As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah a few things are bothering me
    Garth presumably was being sincere in his desire to foil the bad place plan, but he made zero mention of bad Janet. Ok fine he didn’t know about that part, but then where is Vicki in the Michael suit? Why go to all that trouble and not attempt to swap out Michael? Seems like the only thing that makes sense is that it’s still Vicki and she offered to suicide in order to preserve bad Janet’s cover.

How is the neighborhood still running with good Janet marbleized?
    I don't think they'd pull a repeat of the same twist like that. My money's on Vicki using the Michael suit to try and bamboozle Jason (and maybe Janet) during the rescue attempt.

Also, Glenn didn't know the plan. All he knew was that a) there is a duplicate Michael suit, and b) Shawn was happy when the demon spy got sent back. He extrapolated that Michael was the plant.
    If Glenn is telling the truth, he personally witnessed Vicki being set up with the suit, and she has no reason to think the humans will visit the bad place. Also, Janet gooped him to keep him from talking, even though he knew nothing about her. After being revealed, she was still angry at him for being a traitor. If he was a traitor who was mistakenly accusing Good Michael, then Bad Janet wouldn't have had much reason to take the risk of silencing him.
    What are you talking about? He built the suit and Vicki put it on to demonstrate its function, intending to use it to torture the humans after the experiment failed. When the demons seemed happy after their episode 1 plot failed, Glenn assumed the rest of the plan.

I'm not saying that Vicki knew the humans would come to visit, I am saying that Shawn will find out Jason and Michael are in the Bad Place at some point next episode and be all "oh let's use the Michael suit to sow confusion because I'm a bad boy" etc. The Suit was simultaneously the red herring that provided the plot for last episode AND something that will be used as a plot point next episode.

Also, of course Bad Janet is going to take every opportunity to spread pain. Just because Glenn thinks he knows the infiltration plan doesn't mean he himself couldn't put a few more dots together. Bad Janet doesn't know how much Glenn knows, only that he seems willing to share everything he does know. What if he also happened to witness Bad Janet getting rebooted 40 million times? He probably wouldn't know why Shawn would do that, but suppose he mentions it to the humans. They'd pretty quickly figure out that Shawn was trying to make a highly advanced Bad Janet, and there's only a few reasons why he'd want to do that.

Glenn, even if his conclusions were off, had information that the Bad Place didn't want the humans to learn, so Bad Janet neutralized him.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've got no fucking idea what's going on in this show's fourth season.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, normally when the podcast opens, it's "Welcome. Everything is Fine". THis week's guests included Josh Siegal, Glenn. So this week it was "Welcome. Everything is- SHUT UP GLENN".

Poor, poor Glenn.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...oh Schur, you sneaky bastard.
    Remember how he revealed Linda in interviews ahead of time to make the reveal even more shocking? He also said this:
    There may be another big problem looming on the horizon, a face both familiar and ferocious. Asked for a one-word hint about what’s to come in season 4, Schur pauses for a moment and then simply says: “Vicky.”

And then the actual Vicky turned out to be a red herring designed to make us think that wasn't Michael!

...probably?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...oh Schur, you sneaky bastard.
    Remember how he revealed Linda in interviews ahead of time to make the reveal even more shocking? He also said this:
    There may be another big problem looming on the horizon, a face both familiar and ferocious. Asked for a one-word hint about what’s to come in season 4, Schur pauses for a moment and then simply says: “Vicky.”

And then the actual Vicky turned out to be a red herring designed to make us think that wasn't Michael!

...probably?

I have a hard time reconciling the Schur who ran around as Mose in the Office with the MASTERCLASS SHOWRUNNER of Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    to me
    the way it took michael a long time to actually get to the point where he maybe might have to goop himself seemed to indicate he was hoping for one of the humans to stop him or for janet to stop him. i'm thinking vicky is still in play as michael. the whole dialogue from michael about how he's a fire squid doesn't seem to add up with flashbacks of what we saw with him working at a desk drawing up plans for the neighborhood. also shawn walks around looking human so i don't think demons have to look different.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    to me
    the way it took michael a long time to actually get to the point where he maybe might have to goop himself seemed to indicate he was hoping for one of the humans to stop him or for janet to stop him. i'm thinking vicky is still in play as michael. the whole dialogue from michael about how he's a fire squid doesn't seem to add up with flashbacks of what we saw with him working at a desk drawing up plans for the neighborhood. also shawn walks around looking human so i don't think demons have to look different.

