Options

US Presidential Elections

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    OK, de Blasio is making no sense. Says this was an intentional act, but at this point not connected to terrorism. Must mean no connection to an organization. Also says no connection to the New Jersey bomb has been found at this time.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I don't spend a lot of time on Facebook. No time, actually. But my mother showed me my sisters new profile pic, with a brand spanking new hashtag: #letgarydebate

Oh my fucking God my sister has gone full libertarian

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

bah gawd

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump promising to stop it, whatever it is, is Trump's promises in a nutshell.

I...I think he just said he's gonna end the world. If I'm following along with dangling modifiers and grammar and why are my eyes bleeding?

No, he's saying he's going to stop everyone from even thinking about attacking us. By being tough. And strong. So strong. And vigilant.

He will end terrorism against America. All of it. Forever. Whatever it is, he'll end it.

Unless it's some white guy with a gun or a homemade bomb going after those people. 'Cause that's not terrorism. No, that's just those people getting what's comin' to them. What they deserve.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you weren't even more scared of a Trump presidency realize that trump has a number of buildings with his name on them not just in the US but also in other nations, making them all targets and the reaction trump might have.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I don't spend a lot of time on Facebook. No time, actually. But my mother showed me my sisters new profile pic, with a brand spanking new hashtag: #letgarydebate

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

I'm really curious on what these People think that Gary can say that Trump or Hillary haven't already dealt with in the primary.

Gary Johnson is a guy who gets booed by His own party for saying threat unlicensed4 year old shouldn't be allowed to drive drunk on public roads. His big competition in His own primary was a white supremacist who decided to strip on stage for a dare.

And this it's the guy who thinks he can bring down Hillary?

This it's the guy who thinks he can bring down trump?

Good luck trying to pull off 30 minutes what the entire GOP establishment couldn't pull off with a 25 year head start.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

I'm really curious on what these People think that Gary can say that Trump or Hillary haven't already dealt with in the primary.

Gary Johnson is a hut whip gets bored by His own party for saying threat unlicensed4 year old shouldn't be allowed to drive drunk on public roads. His big competition in His own primary was a white supremacist who decided to strip on stage for a dare.

Good luck trying to pull off 30 minutes what the entire GOP establishment couldn't pull off with a 25 year head start.

If I ever get into a conversation with her that doesn't turn into her accusing me of being a self righteous know it all who doesn't understand economics I will let you know what she expects Mr Johnson would say in a presidential debate that would instantly garner the support of millions of latent libertarians with less than two months left to Election Day and finally take down the two party system

As it happens I speculate her support is really a combination of a) uncritically reading atlas shrugged and absorbing objectivist philosophy to justify her own selfish behavior, b) the conviction that because the two party system is grossly blunt, inefficient and unrepresentative, the best solution is to not be a part of your system, maaaan and c) the bitch sho do love her weed

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't think literally wanting another voice in the debate is that bad of a thought to have.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm not opposed to having 2nd tier parties in the first of five debates, or something like that. Not with three, though.

The problem is what do you do when the T3 parties want in too

VishNub on
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    Giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't think literally wanting another voice in the debate is that bad of a thought to have.

If there was unlimited air time, then sure.

But a 90 minute time slot is already super brief when you consider what's at stake here. And you're going to further divide that and dilute that for people who have no shot at winning? Yeah, no.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

pillow_kill_9156.jpg

shryke on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    How is trump cadence and pattern of speech okay? He talks like a fourth grader making some shit up at recess that threatens to beat up anyone who calls him on it. Even the teachers are sick of his shit, but no one is willing to tell him to shut the fuck up until he wants to act like a big boy.

He's one of greatest innovators in political oratory that we've seen in a while, when he's in his contemporaneous speech mode.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

It's not a bad thought on a shallow level but it is a painfully facile one once you get past the simplistic appeal for representation. The reasons:

