As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's got a debatable patient list [Doctor Strange]

SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man inWesterosRegistered User regular
edited November 2016 in Social Entropy++
Doctor Strange opens in "International" (ie non-US) screens tomorrow (Tuesday, 25th October), US audiences have a week or so of baited breath and spoiler dodging before the film opens on November 4th.

f4cgr4vhrt0p.jpg

In which a top surgeon gets injured and embarks on a quest to regain his prowess...only to stumble into something altogether more interesting.

Featuring trippy visuals, a groovy soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

(Credits song apparently, bear that in mind if you want to keep the surprise)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

And a fabulous cast including the internet's favourite mad lib Benedict Cumberbatch,
ydhwcco8t7ef.jpg

Tilda Swinton,
MV5BMTM4NzMzMTkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU4MDg1Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Mads Mikkelsen
MV5BMTcyMTU5MzgxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDI0NjI1._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

and Chiwetel Ejiofor
MV5BNzA5MDEyMTY3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ0MjcxMDE@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Early impressions are apparently good and some have compared it favourably to Iron Man the first, which sounds OK to me. I'm off to see it on Thursday, but I thought I'd put this up now for folks tomorrow. As always, use spoiler tags and make them marked :)

7qmGNt5.png
D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
Snicketysnick on

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit, I already know I'm too invested in this and will both love/hate it.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Hey, my name's Stephen!

I will immediately use my wizard powers for evil.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    When is the USA release date?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I am not really sure but I think it's November 4th?

I'll check because yeah that should be in the OP

it is, hurrah!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Hey, my name's Stephen!

Very unsurprising

20081015.gif

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Hey, my name's Stephen!

Very unsurprising

20081015.gif

vsCV42Y.jpg

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Benedict Cumberbatch confirmed that Stephen isn't just appearing in Infinity War, he will, at some point, officially join The Avengers as a full-fledged member of the team.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    dr strange seems a bit Above the avengers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Probably not MCU Strange

It seems like they're definitely going more "powerful sorcerer" versus "basically godlike magician that regularly battles actual gods across all planes of existence"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    seems to come out on the 27th here

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about Dr. Strange, but I tagged along with my girlfriend and our roommate to a "drink and draw" and the model is in full Dr. Strange cosplay. It's AMAZING.

• Options
    Post credits
    mid credits
    apparently cut from thor 3, Thor and strange talk about finding odin on earth

Post credits
    mordo kills a dude and is like I'm gonna kill all the sorcerers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So some critics describe it as visually great but with qite a dumb story. I wasn't sure wether to see it in cinema or later on at home but the latter would probably not play to its strenghts.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    From the preview I went to, IMAX 3D is the way to go. Those trippy shots of other dimensions just look amazing in 3D.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    How did I miss that Giacchino is scoring this?

Or maybe I knew and forgot

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am seeing this shit in less than two hours.

I will come in here and say if I liked it and then I will leave until November fourth when I can talk about it with more than two people.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Huh, for some reason this isn't coming out on the international date here

At least I got tickets for the 3rd

Too used to getting Marvel movies before the US, don't know if I could go back to dodging spoilers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This is maybe the first Marvel movie that I am coming to specifically for the actors and visual spectacle

Almost every other time I watch these things for the characters first and foremost

But man, Tilda Swinton and Mads Mikkelsen are in this dang thing and I gots to see that!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Couldn't you say that about Vision as well?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm guessing MCU Dr. Strange power set will be more Brian Bendis level where he's severely depowered compared to his earlier incarnations.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Strange just got depowered in the comics, too, but who knows how long that will stick with Marvel's current approach.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I assume he'll get the same treatment as Thor

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm guessing MCU Dr. Strange power set will be more Brian Bendis level where he's severely depowered compared to his earlier incarnations.
    Brian Bendis Strange was initially at full-strength and it was the dumbest thing

He couldn't stop a plane falling out of the sky because he "couldn't focus"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Pretty much all the MCU heroes are depowered. Hulk can't stomp the planet in two or instantly heal any wound. Thor can't create storms that could blanket the entire US or teleport between dimension with just his hammer. Iron Man can't project forcefields or store his nanite armor in the hollows of his bones. Strange, likewise, will probably not be able to blow up planets and stars like he did in his early appearances.

