Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    notdroid wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-hollywood-walk-of-fame-star-230330
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.
    man

i'm wondering if he's regretting this run yet

it... has not done him any favors, i think

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    So, with Trump opening his new hotel there is an article on CNN about how Donald will often litigate down the assessed value of his properties so that he pays less property tax.

Which I understand, from a business standpoint he is wise to do that. But the preposterous citation from the article comes when his fancy new hotel was assessed at a value of 98 million, and Donald is having his lawyers argue that it should only be assessed at 28 million.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    WordLust wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Aren't the stars not actually an award or anything but just a thing you can buy?

You do have to buy them, but I think there are also some qualifiers. It's basically like getting verified status on twitter, but you also pay $10,000 for it or something.

So...it's EXACTLY like verified status on Twitter.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so apparently today is Hillary Clinton's birthday. so what better excuse to highlight her long career in public service.

1984 wrote:
    In 1984, Hillary was named Arkansas Young Mother of the Year. As chair of the Education Standards Committee, she worked to reform the state's schools.
    1977 wrote:
    In 1977, Hillary co-founded Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, one of the state’s first child advocacy groups.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    At the very least, that's vandalism. Politically motivated, at that.

If someone spray painted a swastika on Mel Brooks' star, we'd be pretty pissed. Trump is a terrible person, but he hasn't crossed an event threshold that makes doing things that are otherwise illegal and disrespectful ok.

What would be considered crossing this line o'yours.

Enough to tear up everything with his name on it? Substantially more than we've seen to this point. Even the thing about not accepting the results that had so many people running for their fainting couches isn't enough to warrant illegal destruction as a political statement.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

If someone spray painted a swastika on Mel Brooks' star, we'd be pretty pissed. Trump is a terrible person, but he hasn't crossed an event threshold that makes doing things that are otherwise illegal and disrespectful ok.

Enough to tear up everything with his name on it? Substantially more than we've seen to this point. Even the thing about not accepting the results that had so many people running for their fainting couches isn't enough to warrant illegal destruction as a political statement.

I was hoping for specifics on what crosses the line, but I was speaking more towards the destruction of the star. I mean, he's instigated violence against people at his rallies. I just wonder that if that doesn't cross the line, what does?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

I was hoping for specifics on what crosses the line, but I was speaking more towards the destruction of the star. I mean, he's instigated violence against people at his rallies. I just wonder that if that doesn't cross the line, what does?

When he doesn't accept the results of the election and therefore turns his back on the constitution and our democracy for which it stands, then I'm okay with it. Up until now he's a carnival barker and that's not enough to go burning down his shit.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Defacing the Hollywood star is a horrible act and should not be condoned.

Firstly, it's just inappropriate to do it, as is vandalism in general.

Secondly, and most importantly I feel, is that it gives him and his supporters fuel. It gives them a legitimate act to jump on as an example of the 'violence' inherent in the opposition. Giving them ammo for any reason hurts the overall cause/goal.

Note this is not the same as a peaceful protest such as wearing a duck costume with a sign. This is destruction of property, an actual crime.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is just brutish vandalism. Erasure is goosey because we need to remember who NOT to be.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm a bad person. I couldn't care less about a walk of fame star or it's vandalism. Violence against people I care about. Even damage to property I could care about if it wasn't Donald Trump's property (he paid for it). Maybe it's just that this election cycle has worn me out.

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed Wednesday morning by a man purporting to be a construction worker. Trump's name and the TV logo once emblazoned on the star are no longer visible.

OMG they TRASHED it!

That's really fucking not okay. Damnatio memorae is not something we should be doing.

Oh look! He knows a Latin word!

I don't disagree with you that this dude probably should not have done this, but I disagree that it is not something we should do in principle.

Sometimes there are people in history who create terribleness, and while it is important to remember those people, it is not important to honor them. If you view destroying Trump's star as in the same category as pulling down statues of Stalin (that's a bit hyperbole, but insert whichever analogy you like), then it's not such a terrible thing.

Refusing to bestow honor upon tyrants is not necessarily equal to erasing history.

The only person in American history who earned historical erasure is Benedict Arnold. So unless you have a case that Donald Trump is a traitor, then yes, this went too far.

Sorry, I was away on lunch. But just to clarify:

I was agreeing with you that this went too far and is just vandalism. Dude that did this was being a punk.

