As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam and Max: Bright Side of the Moon, April 25th!

JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Sam and Max: Freelance Police!
As far as episodic games go Sam and Max has been the only game to really deliver new episodes in a timely manner while still keeping it relatively fresh. There is a bit of repetition but overall the episodes are all very playable and generally fun all around.

The last episode of Sam and Max season 1 comes out tomorrow. I've got a bit of info for those of you who have no idea about it.

What is it called?
Sam and Max: Episode 6, Bright Side of the Moon.

What the hell is it about?
What started out as a local mind-control scheme has grown to global proportions, and Sam & Max are off to the moon to save the entire planet from a lifetime of hypnotic enslavement. But when chaos collides with tranquility, have the Freelance Police finally met their match?

When is it out?
April 25th... Tomorrow... Do it!

Pictures? You bet!
ep6_unicorn.jpg
ep6_ride.jpg
ep6_moon.jpg
ep6_mole.jpg
ep6_lander.jpg

Website so I can find out more about this... "Sam and Max"

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/

So... Discussion about Sam and Max and episodic games... GO!

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
JamesDM on

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Way to get me prematurely excited...

Tomorrow for Gametap subscribers, May the 10th for those of us unwilling or unable (ie anyone not in America) to join up to Gametap.

Dick :P

Seriously though, more people need to be in on these, they are awesome pointy clicky fun and really have improved with each episode. I have not once regretted purchasing the full season.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are they going to collect all the episodes in a season after it concludes? Because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God a love that second screenshot. I really need to find and pick up the origonal Sam and Max

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are they going to collect all the episodes in a season after it concludes? Because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Season subscribers have been promised the full series on disc for the cost of postage once the season is over.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still haven't played Version 2.0. It's sitting on my HD waiting for me. I think I'll just wait for this one and play them back to back.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I still haven't played Version 2.0. It's sitting on my HD waiting for me. I think I'll just wait for this one and play them back to back.

I actually got caught up in work and didn't get the chance to play Abe Lincoln Must Die or Version 2.0, so I played them back to back... It was one of the greatest afternoons I've had since Fallout came out.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    edited April 2007
    I think I did the same with episodes 2 and 3. It felt more worth while than waiting for a month before the next chapter.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Reality 2.0

But yeah, the Season has been overall awesome so far. Some downers, some stupendous high-points (cooking without looking / "They're probably hiding a cow..") and a fantastic story that just sort of clicks into place has really made me glad about just straight-up buying the full season pass.

Can't wait for the disk version and the next Season.. Maybe with an upgraded Telltale Tool so it doesn't look as blocky at 1920..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't played any of them but I do plan on getting them when I fix my sound card.

On a related note, did they give up on Bone?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I wish that I could disable the subtitles before starting each episode.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah. The subtitles are so very distracting and I'm mentioning that in my episode six review.

So far so good though...fun episode.

I'm not sure it's better than Reality 2.0 yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I for one, hope for plenty of Futurama references if I ever get around to buying this

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah. The subtitles are so very distracting and I'm mentioning that in my episode six review.

So far so good though...fun episode.

I'm not sure it's better than Reality 2.0 yet.

:x I wish I had a single creative bone in my body when it comes to writing so I could review things. Drez I officially hate you.

On a good note, this being the last episode of the season it should be decidedly epic.

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm about 30 minutes in and the allusions and parodies thus far have had me laughing out loud.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    How was Reality 2.0 compared to Abe Lincoln Must Die?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    How was Reality 2.0 compared to Abe Lincoln Must Die?

I thought it was pretty cool. There is less running back and forth in the DeSoto and the ending is quite hilarious... or I thought it was anyway.

*not that this helps much as it's more of my opinion on the game instead of how it actually compares.*

JamesDM on

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man the Reality 2.0 ending is so awesome. Totally linear but I had a grin from ear to ear whilst playing through it.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm waiting for the full "season" to come out. I prefer to dig into things rather than get smaller portions over a longer period. I'm glad they've held strong to the episodic content, though. Real dedication to deadlines, which can be rare in the industry (unless it, you know, blows ass).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the full "season" to come out. I prefer to dig into things rather than get smaller portions over a longer period. I'm glad they've held strong to the episodic content, though. Real dedication to deadlines, which can be rare in the industry (unless it, you know, blows ass).

I guess the only thing that kind of sucks about waiting for the full season is that each game is its own individual story but they all have the same background and all tie-in to one another. Played over time they are great with the story being memorable enough and the time between each episode short enough that you won't forget the details. I'm sure you'll get just as awesome of an experience playing them all together though.

JamesDM on

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man the Reality 2.0 ending is so awesome. Totally linear but I had a grin from ear to ear whilst playing through it.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    In and of itself, Reality 2.0 is one of the very best graphic adventure games ever. Much better than Abe Lincoln Must Die!, which says a lot because ALMD! was fantastic too.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What other adventure games do you play Drez? Can you recommend anything? I'm currently playing through Runaway: A Road Adventure and I've already beaten Dream of The Turtle (The sequel)

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I know this question was directed at Drez and it isnt exactly the same kind of game but Syberia was all kinds of fun for me. Also, I'm sure I'm alone on this one but I try to stay away from any kind of FMV adventure games...

