Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the reason the Benjamin costs $100 is because Franklin is on the $100 bill. There is no deeper meaning or cost analysis. It's just named what it costs.

Hey remember that show Bullshit w/ Penn and Teller, where they showed that a lot of people really couldn't tell the difference between food from an expensive 5-star restaurant and food from KFC? And that they couldn't tell the difference between a $10 bottle of water and water poured into an identical bottle directly from the garden hose? We need P&T to get in here and bullshitify these drinks.

For water I'll buy it; the water industry is a fraud. But someone who cannot tell the difference between KFC and a five-star restaurant chicken has had his eyes gouged out, his nose punched in, and his mouth washed with acid. That's the only way you can confuse them.

If I remember, it was not a blind taste test. What they did was they put five star food in crappy KFC style paper packaging and people did not notice anything amiss. Then they took KFC quality food and served it up with incredible five star presentation and people generally did not notice a problem.

So it seemed to have nothing to do with tasting a difference in a blind taste test. I actually don't think they had the people taste both. As I recall, it had more to do with certain people having a bias towards "refined things" and wanting to seem to be the kind of person who enjoys such things, even if they don't really enjoy the thing or the thing is not really that special, etc.

Hence, Trump drinks.

WordLust on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Trump calls fact checkers scum (we aren't)

Politifact rating: mostly false. Fact checkers do good work, but one time when he was 14 Billy stole $20 from his mother's purse.

Politifact rating: pants on fire. Literally Billy accidentally set his pants on fire while playing with some lighter fluid with friends at a BBQ back in college. However, his claims that asking girls "wanna see my burn scars" is a viable pickup line has been labeled Flip-Flop after it apparently worked for the first time in years last weekend with Sherryl from accounting.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The Rocking Chair is a thorough sullying of a very fine scotch.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so apparently today is Hillary Clinton's birthday. so what better excuse to highlight her long career in public service.

1984 wrote:
    In 1984, Hillary was named Arkansas Young Mother of the Year. As chair of the Education Standards Committee, she worked to reform the state's schools.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Shit, she helped build the modern GOPs media perception and then suddenly has a conscience about the monster she tinkered on for 12 years? Naw, I'll pass on the love fest.

People are allowed to change.

And I bet most people here are taking a 'wait and see' attitude with her. But they're still allowed to enjoy the moments where they eat themselves.

It's a big tent, man.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-hollywood-walk-of-fame-star-230330
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    In 1984, Hillary was named Arkansas Young Mother of the Year. As chair of the Education Standards Committee, she worked to reform the state's schools.

Huh. I read that book and I don't remember that part.

• Options
    notdroid wrote: »
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.

Man, if that's the guy's actual name he is either very stupid or very committed.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Trump calls fact checkers scum (((we aren't)))
    :mad:

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

So, you're saying that poor scotch had a meeting with Trump?

Also:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

The please sign here actually sounds pretty good.

Similar to one of my favorite drinks, the Division Bell.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

The Benjamin bugs me. First of all because it has the only uppercase letter on the entire page, and second because who the fuck will pay $100 for a drink?

vjawyHd.png

override367 on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Crayon wrote: »
    Shit, she helped build the modern GOPs media perception and then suddenly has a conscience about the monster she tinkered on for 12 years? Naw, I'll pass on the love fest.

People are allowed to change.

And I bet most people here are taking a 'wait and see' attitude with her. But they're still allowed to enjoy the moments where they eat themselves.

It's a big tent, man.

Don't think I said people are incapable of change. Like what you like, but I'm pretty sure after the trump ordeal is over she'll stay right where she is and continue to do the same dog and pony show that channel has done since its creation. I don't entirely count moments of lucidity as change.

Crayon on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the reason the Benjamin costs $100 is because Franklin is on the $100 bill. There is no deeper meaning or cost analysis. It's just named what it costs.

and also as was pointed out it comes with very expensive food

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

OMG they TRASHED it!

That's really fucking not okay. Damnatio memorae is not something we should be doing.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

So, you're saying that poor scotch had a meeting with Trump?

Also:

It's also amusing because the narrative is already starting to shift towards obstruction with just under 2 weeks to go. I saw Pat Toomey commercials last night about how he'll fight Hillary Clinton and that's why we should vote for him, delightfully followed by a Trump commercial, so GOP undermining is in full swing.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

can't wait to see Trump's response to this. :lol:

• Options

OMG they TRASHED it!

That's really fucking not okay. Damnatio memorae is not something we should be doing.

Oh look! He knows a Latin word!

I don't disagree with you that this dude probably should not have done this, but I disagree that it is not something we should do in principle.

Sometimes there are people in history who create terribleness, and while it is important to remember those people, it is not important to honor them. If you view destroying Trump's star as in the same category as pulling down statues of Stalin (that's a bit hyperbole, but insert whichever analogy you like), then it's not such a terrible thing.

Refusing to bestow honor upon tyrants is not necessarily equal to erasing history.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

can't wait to see Trump's response to this. :lol:

Liar! Bias! RIGGED! Sad!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Aren't the stars not actually an award or anything but just a thing you can buy?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Aren't the stars not actually an award or anything but just a thing you can buy?

You do have to buy them, but I think there are also some qualifiers. It's basically like getting verified status on twitter, but you also pay $10,000 for it or something.

• Options

The Benjamin bugs me. First of all because it has the only uppercase letter on the entire page, and second because who the fuck will pay $100 for a drink?

vjawyHd.png

But its Euros, right. Those operate on monopoly money rules, right?

...right?

• Options

OMG they TRASHED it!

I don't disagree with you that this dude probably should not have done this, but I disagree that it is not something we should do in principle.

