As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Annual [Thanksgiving] Thread for Giving Thanks!

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
aaaaahhhhhhhhh there's a chill in the morning air.

the leaves are changing and falling all over my car. christmas displays are out en mass.

It's getting to be time for the greatest holiday ever devised!

THANKSGIVING!

A time for friends, family, and loved ones to come together and give thank for all that we have. Just so happens we have all this food! On the table! For you to eat! RIGHT NOW!

Everyone celebrates Thanksgiving in their own way, but lets (in keeping with tradition) go over the basics.

Turkey. Baked, deep fried, roasted over a spit, or whichever way you want, is your main attraction! Slather butter and fresh herbs under the skin and jam some cut up apples in its body cavity for best results!
vloblwlsn8qt.jpg

Mashed Potatoes! Boil em up, mash em with cream cheese, onions, garlic, cream, bacon, rosemary, or expensive cured Italian meats! Or all of those things! They're your mashed potatoes!
wag7afi5koci.jpg

Roasted Root Vegetables. I prefer carrots, onions, and yams, but you can add in whatever you want. Set them under your turkey and dump some butter and a big chug of wine and they'll turn out real nice!
e470fn70nuo9.jpg

Peas! With Pearl Onions. and Bacon apparently because why not?! Holiday calories don't count.
nnsz9vmuhpe0.jpg

STUFFING! Add everything to this! Then drizzle it with gravy. Sausage, onion, mushrooms, celery, corn bread, wheat bread, turkey bits, bacon, cheese, anything!
nz3xiwm08fqb.jpg

Speaking of Gravy .... Onion and Sage Gravy is the way to go!
fkldmw4q0xbf.jpg

Corn Bread! YUM! With a ton of butter and honey! I make mine in cast iron =)
k43o1lodntoe.jpg

last but not least, you can put these on anything and they'll be a treat!
mp2jpw4kw5mv.jpg

"But Xaquin" you say, "Thanksgiving isn't just about food is it? Weren't there Pilgrims or something?"

YES! There were! They celebrated Thanksgiving after their native american slave taught them how not to die in the new world! Also they celebrated about 15 years after it was already being celebrated in Virginia, but whatever.

The most important Thanksgiving Day traditions are as follows and should be observed yearly:

MST3k Turkey Day: Beginning in 1997, it has existed in some form or another for nearly 20 years!
Watching the Lions lose on TV: We all hope
Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Thanksgiving Day Massacree in 12 part harmony: He's been singing that song for 15 minutes. He's not proud. Or tired.
Eating Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Apple Pie and then seconds of Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, and Apple Pie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

So! Who's excited for Thanksgiving?!

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Favorite holiday of the year. Especially special this year because we're hosting for the first time in the house we bought.

Give. Me. Green. Bean. Casserole. Now.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    Favorite holiday of the year. Especially special this year because we're hosting for the first time in the house we bought.

Give. Me. Green. Bean. Casserole. Now.

YES!

With french's onions!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Saw my first campus turkey this morning, pretty sure that means a wet christmas right?

tynic wrote: »
    Saw my first campus turkey this morning, pretty sure that means a wet christmas right?

Like a mascot?

Or is that a variety of turkey?

I'd suggest roasting it with a cut up apple or onion in it's craw after rubbing butter and sage under its skin. rub a tiny bit of olive oil on the skin to crisp it up.***

***unless you're talking about a mascot

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Please don't cook your school mascot.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving means one thing : Eggnog. The sweet nectar of the gods, ambrosia itself, and the thing I am most likely to contract all sorts of health issues from. I have a real issue with eggnog, if it was sold year round I would be diabetic and probably suffering from major heart disease right now. I have literally had nothing but eggnog to eat/drink for an entire day, multiple times in the past. I assume if it was sold year round I would tire of it, but damn do I love it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    I like the Southern Comfort eggnog they sell at grocery stores

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas.

Xaquin wrote: »

Like a mascot?

I'd suggest roasting it with a cut up apple or onion in it's craw after rubbing butter and sage under its skin. rub a tiny bit of olive oil on the skin to crisp it up.***

Neither! A campus turkey is just a turkey that wanders onto the campus grounds. We get quite a lot of them.

They're probably delicious.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

No man it is Pet or bust. I am sure some people will read that and think "This man has never had good eggnog if he thinks Pet is the tits" But no, I have tried many and all fail to live up to that glorious concoction.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    I have only ever drunk homemade eggnog and I intend to stick with that tradition.
    homemade VEGAN eggnog

furlion wrote: »

No man it is Pet or bust. I am sure some people will read that and think "This man has never had good eggnog if he thinks Pet is the tits" But no, I have tried many and all fail to live up to that glorious concoction.

I've never heard of this brand. I'll have to check it out!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Like a mascot?

Neither! A campus turkey is just a turkey that wanders onto the campus grounds. We get quite a lot of them.

They're probably delicious.

Just watch out, the males can get quite aggressive in the spring. I saw one attack a car in Needham a few years ago.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Pet still exists as a brand?

oh I'm steering clear of the fuckers. I come from a country where large birds will straight up kick your liver through your spine, I don't intend to investigate what yours are capable of. They probably have guns.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I just found out that apparently one can age eggnog

seriously, it's a thing that people do

supposedly the alcohol in there will prevent bacterial growth

finally, the drink for those of us who have wished we could drink months-old cream

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    1. I discovered recently how ridiculously easy it is to make Cranberry sauce.
    2. Homemade cranberry sauce tastes great on pancakes!
    3. Children still wont eat it even if Dad says is better when it's homemade.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    do not put cream cheese in mashed potatoes, blech. BLECH!
    plain old mashed potatoes served with salt and pepper and butter for me, please.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    But will there be a mst3k turkey day marathon this year?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I have access to a kitchen this year and I know for a fact that farmers raise turkeys around here, so we are going hardcore. Stealing a recipe for creamed corn as well, plus also Costo gets the pumpkin pies way out here, so I can save the oven for the bird and browning the taters, and Goddammit, guys, I have high, high hopes for this year after two years of sighing wistfully at pictures of home.

Edit: I think Thanksgiving is legit the only Holiday I get homesick for, I usually spend actual Christmas back in the States.

sarukun on
    Uriel wrote: »
    But will there be a mst3k turkey day marathon this year?

Do like I do and make your own!

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    This is going to be the worst Thanksgiving.

Normally I make a big ass turkey, mashed taters and rutagabas, with like a pound of butter, two tons of homemade stuffing, baked cauliflower with cheddar cheese, and a pumpkin pie.

Due to health issues I can't eat any of that this year. So I'll be enjoying a nice piece of steamed chicken with some broccoli.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Rutagaba sounds like the name of a villain in a fairytale.

But put some butter on it and it tastes like sex.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm thankful it's almost time for Christmas.

Halloween marks a four-five month period of dogshit eating habits: candy, turkey, pork shoulder, every Goddamn Chinese food dish that exists.

Trying to finagle my way into Chinese New Year meal times with this lovely young lady, wish me luck, I still got three months to make this happen.

I'm thankful it's almost time for Christmas.

Hmmmmmm

I approve of the thankfulness, but Christmas

Christmas rules, it is Cuban mealtimes at my house, pernil, con gri, yuca, mothernfucking sopa de platano.

Do not fucking talk shit in Christmas, Xaquin, I get this exactly once a year.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Thanksgiving isn't a speed bump on the way to Christmas, though.

sig.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Last year the three of us living in my apartment all split Thanksgiving cooking duties and did 2 dishes each. This year I think our roommate is leaving for Thanksgiving, so it'll just be my girlfriend and I. I haven't really thought about what to do this year. Maybe I'll just make some turkey sandwiches and a fancy salad and stuffing for sides. I'm not huge on straight roast turkey anyway.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

finally, the drink for those of us who have wished we could drink months-old cream

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last Thanksgiving Day I binge watched Jessica Jones and got black-out drunk off of bourbon on my couch.

Let's see if this year is worse or better!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Last year the three of us living in my apartment all split Thanksgiving cooking duties and did 2 dishes each. This year I think our roommate is leaving for Thanksgiving, so it'll just be my girlfriend and I. I haven't really thought about what to do this year. Maybe I'll just make some turkey sandwiches and a fancy salad and stuffing for sides. I'm not huge on straight roast turkey anyway.
    Your local grocery store might do "Thanksgiving in a box"-type deal, where you get all the major holiday foods pre-cooked and sealed (not frozen) so all you have to do is heat it up on the day.

sig.gif
    sarukun wrote: »
    Christmas rules, it is Cuban mealtimes at my house, pernil, con gri, yuca, mothernfucking sopa de platano.

Do not fucking talk shit in Christmas, Xaquin, I get this exactly once a year.

Oh hey I love me some Christmas too*

Except the massive bills

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the proper way to age eggnog is in the garbage, where it fucking belongs

Looks like I'll have my oldest this year as my youngest is going with his mom

I don't have any plans except to make 10 tons of food whether I'm alone or with friends or family!

edited November 2016
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the proper way to age eggnog is in the garbage, where it fucking belongs

Easy in the Holiday Cheer, there Pip, you're doling out what could be fatal doses.

sarukun on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oh fuck, I forgot we're in Eggnog season.

Gonna have to get on that, soon.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    GUYS STOP EVERYTHING STOP

STUFFING WAFFLES

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN