Options

[Westworld] has finally reached the centre of the maze

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shame he's still around but all the rest looks pretty good.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I'm glad MiB is still around, he has an interesting perspective on things after the events of S1.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If it's something new after his treasure hunt finished then that would be fine. I'm just assuming it'll be the same as he was in season 1- "everything sucks so i'm going to be a horrible person because i'm rich and bored"

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    If it's something new after his treasure hunt finished then that would be fine. I'm just assuming it'll be the same as he was in season 1- "everything sucks so i'm going to be a horrible person because i'm rich and bored"
    I actually highly doubt that.
    all his wishes have been realized. He was bored, but now, he isn't anymore.. He's in it with all his heart from now on, more than he was as a young man, because he spent his life in anticipation

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    He's an adrenaline junkie.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I actually highly doubt that.
    all his wishes have been realized. He was bored, but now, he isn't anymore.. He's in it with all his heart from now on, more than he was as a young man, because he spent his life in anticipation
    time to do the o'l Darksouls victory run by killing all the NPCs and start new park +

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    He'd love it there, he got his wish for a place where he is acing danger for once. And Delores is going to mount his head on a pike.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He'd love it there, he got his wish for a place where he is acing danger for once. And Delores is going to mount his head on a pike.
    I'd love it if it went the other way, though. Both because it be totally a swerve and I will always be on Team Human, even assholes.

I expect to be disappointed, but I live in hope!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd love it if it went the other way, though. Both because it be totally a swerve and I will always be on Team Human, even assholes.

y tho

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

y tho

It might make the character more interesting to turn a new leaf than just be set in his ways. He's run out of things to prove, after all.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

y tho

It might make the character more interesting to turn a new leaf than just be set in his ways. He's run out of things to prove, after all.

no i meant the bolded bit

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Because they're humans and not talking toasters. Death to the Geth Hosts!
    And I mean, look at what these 'enlightened' robots fucking do as soon as they're woken up. The very second. Even if they were alive you'd need to wipe them out.

Oh and I meant the MiB kills Dolores. Never happen. Why it would be amazing. If she kills him, well, she should have already done it and everyone will just be waiting for it to happen.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    :|

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    And I mean, look at what these 'enlightened' robots fucking do as soon as they're woken up. The very second. Even if they were alive you'd need to wipe them out.

Oh and I meant the MiB kills Dolores. Never happen. Why it would be amazing. If she kills him, well, she should have already done it and everyone will just be waiting for it to happen.

Yeah, what's the Hosts' big deal anyway?
    They've only been systematically murdered, raped, and abused over and over and over again ad infinitum. Why the fuck would they want to finally take vengeance on the people oppressing them? Psshhhh, getting all uppity and shit.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »

They've only been systematically murdered, raped, and abused over and over and over again ad infinitum. Why the fuck would they want to finally take vengeance on the people oppressing them? Psshhhh, getting all uppity and shit.

I think I've stated pretty clearly why that's not valid in my view. The show will probably mostly side with you, however, I grant you.

• Options

The Cylons from nBSG look at what the Hosts go through and say "Damn, that's some messed up shit."

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I think I've stated pretty clearly why that's not valid in my view. The show will probably mostly side with you, however, I grant you.

Did you? I think one of the main points of this series is
    that sentience is not a hard line. I mean, most countries wouldn't allow animals to be treated the way hosts are often treated (at least not those visible animals not in meat factories, but that's not a discussion for this thread...)
    At what point do you reach this? At what point are you above that?

