As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Haha, you have the rails in the same place as I do Basil. At first, I found it irritating that the small and the medium rails have different charge times, but it's actually a feature. If you are careful, you can release the trigger before the medium rail fires and chose how much damage to dump into the target. Useful! Yes, the rails run HOT, especially when they don't have enough juice to draw from the capacitor.

Anyone else excited for the new surface things coming up in 2.2?

7ganmshusrzs.png

These tube-worm things are apparently only one of several new things to be found. When I saw this picture in Obsidian Ants new video I realised that one of the things I've missed when it comes to exploring is actual interesting things to find on the surfaces. Sure there are the POIs, but those are random and usually not very interesting. I hope the new things are plugged into the planetary generation algorithm and if those worms (and crystal trees I hear people talking about?) are indeed life that they will be found in places where you'd expect them to be. I read that the "biological entities" are likely to be found around fumaroles and geysers, which makes sense. Maybe this makes me unreasonable excited, but being a biologist I'm really curious about Frontiers take on alien life!

bio.png 472.1K
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The FDL is one of the few ships I've never flown. How much does a fitted out one cost these days?

Roughly 100 million credits for full A ratings (including utility slots and a 4A fuel scoop to make getting around easier), huge Multi cannon, and class 2 gimballed weapons.

Oh man...I can finally afford this I think. I'm sitting at about 111mil total assets. I'll make say 20 mil more then go for it I think. Alternatively, how much is a fully A rated Python?

Much more expensive, and if you're looking to do combat, substantially less capable.

It's a shame, I like the Python's design alot but it's just not very useful for how I play. The FDL though, is basically perfect. A bigger Viper fits me just right. It also looks amazing IMO so I'm a happy camper going for that. The Python seems like the next logical step from the Cobra though, and I feel a pull to go in that direction given the Cobra Mk3 is my favorite ship hands down, but it just doesn't really seem like a good move.

It's a beauty, at least to me. Despite it's issues, I'm generally very happy with my Viper Mk IV (as I've expressed, I'm a lot angrier about hitting the upgrade ceiling rather early than any flaws with the ship)--it's lake of maneuverability is helped a bit by turning off assist as necessary, and being able to run away from a bad fight pretty easily is a welcome feature. It sounds like an FDL might be my goal in the future (I'm only sitting on 8 million, so I'm way, way far away from that sort of thing).

• Options
    An E:D story...

After getting a number of tip-offs in my coms inbox, I decided to finally check one out. It was something about a crashed ship with loads of valuable cargo and a data-cache. I jumped in my Cobra and took of for the target-system, of course the crash-site was on a planet orbiting the b-star in the system, some 150k ls out from the entry-point. After entering orbital cruise I made my way to the given coords. On the desolate waste below me I spotted a dark smudge in the distance...

568sk46ctzms.png

The sad remnants of a small ship embedded in the gray ground greeted me as I approached... (hm, on an airless world shouldn't that smoke just stay at ground-level? Mah immersion is ruined!)

d62wqbvnq0jo.png

The sidey was surprisingly intact considering that it must have hit at high speed to make such a trench. Good old Faulcon Delacey sure make sturdy starships!

6mxg5mohh7zx.png

Sadly I don't think the pilot was as sturdy as his craft... did he or she take a rock to the face, or did she turn into a pile of sand on impact? Guess we will never know.

1xx2tf5paj84.png

The data-banks of the crashed ship spoke about a surprise attack from the rear, sudden fear and then only silence. Is this twisted piece of debris something that came of the Sidewinder, or could it be something from whatever caused the ship to crash?

ja5avwyodj71.png

Before I left, I took some time to ponder who the unfortunate commander who met his demise here could have been. What were they doing here and what were their last thoughts? The only witnesses to those moments were the gently rolling hills surrounding this forsaken valley, and they remained silent.

y34enyebydys.png

As I blasted of space-ward, leaving the small broken star-ship behind, I could not help but to think about the many perils that lurk in the deep void. A dangerous galaxy indeed.

d4gojiqjgcpc.png

Oh, and the loads of valuable cargo? Turned out the be ONE canister of wine... I left it there as an grave-offering to the unknown commander.

