Options

Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V--Kaput?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
So I woke up this morning finding my PC wasn't connected. Upon further inspection, the reason doesn't seem to be a bad cable, or needing to restart the router, but because my Windows 10 PC has stopped seeing the network adapter on my Asus Z97-A motherboard (named above). As in, the device shows up under Network Adapters in my Device Manager with an exclamation mark on it (called Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V--duplicate name aside, I only have one ethernet port on my motherboard) but in my network settings there's no note of any such device, and the green light doesn't trigger when you plug in/unplug the actual ethernet cable. Uninstalling and reinstalling the device via Device Manager doesn't seem to change anything.

Is there something I'm overlooking in WIndows itself? Or am I just out of luck because the network device on my motherboard died until I get a USB wireless device (and eventually repair my motherboard somehow, which sounds like a nightmare).

EDIT: Unplugging and plugging everything else after I got back from work fixed it. Apparently. Close this and disregard.

Synthesis on

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I have these adapters on some Dell laptops - twice now they've stopped working - but if I plug them in to a different port on the switch, they work fine - they seem to have some memory or something for negotiating with certain ports and at some point decide they just aren't going to work anymore. I literally flipped a couple cables in a closet and switched the labelling for one user. There's another fix that you can apply via registry that appears to work, if I can find it, I will throw it in here.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I have these adapters on some Dell laptops - twice now they've stopped working - but if I plug them in to a different port on the switch, they work fine - they seem to have some memory or something for negotiating with certain ports and at some point decide they just aren't going to work anymore. I literally flipped a couple cables in a closet and switched the labelling for one user. There's another fix that you can apply via registry that appears to work, if I can find it, I will throw it in here.

Well, it's an interesting idea, but it's just an integrated part of my motherboard, so I don't think there's anything to move around quite frankly. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Not sure what you mean by registry fix...