As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Youth Adjacent

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Youth Adjacent

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Time to pack it up, everyone, vidyagames are over. So sayeth the august elders of Penny Arcade.

identeregare on
  • Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    @IDentercare Good they needed to get offa my Lawn anyway!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    There are drugs Gabe doesn't know about? I thought he did them all.

Edit: Maybe it's just the prescription ones.

forty on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Time to pack it up, everyone, vidyagames are over. So sayeth the august elders of Penny Arcade.

How'd you get that from THAT?

It's pretty clear the message is "We're old."

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Maaan, I know when I go to my hip rooftop parties the first thing I say is, "YO! WHO WANTS TO PLAY SOME MARIO KART ON THIS IPAD!?"

I don't get invited to rooftop parties anymore.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Love it, because that commercial really was hilarious.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yea, I couldn't afford any of the flats/pads/apartments/whatever those people had in that commercial, never mind opportunities for artisanal rooftop parties. Clearly they were not my demographic even though we're in the same age group.

lionheartssj on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yo what's that phone number

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    206-954-5. Last digit, if present on first panel, looks like a 1, but maybe a 9. The 5 at the start of the last four digits is a maybe, unless 6 is written like a seven segment display it is probably a 5.

I'm very curious. 206 is a Seattle area code.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    you kids today, all hopped up on snoopballs

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Doops" is obviously the noun.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    There are drugs Gabe doesn't know about? I thought he did them all.

Edit: Maybe it's just the prescription ones.

Tycho is the one who has tasted the rainbow of recreational pharmaceuticals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    206-954-5. Last digit, if present on first panel, looks like a 1, but maybe a 9. The 5 at the start of the last four digits is a maybe, unless 6 is written like a seven segment display it is probably a 5.

I'm very curious. 206 is a Seattle area code.
    We must go deeper! It would be cool if it actually led somewhere, like a voice-mail inbox/mini-ARG.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to reverent silence?!

kyo8vybfuvai.jpg

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I'm getting the switch cause I can lol screw rood top parties

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Remember, kids. Don't snoop doops. Not even once.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Snoop doops erryday! Doop life! 827 Snoop it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    dennis wrote: »

Because I interpreted "But you will purchase a Nintendo Switch, because you want to remain young and valid" as "There is literally no reason to buy the Nintendo Switch unless you are a slave to fashion". The implication being that the Nintendo Switch is as useful for gaming as tits on a bull.

identeregare on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I snooped a doop once. It is an overrated experience.
    bec54550f1ffd51f2cb9f4c1ee93435c.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Because I interpreted "But you will purchase a Nintendo Switch, because you want to remain young and valid" as "There is literally no reason to buy the Nintendo Switch unless you are a slave to fashion". The implication being that the Nintendo Switch is as useful for gaming as tits on a bull.
    My interpretation is that it was entirely a satirical comment about the rather ridiculous Switch trailer video.

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Gettin really tired of the misuse of the word millennial. Millennials cover a much broader age range than most people identify, and there's this continued notion that all of them are only THE VERY YOUNGEST POSSIBLE AGE for a millennial. The birth ages are like a TWENTY YEAR SPAN, you guys. I'm 35; just about the age of the writers/ characters in the comic, and I can assure you that I am one. I can also assure you that they are, too. Please, people. Read what the fuck a millennial actually is. It does not mean "obnoxious twenty something". It's defined by a set of cultural and social traits that started at about a certain time. One of them is the whole Peter Pan generation thing. Two guys who write a comic and run conventions about games? Pretty sure that fits.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zomagic wrote: »
    Gettin really tired of the misuse of the word millennial. Millennials cover a much broader age range than most people identify, and there's this continued notion that all of them are only THE VERY YOUNGEST POSSIBLE AGE for a millennial. The birth ages are like a TWENTY YEAR SPAN, you guys. I'm 35; just about the age of the writers/ characters in the comic, and I can assure you that I am one. I can also assure you that they are, too. Please, people. Read what the fuck a millennial actually is. It does not mean "obnoxious twenty something". It's defined by a set of cultural and social traits that started at about a certain time. One of them is the whole Peter Pan generation thing. Two guys who write a comic and run conventions about games? Pretty sure that fits.

What? Nah. I'm 39, which I believe is the approximate age of the Penny Arcade dudes, and I was constantly marketed to as Generation X. If Millennials are a twenty year birth span, the beginning age group has to start in the 90s - the time period I was in high school and college.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    it really depends on where you look for your information. Very few generations are explicitly defined consistently between research and/or marketing bodies with exception to the baby boom due to the US census.

I personally go with the definitions from the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies:
    Baby Boom: 1945-1964
    Gen X: 1965-1984
    Millennials: 1985-2004

I like this because they each take up a simple 20 year span and I feel like it tends to fit pretty well with the attitudes of people I know in each of those groups as well.

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    zerzhul wrote: »
    it really depends on where you look for your information. Very few generations are explicitly defined consistently between research and/or marketing bodies with exception to the baby boom due to the US census.

I personally go with the definitions from the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies:
    Baby Boom: 1945-1964
    Gen X: 1965-1984
    Millennials: 1985-2004

I like this because they each take up a simple 20 year span and I feel like it tends to fit pretty well with the attitudes of people I know in each of those groups as well.

Yes, but it's also more defined on a personal level, as to where your attitudes line up, and what your life experience has been. The years are just there as a generality. It's obviously an attempt to categorize a cultural phenomenon, which you can't expect every single person to fit into exactly. Additionally, some experts go as low as 1980, with the average starting date being 82. I was born in very late 81. I promise you, it's accurate for me, and most of my peers, where I grew up. More conservative areas may have seen people in my age range having a more gen x-like experience.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What? Nah. I'm 39, which I believe is the approximate age of the Penny Arcade dudes, and I was constantly marketed to as Generation X. If Millennials are a twenty year birth span, the beginning age group has to start in the 90s - the time period I was in high school and college.

...You realize a twenty year span can be any twenty year span, not a span of the last twenty years, right? O_o The beginning of Millennials is in the 80's, and ENDS in the early aughts. People are constantly acting like it starts in the 90's and ends in the aughts; like it is a ten year span, when it is, in fact, twenty, and there are a lot more factors to it than just what age group you were born in. It's more fuzzy. I have some experiences that reflect with generation x, but 90% of mine reflect from millennials. I am a millennial from the earliest part of the group. But there are people who are closer to me in age that are definitely from generation X. But many of them have a great deal of attitudes which align the way millennials do; things which define the generation. There are grey areas, and I'm pretty tired of the word being slung around as a low grade insult, and people continuing to perpetuate the term incorrectly.

Millennials are LESS likely to be snooping doops than any generation before them. Fact. Millennials have quite a lot of good qualities that go constantly overlooked, and the spewing of hatred toward them can be easily interpreted by someone knowledgeable as unresolved envy. There is, in fact, a TED talk about it. Okay, after a quick google, at least a half dozen TED talks about the ridiculous levels of hate that gets slung at millennials.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I definitely grew up in a very conservative area with a Gen-X experience. It's an interesting construct and obviously doesn't follow dates as it is entirely socially based. Still, *because* of my personal experiences, I see them lining up pretty well with what I posted, which is convenient for me.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    @ZOMAGIC They're making fun of their being out of touch. They're not saying anything negative about millennials.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    nah, Gen X is 60's to early 70's

late 70's to late 80's/early 90's is "Gen Y". also known as the "slackers"

I'm pretty sure J&M are over 40, that puts them in late Gen X/early Y.

Millennials are those born after, duh, the new millennium, or darn near it, mid/late-90's on.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Gonna use the term, "snootin' doops," every chance I can from now on.

• Options
    or snoopin' doops even

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Interpreters gonna interpret, I guess. But the newspost makes it pretty clear that both of them are really interested in the console. Especially the real-life Gabe. It's possible that sometimes they say outlandish things in comics for comedic effect.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    jwalk wrote: »
    nah, Gen X is 60's to early 70's

late 70's to late 80's/early 90's is "Gen Y". also known as the "slackers"

I'm pretty sure J&M are over 40, that puts them in late Gen X/early Y.

Millennials are those born after, duh, the new millennium, or darn near it, mid/late-90's on.

I'm not sure I agree overall with that entire timetable either, but I do agree that they wouldn't be "millennials" if they aren't at least born near the millennium. "1985" is no where near enough to the millennium to count, imo. And does ignore the whole "gen Y" thing that was around until the early 2000s.

But also, yeah the comic isn't making fun of Millennials, it's making fun of Gabe and Tycho. People who make fun of any generation as a gestalt are dumb.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Bart: I'm a latchkey kid.
    As am I haha though I don't know if I count as much since my parents weren't divorced like the average were.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    On a more serious note every generation gets treated negatively and such by the ones preceding them and vice versa. The young and the old don't get along due to different environmental circumstances and junk. Just because I'm a gen x'er doesn't mean I'm super cynical and a slacker or anything.