Note: I really wish that Frontier would make more of this type of thing. It makes the galaxy feel like there are actually things going on with people living their lives and things happening outside of player actions. Just small stories that makes the galaxy feel like a living place. Surely it can't be that hard to make these things using assets already in game?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Ugh. Managed to claw my way to the top 10% of the community goal. I am thinking the Asp was not an ideal ship to do this in, and I should have done what I was considering and just bought a barebones T-7 while I was down there, and sold it back after the event.

On the bright side, I found a station that sells combat weapons, so I can do a lil' gun running on the way back home to unlock my 5th black market.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I guess I just have to give in and buy a Vulture and shoot more haulers for Chemical Manipulators. I really really want to upgrade the FSD on the Clipper I worked so hard to get.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    harvest, have you tried checking in combat aftermath USS? Apparently systems in retreat (and possible war) tend to have them. I'm pretty sure I picked up a bunch from those USSs. Also, from some more research, combat aftermath USS are most commonly found near stellar bodies, that is you should not be in "Deep space" or in a "Shipping lane".

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm afk for ten days. I'm hoping they don't drop the patch til I get back because I have the energy for one more sothis run

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm afk for ten days. I'm hoping they don't drop the patch til I get back because I have the energy for one more sothis run

Hm might be pushing it :) I'll be doing as many of those as I can - power play has drained the bank account.

• Options
    What's the straight trading game like now? I never read people talking about it. I'm guessing my old routes are dead

• Options
    What's the straight trading game like now? I never read people talking about it. I'm guessing my old routes are dead

You trade lasers to wanted ships for bounties

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

They change much faster (as far as profit margin fluctuating), yet are still just as boring. You really need to involve a black market to make decent amounts (aka Torval Imp Slaves to Archon black markets).

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Rebuy is a little high for me to bounty hunt at the moment, plus I'd like a change and to work on my trading rank
    Bigity wrote: »

They change much faster (as far as profit margin fluctuating), yet are still just as boring. You really need to involve a black market to make decent amounts (aka Torval Imp Slaves to Archon black markets).

That's a shame. I like having gold trades or similar as a chill out activity. How are people finding routes, did the tools get better?

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Rebuy is a little high for me to bounty hunt at the moment, plus I'd like a change and to work on my trading rank
    Bigity wrote: »

That's a shame. I like having gold trades or similar as a chill out activity. How are people finding routes, did the tools get better?

I use(d) this: https://eddb.io/trade/single

There are also options for loop routes or multi-hops.

Again, only as good as the data put into it, but at least a place to start. I think Inara does some trade route calculations as well.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Popped my 1070 in. This game looks better and better in VR!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      New CG in Gyvatices. Buy coffee one jump away in Odins, Roche Orbital, sell at Walter's. This one appears to be moving fast. Could be big money.

• Options
      It really is a shame CQC is not more popular than it is. Looking at good pilots fight in the arena shows way more skill than most main-game fights I've seen. Here is a nice video with commentary:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pmmfFSIGcnc

Of course, many problems with CQC is down to the retarded way Frontier has implemented it. Barely functional lobby, and no or very little benefit from playing CQC that carries over to the main game. Also, why on earth are there no bots? Just another baffling design decision from Frontier.

On another note, here is a nice comparison between E:D and Star Citizen ships:
      lpeUYlI.jpg

It's kinda funny, I don't think I'll ever play SC (even if they ever get it to release) and I am not really a fan of their ship designs but I still enjoy looking at their ships with all the detailing.

• Options
      Release is in 4 days, so no time for a Sothis run for me.

At the beginning of the beta, people were saying that a Beluga trip from Jacques could net you a cool billion. That sounds like a fun way to make some dollar, but I'm sure they nerfed it to some extent.

• Options
      After hauling another few loads of geo
      Zerocz wrote: »
      New CG in Gyvatices. Buy coffee one jump away in Odins, Roche Orbital, sell at Walter's. This one appears to be moving fast. Could be big money.

It's a memorial event for a player's grandfather.

