As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Are kobolds the explanation for mice, way back when? Like before we had decent science?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd have left them candle

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They are going to remaster the Ghostbusters game. Boo.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wait, are you displeased that they are remastering it, or are you a ghost?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    They're remastering the Ghostbusters game! YAY!
    *proton pack powering-on noise*

• Options
    Also it's one week and a day before the 35th anniversary of the first movie and I'm going to Los Angeles to hang out on the Sony Pictures Studio lot with a few thousand people. We're gonna visit the Biltmore Hotel and stuff. Oooooh Spoooky!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    didn't people back in the second Dumb Ages (this is the... 6th Dumb Age, I think) think mice just spontaneously grew out of rotting straw?

• Options
    didn't people back in the second Dumb Ages (this is the... 6th Dumb Age, I think) think mice just spontaneously grew out of rotting straw?

Some definitely thought that maggots spawned from rotting meat until it was proved they didn't.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Salamanders came from fire.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have it on somewhat good authority that shadows grow out of cracks.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also you can see secrets if you look through a hole in a donkey's ear

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I tend to wake up slowly. Like, I'll wake up, and fall back asleep a couple times. This is the period when I really remember my dreams.

someone handed me a dead bird, but it lifted its head and started crying blood and then... you know those slow-mo videos of a water balloon popping and it holds the shape of the balloon for just a second?

the bird turned into blood and it filled my cupped hands. It wasn't regular blood, it was more like... fish blood? glutinous.

I woke up after that

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I had a night terror the other night where I woke up and looked over at my wife, who was sitting up in bed and had Cthulhu tentacle mouth

The weird thing is either a dream right before that or right after that kind of warned me it was going to happen

My wife said it was my worst one ever. I only have them a couple times a year but apparently this one I was very very scared for about 30 seconds before going back to sleep.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Salamanders came from fire.

They also use it
    hgksz7xak83h.png

• Options
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

That bathroom door needs a touch up and some maintenance.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I had a night terror the other night where I woke up and looked over at my wife, who was sitting up in bed and had Cthulhu tentacle mouth

The weird thing is either a dream right before that or right after that kind of warned me it was going to happen

My wife said it was my worst one ever. I only have them a couple times a year but apparently this one I was very very scared for about 30 seconds before going back to sleep.

That wasn't a dream, you're married to a Cthulhu. She has deemed you worthy of living.....for now.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Some definitely thought that maggots spawned from rotting meat until it was proved they didn't.

That was because they were mostly going with what Aristotle said and had a lot to do with his beliefs about biology in general.
    Animals and plants come into being in earth and in liquid because there is water in earth, and air in water, and in all air is vital heat so that in a sense all things are full of soul. Therefore living things form quickly whenever this air and vital heat are enclosed in anything. When they are so enclosed, the corporeal liquids being heated, there arises as it were a frothy bubble.

• Options
    Oh, your brain can mess with you. Never underestimate it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Most of the fiction I have read where a person marries a cosmic horror suggests that is a great thing that results in a romantic comedy.

• Options
    When did people get a concept of farming?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Oh, your brain can mess with you. Never underestimate it.

Speaking of, I wish my quarterly sleep paralysis visits were as cool when I was a kid, when I saw shadow people and shit holding me down, instead of now, where its just a feeling of not being able to breath, open my eyes, paralysis, and full on panic attack until I wake up or go back to sleep.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

That was because they were mostly going with what Aristotle said and had a lot to do with his beliefs about biology in general.
    Animals and plants come into being in earth and in liquid because there is water in earth, and air in water, and in all air is vital heat so that in a sense all things are full of soul. Therefore living things form quickly whenever this air and vital heat are enclosed in anything. When they are so enclosed, the corporeal liquids being heated, there arises as it were a frothy bubble.

I hate thinking about the people who wrote the early texts on biology. They were so smart, and they were trying to put so many patterns together, and they just had no idea how many pieces they had missing from that particular jigsaw.

Sorry, buddy. If you'd gone into geometry like your mom was always nagging you to, you'd have gone down as one of history's great geniuses, because that's about what you had the data to figure out back then.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    when I was a little boy, my mom had gotten this old book that she read to me, it was about Kobolds

not like, D&D Kobolds, but the house spirits

it was a story of a Kobold who watched over several generations of a family until they forgot the old ways and then he like, left a bunch of Home Alone traps around and ditched them

it was a weird message, but it did make me think that houses just came with Kobolds, and I'd leave ours bits of bread and stuff

I dunno about the Kobold, but the mice loved it

I absorbed a lot of faerie folklore as a little kid. The main thing I took from it all was, "Listen, this stuff is legit dangerous; but as long as you leave it alone and/or treat it with respect you'll be fine."