Except that
    Shows do have budgets, so in a very practical sense it's a lot easier to have a lot of humans walking around an office building than a bunch of supra-dimensional demons shimmering around an Nth-dimensional space in their natural forms. In an in-setting sense, it's also lot easier to have everybody working on the same stuff when the tiny little fire demons are on the same scale as the super-sized fire squid and nobody is having to communicate via juice wavelengths.

Second, I don't think it would ever occur to any of the demons besides Michael to do anything unpleasant to themselves just to carry out the plan. By Michael's reckoning, it took hundreds of years of constant exposure for Michael to break down to the point of being willing to even work with the humans and then they had to put their collective asses on the line him before he actually started liking them. For the other demons, self-sacrifice for the benefit humans would be like us trying to imagine a new primary color: even if we can understand the idea of what that is, we just can't really do it the way we are now. Even if that self-sacrifice isn't anything permanent, it's just not a concept for them.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    to me

Except that
    Shows do have budgets, so in a very practical sense it's a lot easier to have a lot of humans walking around an office building than a bunch of supra-dimensional demons shimmering around an Nth-dimensional space in their natural forms. In an in-setting sense, it's also lot easier to have everybody working on the same stuff when the tiny little fire demons are on the same scale as the super-sized fire squid and nobody is having to communicate via juice wavelengths.

Second, I don't think it would ever occur to any of the demons besides Michael to do anything unpleasant to themselves just to carry out the plan. By Michael's reckoning, it took hundreds of years of constant exposure for Michael to break down to the point of being willing to even work with the humans and then they had to put their collective asses on the line him before he actually started liking them. For the other demons, self-sacrifice for the benefit humans would be like us trying to imagine a new primary color: even if we can understand the idea of what that is, we just can't really do it the way we are now. Even if that self-sacrifice isn't anything permanent, it's just not a concept for them.

possibly but...
    it wasn't self-sacrifice, it was just another deception. now of course i do agree about the budget limitations but we did see at least one demon-like figure in hell. Part of me thinks that the ultimate resolution is that everyone shouldn't be trapped in hell but also maybe the real good place blows just as much so the end result will be that people are sent to the neighborhood or like places to try and improve and if they can they get reward and if they can't, then maybe those do go to hell. is michael actually vickey, maybe not but how are they going to get to the end result with just so few episodes?!?

also derrick is best

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Michael
    saying "Take it sleazy" was meant to be a direct nod to us that it's the real Michael. It's not a reference that the other characters would get because they've been rebooted a lot since he said that fitting it into a conversation was one of the things he wanted to do before retirement.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michael
    Michael's pep talk to Eleanor in the previous episode basically guarantees it's him. Vicky could not manage that level of emotional depth.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh shit. I just realized something else we could be in for:
    Previously, we saw Janet getting frustrated keeping everything running in this new good place. Which implies that it NEEDS a Janet to keep running. But Bad Janet's been busted, and real Janet's trapped in the bad place. Who's going to run things now? Well, I guess there's... oh. Oh no.
    DUmJnAdX4AAMwwG.jpg

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Previously, we saw Janet getting frustrated keeping everything running in this new good place. Which implies that it NEEDS a Janet to keep running. But Bad Janet's been busted, and real Janet's trapped in the bad place. Who's going to run things now? Well, I guess there's... oh. Oh no.
    DUmJnAdX4AAMwwG.jpg

Or
    They just explain that Janet is offline and everyone just nods and accepts it because afterlife rules be complicated. It's not like they're any worse off than they were before they arrived.

The only person who would be upset over the matter is Brent, and this might be a his chance to finally grow as a person when he has to do things on his own.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DUmJnAdX4AAMwwG.jpg

Or
    They just explain that Janet is offline and everyone just nods and accepts it because afterlife rules be complicated. It's not like they're any worse off than they were before they arrived.

The only person who would be upset over the matter is Brent, and this might be a his chance to finally grow as a person when he has to do things on his own.

The problem is
    Since only the Soul Squad and the experiment subjects are real, the simulated nature of the experiment will be revealed if stuff starts going haywire due to lack of Janet/non-lack of Derek.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    There was an episode in season one where everyone was under quarantine. They can do that again.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    They CAN do a lot of things, but I am firmly in favor of anything that gives us more Derek.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Did he have an improperly made martini this ep?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

He has evolved beyond that into...weird sex toys?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    And sex diapers.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Nope . I think the white tux implies hes rrached a level where hes confident in who he is.

Also his penis probably fully formed which I bet helps a ton

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Nope . I think the white tux implies hes rrached a level where hes confident in who he is.

Pfft, this is Derek. The correct answer is "he now has windchime genitals made of fully-formed penises", and he is so proud of that. Obviously too proud, but hey. Derek.

