As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn in Hell, Jack Chick

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah that's because most sci-fi authors were shitty

people who wrote good sci-fi in the 70's and 80's predicted shit like the internet and wifi

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    My main wonder is if mechanical augmentations and cybernetics will get to the point where they're like tattoos. That's something I could see telling my kids "you can't have a cybernetic eye until you're 18" or "no cybernetics above the neck or below your forearms, employers don't like it"

But realistically, it's going to be something we never thought of. Like I could have sat for hours thinking "what's the thing that will make me feel old because I don't understand it and young people think it's amazing?" and never come up with something as startlingly mundane as pewdiepie

Yeah this is why so many stories set in the future retroactively become stupid as hell.

Way back when, there were various stories involving things like flying cars, but little to nothing involving increasingly compact computers.

they actually made the computers bigger in the stories

The computer took up a whole room, and not only had a dictionary, thesaurus, and atlas on it, but it also showed you the news of the day! You could even use it to buy things from places! All it cost was three times as much as your car and the biggest bedroom in your house.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The internet and wifi were essentially background radiation to a ton of great sci fi, and that's how we use them in real life. No big deal just "oh yeah I can look this up wirelessly on an enormous database that knows everything"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If Asimov were still alive, how fucken JAZZED do you think he would be about things like Google and Watson?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    My main wonder is if mechanical augmentations and cybernetics will get to the point where they're like tattoos. That's something I could see telling my kids "you can't have a cybernetic eye until you're 18" or "no cybernetics above the neck or below your forearms, employers don't like it"

But realistically, it's going to be something we never thought of. Like I could have sat for hours thinking "what's the thing that will make me feel old because I don't understand it and young people think it's amazing?" and never come up with something as startlingly mundane as pewdiepie

Yeah this is why so many stories set in the future retroactively become stupid as hell.

Way back when, there were various stories involving things like flying cars, but little to nothing involving increasingly compact computers.

Sci-Fi tended to revolve around greater increases in power generation rather than miniaturization.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I think the best example of scifi computing completely missing microchips is Asimov's short story The Last Question, in which the titular question about entropy is posed to successive iterations of supercomputers, starting with a massive orbital analog computer built in a vast ring around the earth.

To Asimov's credit he did anticipate some form of miniaturization, but he was still pretty far off the mark:
    In his father's youth, the only computers had been tremendous machines taking up a hundred square miles of land. There was only one to a planet. Planetary ACs they were called. They had been growing in size steadily for a thousand years and then, all at once, came refinement. In place of transistors had come molecular valves so that even the largest Planetary AC could be put into a space only half the volume of a spaceship.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I think the best example of scifi computing completely missing microchips is Asimov's short story The Last Question, in which the titular question about entropy is posed to successive iterations of supercomputers, starting with a massive orbital analog computer built in a vast ring around the earth.

To Asimov's credit he did anticipate some form of miniaturization, but he was still pretty far off the mark:
    In his father's youth, the only computers had been tremendous machines taking up a hundred square miles of land. There was only one to a planet. Planetary ACs they were called. They had been growing in size steadily for a thousand years and then, all at once, came refinement. In place of transistors had come molecular valves so that even the largest Planetary AC could be put into a space only half the volume of a spaceship.

The MULTIVAC story was also written back when vacuum tubes were still a thing and transistors were just starting to replace them. If you were to take the 1,750,000,000 transistors in a modern CPU and replaced them with vacuum tubes that let's say take up 2 square inches each, they would occupy 0.87 square miles and that's without accounting for the additional space of the supporting circuitry. With hindsight, I think the failure was mostly in his vast underestimation of how fast the miniaturization would occur. Of course there's also the fact he was stuck on the idea of only needing a single computer for all of humanity.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    my favorite part of missed technology in scifi is looking at movies from the 70s and 80s, with amazing goddamned set design and world building, like 2001 or Aliens or whatever. Just incredible fucking detail poured into all of the sets, with amazing life and every single goddamned inch of it planned out and realized.

And every screen is a 4:3 CRT with the tell-tale bulge.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my favorite part of missed technology in scifi is looking at movies from the 70s and 80s, with amazing goddamned set design and world building, like 2001 or Aliens or whatever. Just incredible fucking detail poured into all of the sets, with amazing life and every single goddamned inch of it planned out and realized.

And every screen is a 4:3 CRT with the tell-tale bulge.

I love this aesthetic

I couldn't play the game for very long but I loved that they just fully committed to it in Alien Isolation

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah 80's future is a great aesthetic when used right.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I just want those computers from Logan's Run that let me teleport to people's rooms that want to have casual sex.

I mean, I'd already be dead in that world because I'm over 30, but the tech seems to, you know, energize molecules is pretty neat. Alternatively, Star Trek teleporting.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I just want those computers from Logan's Run that let me teleport to people's rooms that want to have casual sex.

I mean, I'd already be dead in that world because I'm over 30, but the tech seems to, you know, energize molecules is pretty neat. Alternatively, Star Trek teleporting.
    tinder + uber

what a time to be alive

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Screens were increasingly used in schools during my education, and I have no reason to believe that they dialed it back since then. Staying away from electronics, beneficial or not, is becoming difficult to put into practice.

