Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blink recast in Fox's untitled X-men show, by Matt "Burn Notice" Nix. While Blink had a very minor role in DOFP Chung will have big feet to fill from Li Bingbing's performance.

https://news.marvel.com/tv/60179/jamie-chung-joins-cast-bryan-singers-untitled-marvel-project-fox/
    Jamie Chung will star in a series regular role as Clarice Fong, better known as Blink, a sarcastic and lively tomboy. Clarice’s naturally strong exuberance has taken a hit after a sudden and traumatic upheaval of her life. As she adjusts to the new people and places that are suddenly ‘home,’ Clarice is slowly becoming herself again. Blink is an established character from the X-Men comics with the power of teleportation.

JamieChungWeb-213x300.jpg

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Blink recast in Fox's untitled X-men show, by Matt "Burn Notice" Nix. While Blink had a very minor role in DOFP Chung will have big feet to fill from Li Bingbing's performance.

https://news.marvel.com/tv/60179/jamie-chung-joins-cast-bryan-singers-untitled-marvel-project-fox/
    Jamie Chung will star in a series regular role as Clarice Fong, better known as Blink, a sarcastic and lively tomboy. Clarice’s naturally strong exuberance has taken a hit after a sudden and traumatic upheaval of her life. As she adjusts to the new people and places that are suddenly ‘home,’ Clarice is slowly becoming herself again. Blink is an established character from the X-Men comics with the power of teleportation.

Ugh, Jamie Chung is not a good actress, but she keeps getting cast in things. Like, she couldn't fill Devon Aoki's shoes as Miho in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and Devon Aoki isn't exactly Meryl Streep, here.

• Options

Ugh, Jamie Chung is not a good actress, but she keeps getting cast in things. Like, she couldn't fill Devon Aoki's shoes as Miho in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and Devon Aoki isn't exactly Meryl Streep, here.

Chung's came a long way since her DragonBall days. Yeah, she isn't as good as Aoki (and that role would be tough for anyone to fill), but she'll do a serviceable job here.

• Options

Chung's came a long way since her DragonBall days. Yeah, she isn't as good as Aoki (and that role would be tough for anyone to fill), but she'll do a serviceable job here.

I dunno. She didn't exactly blow me away as Vicky Vale in Gotham. I was originally pro-Chung back in her Samurai Girl days, but she's shown very little range since. I think that Sucker Punch was when I soured on her. Emily Browning, Jena Malone, Abbie Cornish, and Vanessa Hudgens have all gone on to do some fun, smart roles, but Chung did... Once Upon A Time.

• Options
    edited February 2017

I dunno. She didn't exactly blow me away as Vicky Vale in Gotham. I was originally pro-Chung back in her Samurai Girl days, but she's shown very little range since. I think that Sucker Punch was when I soured on her. Emily Browning, Jena Malone, Abbie Cornish, and Vanessa Hudgens have all gone on to do some fun, smart roles, but Chung did... Once Upon A Time.

To be fair those are all top flight actresses, Chung is not. Too bad they couldn't get any better actresses at a slightly higher rung of capability.

edit: Is Hudgens in movie jail? She should be getting better jobs than her role on Powerless.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

To be fair those are all top flight actresses, Chung is not. Too bad they couldn't get any better actresses at a slightly higher rung of capability.

edit: Is Hudgens in movie jail? She should be getting better jobs than her role on Powerless.

Well, she is the second best part of Powerless, with the possible exception of Alan Tudyk's secretary.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I've been a super late mclateperson with the Netflix Marvel content. I watched Jessica Jones a couple months ago, enjoyed it, but only just this past week go around to marathoning Daredevil and Luke Cage. I like it all, but Daredevil really stands out to me as my favorite. It has everything to do with a detail that ends up missing from a lot of fiction that involves good guys beating up thugs; when Daredevil gets hit, especially hard, by a random thug, it actually affects him and stays with him in a way that could be expected. Plus, he actually has to put some work in to keeping some guys down. It's not a one-punch "okay now I won" affair. So it made the stakes higher and thus I fell in love immensely with the show.

I'm about to start my blitz on Agents of SHIELD (which I saw has a thread of its own), and I think there's just Agent Carter left. I dunno what to expect from the latter but Luke Cage and Jessica Jones each surprised me so I'm optimistic.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My only problem with Agents of Carter is that I have a sneaking suspicion if I did watch it I'd be like "Oh they're setting up what will happen in the movies/shows decades later but I already know that stuff" and I would get bored.

Though I do like the idea of international spies with tommy guns and shit

Kadoken on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    My only problem with Agents of Carter is that I have a sneaking suspicion if I did watch it I'd be like "Oh they're setting up what will happen in the movies/shows decades later but I already know that stuff" and I would get bored.