That said, I think he'll still end up being one of the more powerful MCU heroes. Partly because they seems to be going all in on the "dimensional protector" version of Strange, not just the "polices magic on Earth" version later comics have sometimes presented. If you're protecting an entire universe from extradimensional threats, you are going to need a pretty robust tool set to pull that of. Just look at this quote from Kevin Feige:

That sure makes it sound like Strange, moving forward, will be his regular ol' fighting gods and demons beyond the ken of the Avengers self. Even in the clips previews he seems to be pretty powerful, capable of teleportation, dimensional travel, astral projection, energy blasts/shields, and time manipulation. That puts him pretty far ahead of most of the MCU supers. Plus, I'm getting the impression from a lot of the aforementioned footage that, for around two thirds of the movie, Strange is still an adept, outclassed by Kaecilius, his spells occasionally failing or not working right. He probably gets some big power up in the last act when he finally learns to "shed his ego" or "embrace who he is" or something like that.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    I mean Benedict Cumberbatch himself said he was going to be an Avenger, so he seems to be tackling Avengers-level threats going forward.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I suspect he's also the only superhero who really understands how to use his Infinity Stone, among all the heroes. Vision comes close but still doesn't understand fully, Thor knows what they are but not how to use them, and Loki has a good idea but isn't telling anyone.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean Benedict Cumberbatch himself said he was going to be an Avenger, so he seems to be tackling Avengers-level threats going forward.

I'm assuming he just means he's joining for the Infinity Wars movies; I generally tend to put more weight on what Feige says than the actors since he's the one in charge of the big picture. That said, I think a lot is going to depend on popularity. If Strange is a big hit, then yeah, I think he'd likely be involved in the post IW Avengers movies.

Though that's going to take some tricky balancing. Strange has always had a certain amount of difficulty fitting into team books in the comics.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

I'm assuming he just means he's joining for the Infinity Wars movies; I generally tend to put more weight on what Feige says than the actors since he's the one in charge of the big picture. That said, I think a lot is going to depend on popularity. If Strange is a big hit, then yeah, I think he'd likely be involved in the post IW Avengers movies.

Though that's going to take some tricky balancing. Strange has always had a certain amount of difficulty fitting into team books in the comics.
    Nah, he explicitly said he was joining the Avengers. He had been already announced as being in Infinity War, this was in response to a fan question about him joining the team.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Nah, he explicitly said he was joining the Avengers. He had been already announced as being in Infinity War, this was in response to a fan question about him joining the team.

I think you're reading too much into his off-the-cuff remark at a press junket.

• Options
    I don't mean in terms of power I mean in terms of he's got his own stuff to deal with that the avengers are not equipped to

As an honorary member who they call in when they have a magical threat yeah, but it's hard to imagine him day to day in avengers hq running drills with cap

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I mean

It seems pretty dang obvious to me that he will join the Avengers, I guess?

So far there have been no solo MCU flicks made where the star hasn't joined the Avengers

And he is definitely a big name and unique character to throw into the mix

If Ant-Man joins the Avengers, Strange is probably gonna

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Y'all, if they say he's going to join the Avengers

That means he's going to be an Avenger

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    But then the mcu avengers were initially understood as a reserve force anyway, perhaps they will return to that concept

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I feel like directly ignoring a statement he made is way more selective hearing than blank is 'reading into it'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I feel like directly ignoring a statement he made is way more selective hearing than blank is 'reading into it'

I read the comment Cumberbatch made. It was a just a vague "Oh, I'm going to be in the Avengers" sort of statement. Which, yeah, we already knew he was going to be in the next Avengers movie. I don't get the impression he meant any more than that.

• Options

I read the comment Cumberbatch made. It was a just a vague "Oh, I'm going to be in the Avengers" sort of statement. Which, yeah, we already knew he was going to be in the next Avengers movie. I don't get the impression he meant any more than that.

he literally says "he's going to be an avenger"

You're doing a weird word twisting thing for some reason to get that to mean something else

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Oh yeah, that’s it, he’s a superhero, he’s going to be an Avenger

• Options
    I would like strange, thor, and Wanda to be magic friends

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I would like strange, thor, and Wanda to be magic friends
    And Danny!

and Danny... :(

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh yeah, that’s it, he’s a superhero, he’s going to be an Avenger

The question he was asked was specifically if he was going to be in Infinity War. His full response was:
    “There’s so much going on in this film [Doctor Strange]. There’s such a great story arc, there are so many great challenges for me, as an actor, in every department, from wirework to kung fu to great dialogue scenes with the most incredible cast and great characters. put it on the back-burner that I was playing a superhero… At the premiere, which was the first time I’d seen the film, and – I won’t spoil it for you – but there’s a moment near the end where I thought, ‘Oh yeah, that’s it, he’s a superhero, he’s going to be an Avenger,’ so that’s really cool.”

To me that just reads as confirmation he's going to be in the next Avengers movie and not much else.

Fakefaux on