As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oregon Occupiers - Not Guilty of Firearms on Federal Property Despite Video Evidence

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

That's old and yesterday's news.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

They are charged with a shitload more crimes, but this one was literally self evident. They had guns with them on camera.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    What kind of court looks at the actions of these people and says "they're alright, let em go"?

On what planet?

It wasn't a court, it was a jury. A jury that concluded that the defendants did not possess firearms on federal property despite video evidence.

would you mind linking something that says this was one of the things they were charged with in this case?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Conspiracy involves proving an agreement between two or more people. Sometimes it can be harder to prove. I don't think that was the case here, but I also didn't attend the trial.

But not guilty of possessing firearms just is blowing my mind.

not guilty of possessing weapons during a crime, i think.
    Primary charge faced by all seven: Conspiracy to prevent by “force, intimidation, and threats” employees of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and BLM from carrying out their duties.

Other charges faced by some defendants: Theft of government property, use and carry of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.

so, the gun change seems to depend on providing the other bit? not just providing they had guns on federal land, which they will be tried for later.

There was a literal fucking shootout with the FBI in which people died! I'm pretty sure that should qualify under "force, intimidation, and threats"!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What kind of court looks at the actions of these people and says "they're alright, let em go"?

On what planet?

It wasn't a court, it was a jury. A jury that concluded that the defendants did not possess firearms on federal property despite video evidence.

would you mind linking something that says this was one of the things they were charged with in this case?

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/verdict-near-in-malheur-wildlife-refuge-standoff-trial/
    "PORTLAND — Jurors on Thursday acquitted the leaders of a standoff at a national wildlife refuge in Oregon of conspiracy and possession of firearms at a federal facility

The verdict came after a five-week federal trial the group who took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Standoff leaders Ammon and Ryan Bundy and five others were charged with conspiring to impede federal workers from their jobs at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. Several also had faced the firearms charge."

DoctorArch also linked a statute last page

So It Goes on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Conspiracy involves proving an agreement between two or more people. Sometimes it can be harder to prove. I don't think that was the case here, but I also didn't attend the trial.

Primary charge faced by all seven: Conspiracy to prevent by “force, intimidation, and threats” employees of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and BLM from carrying out their duties.

Other charges faced by some defendants: Theft of government property, use and carry of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.

so, the gun change seems to depend on providing the other bit? not just providing they had guns on federal land, which they will be tried for later.

There was a literal fucking shootout with the FBI in which people died! I'm pretty sure that should qualify under "force, intimidation, and threats"!

did that shootout even occur in Oregon?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yes it did. But the only person who shot was killed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I believe he is referencing the shooting at the end of the standoff where Finicum was shot

• Options
    Also DoctorArch, just a quibble - these idiots weren't even an "Oregon" militia. They came from out of state.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I believe he is referencing the shooting at the end of the standoff where Finicum was shot

I wonder if now his family can sue the FBI and win for wrongful death. I mean clearly he was doing nothing wrong up until his death according to this trial.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

On what planet?

Here's the indictment: Link.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I think the article is misleading, I'm trying to find the exact charges for this particular case.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Thanks guys, it would have been a tricky acronym to google :+1:

BLM lives matter. As do mineral rights.

• Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    How the holy fuck?!

Either there is something brought up over trial that I'm COMPLETELY oblivious to, or the prosecution completely fucked themselves in jury selection/voir dire. I'm literally beside myself.

• Options
    Also - how are they not guilty of the depradation of govt property charges, which lists the excavation and damage they did to the Burns Paiute tribal sites? Like, how is there not enough evidence that they did that?

• Options
    Ooooh, I think I found the wiggle.

18 USC 930 (b) is what they were charged with, and that criminalizes the possession of firearms with the intent that said firearm be used in the commission of a crime.

The jury didn't find a conspiracy, or any other crime, and trespass was not a crime they were charged with. Logically, without finding another crime, they couldn't be guilty of violating 18 USC 930 (b).

• Options
    edited October 2016
    snip.... reading a thing

redx on
  • Options
    Also DoctorArch, just a quibble - these idiots weren't even an "Oregon" militia. They came from out of state.

Oh I know :D, but it's an easy shorthand.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

18 USC 930 (b) is what they were charged with, and that criminalizes the possession of firearms with the intent that said firearm be used in the commission of a crime.

The jury didn't find a conspiracy, or any other crime, and trespass was not a crime they were charged with. Logically, without finding another crime, they couldn't be guilty of violating 18 USC 930 (b).

How was there not a conspiracy? They didn't all just show up spontaneously on their own. (I assume this is due to some technical definition of conspiracy.)

• Options

On what planet?

Here's the indictment: Link.

