As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDD Vs. HDD for Secondary Storage Drive

As the title says, I am looking to ascertain whether or not there is any significant benefit to my buying a hybrid drive instead of a traditional HDD, as a secondary storage solution.

I am looking to add a secondary drive with 2TB of storage. This will be mainly used to store the majority of my games, video files and ebooks/.pdfs. I may or may not move my iTunes installation to this hypothetical secondary drive, I haven't decided yet.

However, as all my OS files are currently contained within my SanDisk II 480GB SSD - along with all my music and certain games - is there any benefit to using a SSHD over a strictly mechanical drive?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Not unless yo like to pay more.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm using a pair of Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD that I got on sale for my media and disc image storage needs (as well as emergency images of my boot drive).

If I'm not mistaken, the drives should cache files you access most regularly on the SSD portion--so, in my case, the video I access most regularly, or disc images, etc.

It's a small difference, but it's not particularly obvious. You could easily overlook it. On the other hand, a pair of 8 TB of SSD space would cost as much as a used car (for example, in Samsung 850 Evo, that'd run you about $2,800.00 off Amazon, and those aren't even particularly fast SSDs). Obviously that's not practical.

I got those Seagates while they were heavily discounted--if you run into the same, by all means. But if you can get a conventional drive that meets your performance requirements at lower cost, go for it.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    As the title says, I am looking to ascertain whether or not there is any significant benefit to my buying a hybrid drive instead of a traditional HDD, as a secondary storage solution.

I am looking to add a secondary drive with 2TB of storage. This will be mainly used to store the majority of my games, video files and ebooks/.pdfs. I may or may not move my iTunes installation to this hypothetical secondary drive, I haven't decided yet.

However, as all my OS files are currently contained within my SanDisk II 480GB SSD - along with all my music and certain games - is there any benefit to using a SSHD over a strictly mechanical drive?

If you're looking to store game installations on the secondary drive then a hybrid drive might be worthwhile. The other data you're going to store on it won't benefit from a hybrid because they're mostly streaming things (video & audio) that a HDD's sequential read performance can keep up with and have no problems.