I'm nominally an adult, and I ended up with a touchscreen on my telephone against my feeble objections.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

they actually made the computers bigger in the stories

"I predict in the future, computers will grow so huge and expensive that only the 6 richest kings of Europe can afford them."

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Man, rewatching movies every day. That used to be a thing.

I did that, like, one time.

I really really liked Beauty and the Beast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I had this weird realization not too long ago where I thought about what my parents' childhoods were like

And they only got to watch a movie once, maybe twice if it was in theaters, and then that was it

There was a good chance you might never see that movie again, if they didn't air it on television! At least that was what they figured

So much of my early childhood was devoted to watching the same stuff over and over again, really getting into it, because I liked it so why wouldn't I want to see it again?

To my mother this was a completely foreign concept when I was a toddler

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

I still do that because I need something going on in the background while I work.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Funny thing I noticed on multiple iterations of B&tB, was that if you slow it down frame by frame when Gaston gets thrown off the roof, you'll see a skull in his eyes.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I was leaving for work this morning and found out someone had pinned my very first chick tract to my apartment door!

It appears to be about the dangers of Halloween.

And is entirely in Spanish.

Nice try Zarflax, Satan wins again!

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, there was a YouTube video I saw a while back about how a surprising number of people die in Disney films.

Mostly from falling.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    don't forget the hunter jerk that hangs himself in tarzan

and how scar gets eaten by hyenas

and something poetic that happens to the guy in hunchback

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    here is an incomplete list of things I was not allowed to imbibe when I was a kid:

the simpsons
    teenage mutant ninja turtles
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

I wasn't allowed to watch anything deemed intellectually insulting. So my list wasn't too dissimilar - smurfs/my little pony/he-man/etc? Right out. The entire Monty python ouvre, Warner Bros cartoons, and the Simpsons*, however, were a-ok.

Also the amount of absolutely smutty sci-fi and classic literature they had on their bookshelves was educational, to say the least.

* (once my mother actually watched some and realised it wasn't just about a skateboarding ten year old)

What would be some classic smutty sci-fi

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I wanted to watch Alien so badly when I was a kid

I remember being really, really intrigued by the Alien design

Platy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I wanted to watch Alien so badly when I was a kid

I remember being really, really intrigued by the Alien design

big fan of walking dicks eh?

• Options
    Yes, I think I was seven or maybe eight

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    when I was about 8 I read Venus on the Half-Shell by Kilgore Trout

very shortly thereafter I was in Trouble with my mother for reading Venus on the Half-Shell by Kilgore Trout

my dad did give me a bunch of Vonnegut and Philip José Farmer stuff to read afterwards, though

• Options
    oh my god

that's probably why I'm so fucked up now!

I WASN'T READY, DAD, I WASN'T READY FOR THAT

• Options
    here is an incomplete list of things I was not allowed to imbibe when I was a kid:

the simpsons
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

I wasn't allowed to watch anything deemed intellectually insulting. So my list wasn't too dissimilar - smurfs/my little pony/he-man/etc? Right out. The entire Monty python ouvre, Warner Bros cartoons, and the Simpsons*, however, were a-ok.

Also the amount of absolutely smutty sci-fi and classic literature they had on their bookshelves was educational, to say the least.

* (once my mother actually watched some and realised it wasn't just about a skateboarding ten year old)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062711/

• Options

Don't forget Dr Facilier, who literally gets dragged into hell.

• Options

the simpsons
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

the simpsons
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/

Zardoz?
    Not going to link to an IMDB, if you want to know that badly, it's on you.

Pretty sure Logan's Run had some pretty gratuitous sex and nudity, so maybe that could count as smutty.

• Options

the simpsons
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

If we're talking movies, Barbarella is basically the quintisential smutty sci-fi.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

A gargoyle he's hanging on comes to life with red glowing eyes and tosses him off of Notre Dame into both the ground and the rivers of molten lead already spilled in it's defense against the corrupt soldiers he commanded

It's basically "God is fed up with your shit and is casting you into Hell" and i love Hunchback of Notre Dame so much you guys

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

the simpsons
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

If we're talking movies, Barbarella is basically the quintisential smutty sci-fi.

More like Dedslow... Slowrekka?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

A gargoyle he's hanging on come to life with red glowing eyes and tosses him off of Notre Dame into both the ground and the rivers of molten lead already spilled in it's defense against the corrupt soldiers he commanded

It's basically "God is fed up with your shit and is casting you into Hell" and i love Hunchback of Notre Dame so much you guys

tony jay :(

• Options
    May he rest in peace.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Maleficient gets stabbed in the fucking heart. On screen.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Maleficient gets stabbed in the fucking heart. On screen.

Yeah, but she was a dragon at the time so nobody cared.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ursula gets totally shitwrecked by the broken mast of that ship. Shipwrecked, if you will.

The poor, unfortunate soul.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That's worse than my pretentious nesting doll pun and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I mean, don't be. But you should be.