I can understand that apprehension since we live in a post New Star Wars Trilogy reality where Lucas screwed the pooch on blindsiding everyone with a surprise rather than be literal about everything.

But as I said, I'm holding on to optimism because I don't feel particularly let down by anything in the MCU. Well, except The Incredible Hulk but that was so early on and inconsequential to the big picture.

• Options
    Agent Carter is great. It kinda loses its way in the second season, but even as it's failing as an "Agent Carter of SHIELD" narrative, it's planting its flag on the hill with an amazingly feminist narrative and says, "Come at me, sister."

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Agent Carter is great. It kinda loses its way in the second season, but even as it's failing as an "Agent Carter of SHIELD" narrative, it's planting its flag on the hill with an amazingly feminist narrative and says, "Come at me, sister."

Agreed, I've been a fan of all the Agent Carter stuff, from the TV series to the One Shot.

I'll always love the One Shot for giving us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdv78HLbW0

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

I can understand that apprehension since we live in a post New Star Wars Trilogy reality where Lucas screwed the pooch on blindsiding everyone with a surprise rather than be literal about everything.

But as I said, I'm holding on to optimism because I don't feel particularly let down by anything in the MCU. Well, except The Incredible Hulk but that was so early on and inconsequential to the big picture.

Even Incredible Hulk was entertaining in a bland type of way, and had many good scenes. The biggest complaint I have about the movie is the Hulk vs Abomination fight at the end, felt fake and had no tension. And it went on for something like five minutes, which is ok during a Cap fight since he has some variety with his moves. Those two just did boring, predictable wrestling stuff.

Marvel really should start re-using the elements from the movie, they had some good things there. Like The Leader, put him on AoS or something.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Tip: don't watch Carter for the plot. As in, the plots are kind of dumb. Second season is probably better in that regard, though.

Also, the first few episodes of SHIELD are arguably the worst. So once you get past those, it's a near steady climb in quality up to the current episode.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Tip: don't watch Carter for the plot. As in, the plots are kind of dumb. Second season is probably better in that regard, though.

Also, the first few episodes of SHIELD are arguably the worst. So once you get past those, it's a near steady climb in quality up to the current episode.

AoS first glimpse of picking up is when Raina appears.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    As far as pilot episodes go, I didn't mind AoS' at all. It's second episode though was pretty quick to introduce a McGuffin though. I'll take further commentary to its thread.

About Agent Carter: How rooted in existing Marvel writing is it?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    As far as pilot episodes go, I didn't mind AoS' at all. It's second episode though was pretty quick to introduce a McGuffin though. I'll take further commentary to its thread.

About Agent Carter: How rooted in existing Marvel writing is it?

The second ep was goofy, but at least I felt like it had a clear villain to fight against. She should be bought back, she's a good actress and the character is perfect for HYDRA.

All you really need is know is seeing the first Cap movie. There are easter eggs and set ups, nothing extravagant.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Even Incredible Hulk was entertaining in a bland type of way, and had many good scenes. The biggest complaint I have about the movie is the Hulk vs Abomination fight at the end, felt fake and had no tension. And it went on for something like five minutes, which is ok during a Cap fight since he has some variety with his moves. Those two just did boring, predictable wrestling stuff.

Marvel really should start re-using the elements from the movie, they had some good things there. Like The Leader, put him on AoS or something.

The fight, for the time, was decent. Not great, but decent. They have come a long ways since then and would be able to do a much better fight now, both in terms of choreography and in terms of technology to make it look better.

They just really need to make a Hulk movie if they want it to be super interesting... not a Banner movie where the Hulk comes around to beat stuff up. That works much better in Avengers since Hulk/Banner are not the central character. They are just there floating around the central plot and conflicts.
    A real Hulk movie that works in the style of movies people expect from Marvel needs to be higher action. In that way I'd much rather see a Hulk Netflix series.

• Options
    edited February 2017

The fight, for the time, was decent. Not great, but decent. They have come a long ways since then and would be able to do a much better fight now, both in terms of choreography and in terms of technology to make it look better.

They just really need to make a Hulk movie if they want it to be super interesting... not a Banner movie where the Hulk comes around to beat stuff up. That works much better in Avengers since Hulk/Banner are not the central character. They are just there floating around the central plot and conflicts.
    A real Hulk movie that works in the style of movies people expect from Marvel needs to be higher action. In that way I'd much rather see a Hulk Netflix series.