Which is a pretty useful thing to have baked into your psyche, it turns out!

(Also, knowing several ways to trick faeries or get them to fuck off can't hurt :razz: )

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I think its hilarious how the deadliness of folklore creatures are proportionate to how easy it is to defeat them.

Sure this demon will rend you in twain, but if you throw some common ass salt in its face he will leave you well enough alone. :rotate:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I mean that's probably a belief from the time when salt was literally worth it's weight in gold, right?

I always assumed that was the symbolic significance of salt in most superstition. It was at one time a hot commodity so obviously it was important!

• Options
    When did people get a concept of farming?
    Over 10k years ago is the best guess. But there is evidence the great one during the iron age was the 3rd go at it

• Options
    There's also some evidence of, like, really small scale agriculture beginning as early as 23k years ago in parts of the middle east!

• Options
    There's also some evidence of, like, really small scale agriculture beginning as early as 23k years ago in parts of the middle east!

They don't really know when farming started as I put the 10k guess as they know it started but there are things they find that pre date that by thousands of years during the Paleolithic

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I kinda imagine farming was originally a bit like cat domestication.

We didn't really start farming, we probably settled around large plots of crops and tended them. Slowly we learned how to expand and eventually move them elsewhere. Basically the plants domesticated us first.

• Options
    Heck I think I remember reading somewhere about a theory that nomadic people would specifically encourage the growth of useful crops and plants along their routes, which is a fascinating idea, just encouraging nature to do the agriculture for you I guess? I can't remember where I read it, I'll try to find it

• Options
    The latest primitive technology shows off the arrowroot tubers which were planted by Polynesian sailors. So the theory of natural farming probably is how we first started it

• Options
    I mean that's probably a belief from the time when salt was literally worth it's weight in gold, right?

I always assumed that was the symbolic significance of salt in most superstition. It was at one time a hot commodity so obviously it was important!

Also, salt is a preservative and has symbolic significance in Christianity because of that.

Also also, there's a myth that you can escape a vampire by scattering a handful of seeds, because he (or she) will be compelled to stop and count them.
    2ot3ugh9buyb.png

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I was gonna say, salt is a preservative, and meat or produce that had been cured by salting it would preserve people through the winter. Salt regularly saved people's lives, it's only natural that it is a purifying agent that can ward off demons as well as sickness and starvation.

Same deal with garlic. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. Keeping garlic around, eating it when you were sick or using it in a poultice on a wound would literally save people from death. So of course it would also ward off evil.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also salt was never literally worth it's weight in gold

it was worth quite a bit, especially in antiquity, but never anywhere close

• Options
    Is bull cheese worth its weight in gold?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I think its hilarious how the deadliness of folklore creatures are proportionate to how easy it is to defeat them.

Sure this demon will rend you in twain, but if you throw some common ass salt in its face he will leave you well enough alone. :rotate:

Yeah. If there are spirits and demons, they don't seem to be that powerful. It is more of a mind game.

It is like when people get scratched when they go to haunted places. I mean, that's it?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote: »

Yeah. If there are spirits and demons, they don't seem to be that powerful. It is more of a mind game.

It is like when people get scratched when they go to haunted places. I mean, that's it?

Yeah, but how terrifying would it be to be physically harmed by something you can't see?

As far as faeries are concerned, though, I think most of the really dangerous ones are supposed to lure people to their deaths rather than killing them outright. A lot of the legends boil down to "stay on the path, dumbass; I don't care what you think you saw in the trees."

• Options
    IDK man, bain sidhe and leanan sidhe are fucking terrifying, and god help you if you can't find cold iron and have to deal with one.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    IDK man, bain sidhe and leanan sidhe are fucking terrifying, and god help you if you can't find cold iron and have to deal with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBo83bPyOE

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Why? (Honest curiosity! According to Wikipedia, one can't do anything to you without your consent, and the other is frightening mostly because she's a harbinger of death... which probably just means Wikipedia has the tame versions :biggrin: )