5gsowHm.png
    • Options
      edited October 2016
      Yup, came here to post the release date, 25:th it is!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/299556-Newsletter-147

"alien archaeology" :o

Lodbrok on
    • Options
      3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
      Lodbrok wrote: »
      Yup, came here to post the release date, 25:th it is!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/299556-Newsletter-147

"alien archaeology" :o

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

• Options
      Oh my... I checked out the memorial CG last night, and it was utter chaos. Two observations:

1. Somehow the system had turned into an anarchy, with NO security response at the station at all. Yup, it turned into complete mayhem pretty fast. So many people shooting each other, can't have been very fun for the people trying to actually trade. Gankers gonna gank I guess, but that was the worst I've ever seen.

2. Wow, the firepower that a wing of engineered combat ships can bring now is insane. I was there in my cobra and thought I could at least run away like I used to be able to. Nope, died in seconds as soon as someone opened fire on me, even going silent and doing evasive maneuvers.

Hopefully, after the recent stream where the developers were shot up in seconds they will do something about the discrepancy between firepower and defences. Not only has PvP became a matter of having über-engineered bigger ships, those not in dedicated combat ships have no chance at all any more, even when running. Hardly the "combat between commanders will be rare and meaningful" that was talked about. We will see what 2.2 brings, but for now I completely understand those going to solo or mobius, what little balance there was seem to have gone completely out the window.

On another note, here is a nice summary of ship-launched fighters:

https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/58q7cv/everything_you_need_to_know_about_ship_launched/

And finally a really nice Obsidian Ant video about some of the lore of the Elite universe. Many people are only vaguely aware that there actually is a long and pretty detailed universe behind the Elite series of games, some of it is even interesting!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g_diVy3-ZaM

• Options
      ThirithThirith Registered User regular
      Thanks for the video link; I'd somehow missed ObsidianAnt's latest.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    • Options
      It looks like the Class 5 fighter bay has the best trade off for a cargo ship: you're only losing 32 units of cargo for the added utility. That's worth it on a Cutter or Anaconda I think. Possibly there's a big ship without a class 5 slot though, and I think the Class 6 is less good value and the Class 7 is a lemon. Twice the cargo cost as the six (128 compared to 64) and the only benefit is carrying more fighters of the same loadout. Maybe it's worth it if you're going into the black for a long time and are planning on pranging a lot of fighters.

• Options
      I'm glad that the cost is low too. I was worried the fighter bays would cost a bomb. My finances are... a little tight due to running two high cost ships. I can afford three rebuys of either, so I'd like to build up my nest egg a bit.

I'm super interested in the cost to earning potential ratio of the Beluga. I love the concept of a space cruise liner, but I'm not dropping 150 million on a hull unless it can pay for itself pretty quickly.

• Options
      DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
      I was getting a little burned out and then Warcraft grabbed me by the unmentionables.

I haven't played Elite in almost 2 months and I'm really worried about pilot skill degradation at this point. However that CQC video Lodbrok posted looks magical and reminds me of why I love this game.

*sigh* Time to suck it up and crash into some asteroids.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    • Options
      BasilBasil Registered User regular
      I'm really happy with my upgraded Cobra. A whole new ship!

And I've not even visited an Engineer yet. I'll have to stop by to see a man about a gun.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    • Options
      It really is a lovely ship! Nothing you can't do in a Cobra, although after the experience I had yesterday at the CG has made me realise that the speed of the Cobra is no longer enough if you are facing determined attackers in PvP.

I've been thinking about what you could do to make survival easier for smaller ships in these times of insta-death-beam engineered weapons, and one thing I would like to see is enhanced drives for class 4 thrusters. This would give the Cobra, Viper mk4, DB scout, Asp scout, T6 and Keelback some much needed survivability. I don't think you can describe any of those ships as a serious threat to anything larger and slower, but it would give them a chance to escape before being shot to bits before their FSD even starts charging. Not only would it make smaller fighting ships have a place in the game again, it would maybe see people fly some different things.