Sometimes there are people in history who create terribleness, and while it is important to remember those people, it is not important to honor them. If you view destroying Trump's star as in the same category as pulling down statues of Stalin (that's a bit hyperbole, but insert whichever analogy you like), then it's not such a terrible thing.

Refusing to bestow honor upon tyrants is not necessarily equal to erasing history.

The only person in American history who earned historical erasure is Benedict Arnold. So unless you have a case that Donald Trump is a traitor, then yes, this went too far.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

The only person in American history who earned historical erasure is Benedict Arnold. So unless you have a case that Donald Trump is a traitor, then yes, this went too far.

like soliciting donations from foreign powers to run your ultra racist campaign?

(note, I do not support vandalism at all)

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't even think you need to bring erasure into it. it's a fucked up thing to do.

the most interesting thing yesterday was that biographer talking about his 2014 interview with trump. I listened to the NYT podcast about it and then caught him all over cnn and msnbc. absolutely fantastic stuff. nothing that will affect the election but it really gives you a glimpse into trump's soul. well worth it to hear whatever you can from that dude.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Wait why's it cool if you're a traitor.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    At the very least, that's vandalism. Politically motivated, at that.

If someone spray painted a swastika on Mel Brooks' star, we'd be pretty pissed. Trump is a terrible person, but he hasn't crossed an event threshold that makes doing things that are otherwise illegal and disrespectful ok.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    At least we can be sure that was was likely someone who doesn't like Trump (or wants to appear that way). Unlike last time when someone drew a swastika on it and it was genuinely impossible to tell if it was done by a hater, or one of his literal neonazi supporters.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I'm partial to this one (click Hideout, down in the corner).

http://dalvasf.com/cocktails.html

Also that one I mentioned in Downtown LA. Check out the Brixton, it is ridiculous.

http://pettycashtaqueria.com/menu/mid-city/

Yeah, I haven't lived in the bay area for a few years now, but Plum Bar + Dogwood in Oakland were pretty hard to beat (honorable mentions to Make Westing for all around excellence and Cafe Van Cleef for pure insanity of decor/crowd).
    Maven in SF was pretty good, but didn't hit any other places in the City that really could compete with the top 2 above. However, the name of the game is proximity, and most of the good bars near me in SF were beer-focused (Magnolia, Toronado).

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    At the very least, that's vandalism. Politically motivated, at that.

If someone spray painted a swastika on Mel Brooks' star, we'd be pretty pissed. Trump is a terrible person, but he hasn't crossed an event threshold that makes doing things that are otherwise illegal and disrespectful ok.

What would be considered crossing this line o'yours.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So I finally got around to listening to the show "Hamilton."

One of the interesting things about the show is how Hamilton has a choice on casting the deciding endorsement between two candidates who he absolutely hates: Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson. But eventually, he comes to the decision that he's rather go with the devil he knows (Jefferson) over the Devil he doesn't know (Burr) and endorses Burr. A decision he stands by even though it literally kills him in the end.

What I'm saying is, modern Jill Stein and Gary Johnson voters are wimps.

This is cool, I didn't know anything about Hamilton. He actually makes the case that I've been trying to make to my family about why they can't vote Trump. IE that you can't trust someone with no principles:
    Mr. Jefferson, though too revolutionary in his notions, is yet a lover of liberty and will be desirous of something like orderly Government – Mr. Burr loves nothing but himself – thinks of nothing but his own aggrandizement – and will be content with nothing short of permanent power in his own hands – No compact, that he should make with any passion in his breast except Ambition, could be relied upon by himself – How then should we be able to rely upon any agreement with him? Mr. Jefferson, I suspect will not dare much Mr. Burr will dare every thing in the sanguine hope of effecting every thing

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

OMG they TRASHED it!

You only think that because he had historical erasure put on him. The guy was a few less petty snubs away from being a war hero.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The benjamin looks like it comes with a bunch of expensive stuff on the side... or it is the most disgusting cocktail ever made.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

If you look at the actual statement, it's not really anything like your paraphrase or the TPM article.

For example, on the subject of them not making "a dent in the two-party system", here's what he actually had to say:
    We are making strides toward breaking the two party monopoly

There is a kind of "vote for Hillary" implication in one paragraph:
    Against that backdrop, I would like to address myself to all those in the electorate who remain torn between two so-called major party candidates whom they cannot enthusiastically support.

which, combined with the rest, can be interpreted as saying vote for the lesser of two evils. However, Hillary is not mentioned again, explicitly or implicitly, in the rest of the statement. He certainly believes Clinton is better than Trump (and has made statements to that effect in the past), but the statement as a whole is anti-Trump rather than pro-any candidate. I read it more as him trying to attract disaffected Republicans to the Libertarian party than trying to get them to vote Hillary (although, again, I'm sure he personally sees Clinton as the lesser of two evils and would prefer disaffected Republicans to vote for her over Trump if they're not going to go third party). I think this is implied in statements like
    I hope that this election cycle will secure for the Libertarian Party a permanent place in our national political dialogue.

He wants the Libertarian Party to do well, he wants Trump to do poorly, the statement is ambivalent about Clinton. He's not giving up--the only thing he said anywhere close to that is the "the deck is stacked against" them in half a sentence.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Bill Welds statement hits the nail on the head
    After careful observation and reflection, I have come to believe that Donald Trump, if elected President of the United States, would not be able to stand up to this pressure and this criticism without becoming unhinged and unable to perform competently the duties of his office,” the former Massachusetts governor said in a statement.

Does Trump think the unfair criticism he gets as nominee is bad? The president is probably the most criticised person on earth. Can he handle it?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

GotV ad for New Hampshire from Funny or Die

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

GotV ad for New Hampshire from Funny or Die

"Whoa I don't joke about curses take that shit out of the telemprompter"

Affleck 2024!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.