As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job interview and personal information

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
No, I didn't reveal my entire life story in an interview. However, I am at a crossroads here and can't find any advice for this particular situation, so I'm hoping someone can help.

1. I have an interview with the state agency that does disability qualification for school-age kids. I'd just be the IT infrastructure guy, so not directly related to the diability part
2. One of my ex's kids has apraxia, which can cause huge developmental delays. He was helped out by this department in another state, and his progress has been remarkable. So I've been on the other side of the equation when it comes to IEP conferences, and it's a really awesome thing and I love the work they do.
3. I'm getting a full background investigation anyway

So, when it comes down to the question "Why do you want to work here", that situation right there is a HUGE motivating factor. Yes, I get to use my skillset in a professional and stable environment and get paid pretty decently, which is nice, but it's also a bit shallow. Knowing I'd be working for the people who this stuff, which also helps out my autistic nephew, is a huge bonus and feels like actual, dutiful work as opposed to selling something or making something to help other people sell something.

Should I mention these things? Should I just keep it to my nephew so the ugly "d" word doesn't pop up in the interview?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I would not put it on any forms/applications.

During an interview, I'd consider the person interviewing me. Like are they cold and uninterested or do they seem like a people person so would like that story?

Maybe say you have have a relative who currently benefits from a program like this and you are very impressed.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I would not put it on any forms/applications.

During an interview, I'd consider the person interviewing me. Like are they cold and uninterested or do they seem like a people person so would like that story?

Maybe say you have have a relative who currently benefits from a program like this and you are very impressed.

Well, no, I left all personal stuff like that out of all my forms. Cover letter, application, resume, etc.

And I do, my sister is getting help with her middle child through the program.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I don't see any issue with mentioning it when asked the "why do you want to work here" question during the interview. I think it shows that you have a passion for the work they are doing, and bonus points since it is an honest answer to a question that rarely gets one.

I don't know if it will help, but I don't see how it would be detrimental to your interview.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah mention it during the interview if asked that question. Having ties to the community in these types of situations helps a lot, especially with understanding mission statements and the big picture.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah mention it during the interview if asked that question. Having ties to the community in these types of situations helps a lot, especially with understanding mission statements and the big picture.

Well, I'm in a different state than my ex-step-kids, but doing a bit of research on the OK DOE site and NE DOE site reveals very little difference in their disability approaches/mission statements/values.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If your ex's step kids (?) are the same people you're referencing as your nephews, then don't do that. They're not your nephews. They're not really your anythings except some kids you know. I'd think referencing them as a close personal friends children would be better phrasing than trying to diplomatically parse your relationship without sounding complicated and possibly erroneous.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with being divorced, or saying your ex-wife unless you make it sound like there's something wrong with it by using odd wording.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    If your ex's step kids (?) are the same people you're referencing as your nephew, then don't do that. They're not your nephews. They're not really your anythings except some kid you know. I'd think referencing them as a close personal friends children would be better phrasing than trying to diplomatically parse your relationship without sounding complicated and possibly erroneous.

No, I'm still married to the woman who has the kid with apraxia. I've sat through the IEP meetings and seen the results. Hence they were my step kids, but ex-step-kids since separation/divorce proceedings. I'm still technically their legal guardian, I just don't live with them right now.

My sister ALSO has a child who is in the program for autism.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah "friends of the family" or "extended family" unless they're absolutely direct family like brother/sister/mother/father sort of situation

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If your ex's step kids (?) are the same people you're referencing as your nephew, then don't do that. They're not your nephews. They're not really your anythings except some kid you know. I'd think referencing them as a close personal friends children would be better phrasing than trying to diplomatically parse your relationship without sounding complicated and possibly erroneous.

No, I'm still married to the woman who has the kid with apraxia. I've sat through the IEP meetings and seen the results. Hence they were my step kids, but ex-step-kids since separation/divorce proceedings. I'm still technically their legal guardian, I just don't live with them right now.

That makes way more sense.

I'd refer to both then expand on them individually with an interesting anecdote about each and how they made you feel like working at this (service provider) seemed like something you felt genuinely good about doing.

Also, never refer to your job as, "Just <something>". Not to your co-workers, not to your bosses, not to yourself. Effort has an inherent value, don't dismiss that.

Edit: Reference them as two distinct members of your family, without bothering mentioning the divorce and stuff. You care about the children, you're allowed.

dispatch.o on
  • Options

That makes way more sense.

I'd refer to both then expand on them individually with an interesting anecdote about each and how they made you feel like working at this (service provider) seemed like something you felt genuinely good about doing.

Also, never refer to your job as, "Just <something>". Not to your co-workers, not to your bosses, not to yourself. Effort has an inherent value, don't dismiss that.

Well, that was for the thread.

I do actively enjoy technology and doing the work I'm applying for. Not even just because I'm good at it, but because everything about it is fascinating to me.

Doing this work for a department that does this kind of community service is actually exciting.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    In my experience people love it when even employees who do internal support work are excited about the org's overall mission.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    As someone who hires people in a fairly specialized field, I would prefer to hire someone inexperienced, but passionate and enthusiastic over someone whom is heavily experienced but hates the work. Motivation is a hard thing to teach.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, people.

I've decided to tell her about the kiddos. Now, time to prep for the interview...

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    State government loves passionate people. If you want to work there, and this is why, let them know.

To a cold and uncaring bureaucracy they'll see it as you will to take a beating before you'll leave the position, so you would, for example, be more likely to still work there for 5, 10, or even 15 years without a pay raise.

To the warm and gentle person doing the hiring you'll be that person that cares and is willing to put up with bullshit and go that extra mile to make the client happier, and their job easier.

And really, if showing a desire to be a part of something great and wonderful because of your personal experience is what keeps you from getting the job, would you really want to work there anyway? Part of the interview is also you making sure you're comfortable there, but I do admit that aspect matters a lot more when currently employed and interviewing verse when you're not employed and need a job right away.