I've yet to see Marvel being ready to crack this despite the obvious being in their face the whole time, for literally decades (in the comics and cartoons). Make Hulk himself a full character, they seem weirdly inclined not to do to take this route.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So I've been a super late mclateperson with the Netflix Marvel content. I watched Jessica Jones a couple months ago, enjoyed it, but only just this past week go around to marathoning Daredevil and Luke Cage. I like it all, but Daredevil really stands out to me as my favorite. It has everything to do with a detail that ends up missing from a lot of fiction that involves good guys beating up thugs; when Daredevil gets hit, especially hard, by a random thug, it actually affects him and stays with him in a way that could be expected. Plus, he actually has to put some work in to keeping some guys down. It's not a one-punch "okay now I won" affair. So it made the stakes higher and thus I fell in love immensely with the show.

I'm about to start my blitz on Agents of SHIELD (which I saw has a thread of its own), and I think there's just Agent Carter left. I dunno what to expect from the latter but Luke Cage and Jessica Jones each surprised me so I'm optimistic.

The important thing to note about AoS is that it takes more than half of the first season to sort of find its legs. Think of it as the buildup of a Whedon avalanche - there re a lot of things being set up that have no immediate payoff, but start paying off BIG TIME half a season or more later.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I would say that a few of plots have good payoffs while most have good setup but very underwhelming or just crap payoff.
    Ward being Hydra and Skye being Inhuman are good. Coulson's mysterious drawings, Whitehall, Boat SHIELD, ATCU, etc. are bleh.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Anson Mount, the lead guy on the former AMC show Hell on Wheels, is cast as Blackbolt for Inhumans. Never seen any of the stuff he's been in but he's a few years older than that casting call sheet showed for the leads (44 as opposed to the 30-40 range).

• Options
    Wait what? The Inhumans are getting their own thing for the MCU? A film or Netflix series?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Pretty sure was a movie but it recently got turned into a show? Not sure

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's a shorter (I think 8 part) series with the first two episodes being a 2 parter that will get a limited cinema release. Not Netflix, but I think ABC in the US?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Wait what? The Inhumans are getting their own thing for the MCU? A film or Netflix series?

They're getting the first two episodes premiering in IMAX theaters September 1st 2017, and then a full run TV show on ABC September 26th.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I believe the current word is that it's a show but the initial episodes will be aired at IMAX theaters or something?

Fake edit; Here we go.
    The first two episodes will be shot entirely using IMAX cameras (which makes that IMAX launch make a little more sense) and that footage for more episodes will also be shot in IMAX, including sequences on the Moon, which is the comic book team's traditional base of operations. Roel Reine will direct the first two episodes, and those are the ones that will play in IMAX theaters for two weeks in September.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    It's really exciting that Marvel has been going so far beyond the bounds of the most-popular names and simply recycling them over and over (I'm looking at you Spider-Man). I can't wait for the Inhumans, again something I didn't know much about as a kid.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Agent Carter was great when you realize they 100% nailed the 40s style pulp comic book feel.
    If you go in expecting modern dramatic tv you will be disappointed. But go in looking for that fun ultra colorful old hollywood 40s style you'll love it.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Agent Carter was great when you realize they 100% nailed the 40s style pulp comic book feel.
    If you go in expecting modern dramatic tv you will be disappointed. But go in looking for that fun ultra colorful old hollywood 40s style you'll love it.
    I was a film student and that never went away since. I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of it. :)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spidey might be the most valuable Marvel property, he's a merch machine as far as kids are concerned. That and his whole schtick is quippy nerdy high school kid sells itself.

I really feel like Fox has a chance to do something amazing with Wolverine now that they are kinda soft rebooting X-Men again. In the 90's Wolverine was killing it (and he was on every cover of Wizard and ToyFare). They need to do the yellow (or brown) suits justice and make him just a short hairy ball of hate. Logan gives me hope they're finally willing to take the training wheels of and do more R-rated hero flicks.

Because he's the best at he does, and what he does isn't very nice

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Hey, here's another one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

• Options
    They can stop with the hard sell, I'm already going to see that movie.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They can stop with the hard sell, I'm already going to see that movie.

Kinda wish I'd skipped this one, mostly for the
    Nebula reveal

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Holy Shit, Gamora actually got a line, and it looks like she might actually do something.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Hey, here's another one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

Mantis is starting to grow on me. The character never really interested me in the comics, but here she seems cool.
    Is Nebula joining the Guardians? More likely it's a temporary alliance. Karen Gillen hasn't lost her edge.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is it just my imagination, or is Nebula's coloration looks a lot more pronounced than from the first film? The difference between the blue and purple, I mean.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Is it just my imagination, or is Nebula's coloration looks a lot more pronounced than from the first film? The difference between the blue and purple, I mean.

It's not your imagination. This is what she looked like before
    latest?cb=20140219231146

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

She's a cyborg. Maybe she had some work done.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The previous trailer was better but Guardians isn't a hard sell.

What does worry me is that it looks like they are definitely Minion-izing baby groot