• Options

I think last he mentioned he specifically said he now has a mostly-formed penis.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jason fuckin Mendoza, the wise monk of Jacksonville

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Oh Vicky
    That was pretty much how I always imagined the Michael suit would play out. Vicky was terrible and obvious, so it never would have worked.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Best subtle joke this episode?
    Now entering The Bad Place
    Population: Your Mom

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I noticed at the end:
    As they where leaving the Bad Place they didn't have Glen's bucket on the train. Did they leave the poor demon behind with Shawn? Truly a fate worse then death.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Last night episode
    The rescue went way smoother than I was expecting.

We're 1/3rd into the season right? I'm still not sure where it's going, but that's not a bad thing.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I have to assume that part of it is actually going to be challenging the premise itself. Why should such a tiny fraction of time carry such eternal results? And if Michael can change... What does that say about the rest of the demons?

I'd really not be surprised if by the end of things Shawn is in a neighborhood, learning to be a better person

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    All I have to say is that I wish I could pull off a white tux like Derek can. :whistle:

Ok, a second thing (from last night's ep.):
    FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLESSSS!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    My dream ending for the series:
    The penultimate episode has the Judge decide that humanity can indeed improve. The final episode is to show what happens to people after that.

The great conflict of the final episode is whether to restore Chidi’s memories. He’ll probably get his full memories back, realize that he’s happier and more fulfilled with his life with Simone. He’ll go to the real Good Place with Simone.

Eleanor takes advantage of Jeremy Bearimy time to run all of humanity through the Good Place. It takes billions of years of subjective time. Jason, Janet and Tahani will stick with Eleanor. Michael will become the new Judge, to give Gen time to catch up on Cheers or something.

We say goodbye to people through a series of short scenes, as people move through the neighborhood. Tahani and her sister fully reconciled and painting together, Eleanor and her mother, Jason will be throwing a football with surprise guest star Blake Bortles. Tahani will take up welding. Jason will have dope dance parties and we’ll see him and Pillboi reunited. Shaun looking around the empty offices of the Bad Place morosely. A supercut of Eleanor in tons of different outfits saying “You’re in the Good Place.” We see Eleanor and Tahani got together as (after)life partners.

The series ends after a massive time jump with Eleanor in a futuristic space version of the Good Place office with nebulae in the background, several trillion iterations down the road. She and Michael talk about how they had a good run of things, but now that the last human is gone, it’s be more appropriate for one of the new species to take over her role. We see that the current Janet has pointed ears or other alien signs, and is Asian. Eleanor has that Janet call up her her great-great grandmother, and then Eleanor and Michael go off to the real Good Place.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    My favorite detail in this episode:
    The "Employee of the Bearimy" wall.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm still rooting for Eleanor and Tahani. Really thought that was going to happen at the end of the latest episode.

• Options

Was this the first Good Place episode NOT to end ob a cliffhanger?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yeah I'm still rooting for Eleanor and Tahani. Really thought that was going to happen at the end of the latest episode.

Chidi and Eleanor have, in my opinion, the most beautiful love story I’ve ever seen on a sitcom. I 100% want them to be together at the end.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I noticed at the end:
    As they where leaving the Bad Place they didn't have Glen's bucket on the train. Did they leave the poor demon behind with Shawn? Truly a fate worse then death.
    Don't worry about him. He'll have evolved back into a larval form/social media CEO in no time at all.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    If anyone hasn’t listened to the Good Place podcast I would encourage you to do so. They discuss an absolutely hilarious joke from Jason Mantzoukas that was unfortunately cut.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    If anyone hasn’t listened to the Good Place podcast I would encourage you to do so. They discuss an absolutely hilarious joke from Jason Mantzoukas that was unfortunately cut.

As someone with family in theatre, the unused theatre signs killed me.
    Reminder: if the audience isn't bored and annoyed throughout the performance the stage manager will resort to playing musical selections from Cats.
    Keep the drama on the stage! If you get in a fight with a fellow cast member, please interrupt the show and fight in front of our audience.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    For a being who shouldn't even have been created, Derek is working out pretty Derek in the end.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    For a being who shouldn't even have been created, Derek is working out pretty Derek in the end.

He's rocking a tan suit too. The most Derek

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    With the blocking of this shot
    c62ue3D.png?1
    I thought a giant Derek was about to appear Evangelion style and ruin everything.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    With the blocking of this shot
    c62ue3D.png?1
    I thought a giant Derek was about to appear Evangelion style and ruin everything.

It's not Evangelion, but it's the best I could Derek.
    ypjozn704ao7.jpg