1. At this point in the race presidential debates are the candidate's last chance to make their case to the electorate, not their first. If a third party candidate is not going into these debates with enough existing support to open even the slimmest of slimmest chances that their exceptional performance will garner enough additional support to shake up the race and become actually competitive, the presence of a third perspective only wastes time and attention (which is a scarce resource) on a candidate airing positions and promises that voters will never credibly have a chance to actually vote into office.
    2. The debates function to persuade voters at the margins to select between the dominant advocates that have coalesced for over a year at this point, not to play at picking, a la mode, some nuanced alternatives that distract from the stark differences between the two leading candidates who actually have a chance of being elected.
    3. There is an argument that the role of a third party candidate is to force the democrat and republican to confront issues on stage that their narrow corporatist allegiances would never allow them to address publicly. But this is incomplete; what third party candidates do is confront on PRIORITIES, not really new issues. Lacking any original competitive stances on the heavyweight issues most voters agree are national priorities--the economy, national security, education, etc--third party candidates only compete by demanding their pet issue(s) actually be at the top of the national agenda when there is no evidence of compelling support for those issues to be top of mind on the agenda at all. Johnson's dream of total social and economic deregulation does not exist within the universe of realistically supported policy positions by any compellingly large constituency, and even if it was, it's just an extreme amplification of what republicans are already offering. What do third party candidates really bring to the debate table then? I would do what my republican opponent said he would do, BUT HARDER?
    4. The presence of a third party candidate would just turns him/her into an attack dog on both the other candidates which theoretically is the moderator's job, but without the moderator's ostensible goal of giving voters a clear sense of the candidates' positions and ability to handle scrutiny in a live setting.
    5. And finally and most practically, in our odd electoral college system with most states winner take all, a hopeless third party candidate who by virtue of his current level of support and the time left to bolster that number up to even viability can only aspire to being a spoiler will risk the nightmare scenario: a President who is elected with a minority of the popular vote and a majority of the electoral vote. This is an ACTUAL realistic outcome and would qualify as a constitutional crisis. Bush v Gore settled NOTHING in terms of precedent of how to settle such a scenario--it was literally put to bed on a technicality about statutory time limits for recounts in Florida. This is obviously not a roadmap for dealing with a similar situation in the future, unless we're still ruffling through paper ballots with hanging chads these days.

Our system is far from perfect but this is the one we've got. The rules are bullshit, the pitfalls are many, the options are overly limited, the stakes are artificially inflated. But as a certain fictional Alexander Hamilton said: When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game. But you don't get a win unless you play in the game

#hamout

• Options
    I meant a la carte. That was a bit of a challenge to type up on mobile in the first place let alone attempt to edit it so my bad. You can get your personalized candidate's nuanced positions with a scoop of ice cream if you really want.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I meant a la carte. That was a bit of a challenge to type up on mobile in the first place let alone attempt to edit it so my bad. You can get your personalized candidate's nuanced positions with a scoop of ice cream if you really want.

ooooo oooo i want strawberry please!

• Options
    Arch wrote: »

ooooo oooo i want strawberry please!

What is this a fucking Cold Stone? You get to choose your flavor of candidate, not your goddamn mix-ins

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    How is trump cadence and pattern of speech okay? He talks like a fourth grader making some shit up at recess that threatens to beat up anyone who calls him on it. Even the teachers are sick of his shit, but no one is willing to tell him to shut the fuck up until he wants to act like a big boy.

He's one of greatest innovators in political oratory that we've seen in a while, when he's in his contemporaneous speech mode.

Did you mean extemporaneous or contemptuous? Because I can see either.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

Goddamit, the former.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    OK, de Blasio is making no sense. Says this was an intentional act, but at this point not connected to terrorism. Must mean no connection to an organization. Also says no connection to the New Jersey bomb has been found at this time.

I think that just means no connection to organized terrorism. It looks pretty amateurish early on, so it's probably just some random murdering asshole or an untrained self radicalized lone terrorist.

I'm sure Trump has an answer for all that though, and he'll tell us all about it if he gets elected.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

Gary Johnson is a hut whip gets bored by His own party for saying threat unlicensed4 year old shouldn't be allowed to drive drunk on public roads. His big competition in His own primary was a white supremacist who decided to strip on stage for a dare.

If I ever get into a conversation with her that doesn't turn into her accusing me of being a self righteous know it all who doesn't understand economics I will let you know what she expects Mr Johnson would say in a presidential debate that would instantly garner the support of millions of latent libertarians with less than two months left to Election Day and finally take down the two party system

As it happens I speculate her support is really a combination of a) uncritically reading atlas shrugged and absorbing objectivist philosophy to justify her own selfish behavior, b) the conviction that because the two party system is grossly blunt, inefficient and unrepresentative, the best solution is to not be a part of your system, maaaan and c) the bitch sho do love her weed

well it is a core tenet of objectivism that if you believe in something hard enough you can make it happen through sheer force of will

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Objectivism is anime?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Objectivism is anime?

Objectivism is believing that the free market is always right, unless it doesn't like something by Ayn Rand, in which case it's a giant conspiracy.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Goddamit, the former.

Just imagine if Trump-style public speaking is done by two or more front-runners in a future campaign. Just imagine a debate with a few of them against each other.

