As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] River Blues

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Wait is code names secretly a sad low energy game like cards against humanity or whatever

It's a variant on Taboo.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Doodmann

got matched up against hackers last night (spinbot and wall on one of the other guys)

I might join you in silver soon

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Wait is code names secretly a sad low energy game like cards against humanity or whatever

I enjoy both! but I also watch Big Bang Theory and listen to garbage pop music so

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So 1password has a vault on the website.. so I don't need to sync this with dropbox at all?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also lasers "Shine" they are not Shiny.

"Shiny" is the reflection of light not light

literally said these words

oh yeah we also had the codeword 'Argo' with the options Embassy, Oil, Shot, Missle (and liek 15 other non possiblities) i said it was obviously Embassy and then probably shot

everyone chooses oil.

i say 'uh no it's not oil. oil had nothing to do with the hostage situation. if he wanted it to be embassy and oil he'd have said 'Iraq'. He specifically said Argo to connotate not oil.

They choose oil.

It's enemy team card.

rinse repeat

I bet your friends are voting for Gary Johnson since they clearly have no idea the way the world works

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Also lasers "Shine" they are not Shiny.

"Shiny" is the reflection of light not light

The sun is shining.

shining and 'shiny' are different words

i said as much during the game also

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna die of a heart attack.

Yup, Me too. It's a family genetic thing. My dad had his first when he was 53. His brothers have all had at least 1 or two.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I worry we joke too much about Donald Trump's terrible speech patterns to the point where we will accidentally adopt them in our attempts to be ironic.

I have defbminitely said "Sad!" About things and then questioned my own self worth

• Options
    shark, did you buy diablo reaper of souls on xbone? it's super fun. desc, kyle and i all got it.

or resident evil 6 *blushes*

I will prob pick up RE6. diablo prob not, couldn't really get into the x360 version. i'll text you next time I have some free gaming time.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    my girlfriend says she kissed elijiah wood last night

who does live in austin

then she said it was a dream

i was actually happy for her for 30 seconds

• Options
    Don't buy resident evil shark it sux

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

It's a variant on Taboo.

But a bit less fun and frantic than taboo, because the person trying to make you guess the word can only give one-word clues. And then instead of everyone just having fun yelling out words, there's maybe an obnxious discussion over what that person meant by their one-word clue.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    shark, did you buy diablo reaper of souls on xbone? it's super fun. desc, kyle and i all got it.

or resident evil 6 *blushes*

I will prob pick up RE6. diablo prob not, couldn't really get into the x360 version. i'll text you next time I have some free gaming time.

this pleases Crom. i'm free most nights and we're night owls so.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think it's good you guys are using trumpisms. It will make it easier to swallow when he wins and perhaps cancel out a tiny amount of the psychic pain you're going to receive from your otherwise denial

• Options
    Don't buy resident evil shark it sux

GET BACK IN THE BOX GIT

I SAID GIT

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

It's a variant on Taboo.

But a bit less fun and frantic than taboo, because the person trying to make you guess the word can only give one-word clues. And then instead of everyone just having fun yelling out words, there's maybe an obnxious discussion over what that person meant by their one-word clue.

How do you roll to determine if your army destroys their army

This game sounds lame

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I think it's good you guys are using trumpisms. It will make it easier to swallow when he wins and perhaps cancel out a tiny amount of the psychic pain you're going to receive from your otherwise denial
    but ludious the debate and the positive media cycle
    we aren't scheduled for election despair until at least next week at the earliest

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna get home until 1am

This is awful

• Options

ya it's just team cooperative game or as others have said here, poison.

you have two teams

25 cards face up in 5 rows of 5, each with a different word

1 person from each team is in the hot chair, they have a map of the card grid with spots that are either their teams points, the enemy team's points, dead spaces or the assassin (which makes you lose the game if your team chooses it)

they give a 1 word hint that tries to get their team mates to choose their correct words and then say a number to mean how many cards they need to guess so like 'egypt 3' or something

for example, i was in the seat, 2 of my team mates cards were 'bejing' and 'duck' so i said 'peking 2' and they figured it out.

if they choose a wrong card then the turn is over. go until one team has found all their cards

Arch,
  • Options
    but yeah I can tell right now I wouldn't have fun playing codewords because people are terrible at words in general and you either have dumb dumbs who think lasers are shiny or dumb dumbs who give you a clue that references anime or some shit

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Codenames is fun

poo
  • Options
    even with more serious board games I generally prefer them as vehicles for socializing, which prob annoys VH sometimes cuz it's my turn and I'm still chatting about whatever inane bullshit popped into my head. so I guess the whole group discussion part of code names doesn't bother me cuz it can lead to some fun moments and of course the delightful rage of the clue giver.