After losing my Cobra several times yesterday I went back to my home system and started scrounging around in the hangar. People indiscriminantly shooting up everyone like that annoys me, but at a station there is not much you can do as a lone commander if the station itself doesn't deal with it. However... in supercruise it is a different story. Long ago, I had great fun interdicting would be gankers with my Cobra, and then just flying away from them, over and over again. However, as the Cobra is no longer up to the task, under a dusty tarpaulin in the hangar I found this thing:

9mxgmwyt7w3y.png

This is "Trollwyld näbbad". I think it was the third ship I bought, but when it turned out that it could not handle 3 rails heat-wise I put it in mothballs. Now, I've taken it out again and put enchanced drives on it. It already does 680 m/s (with only grade 1 dirty drives!) and has shield strength enough to survive at least one encounter with anything. The plan is to strip it down to just engines, a shield and an interdictor and then mod the shit out of it. Should easily hit over 700 m/s and as an added benefit jumps over 30 ly. Pretty funny, it actually feels like a courier now, fast and with great jumprange!

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Any E:D VR players? I just got my 1070 in and have been playing with the in-game settings to make it pretty. Any suggestions?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Any E:D VR players? I just got my 1070 in and have been playing with the in-game settings to make it pretty. Any suggestions?

I'm still using TrackIR, but I'm interested in what you wind up with. I've been stalling, but I'll probably order a Rift eventually.

• Options
        BasilBasil Registered User regular
        edited October 2016
        Six hundred and bluddy eighty? Guddamn.

And pretty, too.

...Damn it.

Is it essentially a fat Eagle? I liked my Eagle but it was pretty limited in range, capacity and not so fast as my Cobra, though comically nimble.

-Now that I peruse the stats I see that the Imperial Eagle is a fat Eagle. May pick one of those up to play with.

A fatter Imperial Eagle, then, with them medium hardpoints.

Basil on
        9KmX8eN.jpg
      • Options
        DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
        The idea of interdicting and then just leaving over and over is grade A trolling. This is EVE Online caliber stuff folks, bravo man. We need some funny videos of this stuff!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
      • Options
        Well, I'm not usually one to take multiplayer games seriously, I've many times role-played along and given cargo to pirates for example and been happy about the experience. However, those group who claim to be in it all for the Pvp, but in fact spend the majority of the time just seal-clubbing, really gets on my nerves. I'm sure most people who play E:D have read about the the smiling dog crew for example. I've seen those guys cry about combat-logging, only to use border-line cheats and exploits when it benefits them. I don't know about EVE online comparisons, but I may actually have used the phrase "not here to ruin the game, only your game" when messing with those types of people. Noone likes hypocrites, and even though I'm most times just happy to be left alone and do my thing, I must admit that extracting ganker-tears is enjoyable. Sad thing is, if Frontier had made reasonable crime-and-punishment mechanics, this would not be an issue.

The imperial eagle is also pretty nice (for being an iShip anyway!), and is actually (I think) the fastest ship in the game. Although those speeds are dependant on a very stripped down build of course. I am fairly certain that a serious combat-build on the courier would be slower than my Cobra, you lose speed FAST with enhanced drives as soon as you start adding weight.

• Options
        Got a tip off about some person's sister who went exploring and disappeared. I found the wreck, and the data core said that all 6 people had ejected and that they hoped someone would find their beacons. But I drove around the area and never found any escape pods. :(

5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        Wait, why did I just awesome Syngyne's post? That is a sad story! :(

• Options
        edited October 2016
        The only possible comfort I can derive from it is that there was actually a tiny outpost of some sort not far from the crash site, so maybe they were picked up by the inhabitants.

This is somewhat diminished by the fact that I shot the shit out of all their skimmers because I thought that was originally where the tipoff was leading me and got jumped when I drove through their security perimeter.

Syngyne on
        5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
        So, I'm still a little unclear on the point of building reputation, and I couldn't find much of a good answer--if I have a "allied" reputation with the Prismatic Imperium, and am still in the area of Cubeo, aside from there, where's a good place to buy weapons and other equipment? Is there a good place? Does the reputation matter when it comes to buying equipment?

• Options
        DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
        The point of reputation is to increase you access to offers on the mission board and getting access to better gear. There are some other benefits too like increased police response to your crime reports in friendly systems. Basically building rep is a big part of how you progress to better things and making friends.

• Options
        harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
        Got the Clipper up to 36 LY jump range unladen. I could do a lot better on the FSD mod but I only had 3 of the mats for it. Still, a huuuuuuge boost from the 21LY or whatever I had before.

B6yM5w2.gif
      This discussion has been closed.