It'll probably devolve into multiple parallel separate single-player games, rather than any kind of dialogue (let alone debate), but it's fun/mind-bending to imagine.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

Gods, I'm all for the preservation of literature even the horrible stuff but at the very least Rand books should probably have a warning label.

Caution: The views discussed within are not based on reality. Please do not use them as an excuse to be awful.

• Options
    Atlas Shrugged is the rare crime against both humanity and literature.

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

Goddamit, the former.

Just imagine if Trump-style public speaking is done by two or more front-runners in a future campaign. Just imagine a debate with a few of them against each other.

It'll probably devolve into multiple parallel separate single-player games, rather than any kind of dialogue (let alone debate), but it's fun/mind-bending to imagine.

He's such a basket case that it's easy to miss that he's more engaging than 90% of politicians out there doing their drunken impressions of Kennedy and Reagan. And weeee willlll blah blah here you insert pregnant pause that's really a stillborn. Just put a gun in my mouth why don't you.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Clinton ad about veterans was in pretty heavy rotation during ESPN's college football games today. At least in Michigan, but I think it's actually national.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry for lack of context when I posted that, but if this is actual legit terrorism it's going to affect the election. This is going to be a thing. At this point the best we can hope for is that somebody accidentally put a hand grenade in the garbage.
    Pretty much.

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/eight-people-taken-hospital-after-minnesota-mall-stabbings-n650081
    Eight people were hurt in a knife rampage at a Minnesota mall in which the suspected attacker made references to Allah, authorities said.

The suspect was shot dead by an off-duty police officer, during the attack at the Crossroads Mall in St. Cloud that began at around 8 p.m. local time (9 p.m. ET), St. Cloud Police Chief Blair Anderson told reporters.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    pfft, only eight injured? and a knife?
    amateur.

(This site lists seven incidents in the past week, with a total of 13 killed and twice that many injured, and I'm not even counting the six shootings on 9/11.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    amateur.

(This site lists seven incidents in the past week, with a total of 13 killed and twice that many injured, and I'm not even counting the six shootings on 9/11.)

BUT HE SAID ALLAH!

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    amateur.

BUT HE SAID ALLAH!
    And thus it will be talked about...

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man I tried to read Atlas Shrugged once, and I just couldn't do it. The "characters" are so shallow they make cardboard cutouts look four-dimensional, the plot is asinine and the themes, such as they are, are just flat out repugnant. It really fits right in with Donald Trump and his outlook on life, and that is just terrifying.

Donald Trump is the sort of man who will search for every single tiny flaw in a system, and then ruthlessly exploit that flaw for his own gain. He will then brag about doing so, and expect to be cheered for it. This is not the sort of man I want in charge of anything, much less the country I live in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Until there is evidence of it being terrorism, I'm glad he's not calling it terrorism.

An intentionally set bomb is not in and of itself terrorism.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Man I tried to read Atlas Shrugged once, and I just couldn't do it. The "characters" are so shallow they make cardboard cutouts look four-dimensional, the plot is asinine and the themes, such as they are, are just flat out repugnant. It really fits right in with Donald Trump and his outlook on life, and that is just terrifying.

Donald Trump is the sort of man who will search for every single tiny flaw in a system, and then ruthlessly exploit that flaw for his own gain. He will then brag about doing so, and expect to be cheered for it. This is not the sort of man I want in charge of anything, much less the country I live in.

Trump is the ultimate Randian hero.

He puts his name on everything and acts in his own self-interest. One of the recurring themes of Atlas Shrugged is that the Gulchers name their companies after themselves to showcase human individuality.

And he does everything he can to destroy modern society, but he does it for personal gain, which somehow makes him the good guy rather than a stereotypical movie villain.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Lawd in heaven above

Dr jeezy heezy mccreezy

Ask her why she wants to eliminate the minimum wage
    edit
    Also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJkrCBZNL6c

Usually libertarianism is skin deep but attacking directly gets people's back up. I've found getting the "well I don't want to get rid of that" response or showing them Libertarianism is more cartoon villain than anything noble helps.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My favorite detail of insanity in Atlas Shrugged is the guy who gives away that he's modern Aristotle because he's so extremely skillfully wiping the bar counter at the diner where he works incognito.

Okay.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    amateur.

BUT HE SAID ALLAH!
    And thus it will be talked about...

but he didn't have a gun and no one died so maybe not

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Terrorism requires a political goal

until we find one it is not terrorism

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Funny thing is, Libertarianism is despised by the Trumpian hordes. A good part of the Libertarian ethos is the free market, which implies the free movement of labor and open borders. So, a good chunk of them are former libertarians.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Terrorism requires a political goal

until we find one it is not terrorism

You think that the media or Trump care?

This discussion has been closed.