I was only disagreeing with you that destroying his star was (or was even trying to be) "historical erasure". That statement is a preposterous exaggeration, IMO. It was just vandalism.

WordLust on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I guess I'm a bad person. I couldn't care less about a walk of fame star or it's vandalism. Violence against people I care about. Even damage to property I could care about if it wasn't Donald Trump's property (he paid for it). Maybe it's just that this election cycle has worn me out.

Rights must be reciprocal or else they're not really rights.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    man

His hotels won't even have his name on em anymore after this! It's great!

That video from Jon Oliver earlier this year about calling him Drumpf has proven to be inaccurate. It's good that we kept calling him trump, because with his inevitable humiliating defeat the trump name is as good as worthless.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    man

That video from Jon Oliver earlier this year about calling him Drumpf has proven to be inaccurate. It's good that we kept calling him trump, because with his inevitable humiliating defeat the trump name is as good as worthless.

Yeah its kind of Rovian in that we took his greatest strength and made it a huge weakness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Just voted! Not in a real competitive state but whatever.

Also Bill Weld can take a hike. His entire statement boils down to "Hello people who give a shit about the ridiculous Libertarian candidacy because they like to pretend they understand civics: please don't vote for Donald Trump!"

Such a shocking display of statesmanship, god is there somewhere I can go to shake this brave man's hand?

Fucking Libertarians.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I know someone IRL whose last name is genuinely Trump and I feel kinda bad for them.... >.<

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Well, we can start with that it would need to be something that we don't already have laws on the books for. Inciting violence, sexual assault, etc; everything that Trump has been doing/accused of this election is something that we have laws defining appropriate punishments for. We are, after all, a nation of laws. This being what the kerfuffle about Trump's reluctance to state outright that he would respect the results of the election has been about; by law that's what he has to do.

If we're going to throw a fit over him not following the laws of this country, we need to follow them ourselves. Petty vandalism is illegal, and we shouldn't be condoning it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Well, the reason I dislike this is that this is the sort of Goosery that makes the dems look bad. Which Trump can use to rally his base. Which can be used to justify actual violence against real people by Trumps supporters. "He was going to tear down a sign and I hit him to prevent vandalism" kind of way.

So not only has this done the opposite of whatever the vandal wanted, but has can backfire way harsher then his initial action.

Non-violence means letting them throw the first punch and not giving them an excuse to do so.

Donald Duck suits? Okay

Act of criminal Vandalism? Not Okay.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, sometimes you people are such staunch ideologues. I'm perfectly capable of condoning vandalism and hoping that the perpetrator is brought to justice while gleefully celebrating the destruction of a symbol of hate.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    man

Yeah its kind of Rovian in that we took his greatest strength and made it a huge weakness.

We*?

I'd say the lion's share of damage was done by Trump himself.

*stupid phone

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    man

I'm nearly certain he's psychologically incapable of regret.

• Options

I think if you are going to do this sort of thing, if we're thinking of it as similar as pulling down a tyrant's statues of himself or whatever, then you have to make sure the majority of society is with you.

Like if 90% of people were like "Yes we need to take that down, let's all go do it" then okay.

But you can't just decide that you're the Batman of who gets a star or not.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    man

Well?

It was, but we the people by tying the man to his hateful rhetoric and stop patronizing his businesses are what ultimately cost him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    ugh phone

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    man

Well?

It was, but we the people by tying the man to his hateful rhetoric and stop patronizing his businesses are what ultimately cost him.

I've seen a couple businesses with Trump/Pence signs and have logged them as places I will never do business with.

I didn't have that visceral reaction with Romney or McCain and before that I wasn't "doing business" with anyone so that doesn't really matter.

Trump is causing an economic downturn for his followers too, in my estimation.

• Options
    I think if you are going to do this sort of thing, if we're thinking of it as similar as pulling down a tyrant's statues of himself or whatever, then you have to make sure the majority of society is with you.

Like if 90% of people were like "Yes we need to take that down, let's all go do it" then okay.

But you can't just decide that you're the Batman of who gets a star or not.

