As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

After[chat] With Archie

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i want this job decision to be decided

I have a nice apartment you can rent if you come back.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    my team has grown from like 5 people when i started 10 months ago

to 13

i am probably the most useless of the 13 i feel

Nah law of averages is in ypur favor.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    omg secretary is wearing a nude colored pair of tights that matches her skin tone exactly and I saw cameltoe when she walked by me and omg that image is seared into my mind now send help

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man the 80s and the 90s and early 2000s completely lied to us re: what being an adult would be like.

This shit sucks.

I wanted to end up owning the ski resort after I win the big tournament and the owner makes me a partner so the bank won't take it.

I wanted to own the record store or CD shop because the bank tried to take it.

I wanted to hack the planet because the bank was stealing millions from charity.

I wanted to stay in college forever because I wouldn't have to end up working for the bank like Dad wanted.

Now I work for the bank.

Van Wilder seems cool until you realize that you'd be in your late 20s hanging out with teenagers all the time.

Seriously I'll bet Van ended up working for his dad and probably has a massive coke habit now.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Amazon should buy Best Buy and use them to showroom electronics

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Man the 80s and the 90s and early 2000s completely lied to us re: what being an adult would be like.

This shit sucks.

I wanted to end up owning the ski resort after I win the big tournament and the owner makes me a partner so the bank won't take it.

I wanted to hack the planet because the bank was stealing millions from charity.

I wanted to stay in college forever because I wouldn't have to end up working for the bank like Dad wanted.

Now I work for the bank.

How would you even own a store in the era of Amazon anyway?

You'd have to own a boutique frozen yogurt farmer'S market stall or something equally annoying And 2010s

There is a small "general store" down the street that seems to stock only Dickies jeans

Who is buying up Dickies jeans from a brick-and-mortar store in a hipster neighborhood

I wonder if it's a money-laundering front

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    my team has grown from like 5 people when i started 10 months ago

to 13

i am probably the most useless of the 13 i feel

Nah law of averages is in ypur favor.

Yes, but this is Shaz.

Ypur is his colleague.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

that'd actually be the best buy for them

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This shit sucks.

Now I work for the bank.

You'd have to own a boutique frozen yogurt farmer'S market stall or something equally annoying And 2010s

In an odd way in the age of Amazon you have to own a niche store to do well. Being a big box store isn't going to win.

So you have to be like the local record shop with rare shit and a community focused idea rather than Sam Goody or something.

Amazon made it so you have to be less corporate to survive or be consumed by the megacorp.

It's true but even then I feel like you're going to lose against bandcamp and comixology and PDFs and so on

Our culture has been so thoroughly dematerialized that all those little buyables that would keep a commercial space open just seem ... gone

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I'm surprised best buy still exists, I would have thought it would follow circuit city into oblivion by now

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Oh man Taj from Van Wilder was Kal Penn.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    omg secretary is wearing a nude colored pair of tights that matches her skin tone exactly and I saw cameltoe when she walked by me and omg that image is seared into my mind now send help

I tried to find a pickup line that worked with camel toe to give you but man you're on your own

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I dunno how Best Buy's business is doing now but since they started price matching Amazon, I've been purchasing from them a lot more.

BB fits into that area of "a lot of shit I'd like to get today please"

I realize in metro areas there is amazon instant same day shipping or whatever but that's not the reality for the rest of the country. BB has its place.

• Options

He had his own solo movie after Van Wilder.

"The rise of Taj"

• Options
    Sometimes I miss stores

I miss magazines once in a while too which is weird?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Yeah porp and I use Best Buy fairly frequently

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I'm surprised best buy still exists, I would have thought it would follow circuit city into oblivion by now

I think it was @Gooey who told me this years ago, but by far the most valuable thing Best Buy has now are its real estate holdings.

Which totally makes sense. They own so much prime real estate in so many major markets that they could fold the company slowly and make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit just selling off their locations.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

I tried to find a pickup line that worked with camel toe to give you but man you're on your own

No she's a really fat 50 year old who's nasty to literally everyone, no thanks.

She needs to invest in a vibrator or something though because she has a terrible time with guys, go figure.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Never mind I should spend civ6 money on music software from Native instruments or twisted tools or something

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=allen heath zed 10&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Really good at pushing protection plans and selling TVs configured in neon nightmare suburban dad attract mode.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

He had his own solo movie after Van Wilder.

"The rise of Taj"

Yeah, I had heard of it but I never saw the sequels. I saw Van Wilder a lot because in high school I pretty much just left Comedy Central on all day. Rise of Taj was coming out right as I graduated and it hadn't been on TV yet.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

I dunno how Best Buy's business is doing now but since they started price matching Amazon, I've been purchasing from them a lot more.

I realize in metro areas there is amazon instant same day shipping or whatever but that's not the reality for the rest of the country. BB has its place.

Yeah BB isn't really hurting. They kind of diversified to try and keep up with Gamestop and others and like Lud said when they started price matching I started going there more.

Like if I do my research online and find what I want in store at a BB I'll just go get it there because I'm paying sales tax either way.

• Options
    Sometimes I miss stores

I still go into bookstores occasionally just because I like randomly browsing the shelves and smelling the book smell

portland has a really good one called powell's, which it's just a jumble of rooms and each room is like, the nature room or the sci fi room or whatever

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Tactical RPG eh

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sometimes I miss stores

check texture out. Gives you access to hundreds of magazines for a single monthly flat rate, on iOS and android.

If you have a tablet it is pretty nice. Something about the effort that went into layouts, font choices, image placement, etc...

As good as web design has gotten, nothing beats a great two page spread.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Really good at pushing protection plans and selling TVs configured in neon nightmare suburban dad attract mode.

oh that's true I did buy a TV from there a couple of years ago

• Options
    Sometimes I miss stores

I still get catalogues sent to my house for this very reason, and I still buy print magazines in Books-a-Million because I like having shit to read between books.

• Options

She needs to invest in a vibrator or something though because she has a terrible time with guys, go figure.

Damn dude tell us how you really feel about Susan

• Options
    LOOK AT THIS 4K 120HZ OLED TROPICAL BIRD DOING A MATING DANCE. STARE AT IT LIKE AN INFANT STARING AT THE SUN.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I tried to get them to price match a keyboard on amazon which was like $25 cheaper and they wouldn't go for it and said "no it's not the same keyboard" even though I matched the model #s and features.

So I just put the keyboard down and went to my car, ordered it, then grabbed a pizza and waited the 2 days for it to show up.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ludious wrote: »

Best buy started price matching Amazon at the end of 2012

bdLzVkD.png

I'm pretty sure it saved their company, at least until Amazon can get fly a laptop and an HDMI cable to me in 20 minutes

override367 on
  • Options
    Sometimes I miss stores

I still go into bookstores occasionally just because I like randomly browsing the shelves and smelling the book smell

portland has a really good one called powell's, which it's just a jumble of rooms and each room is like, the nature room or the sci fi room or whatever

Powell's is great

The cute local bookstores here all folded :/

• Options

Damn dude tell us how you really feel about Susan

"TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A TOY?!"

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This shit sucks.

Now I work for the bank.

In an odd way in the age of Amazon you have to own a niche store to do well. Being a big box store isn't going to win.

So you have to be like the local record shop with rare shit and a community focused idea rather than Sam Goody or something.

Amazon made it so you have to be less corporate to survive or be consumed by the megacorp.

It's true but even then I feel like you're going to lose against bandcamp and comixology and PDFs and so on

Our culture has been so thoroughly dematerialized that all those little buyables that would keep a commercial space open just seem ... gone

Ehh...

So one of my dad's good friends owns a comic shop. Kind of the old fashion one in a strip mall that isn't super huge. Dude still makes good money. A chunk is off magic sales, but hey it helps.

But he sells new comics of course but old ones as well. People still like collecting physical objects and buying things that see value in. He makes most of his money off physical comics. Sure comixology took a chunk of his sales but people come in for all sorts of things. He found a niche.

For music your niche can be records, hard to find old albums, and so on. Every time I go to Baltimore I go to this record store that feels like the 90's never left. Place is always busy. I tend to try to find weird old CD albums I want. Some of my friends get stuff on actual vinyl. They have a niche.

Actually I am still reading this but you might be interested in it too...

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/10/24/13327014/productivity-paradox-innovation-growth

In an odd way the more we move to a society with less of the old manufacturing and mass market jobs the more we open up space for more small targeted market stores and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I like Best Buy just because when Halo 3 came out Gamestop flat out refused to sell me a copy because I didn't pre-order it so I walked into Best Buy where there was literally a shelf full of copies of Halo 3, bought it, walked around the corner back to Gamestop, opened the door, and yelled to the crowd "HEY BEST BUY HAS HALO 3 IN STOCK WITHOUT PRE-ORDERS AND NO DUMB ASS LINE TO CHECK OUT!" then walked out.

• Options
    LOOK AT THIS 4K 120HZ OLED TROPICAL BIRD DOING A MATING DANCE. STARE AT IT LIKE AN INFANT STARING AT THE SUN.

Then take the TV home, put it where your TV normally sits, sit where you normally sit, and try to convince yourself that this is better than the 1080p LED set you just replaced even though it looks exactly the same.*

*You didn't say HDR; that does legitimately look better than the stuff that came before regardless of distance and pixel density.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Then take the TV home, put it where your TV normally sits, sit where you normally sit, and try to convince yourself that this is better than the 1080p LED set you just replaced even though it looks exactly the same.*

*You didn't say HDR; that does legitimately look better than the stuff that came before regardless of distance and pixel density.

There is like, zero HDR content

This discussion has been closed.