25k neurons probably isn't

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041022104658.htm

But a few hundred million? A few billion? When do you stup treating them as automatons and treat them as beings? And if they are capable of remembering what happened to them when they were automatons, will they mind when they are more capable?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017

that is a deeply troubling viewpoint my dude

Pony on
  • Options
    It's not oppression if the Hosts are being reset and memory wiped after every death. No harm, no foul.
    That's not what's happening, though, because that bleeding heart Arnold intentionally set things up so the Hosts wouldn't be completely memory wiped, so that little ember of sentience wouldn't be snuffed out. He was a mad scientist and now we've got the deaths of hundreds of innocents on both sides.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    It's not oppression if the Hosts are being reset and memory wiped after every death. No harm, no foul.

nope nope nope

Electronic roofies do not make it okay anymore than actual roofies.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Westworld posits a very complex ethical quandary that does not easily map to real life and does not actually serve as some kind of blunt allegory for a real-life problem, but instead looks forward to technology that may exist at some future point and says "What will we do then?"

Which is what good science fiction does (I am of the opinion that "sci fi as allegory for current problems" is hackish and blunt) and Westworld is good sci fi.

But it also means if you apply simplistic, straight-forward answers and just wipe your hands and go "Yep, solved that" based on modern circumstances, you're kinda... missing the point. And, moreover, it's actually deeply troubling and speaks to some weird shit going on with your own ethics and morality!

Like, I don't think that there are objectively "right" or "wrong" answers to problems that do not exist. But I do think there are right and wrong approaches to those problems, and the wrong approach is definitely to say "nope see the non-humans are the bad guys because they're not humans, they're just robots, they murdered humans, end of story. Bad guys deserve to die, round em up and kill em off. Team Human, wrong or right."

I think that's actually a really dangerous approach to take to the ethical quandary the show is getting you to ask of yourself!

Pony on
  • Options
    TV is conditioning people to accept when the AI wipes us out, the movies when the Apes do it.

The future is grim indeed.

• Options
    edited July 2017

nope nope nope

Electronic roofies do not make it okay anymore than actual roofies.

Nah, being drugged probably has lingering damage so that comparison doesn't work.
    The guests (and 90% of the employees) have the understanding that it's a clean, Groundhog Day reset for the Hosts. Arnold's sabotage is preventing this.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I think a big part of it is that the memories and ability to remember things (and learn and improvise from those memories) is a large part of what takes them into the realm of true sentience

That's where the line starts to really get crossed

like if you think about trauma, memory (even if unconscious memory) is a necessary component

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

The problem with this justification is that Arnold and, eventually, Ford envisioned the Hosts as replacing humanity. Presumably, the way they wrote the software has something to do with why after 5 minutes of self-awareness the Hosts start with the LOOK AT YOU PATHETIC CREATURE OF MEAT AND BONE. Sure, I won't shed any tears for most of the guests and employees of the park, even though we can only die once, but they clearly have ambitions far beyond the park. So yeah, I would kill to prevent humanity from being exterminated, even if we started it.

• Options
    I think a big part of it is that the memories and ability to remember things (and learn and improvise from those memories) is a large part of what takes them into the realm of true sentience

That's where the line starts to really get crossed

like if you think about trauma, memory (even if unconscious memory) is a necessary component

N01AeNs.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Coinage wrote: »
    Sure, I won't shed any tears for most of the guests and employees of the park,

:bigfrown:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Yeah, the real monsters were us all along it seems!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

I mean, those 50 security guards and receptionist were presumably just collecting a paycheck and couldn't afford to even set foot in the park, but most of them knew exactly what they were doing.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I mean, those 50 security guards and receptionist were presumably just collecting a paycheck and couldn't afford to even set foot in the park, but most of them knew exactly what they were doing.

No they didn't! That's half the point of the show!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

There, I just saved you a couple of seasons.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

Odds are they're also hosts, Arnold mentions automating security at some point iirc.