@redx

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Again, I just have a really hard time believing all 12 jurors were this bias. It's a near statistical impossibility that you would find 12 jurors who are all sovereign citizen believers, especially when the prosecution and defense get a hand in picking them. Either something happened in the trial we aren't privy to yet, or the article is misleading and it is still on a partial verdict...or something. I have enough political anger coursing through my veins over the presidency right now, I'm going to try and hold the nuclear anger button on this one until all the facts are out.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Okay so it makes sense even though they were fairly obviously, I thought, guilty of the conspiracy charges. The not guilty on the theft and depradation charges appears to be straight up nullification, then.

• Options

Oh I know :D, but it's an easy shorthand.

Suggestion "Occupiers" :D

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Why weren't there more charges? Trespassing seems like a slam dunk, breaking and entering, destruction of government property, burglary, these are all absolutely charges that could have been tacked on.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Wow, how good is it to be white in America? Can you imagine if this was anybody else? They'd have been dead before they had a chance to even get to court.

• Options

this is what i was trying to get at.

so those other charges could still be pending for a federal court? or something.

• Options
    Why weren't there more charges? Trespassing seems like a slam dunk, breaking and entering, destruction of government property, burglary, these are all absolutely charges that could have been tacked on.

A good question I doubt Billy Williams will answer any time soon unfortunately.

They also DID charge them with stealing and destroying govt property. The jury acquitted.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    What exactly would a jury be moved by here?

The plight of armed lunatics destroying land, screaming into cameras about wanting to start a civil war and urging people to kill police officers?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well they've just assured that this will absolutely happen again. If they hadn't also been charged for past crimes in Nevada they would be getting off completely free for an armed takeover of a federal facility. Like, what the fuck.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

I bet you that loophole gets closed real quick, if that's the case.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options

this is what i was trying to get at.

so those other charges could still be pending for a federal court? or something.

What other charges? On this indictment, they have all been acquitted, except for one where the jury was hung.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_verdicts_annou.html#incart_big-photo

A federal jury on Thursday found Ammon Bundy, his brother Ryan Bundy and five co-defendants not guilty of conspiring to prevent federal employees from doing their jobs through intimidation, threat or force during the 41-day occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The Bundy brothers and occupiers Jeff Banta and David Fry also were found not guilty of having guns in a federal facility. Kenneth Medenbach was found not guilty of stealing government property, and a hung jury was declared on Ryan Bundy's charge of theft of FBI surveillance cameras.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    It's actually incredibly depressing that 12 days away from an election that may result in armed conflict in the US, an armed militia is validated in the courts and there's no repercussions for their actions.

• Options
    P.S.:
    Supporters of the defendants gathered in a joyous hug. One of them, Brand Thornton of Las Vegas, said he had been one of the original occupiers and that he has been at the trial since Oct. 2.

The verdict "means everything," Thornton said. It's huge for ranchers and land rights within Harney County and across the West, he said.

"We did something peaceful and wanted to stay peaceful," said Thornton, who described himself as a close friend of the defendants and stressed that peaceful protest at the occupation was hammered into everyone's from Day 1.

"This is for the people of Oregon," Thornton said. "This was never for us."

FUCK YOU. WE DIDN'T WANT YOUR BULLSHIT SEDITIOUS ACTIONS. LEAVE.

• Options
    Are there other indictments?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    What exactly would a jury be moved by here?

The plight of armed lunatics destroying land, screaming into cameras about wanting to start a civil war and urging people to kill police officers?

White people having sad times. Oregon's history as a white supremacist enclave is relevant here, I'm guessing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Are there other indictments?

In Nevada, against the Bundys, yes.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Guys...guys...this is bullshit, but they still haven't faced federal charges. It's almost guaranteed where this is where they'll get kicked in the teeth and sent to jail for 20+ years.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I love it when people come to another state they aren't residents of, do something ridiculously illegal, destroy sacred grounds to natives from this area and then have the gal to claim "It was all for you Oregonians, we just want you to be free man!". What in the actual fuck.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »
    Guys...guys...this is bullshit, but they still haven't faced federal charges. It's almost guaranteed where this is where they'll get kicked in the teeth and sent to jail for 20+ years.

Crayon, this was a federal case. Federal jury.

• Options
    edited October 2016

i am guessing because on Friday their federal case starts, and the Federal and States attorneys worked out a plan to end up with the greatest impact(chance of winning x punishment). Given they can only be charged for each offence in one or the other jurisdiction.

seems like this state stuff was kinda hard to prove bullshit that the Federal prosecutor didn't want.

or i watch too much tv

edit: apparently not. prosecuting attorney seems to have made some damn questionable choices.

redx on