The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - Speak

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - Speak

Speak

Speak

http://campcomic.com/comic/368

Read the full story here


Unknown User on

Posts

  • Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    and so it begins (in the voice of Kosh). I feel for him.

  • Bluestorm83Bluestorm83 Registered User regular
    Ah. I see.

    I am reminded of the episode of M*A*S*H where Major Winchester has a young wounded soldier who is mocked by the other members of his unit, and even his commanding officer, because of his stutter. Winchester rebukes them, takes the boy under his wing, and gives him his copy of The Odyssey, telling him that despite what his "friends" have been saying, stuttering has nothing at all to do with intelligence.

    Then we see Winchester return to his tent, having received an audio-letter recorded by his sister Honoria, who he has always spoken of in the highest regard. He starts the tape, and of course, we learn that his sister too stutters.

  • briguybriguy Registered User regular
    :(
    This hit close to home. I didn't stutter, but got made fun of because how I spoke.
    My brother had to have speech therapy.
    Poor Brian.

  • SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    I stuttered, I am also built like a bear, always have been. Class is a very safe place to laugh at people.

  • WizarDruWizarDru Registered User regular
    GODDAMMIT BLUESTORM83. Now I'm remembering that episode and I'm having the feels. It's too early in the day for the feels.

    Also: this comic. AGAIN. The Feels.

  • DublinDublin Registered User regular
    I remember a few earlier comics where Brian speaks without stuttering. Like so many things, nervousness play a role, I guess.

  • TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    I was excited to get Brian's terrible, terrible past, but now I'm just sad. :(

    Well, that's to be expected, I guess.

  • CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    I'm probably stating the obvious, but I don't see Brian getting sent to the Camp because of his stutter. What he may have done to those who made fun of his stutter, on the other hand....

    briguy
  • briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I'm probably stating the obvious, but I don't see Brian getting sent to the Camp because of his stutter. What he may have done to those who made fun of his stutter, on the other hand....

    Yeah. I think we're about to see a pile of broken bodies. :|

  • evileeyoreevileeyore Grognard 100 hurricane swampRegistered User regular
    Yes Brian, feel your anger, let it flow through... take the first steps to the Dark Side of the Camp...

  • jerodastjerodast Registered User regular
    As usual I am completely unsurprised how excellent this backstory is already shaping up to be!

    @Bluestorm33 MASH is one of those shows I've seen a number of episodes on reruns when I was a kid and hasn't quite risen to the top of my rewatch list yet. Even though I haven't actually seen that one I can almost picture it already! Your post just bumped the show a few more notches up my list :)

  • briguybriguy Registered User regular
    jerodast wrote: »
    As usual I am completely unsurprised how excellent this backstory is already shaping up to be!

    @Bluestorm33 MASH is one of those shows I've seen a number of episodes on reruns when I was a kid and hasn't quite risen to the top of my rewatch list yet. Even though I haven't actually seen that one I can almost picture it already! Your post just bumped the show a few more notches up my list :)

    MASH is really good and manages to do very touching stories.

    I mean this is its theme song:

  • CardboardPizzasCardboardPizzas Registered User regular
    Oh, my poor baby.

  • hajenhajen Registered User regular
    @Katie&;Adam
    I see the continuation of no full frontal faces of adults (except in old photographs) and a question came to mind; was this a 'Peanuts' influence or possibly an inverted 'Wilson' from Home Improvement or an original decision that happens to be a happy coincidence?

  • JachraJachra Registered User regular
    Poor Brian :<

    "We do not allow wizards to cast spells in our game, for that is the most unbalanced rule of all."
  • GedGed Registered User regular
    wow. that last panel is heart wrenching.

  • SanderloSanderlo Registered User regular
    So painful.

  • LunarNexusLunarNexus Registered User regular
    The last panel is the literal definition of "you did this to me"

  • KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User, Strip Search regular
    hajen wrote: »
    @Katie&;Adam
    I see the continuation of no full frontal faces of adults (except in old photographs) and a question came to mind; was this a 'Peanuts' influence or possibly an inverted 'Wilson' from Home Improvement or an original decision that happens to be a happy coincidence?

    There's a couple reasons why I try to obscure the adults' faces in flashbacks. Since the story is about the kids, I didn't really want the adult characters to have too much attention put on them. I want the kids to always be the focus.

    The other reason is a design thing...the kid designs are pretty cartoony and goofy, with the big heads and eyes and everything. If I drew the adults to look like they exist in the same world and are just as cartoony, I feel like it would take away some of the more emotional stuff I go for in the flashback scenes. Designing the adults to look totally different though (more realistic), might make the kids look really weird next to them. So my solution was to just show as little of them as possible! :]

  • ZavianZavian Senātus Populusque Rōmānus Registered User regular
    KatieJRice wrote: »
    hajen wrote: »
    @Katie&;Adam
    I see the continuation of no full frontal faces of adults (except in old photographs) and a question came to mind; was this a 'Peanuts' influence or possibly an inverted 'Wilson' from Home Improvement or an original decision that happens to be a happy coincidence?

    There's a couple reasons why I try to obscure the adults' faces in flashbacks. Since the story is about the kids, I didn't really want the adult characters to have too much attention put on them. I want the kids to always be the focus.

    The other reason is a design thing...the kid designs are pretty cartoony and goofy, with the big heads and eyes and everything. If I drew the adults to look like they exist in the same world and are just as cartoony, I feel like it would take away some of the more emotional stuff I go for in the flashback scenes. Designing the adults to look totally different though (more realistic), might make the kids look really weird next to them. So my solution was to just show as little of them as possible! :]

    Before I read the comments section I actually thought Brian was just checking out the teacher via male gaze at first, but that explanation makes sense. Excellent strip as always!

    steam_sig.png
  • The ManagementThe Management Registered User regular
    HE STUTTERS

    Holy bananas, I know what he's going through, I stutter! Keep on keepin' on, Brian! Practice makes perfect!

  • PharylonPharylon Registered User regular
    Brian has talked before, though. I feel like he's gotten quieter as the series has progressed, but he definitely talked in a lot of the early comics.

  • briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Pharylon wrote: »
    Brian has talked before, though. I feel like he's gotten quieter as the series has progressed, but he definitely talked in a lot of the early comics.

    I think of the earlier comics as like the pilot, first season of a TV show. The basic premise is there, but they were still finding firm footing for the characters and setting. The book/PDF from the Kickstarter smooths over some of this. But there are inconsistencies that have been fixed as the setting became clearer (like the lantern).
    I see them as loose continuity they exist and effect the story, but they have fluid canon.

  • UnwieldyUnwieldy Registered User regular
    This hit me in the feels. I was in his position at that age more than I'd like to remember.

    briguy
  • mtbmtb Registered User regular
    Peace is a lie; life is passion. Through passion, I gain strength; through strength, I gain power; through power, I gain victory; through victory, my chains are broken. Life itself will set me free.

  • serpretserpret Registered User new member
    "Peace is a lie; life is passion. Through passion, I gain strength; through strength, I gain power; through power, I gain victory; through victory, my chains are broken. Life itself will set me free." Spoken absolutely. Like a true Sith lord :D

  • Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I was mocked at his age, really my whole life. . . I still get looks and hear comments behind my back. Today I used the grocery store scooter for the 1st time because the carts push much easier than my walker and it's terrifying. So I drove an electric scooter for the 1st time. One guy made a compassionate comment to me which was kind but two women I drove past had snide, biting comments about fat lazy people using conveniences for 'really' disabled people. I maintained control and said nothing because I've handled this treatment my entire life. Brian's fuse may have been lit and it might be short.

    Hawk1966 on
  • Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Yup... crying now. Thanks for that...

  • Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    Poor guy. I hate how society/media craps on people with stutters or play it out as a comedic element. It's a disability for crying out loud! One of my good friends has one and he feels like people don't want to get to know him because of that. :(

Sign In or Register to comment.