The star is also a good lesson to teach- just because you're gilded doesn't mean you can't be a loser.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Those drinks seem unnecessarily complicated.
    No. Besides the obvious "Benjamin" they look simply overpriced. They're simple, easy to make, and do not contain expensive liquor. If you want a complicated menu I can show you some pictures. And they won't be from bad places either

That being said, a number of them look very interesting. If they taste good I would call that a good menu (I have a penchant for simplicity) and only not very good* because he has a straight old fashioned up there but gives it a fancy name. Also of course the dumb Benjamin.

*There are other complaints I might make regarding the type of drinks on it but not going to bother with explaining. If it had a proper variety it could be considered excellent.

If you want a proper explanation then @ me in the liquor thread

The please sign here actually sounds pretty good.

But they can't use actual tequila?
    So, for those who don't know, tequila and mescal are the same liquor. Tequila means that it was produced in one of a handful of Mexican states historically tied to the production of the liquor, similar to how only sparkling wine produced in Champagne can use that appellation.

No. The mescal will be smokey and the tequila will not be
    man

Savage is going to try to get mothers to have "the Trump talk"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    man

Well?

I've seen a couple businesses with Trump/Pence signs and have logged them as places I will never do business with.

I didn't have that visceral reaction with Romney or McCain and before that I wasn't "doing business" with anyone so that doesn't really matter.

I'd do the same, but I don't see any Trump/Pence in my corner of the world. We get Gary Johnson stuff.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I saw a Johnson sign by me the other day.

I laughed.

• Options

They guy who did it got arrested, which is what I expect. No one is withholding Donald Trump's rights, come on now.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

So Donald gets to break something with that guy's name on it? I'm confused at what rights are involved here.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I prefer the guy who built the tiny wall around Donald's star. That was pretty funny, and it didn't cause any actual damage.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    man

Well?

I'd do the same, but I don't see any Trump/Pence in my corner of the world. We get Gary Johnson stuff.

Come up to Shoreline. We have some Trump yard signs around. Not many, but if a yard is going to have a Trump sign, they're actually going to have 3-6.

• Options
    For the record, if Hillary had a star on the walk of fame and it got vandalized, I'd be basically indifferent to it. It has a lot to do with the specific thing that was vandalized. If someone took a spray can and X'd out a bunch of Trump campaign signs or Clinton campaign signs or even both, I'd be a lot more annoyed at that than a walk of fame star.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I'm now less concerned that Trump might win (knock on wood, etc.) but that he'll get more electoral votes than McCain did in 2008 and thus still be held up as an example of where the GOP should be going, rather than being Goldwatered out of existence.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    All I see in this thread is people implying that Clinton will definitively win. With their "Will Trump accept the results of the election?" and "Clinton will draw the line with this guy when president." All I see is polling that is still dangerously close and millions of people who are still supporting/voting for Trump. Despite all the talk of "no ground game", alienating the republican base, and gaffes coming out of every orifice (alright, mostly one orifice), Trump still has at least 40% of the vote. That is likely at least 50,000,000 million people voting for Trump.

Not to sink the SS High Spirits.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

Well, we can start with that it would need to be something that we don't already have laws on the books for. Inciting violence, sexual assault, etc; everything that Trump has been doing/accused of this election is something that we have laws defining appropriate punishments for. We are, after all, a nation of laws. This being what the kerfuffle about Trump's reluctance to state outright that he would respect the results of the election has been about; by law that's what he has to do.

If we're going to throw a fit over him not following the laws of this country, we need to follow them ourselves. Petty vandalism is illegal, and we shouldn't be condoning it.

And yet where is that response for incitement of violence, or active threats? If the worst "our side" is doing is vandalizing a stupid fucking piece of concrete against their active violence and assault I'm cool with that exchange. Sorry, I'm certainly not as refined as some of you ladies and gents. You can be the better man, I absolutely respect that...but I'm okay with moments of slipping from that sentiment.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

And yet where is that response for incitement of violence, or active threats?

Are you suggesting that people in this thread have condoned people getting attacked at his rallies rather than lividly opposing it?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Is it illegal? Yes.

It's it unethical? Sure.

Do I condone it? No.

Do I feel the slightest bit bad about it? Lolnope.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Is it illegal? Yes.

It's it unethical? Sure.

Do I condone it? No.

Do I feel the slightest bit bad about it? Lolnope.
    .... I thought it was kind of punk rock.

This discussion has been closed.