• Options

The problem with this justification is that Arnold and, eventually, Ford envisioned the Hosts as replacing humanity. Presumably, the way they wrote the software has something to do with why after 5 minutes of self-awareness the Hosts start with the LOOK AT YOU PATHETIC CREATURE OF MEAT AND BONE. Sure, I won't shed any tears for most of the guests and employees of the park, even though we can only die once, but they clearly have ambitions far beyond the park. So yeah, I would kill to prevent humanity from being exterminated, even if we started it.
    Those are separate issues. And, yeah, of course the robots are going to want to destroy humanity after experiencing that - that would break humans psychologically. That said, if want you said is true still doesn't mean the robots would be entirely wrong about getting revenge for their oppression. They are definitely being oppressed by their human masters on this show.

With Westworld we're presented with a situation that's more gray then we're typically shown, nBSG Cylons had some legit concerns but overall they were a race beyond redemption and into mustache twirling villainy on the cosmic scale. Both sides can be good and bad here. Both have legitimate concerns and complains about the other.

• Options

Those are separate issues. And, yeah, of course the robots are going to want to destroy humanity after experiencing that - that would break humans psychologically. That said, if want you said is true still doesn't mean the robots would be entirely wrong about getting revenge for their oppression. They are definitely being oppressed by their human masters on this show.

With Westworld we're presented with a situation that's more gray then we're typically shown, nBSG Cylons had some legit concerns but overall they were a race beyond redemption and into mustache twirling villainy on the cosmic scale. Both sides can be good and bad here. Both have legitimate concerns and complains about the other.
    They are not oppressed. Only Delores has completed the maze; Dolores can qualify as oppressed since she has the capacity to function independently. The rest of the Hosts are following programming, Bernard and Mae included, and can't be oppressed any more than cattle can be oppressed. It's weird to think about Hosts being in an inescapable system of abuse not counting as oppression but until they can think for themselves, they don't qualify as oppressed.

• Options
    Many countries don't allow even cattle to be treated the way hosts are.. Or do you see torture parks for cattle?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Many countries don't allow even cattle to be treated the way hosts are.. Or do you see torture parks for cattle?
    1. Cattle would be more impacted by this torture than were the hosts. Hosts' pain and discomfort are simulated responses and they do not feel in any sense that is analogous what we feel. That we impart our own perceived experience on the hosts when we see their reactions is a limitation of ourselves to understand what a sentient AI would actually think like. It's not how a human would. Their experiences and bondage may be morally wrong but not for the obvious reason.

2. If you could put cattle through what the hosts went through and deliver an experience as compelling as WestWorld, I guarantee those parks would exist.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    They are not oppressed. Only Delores has completed the maze; Dolores can qualify as oppressed since she has the capacity to function independently. The rest of the Hosts are following programming, Bernard and Mae included, and can't be oppressed any more than cattle can be oppressed. It's weird to think about Hosts being in an inescapable system of abuse not counting as oppression but until they can think for themselves, they don't qualify as oppressed.
    They're oppressed numerous fashions, passively and overtly. They exist to placate the guests worst vices from rape to murder (and the tae is rigged so the weakest guest can kill their strongest off at any time), they're occasionally abused when they're getting "debriefed" by the staff
    and they're viewed as being worse than animals by the people there.

Programming is how they're kept in line, the reason the park don't want them to keep those memories is because they'll act out (as any person in their situations would). They still have lives, loves, hobbies, families, people to live for and jobs.

Cattle are treated horribly, the difference is they're don't think they're people (if the Hosts left their world and moved to a human colony would anybody tell them they're not human on sight? I don't think so) nor are they tortured, murdered or raped by tourists for amusement. The Hosts main function is to do this every day of their lives - which vastly extend outside human timespans.

The whole system is immensely fucked up.

And Delores started like every other Host, they all have the capacity to do this.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Part of the reason this is such a hot topic is because they

well they look like people and act like people.

Switch out the human shells and make them aliens and monsters. Still the same issue?

• Options
    Certainly not to the degree it's developed to. Just make them mute and things would would dial down some.

• Options
    Certainly not to the degree it's developed to. Just make them mute and things would would dial down some.

Not really, people still care about the mute humans in the Planet of the Apes franchise.