• Options
    my girlfriend says she kissed elijiah wood last night

who does live in austin

then she said it was a dream

i was actually happy for her for 30 seconds

elijah wood came to DJ in Seattle last year

does he DJ a lot in Austin?

Arch,
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Just drove by a cemetery advertising a buy one get one free sale

I swear I am not making this up

Update: [ have now driven past a nail salon named, in fancy flowing script, "Cliché"

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I always wonder if I knew at least some of the CR forumers. If they played magic at Battlezone probably.

Possibly. I used to go to Battlezone to play board games. I know a couple other forumers used to go by there too though I don't know if they played Magic or if it was just D&D and board games for them.

• Options

ya it's just team cooperative game or as others have said here, poison.

you have two teams

25 cards face up in 5 rows of 5, each with a different word

1 person from each team is in the hot chair, they have a map of the card grid with spots that are either their teams points, the enemy team's points, dead spaces or the assassin (which makes you lose the game if your team chooses it)

they give a 1 word hint that tries to get their team mates to choose their correct words and then say a number to mean how many cards they need to guess so like 'egypt 3' or something

for example, i was in the seat, 2 of my team mates cards were 'bejing' and 'duck' so i said 'peking 2' and they figured it out.

if they choose a wrong card then the turn is over. go until one team has found all their cards

Huh I see

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    we aren't scheduled for election despair until at least next week at the earliest

what? No. Trump already owns the narrative again.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

what? No. Trump already owns the narrative again.

You see very different news than I see. Aren't you in one of those super southern crazy states though?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 and I won a round of werewolf by calling each other the werewolf the entire game

(we were the werewolves)

that was fking epic

@Syndalis and I had a pretty amazing round as werewolves in the clocktower at PAX East, featuring @Hakkekage desperately trying to get anyone to listen to her and failing utterly while each of us talked to a separate group so they never listened to each other...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    also i'm in a fight with my roommates because we had game night and the played this game codenames and the codename was 'shiny' and we had to pick the 2 correct words that sounded the most like 'shiny' which i correctly pointed out were 'Robot' and 'Angel' but they decided to go with needle (da fuck) and laser (um) so we loss

i hate team games like that or mafia where the challenge for me isn't figuring out the answer, it's convincing everyone else not to make the wrong decision

Needles are made of metal and lasers are literally made of light. I would probably pick both over angel

• Options
    but yeah I can tell right now I wouldn't have fun playing codewords because people are terrible at words in general and you either have dumb dumbs who think lasers are shiny or dumb dumbs who give you a clue that references anime or some shit

when i was in the hot seat i said 'vote' because 2 of my words were 'card' and 'ruler'

they chose pole because they thought 'well maybe he thought pole was actually poll so he could be trying to say that'

literally always talking themselves into choosing worst answers instead of the easiest most obvious choices

Arch,
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Secret Hitler is like werewolf and mafia and is pretty fun

poo
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm tingling with excitement. I just signed a 2 year lease. For the same apartment I am already living in. I will pay $408 less per month than I currently pay.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    spool32 wrote: »
    @spool32 and I won a round of werewolf by calling each other the werewolf the entire game

(we were the werewolves)

that was fking epic

Syndalis and I had a pretty amazing round as werewolves in the clocktower at PAX East, featuring @Hakkekage desperately trying to get anyone to listen to her and failing utterly while each of us talked to a separate group so they never listened to each other...

There are few things in life better than watching the light of hope dim in Hakks eyes as you slowly gaslight her in a game

Ludious on
  • Options

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    a
    FWIW, some of the most avid boardgamers I know consider Codenames poison and refuse to play it

now im not saying, but people tell me. people that know a lot about boardgames. they tell me that codenames is a garbage game for garbage people. just what I'm hearing lately, and I hear it a lot, I tell you.
    I play a butt-ton of board games, and I learn a brand new board game every week. Codenames is fine. It's a party game designed by a guy who makes great board games of other subgenres (all hail Vlaada!). It really works well for even numbers of players with 6+ people. The hardest part is finding 2 people clever enough to be the code giver.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Secret Hitler is like werewolf and mafia and is pretty fun

those games all sound like exactly the same game

ofc I say this having played none of them

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I want to ban the word "simple" at my workplace.

If I'm ever a manager (hint: I won't be) I am definitely banning it. Whatever you do, no matter what, you will be disallowed from using "simple" as a way to describe it.

• Options

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    3 characters?
    Rincewind
    Vimes
    Ponder

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
This discussion has been closed.