JamesDM on

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've seen ads in a couple comics for a Season One disc coming out relatively soon.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JamesDM wrote: »
    I know this question was directed at Drez and it isnt exactly the same kind of game but Syberia was all kinds of fun for me. Also, I'm sure I'm alone on this one but I try to stay away from any kind of FMV adventure games...

Sorry I was posting all over and playing Bright Side Of The Moon so I read Suds' post but didn't get to respond.

I was going to suggest Syberia. I haven't beaten them, but I found them fun.

Post Mortem is an investigative, conversation-heavy Noir-type game.

I'm not sure where Fahrenheit fits in...it's kind of an Action/Graphic Adventure hybrid, but I enjoyed the puzzles and whatnot even if the end was extremely surreal.

A game no one seems to know about is Delaware St. John...it's more in the Alida/Myst type games (you don't see your character, you see through his eyes) and it's kind of easy overall, but I liked the setting and it was obviously patterned after Gabriel Knight. Pretty good stuff, I thought, for an indie project...and I thought the voice acting was well done for not being high-production (I think the developers did the voices).

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've seen ads in a couple comics for a Season One disc coming out relatively soon.

Once the last episode is released there will be a CD version of the entire season, right now they are on a "You get every episode online when we release it then when we finish you will get the CD" deal.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    I finished this two days ago. I played through this one and Reality 2.0 all at once and it was a lot of fun.

Although Bright Side of the Moon seemed a bit shorter than the other segments it really felt like a Sam & Max finish to me. Completely over the top and everything I would have expected out of the last chapter in a Sam & Max game.

I wonder if Telltale will compile them into one game, so that you don't have to watch the credits after you beat each one.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Once the last episode is released there will be a CD version of the entire season, right now they are on a "You get every episode online when we release it then when we finish you will get the CD" deal.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1

I am pretty floored by the amount of bonus content they are putting on this disc. I was expecting something very bare-bones. Makes me that much happier to be a Season 1 subscriber. :^:

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bought Season 1 about 2 weeks ago, and have been playing 1 a night with at least a night or so inbetween. I just finished Reality 2.0 last night and will probably play Bright Side of the Moon on Sunday or Monday night.

I'm pretty happy with the length of the episodes (though the could have been an hour or so longer) as it seems to be a little less then 1 nights worth of play per episode. However, they all seemed rather too easy. Maybe if they had dummy items (that is, items that don't actually do anything) and npcs, the puzzles could have been more tricky. As it was, there was really only 1 logical solution to each one, most of them pretty obvious. Maybe that ties in with why I thought it was a little short, because I was able to breeze through the puzzles, even though I made a habit out of exploring every dialog tree and inspecting every item so I could hear the funny stuff they put in the game.

On the subject of the dialog, that was really made this a worthwhile purchase. I forget how many times I've laughed out loud at something Max has done or said, as well as the funny minor characters stuff.
    The war song and dance routine by the Secret Service Agent was hilarious

Hopefully the second season will be just as witty but I really am hoping for a slightly harder/longer game.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    I bought Season 1 about 2 weeks ago, and have been playing 1 a night with at least a night or so inbetween. I just finished Reality 2.0 last night and will probably play Bright Side of the Moon on Sunday or Monday night.

I'm pretty happy with the length of the episodes (though the could have been an hour or so longer) as it seems to be a little less then 1 nights worth of play per episode. However, they all seemed rather too easy. Maybe if they had dummy items (that is, items that don't actually do anything) and npcs, the puzzles could have been more tricky. As it was, there was really only 1 logical solution to each one, most of them pretty obvious. Maybe that ties in with why I thought it was a little short, because I was able to breeze through the puzzles, even though I made a habit out of exploring every dialog tree and inspecting every item so I could hear the funny stuff they put in the game.

On the subject of the dialog, that was really made this a worthwhile purchase. I forget how many times I've laughed out loud at something Max has done or said, as well as the funny minor characters stuff.
    The war song and dance routine by the Secret Service Agent was hilarious

Hopefully the second season will be just as witty but I really am hoping for a slightly harder/longer game.

I don't know, I've always hated dummy items in adventure games. I think the difficulty of these games was pretty good. I enjoyed going through an adventure game without having any frustrating running around using everything with everything else hoping it will advance the story moments.

Food on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is the closest thing to a thread I could find, so, rise from your grave, etc.

I'm having audio issues with the Season 1 disc.

The music doesn't play, replaced by lots of static, and sometimes the first few lines in dialogue skip.

None of the tech support resolutions on the website applied(lowering the acceleration, updating DirectX).

Any advice?

Oh, and I love the dialogue. The new voices took getting used to, but they'll do. I like Sam's. Max's... not quite so much.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Season One will be released for the Wii in Europe at Christmas, don't know about America.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Season One will be released for the Wii in Europe at Christmas, don't know about America.

What? What?!?

Fuckawesome.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Where did you find this info? I'm out of the loop as far as Wii software goes.

JamesDM on

• Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

Where did you find this info? I'm out of the loop as far as Wii software goes.

The guy at the Sam and Max booth at the Leipzig Games Convention told me.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg