

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Also, where are you getting the ones for the Infiltrator? All we've seen of it so far are its general passives which include +Weapon Accuracy, +Weapon Stability, +Recharge Speed and +Headshot/Weakpoint Damage Bonus, we've yet to see what its unique passive is. As for Explorer we only know for the moment that it has +Weapon Damage and +Damage Resistance.

The classes have (very vague) hints about their passive abilities in their descriptions.

Soldier: "This profile optimizes Ryder's mind and body for superior mastery of his armor and weapons."

Engineer: "This profile reconfigures Ryder's implant, enabling him to maintain constant control of a small combat drone which assists and protects him in battle."

Infiltrator: "This profile enhances Ryder's mental and visual acuity, allowing her to keep track of her enemies throughout a chaotic battle."

Explorer: "This profile reconfigures Ryder's mind and body to be as versatile as possible, permitting her to switch rapidly between firing weapons, deploying technology, and wielding biotic powers."

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    God I'm going to miss the rest of the Milky Way galaxy species.

Hopefully a second Andromeda initiative fleet with the Hanar, Volus, Quarians etc arrives in the next game.

Their lore reason for coming to the Andromeda galaxy could be because of the Reaper Invasion in ME3, and result in an event where we have to fight a stray Reaper that was tailing them.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular

The classes have (very vague) hints about their passive abilities in their descriptions.

Soldier: "This profile optimizes Ryder's mind and body for superior mastery of his armor and weapons."

Engineer: "This profile reconfigures Ryder's implant, enabling him to maintain constant control of a small combat drone which assists and protects him in battle."

Infiltrator: "This profile enhances Ryder's mental and visual acuity, allowing her to keep track of her enemies throughout a chaotic battle."

Explorer: "This profile reconfigures Ryder's mind and body to be as versatile as possible, permitting her to switch rapidly between firing weapons, deploying technology, and wielding biotic powers."

The description of the Infiltrator and Explorer profiles in these are very broad and not terribly specific, certainly not enough to come to the previously stated conclusions. Also, the sentence construction for Explorer says "switch rapidly between firing weapons, deploying technology and wielding biotic powers", with "switch rapidly between" referring to "firing weapons, deploying technology and wielding biotic powers", rather than switching between weapons.

• Options

Hopefully a second Andromeda initiative fleet with the Hanar, Volus, Quarians etc arrives in the next game.

Their lore reason for coming to the Andromeda galaxy could be because of the Reaper Invasion in ME3, and result in an event where we have to fight a stray Reaper that was tailing them.

That's how you end a game and make me want to play the next one. You find some crashed ship or whatnot and boom IT WAS FULL OF ELCOR WHO RAN LIKE MOFOS.

Where's the Quarian Fleet? Are they allllllllllllllllll dead?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The description of the Infiltrator and Explorer profiles in these are very broad and not terribly specific, certainly not enough to come to the previously stated conclusions. Also, the sentence construction for Explorer says "switch rapidly between firing weapons, deploying technology and wielding biotic powers", with "switch rapidly between" referring to "firing weapons, deploying technology and wielding biotic powers", rather than switching between weapons.

Good thing what he said made that clear.
    filtrator - Something to do with detecting enemies, possibly seeing them through walls or on the mini-map.

Explorer - Something to do with versatility, possibly faster weapon swap speed and skill casting speed.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    I just played ME3 MP for the first time last night. I accidentally jumped into a platinum game at level 1. Still fun! Especially once I got a handle on it.

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

I just assumed there'd be some of every race on the Nexus, even if they don't have their own Ark

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The volus have a hard enough time finding habitable planets in the Milky Way. Running off to Andromeda would be riskier for them than other species.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Volus Vanguards are just literally cannonballs.

I loved running around with the little volus shielding supports in ME3 multiplayer. PAYDAY *breaths deeply*

• Options
    Phonehand wrote: »
    I just played ME3 MP for the first time last night. I accidentally jumped into a platinum game at level 1. Still fun! Especially once I got a handle on it.

ME3's MP is in this wonderful spot where skill and positioning can overcome pretty much any class' deficiencies, and even if your class doesn't have a good gimmick, you can usually make one through weapon and/or ammo choices. Only have one tech detonator and no primer? Fuck it, I'll prime everything with Falcon! Which on top of being AoE also staggers humanoid enemies like crazy.

This is, again, something I dearly hope that they replicate in Andromeda, because it's part of what kept me coming back again and again.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    www.totallyfuckablealiens.com

You all should trust me and click on that link.
    CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY MASS EFFECT Pack

Only $1 for 14 cards they made with Bioware.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

I've never purchased anything so quickly.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

Throw an http:// on there and it will actually work

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nolan North's voice is like the white man voice version of chicken.

While this is definitely true, North is insanely talented. There's a video out there, maybe from Giant Bomb, of North just rattling through a whole bunch of different voices very seamlessly.

He just tends to get used for his kinda generic white guy voice.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nolan North's voice is like the white man voice version of chicken.

While this is definitely true, North is insanely talented. There's a video out there, maybe from Giant Bomb, of North just rattling through a whole bunch of different voices very seamlessly.

He just tends to get used for his kinda generic white guy voice.

Well yeah that's how it is.

Which is sad commentary on gamers really. "No no do the nolan north voice."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think it's just large-scale creative processes where they need a quick reliable VO. Nolan North is famous as fuck so they hire him, ask him to Nathan Drake, and that part of your productions is EASILY SETTLED.

But yeah it sucks. Loved him as Penguin in Arkham City, though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nolan North is great. I'm also a total Troy Baker fanboy these days. He fucking killed it in Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us.

• Options
    WolveSight wrote: »

Considering the shrieking coming from console overwatch players facing folks runing mouse/kbd adapters I can't see it getting much acceptance.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Just played a bit of me3 multi. The gunplay is... A bit jarring after playing overwatch since release. I hope I haven't spoilt myself for other shooters..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I could see crossplay in a co-op only shooter not being that terrible of an idea. If anything it would expand player base. And spread out the god damn laggy russians...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Just played a bit of me3 multi. The gunplay is... A bit jarring after playing overwatch since release. I hope I haven't spoilt myself for other shooters..

... it's a cover-based shooter, I'd be concerned if you didn't find any appreciable difference between the two games.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    WolveSight wrote: »

Considering the shrieking coming from console overwatch players facing folks runing mouse/kbd adapters I can't see it getting much acceptance.

Well, if the multi is still PvE, it's not as annoying as when your opponent is a much better shot.

With the relatively slow movement and auto aim skills, it would also be much closer

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg