Options

US Presidential Elections

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I thought online polls were pretty much trash?

They've been tolerable but perform worse than the really good phone pollsters in the US. In the UK they've been an utter disaster.

Except they were vastly more accurate for the European referendum than the Phone pollsters.

Polling is hard.

Without paying too much attention, it seems much harder in the UK. Which is weird since it's a smaller, less diverse country.

When anywhere between three and five parties are vying for seats in Westminster, it's really hard to translate national polls to seats won without a constituency-by-constituency polling.

Yup. Same issues in Canadian polling. National or provincial polls have to be heavily worked to get riding by riding results and the accuracy after doing so is questionable. But polling the actual ridings one by one is difficult and expensive, even though it's the data that actually matters.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Spoit wrote: »
    I thought online polls were pretty much trash?
    538 uses them and they're polling rockstars so I guess it's fine? They've got a article somewhere about it.

Can't find the article, but this one talks about how they use all polls but each poll is treated differently. The actual article is about the difference in results in this election between live polls and online polls.
    FiveThirtyEight generally takes an inclusive attitude towards polls. Our forecast models include polls from pollsters who use traditional methods, i.e., live interviewers. And we include surveys conducted with less tested techniques, such as interactive voice response (or “robopolls”) and online panels. We don’t treat all polls equally — our models account for the methodological quality and past accuracy of each pollster — but we’ll take all the data we can get.

This split, however, between live-interview polls and everything else, is something we keep our eye on. When we launched our general election forecasts in late June, there wasn’t a big difference in the results we were getting from polls using traditional methodologies and polls using newer techniques. Now, it’s pretty clear that Hillary Clinton’s lead over Donald Trump is wider in live-telephone surveys than it is in nonlive surveys.
    (nonlive also includes robocall polling)
    The article then looks at the differences in detail.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It's because parliament votes on the PM. Imagine if the house voted on the President. In order to know who would be president you would have to know who was going to win congress. And a single poll does not tell you that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Gross. Morning news is showing video of Trump at rallies with an intolerably smug smirk on his face saying "Do you think Hillary Clinton would be able to stand up here for an hour and speak?"

I wish I had taken a picture of his face. I would frame it and display it in an art gallery, enttitled "Toad Inhales the Odor of its Own Fart"

Edit: uggghhhh discussing Clinton's release of her medical records by showing a poll of how people don't trust her and how this episode shows you can't trust her instincts to be transparent

*sighs heavily*

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Hillary can do no right in the eyes of the press, and to try leads only to madness.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    When people ask me why I'm voting Hillary, I always tell them is because if her temperament.

Because anyone who can put up with this bullshit for 30+ years without choking anyone out is an icon of patience.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Don't we all long for Sunday afternoon when everyone was telling me Clinton's collapse would have no effect on the polls because the average voter is too stupid to pay attention to the news.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    NinotchkaNinotchka Registered User regular
    It's September, there are three debates yet to come, and no reasonable state-by-state scenario shows Trump with enough electoral votes to win. I'm not too worried about anything except Hillary returning to the campaign trail before she recovers sufficiently. We are still in the part of the election that's a marathon, not a sprint.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    CBS/NYT implemented their likely screen. In other news.
    Thirty-six percent of registered voters overall now say they are very enthusiastic about voting, the same as a month ago. But one disadvantage for Clinton is that enthusiasm among Republican voters has remained steady, while enthusiasm among Democrats has dropped. Among Democratic voters, the percentage that is at least somewhat enthusiastic has dropped from 77 percent in August to 64 percent today, while the percentage of Democrats who are very enthusiastic has dropped nine points – from 47 percent to 38 percent.

specifically, Trump supporters are more excited about voting than Clinton’s supporters are. Forty-five percent of Trump voters say they are very enthusiastic about voting, compared to 36 percent of Clinton backers who feel that way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-and-hillary-clinton-locked-in-tight-race-nationally-cbsnyt-poll/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=28813916

This has been a poor month.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    As a European who had successfully logged off of the race during the weekend, seeing the monday papers in Belgium head an article with "Hilary Clinton has pneumonia" something inside of me died.

Srsly, America, we know we've been going steady since that whole marshall plan thing, but if you fuck this up, I think we will need to start seeing other world powers...

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking christ.

He can't even express thoughts more complex than how things he likes are good-big and things he doesn't like are bad-big.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    My colleagues daughter has pneumonia. Coincidence? Yes.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Is it tho

Just raising questions

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Your daughter is secretly Hillary Clinton?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

The little girl Hilary hugged.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

The little girl Hilary hugged.

she will be Hillary's new host organism

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Do lizardpeople even get pneumonia?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Do lizardpeople even get pneumonia?

Trump's a lizard, Hillary's an Illuminati.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So Jill Stein's facebook page shared this, alleging Obama "sold" offices to donors.

I haven't looked into the emails much myself, but this sort of thing exacerbates my worry that a few more percentage points will be beyond even Obama's campaigning. He's already part of The Enemy among some sections of the left.

Has Bernie been doing much of anything to help out?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    As a European who had successfully logged off of the race during the weekend, seeing the monday papers in Belgium head an article with "Hilary Clinton has pneumonia" something inside of me died.

Srsly, America, we know we've been going steady since that whole marshall plan thing, but if you fuck this up, I think we will need to start seeing other world powers...

but I don't fancy any of the other ones.

our dating pool is really shallow.

we might have to move.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    my best friend sent me a thing about how Clinton has a doctor with an anti seizure injector that follows her around

I showed him a gif of the "doctor" turning it on and flashing the light on people and said "I didnt know seizure injectors came in flashlight variety now" and he went offline

I'm sad

override367 on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Like even if you don't think the under 50 population is going to show up in high numbers, you should be asking enough of them to get a reasonable sub-sample and re-weighting based on turnout projections. Which is what they do with racial minorities all the time. It's weird that they didn't. And 41% of the Ohio electorate was under 45 four years ago, so it's an important group!

You're making the bizarre assumption that they aren't weighting based on turnout projections that just happen to align with the massive drop in young voter enthusiasm and support for either major party.

But how would they know either of those things when they continuously fail to poll younger voters?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    my best friend sent me a thing about how Clinton has a doctor with an anti seizure injector that follows her around

I showed him a gif of the "doctor" turning it on and flashing the light on people and said "I didnt know seizure injectors came in flashlight variety now" and he went offline

I'm sad
    You may laugh, but these people are gonna win the election you know. :wink:

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What ever happened to the ads featuring President Camacho?

• Options
    If young people voted we'd have a different nominee so I think it's fair to suggest they're not really much of a factor

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

I'm sad

I can't believe I never noticed Tom Hardy strapped to the prow in this image of Clinton's official campaign vehicle

tom-hardy-mad-max-header.jpg

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Did the basket of deplorables thing hurt Clinton?

I'm thinking maybe it did but for me personally it was a "fuck yeah" moment and exactly what I wanted out of her. It amazes that it could help Trump especially with the news shockingly even asking the "is it true?" question and finding "yeah it's either true or it's being generous"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    This election is too damn depressing

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Unfortunately if we fuck this up, we'll be sleeping with the other world power.

6a00d83453bcda69e201bb0922d97e970d-600wi

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So Jill Stein's facebook page shared this, alleging Obama "sold" offices to donors.

I haven't looked into the emails much myself, but this sort of thing exacerbates my worry that a few more percentage points will be beyond even Obama's campaigning. He's already part of The Enemy among some sections of the left.

Guess.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This election is too damn depressing
    I hear New Zealand is nice, out of the way and of zero strategic importance. Maybe I'll go there.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Unfortunately if we fuck this up, we'll be sleeping with the other world power.

6a00d83453bcda69e201bb0922d97e970d-600wi

On the UK side this plays out the same way, except it's Jeremy Corbyn. Good news is he hasn't got a chance against PM May, who is literally Thatcher reincarnated.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Did the basket of deplorables thing hurt Clinton?

I'm thinking maybe it did but for me personally it was a "fuck yeah" moment and exactly what I wanted out of her. It amazes that it could help Trump especially with the news shockingly even asking the "is it true?" question and finding "yeah it's either true or it's being generous"

The problem is it got wrapped into the health things. The basket was a double edged sword in that while it might hurt Clinton it hurt Trump by changing the discussion to his followers. The health thing, inexplicably, does not have that same issue.

I mean, it's not like Trump just backed out of releasing his health report at the last second or anything.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    On a scale of Terrifies-Local-Children to 10 how did Trump's visit to Flint go?
    ggktyraymolx.jpg

Oh...

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

The emails don't do much to bolster support, no. Though I have absolutely no doubt that this happens on either side when they're office, having them floating around this close to the election doesn't help at all.

The Powell stuff is a mixed bag, since he hits at both sides of the isle. But from what I've read his Trump stuff is mostly relegated to calling him an idiot and a disaster, where the Hillary stuff gets into specifics and the electorate really doesn't need to be reminded that Bill is still fucking women on the side.

The RNC hacks could be damaging to Trump if they come out, because I assume that they would make the DNC ones on Bernie look tame in comparison, given how badly they didn't want Trump in once they realised he might actually win the whole thing.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The RNC email hack isn't going to hurt Trump, for a number of reasons.

Mostly, though, it's going to make him look like the victim of party collusion. Which is the opposite of the look it gave Clinton. That's a very different thing to sell a campaign narrative on.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm sure Assange will make sure none of the stuff that will hurt Trump will get released

• Options
    NinotchkaNinotchka Registered User regular
    The Powell leak also doesn't do many favors for Condi Rice's future in Trump's Republican Party, so there's another 'grownup' gone.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    On a scale of Terrifies-Local-Children to 10 how did Trump's visit to Flint go?
    ggktyraymolx.jpg

Oh...

Welp. I know what image is going to be in MY nightmares tonight D:.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ninotchka wrote: »
    The Powell leak also doesn't do many favors for Condi Rice's future in Trump's Republican Party, so there's another 'grownup' gone.
    I don't think she's done anything with the Republican Party since she left office anyway.

This discussion has been closed.